Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Remember 2018, when people believed that Doctor Who was going to be better than ever, now that we had a woman playing the Doctor? Well, it worked...for a season. Season 37, Chibnall's and Whittaker's first, scored ratings that almost matched revival-high levels! Season 38, on the other hand, had revival-LOW ratings, with finale the Timeless Children having the worst ratings for the show since the Curse of Fenric. That's not ideal.

It hurts me to say this, but the ratings reflect how good the season was. Good ideas for stories got dragged down by CONCEPTS and PARADIGM SHIFTS and BULLSHIT. Everything we thought we knew about the Doctor's life before leaving Gallifrey with Susan was retconned into having the Doctor have countless Brain of Morbius lives, including a Doctor whose TARDIS looks like a 1960's police box for no reason other than be a red herring into thinking she lived in season 6B. Captain Jack Harkness made his first televised appearance since 2011, but he didn't meet or speak to the Thirteenth Doctor. Lenny Henry played a man who was only 93% human for no explained reason. Orphan 55 was Earth all along, even though that twist has been done before in Doctor Who and contradicted several other "future Earth" stories. The best episode was probably Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror.

Now, we wait for the festive special. Oh, but don't worry about cancellation - there are still three more guaranteed seasons. Thank you, People's Republic of China!

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS gently caress it, I don't know what we do about spoilers now
We have a designated spoiler thread, but under Chibnall the amount of spoilers have dried like the lake in that one episode. Use your best judgement. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

WHERE DO I START?
The Woman Who Fell to Earth is a good starting point, as the current Doctor makes her first starring appearance there alongside her current companions. This is not to discount Doctors 9-12, but so far their stories have not made a major point in the tenure of Whittaker's Doctor. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
If you're an American, you're in luck! You can watch the original run of Doctor Who both on TV (Retro TV and some PBS affiliates) and online (via BritBox*)! The United Kingdom and Canada get BritBox, too. If you're Australian, I'm sorry but you'll have to buy or rent the episodes physically or digitally for now - BritBox hasn't launched there yet.

For the current run:

ON TELEVISION
UK - BBC One (first run), W
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS affiliates
Canada - CTV Sci-Fi Channel
Australia - ABC (first run), ABC ME, Syfy

STREAMING
UK - BBC iPlayer, Netflix
USA - HBO Max
Canada - Crave
Australia - Stan, Prime Video

*Day of the Daleks, Planet of the Daleks, the Five Doctors, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks are not available, along with almost every serial missing at least one episode.

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU-RAYs?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE NOT-AT-ALL BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are literally thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people like Minuet in Hell, believe it or not). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

The Monthly Range
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Up to 262nd(!) release this month.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

The Seventh Doctor: The New Adventures
Hey, remember the Virgin New Adventures? These take place during those! No, I don't know how to find cheap copies of those books.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition / The Eighth Doctor - The Time War / Ravenous / Stranded
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The Tenth Doctor Adventures
David Tennant reprises his role in mini-seasons every chance he can get, and the results are very RTD-like. In a good way!

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: SOME OF THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles originally were one-handers, but now may contain small casts, which the Early Adventure always have.

The Ones with Fake Doctors
The First Doctor Adventures, the Third Doctor Adventures, and the Ninth/Tenth/Eleventh/Twelfth Doctor Chronicles feature people who are not the original actors playing the roles of the title Doctor. If you're OK with that, by all means give them a try.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

THE DISCORD
Here it is. The future is now!

FINALLY, let's take a look back....all the way to ten years ago! Lawrence Miles was the topic, who at the time was slagging then-upcoming showrunner Steven Moffat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

British people are fascinating. You fuckers used to run the civilized world and now you've been reduced to writing angry journal entries about how a big mean sci-fi writer must be making fun of you because one of his characters shares your name.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Under the Lake/Before the Flood wasn't BAD, per se, just unremarkable. I remember the guy from Slipknot did some screams for a monster, and there was an actual deaf woman in the cast, but that's about it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
They put out T-shirts for every episode this year, which I guess sell?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It looks like Doctor Who is no longer streaming on Prime Video in the US.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Again, they've already sold the rights to seasons 38-40 to China. They're not going to renege on that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

Why do people poo poo on Moffat? Aren't all the best Doctor Who seasons under his reign?

There was no season in 2016.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
In "Why you hold off on buying single episode Blu-ray" news, Resolution will be on the Series 12 box set.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Would Time and the Rani be improved if the Doctor was a woman? These are things to think about.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
My baseless projection for the new scene is a one-hander featuring a post-regeneration Ninth Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Following up on Moffat’s watchalong, RTD is doing a watchalong for Rose on Thursday at 7 GMT, exactly 15 years to the day of its original transmission.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Happy 100th birthday, Patrick Troughton! I'd count down the 100 greatest moments of the Second Doctor, but it looks like about half of them are missing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Believe me, you'd know if Chibnall wrote it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Namtab posted:

Man wha t is it with people and wanting to rewrite the doctor who backstory

RTD and Moffat didn’t rewrite the Doctor’s backstory any further than “why did the Doctor leave Gallifrey in the first place?”. Chibnall, however, did a Looms.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Honest, possibly dumb question: has there been a story yet where 13 has to rescue a companion in trouble?

e: Oh yeah, Spyfall.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 10, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, at least we know the next season is airing in 2021.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bastille Day this year will mark the exact date that the time since Rose first aired will match the time between Survival part 3 and Rose.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hope Lowtax enjoys my :fivecbux:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Good choice, whoever chooses the stories.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I can GUARANTEE you that Pertwee would have punched the unbreakable wall down by accident at least once had Heaven Sent been made in his era.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Peter Davison, seen here during his brief stint as a member of Genesis.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TinTower posted:

The Scottish lad being mentioned is Lewis Capaldi.

I looked this up, and yes, they are related: Peter Capaldi is Lewis Capaldi's second cousin, once removed.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

howe_sam posted:

He shaved it for suicide squad didn't he?

Hair can grow back, you know.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Now I want to see Omega come back for the 60th anniversary in an even sillier costume.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Chokes McGee posted:

Is this the one with the delightful :smug: precocious scamp One?

You're going to have to be more specific on your First Doctor stories.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Why does no one read the OPs I make :smith:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vinylshadow posted:

Every time any new character shows up, we can say "They're probably the Doctor at a different point in time" and be right 60% of the time

“...All You Doctors...”

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Chokes McGee posted:

It me, I'm the doctor

It’s an honor to speak with you, Mr, Picardo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’ll write a script about a race of extremely litigious aliens.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vinylshadow posted:

The Doctor shouldn't be some grand mythical figure

They're the kind of person to walk up to and introduce themselves to whatever is trying to kill them and getting away through guile, recontextualized knowledge and a frankly alarming amount of luck

...I mean, that's basically early Eleven, isn't it?

That's essentially the plot for the Eleventh Hour, yes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
For a second, I thought that audio recording was by Alan Vega, one-half of Suicide.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Astroman posted:

Yeah, she wrote such fantastic, in depth analysis of every episode of the classic series, then gave serious consideration to the books, comics, and audios that kept it alive for over 15 years. But as soon as she got to 2005, it was like nothing was "Real Doctor Who" except the new show.

Clearly it was a narration she was trying to create, that everything before had led up to the moment when RTD brought it back, and that this new series was the culmination of that past and moved beyond it all to something greater.

Problem is this theory holds no water when you see that post 2005 Big Finish continues to get better, advances the shared universe, is creatively on fire, and is part of the new show with post 2005 stories, actors, and characters. Not to mention it was literally canonized on screen. Saying Big Finish is just apocryphal glorified fan fiction is like saying none of the Christmas Specials or other specials count.

I mean, I'd like to pretend a few of the Christmas specials didn't count.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, most of history is horrible people doing horrible things to other people (who are sometimes horrible themselves). It’s hard to write a show about time travel with that in mind.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
HBO Max is live, so modern Doctor Who streams in the US once again.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If I wanted to, I would post a picture of Peter Pratt's Master with the words "Nice meltdown" typed in the Impact font, but I find image macros of that ilk are a bit passe.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, I’d also forgotten how mean-spirited it was for the show to constantly poo poo on Mickey.

P-p-p-pizza!

e: Looking back, Doctor Who in 2005 seems a lot like what I imagine Doctor Who would've been like in 1990.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 2, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Rewatching Day of the Moon, and I can't tell you how much I laughed when Canton Delaware III shot a Silence and said "Welcome to America". :911:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Revival rewatch update: I honestly think Last of The Time Lords may be the dumbest hour of Doctor Who ever filmed.

I don't know what you're talking about! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to give the Tenth Doctor a sock so that he becomes a free Time Lord.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

I’m glad to see the most recent episode has been completely struck from memory.

I just realized that it’s only been THREE MONTHS (and a few days) since Doctor Who aired a new episode.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Meet the Rani’s sister, the Romani!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you make a big deal about it on the show, viewers will make a big deal about it. That's how drama works.