Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm still confused how Rassilon fits into the silly 'the Doctor invented regeneration' thing, considering Rassilon's whole thing was to be an amoral manipulator at the dawn of Time Lord society, cover up his crimes with myth and legend, so that the Time Lords keep bringing him back. Dunno if I'm misremembering it, but wasn't it implied that he stole the secrets of regeneration from the great vampires, then genocided them to cover it up?

So the Doctor was around at the same time as Omega, Rassilon and the Other (though the Other was VERY loosely canon to begin with)? Doctor Who canon is a fun mess, but this was a mess mess.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

What is Time Lord Victorious actually about? The promos just seem to go on about it being a multimedia event and not what it is or how you follow the story. So do you have to read the comics, then the books and audio plays in order to follow it? Is it a story with a middle, beginning and end? Is the play the end, and how will people experience the ending if they don't attend?

I thought it was just a multi-Doctor story with Eight and Ten, with comics and books filling in for Nine. But it isn't? And t-shirts are a part of the story?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Rochallor posted:

If the roadmap is any indication, they've totally embraced comic book crossover-style storytelling, so the first several comics/audios are designated ROAD TO TIME LORD VICTORIOUS, which means that they have absolutely nothing to do with the story except at the end the same character show up and says a few things. Let's have him be... I dunno, the carnival operator from Carnival of Monsters? Then in TIME LORD VICTORIOUS #1, the carnival operator is shockingly killed off and then all of the Doctors have to fight each other. Romana takes off all her clothes for some reason in TIME LORD VICTORIOUS #3. In TIME LORD VICTORIOUS #11, the whole crossover is retconned out of existence and the Fifth Doctor has lightning powers. But stay tuned for TIME LORD VICTORIOUS: AFTERMATH!

I'm familar with comic book crossover road maps, but this map is still gibberish. So how do you follow the, you know, story? Are the Eighth Doctor audios a main part, or a side story? Is the comic the main focus? If you don't go to the live event, do you miss the ending? I'm guessing the Tenth Doctor is the main character? If you read one of the books but miss an audio, what then? How is it one story when its divided up over several formats?

It's always nice to see the Eighth Doctor get a big push, but this is confusing. Why are some of the audio plays being released on vinyl? Why is a t-shirt and action figure a major part of the story? Multi-Doctor crossovers are meant to be fun little self contained things, right?

I keep saying I'm going to get back into the audio dramas, but never do because of time and money. Haven't listened to one in years, but I had fun with some of them.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That's the way you do it, get your money for nothing and your kicks for free.

Big Finish are giving away The Eleven for free this week (I assume there's not some catch). I haven't listened to a Big Finish audio in a very, very long time, over a decade. Is it worth downloading? I keep meaning to get some of the Paul McGann post-Charlie stuff, but never get round to it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

cargohills posted:

The catch is that it's the first of four parts of a(n expensive) box set, which is the first of a(n expensive) four box set series, which is one of four Paul McGann box set series that already exist with more undoubtedly on the way.

Yeah its the price that puts me off, but the older audios are like £3 each digitally, so I might have to get some, because I've only heard a handful of the audios before.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

OK, so if I'm getting my head around it, the two novels are the main plot of TLV, and all the other stuff is filling in side stories about those?
Also apparently remenents of Faction Paradox show up in one of the side stories? I thought they weren't canon to the main Doctor Who universe, since the Eighth Doctor Adventures take place in an alternative timeline, but I guess that multiverse hopping is sort of their thing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Do the Daleks still have an Emperor, Time Lord Victorious hijinks aside? Dalek lore is confusing and heavy with retcons.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Are the original War Doctor audios any good?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Ace is top tier companion level, mostly for that scene alone. Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred had (and still do) have excellent chemistry together, it's one of those castings that just works.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Sophie Aldred has done a ton of work in children's TV over the years, and like a lot of the Doctor Who cast, a lot of voice over stuff.

I remember reading that because Anthony Ainley was quite independently wealthy, he did acting in the 80s for fun, rather than needing it for an income. Apparently he'd phone up the Doctor Who production office before the start of each series and ask if they needed him for shooting. If he was told that he was going to be sent a script, he'd do the Master laugh and hang up. Not sure how true that is.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It's so utterly bizarre and quite impressive that they got Eric Roberts back.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, Eric does a lot of shlock. Fun fact: he recorded all of his dialogue on the phone for that movie in fifteen minutes as a favour to the director.
I meant more in terms of him doing so much work, I'm surprised he even remembers his role on Doctor Who after all this time.
Do Big Finish tend to record with the actors in one recording studio, or does everyone record by themselves in a booth and editing puts it together?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Anyone check out the first episode of Daleks! yet? The animation is a bit dodgy, but they make it work, and the synth heavy score is very nice. The voice acting is top notch (Nicholas Briggs shouting "Explain!" in the Dalek voice will never not be funny).

Big Finish are having a Paul McGann sale until the 18th - getting The Eleven for free a few weeks ago really recaptured my interest in the Eighth Doctor. I've listened to a few of the 8 and Charley audios over the years, but most of them are on Spotify now, and they're only £3 when they're not on sale, so I'm planning to go through them at some point - I don't really care about C'rizz as a character at all, so the Divergent arc doesn't appeal to me.

I was thinking about getting The Girl Who Never Was and Dark Eyes 1. Is that a good pick?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So, what exactly IS this Time Lord Victorious stuff. Like what's the general plot? I thought it'd be about some kind of evil alternate universe Tenth Doctor from the end of Waters of Mars, but it's not that?? It seems weirdly hard to look up what this trans-media event is about, unless I am just horribly bad at googling.

From what I'm able to piece together, the two novels are the main story, everything else is just side stories? After his meltdown at the end of The Waters of Mars, the Tenth Doctor decides to go to the start of the universe and defeat the creatures that set lifespans for races. This starts to break time, so the Eighth and Ninth Doctor aren't happy about this.

The Big Finish audio trilogy has 8 meet the Time Squad Daleks and decide to go back, and the Doctor Who Magazine comic has 9 and vampires. Also there's a new big brain Dalek, something to do with an escape room, video shorts about UNIT finding a hole in the universe and Ood short stories on T-shirts, and Faction Paradox might be back in the main universe or something.

It's all very confusing and I've not been able to find plot summaries online for most of it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

They weren't very clear on the fact that the novels are the main story, as in the actual plot of the event. And they've just put out a new story order that goes beyond the second book, making it even more confusing.

As far as I can piece together:

The two novels are the main story, with the Tenth Doctor having his crisis and going to the Dark Times and interfering with the Kotturuh, and 8 and 9 trying to talk their future self down from the brink of madness.
The Big Finish audios are how 8 gets to the Dark Times, meets Brian the Ood, and has to ally with the Dalek Time Squad.
The Doctor Who Magazine comic is how 9 gets to the Dark Times, and vampires are involved.

That's the core stuff.

The annual story is extra lore on the Kotturuh, as is the newsletter short story.
The Faction Paradox story is linked but on the fringe, since Faction Paradox aren't really canon to Doctor Who anymore.
The comic making app stories are side short stories.
The Master audios are more Kotturuh lore and background lore for the Big Finish stories.
The Tenth Doctor comic is set after time starting breaking.
Daleks! ties into the action figures short stories, and is stories about the new Dalek Emperor.
BBC audio are doing an audio book and also an audio play that can be listened to in either order, a la Flip Flop, but it's also on vinyl for some reason.
There's an Ood t-shirt with a short story written on it.
The UNIT webcasts tie into the live show experience that we don't know much about.
There's an escape room and a Fourth Doctor audio that serves as prequel, as well as "print and play escape room".
The VR game is getting an update of some kind.
Also the TARDIS got a POV short story on the BBC website.

That's assuming that I'm even understanding this right, its very confusing.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 15, 2020

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The restoriation empire will probably be erased from history by the end ofTime Lord Victorious, since otherwise that's a massive change to the brand, but hopefully the Dalek Prime Strategist sticks around in some form. He's so wonderfully slimy and smug, and you can tell Nicholas Briggs is having fun with it.

Dalek Time Squad is both the silliest and best name for the TLV Daleks.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Isn't UNIT being defunded in 2020 a background plot point in Stranded too, from what I've read?

I hope that there's a scene where someone goes "those are Daleks mate" straight away. Though Chris Noth is always fun to watch.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I just finished the first Dark Eyes set, and really enjoyed it - the sound design in the World War one scenes in particular was very good, McGann's Doctor got to go through a wide range of emotions, and Toby Jones was superb. I've just paused Dark Eyes 2 to type this - The Traitor isn't grabbing me as much as The Great War did so far, because the Doctor hasn't really said or done anything yet, but I'm guessing that'll pick up as the story goes on.

I did get a quiet chuckle out of Nicholas Briggs saying that he wouldn't be sure how to do stories set in the Time War, so Big Finish probably won't do any, and McGann being wistful while wondering if the TV Movie was going to be the only time he'd get to play The Doctor in live action. Hindsight is hilarious.

Edit: The Traitor did pick up!

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 5, 2020

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just going through Dark Eyes 3, and I'm finding it a bit of a step down from Dark Eyes 1 and 2. I'm not finding The Eminence that interesting as a villain to be honest, and I feel like I'm missing a bit of the context for why the character is meant to be so threatening - lot of telling, not showing.
On the other hand, the Alex McQueen Master has grown on me - so this incarnation is meant to be the first of the new cycle that the Time Lords gave him to prep for the Time War, and he's in-between the Eric Roberts and Derek Jacobi incarnations? The Master's timeline can be a little confusing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Dark Eyes 1 was fantastic: McGann gets to take the Doctor through a big emotional range (I'd never listened to the Lucie Miller stuff past the first series, but the Doctor in a maniac state determined to see the end of the universe no matter what was a great hook). Ruth Bradley was a great foil as Molly, the atmosphere and sound design was top notch, Toby Jones was a wonderful guest star, and the Daleks were interesting.

So far I don't feel like the Eminence is that interesting a threat: they keep saying what a great threat it is, but it doesn't seem like it? I feel like I'm missing context from the 6th and 4th Doctor stories. It was fine as a background story element in Dark Eyes 2 though. I guess it's a hard concept to pull off in an audio medium - glowing gas zombies - but I'm feeling that the body horror and dread could have been played up more. I've still got two more Dark Eyes 3 episodes to go (and I did enjoy The Reviled, it felt like a nice inversion of The Traitor), and Dark Eyes 4. Maybe it was just the first story only having the Doctor watch what's happening on a screen and tutting at The Master with a random Time Lord that didn't do it for me. I like it when the Eighth Doctor gets right in the middle of things.

Is Ravenous that bad? I was thinking about carrying on with the bundles, if they're the same price, and I really enjoyed that free episode of Doom Coalition, so I was planning on getting that next. Or maybe going through some of the 8/Charley stuff on spotify - I really liked the McGann/Fisher dynamic back in the day, and thought Charley was an excellent companion.

EDIT: On to Dark Eyes 3: Masterplan, and the dialogue between the Doctor and the Master is so sharp when they're debating each other.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 13, 2020

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

On to Dark Eyes 4. Liv is a great companion, Nicola Walker gives her just the right amount of dry matter-of-factness, without overplaying the cynicism.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I love how he can talk so happily and passionately about the role, then the moment it's suggested he might pop back and do the show for the BBC again just goes,"I know what you're getting at... only when hell freezes over! :haw:"

The former Doctors always seem to look back on their time playing the character on TV fondly, and it's nice to see Ecclestone seeming happier to talk about it positively, considering he's been open about his mental health struggles and mixed feelings during filming. It'll be interesting to see if he's co-starring with Billie Piper, or if these stories will slot into the gap between regeneration and Rose, since the 9th Doctor had a fairly short lifespan.

Even Colin Baker seems to enjoy the role now, and the BBC fired him, and had McCoy fall over in a coat and wig to kill him off unceremoniously.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just finished Dark Eyes 4, I really enjoyed the series overall, even if I didn't like the The Eminence that much, and it never hits the heights of the first set again. Nicholas Briggs shouting in the Dalek voice is hilarious.

I've just set up my spotify account, so there's a decent selection of the early stuff on there, or I might get the Doom Coalition bundle. Though I feel in the mood for some Seven/Ace stories first.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

One thing I've always liked about Doctor Who is the relationship between the Doctor and the TARDIS. Rather than having it be just a plot device to get the characters where the story needs them to be, it feels like a character in its own right, and to do that with some wobbly sets and bleeping sounds, takes a lot of heart in the writing and acting to get the dynamic right.
For a short story to promote other stuff, I quite enjoyed "What the TARDIS thought of Time Lord Victorious" for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm listening to The Chimes of Midnight on Spotify right now - I haven't heard it in well over a decade and a half, and its excellent. India Fisher really gets to shine, and the atmosphere balances horror, dark comedy and self aware murder mystery wonderfully.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 23, 2020