Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Burkion posted:

Wait, I thought the original plan with the Master was that he was the Doctor, a byproduct of the Time Lord's forcing 2 to regenerate. Like he was the Doctor's negative and evil side, kind of like the Valeyard before the Valeyard. Then 3 and Delgado Master would have merged back and regenerated or some such

I could have sworn that was the idea at least

There was the planned final Master story (The Final Game?) that was supposed to reveal something like the Doctor and the Master being different aspects of the same psyche or something, but that was cancelled due to Delgado's death. But I don't think the Time Lords and Two's forced regeneration were supposed to factor into that, after all the Doctor does know the Master from before that already in Terror of the Autons.

The secret brother stuff comes later I think, it's hinted at by Ainley at some point and it's a big thing in the cancelled plans for the 90s reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Dabir posted:

I was rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the other day and it struck me just how Doctor Who it was from the word go. The Heart of Gold is basically a TARDIS, the Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic and the Thumb together make a sonic screwdriver, and the scenes in book 3 of Zaphod moping around his infinitely powerful ship with infinite possibilities and nowhere to go read pretty much like how the Doctor might act if they had a few more personality problems.

Isn't the third Hitchhiker book the one that's literally a rejected Who script (Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen)?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rochallor posted:

The production's gotten better, and they have more actors and access to revival-era content, but it's still mostly the same 4 writers writing the same 6 stories over and over and over and over again.

This was a real sticking point for Sandifer too I remember, and I can't really disagree with her on that. I absolutely loved Big Finish when I first got into Doctor Who and I continued with them for a long time, but by now they've long been well past the point where another Dalek story by Nick Briggs can no longer be the point of the operation. I'm sure their average quality remains solid enough, but there's absolutely no excuse for how safe and uninspired the bulk of their content seems to be considering its constantly expanding volume.

The_Doctor posted:

This is very true, and the one in-road into that is their once yearly submission thing from which they take one single writer. But no, keep working the same 4-5 workers over and over.

And have any of those writers even written anything else for BF after their winning Short Trips?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
My favourite thing about the Paradigms is that the yellow(?) one is supposedly super important and has a special name, but it has never featured into any of the stories they've been in in any way.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm extremely impressed that Colin isn't the last!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Yeah, every time I see something about Time Lord Victorious I feel like I should be super into it but somehow I'm not at all.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
There is some comic coming out that's a 10/13 crossover (with the Sea Devils) but I don't know if it's part of the Victorious line.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Yes and we need more! <:mad:> (I jest, but they’re so good!)

I have had a couple sort of half-planned for ages, maybe I should try to find the time to actually make them! It has been a very long time since the last one.

Narsham posted:

OK, let's get down to cases, shall we? Questions below for the thread. How would you rate Chibnall as a writer in comparison to the following series writers (ignore the show-running stuff)?

Mark Gatiss
Bob Baker and Dave Martin
Terry Nation

Baker & Martin for one are hands down better than Chibnall. Gatiss is just as sloppy but more fun, Nation has the same kind of dire baseline tone to his work but at least a good script editor could get something out of him, which Davies or Moffat never got from the Chib.

quote:

I do suspect a few posters here might argue that and suggest that Pip and Jane Baker or Mervyn Haisman and Henry Lincoln are massively underrated.

I mean you can't fault The Web of Fear, and Pip & Jane could at least keep a deadline.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

FreezingInferno posted:

Better than non-Genesis Nation and about on par with a good Baker/Martin story.

Oh no way is anything by Chibnall nearly as good as The Three Doctors!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I never listened beyond the first box set, but I still think it's pretty damning that they called the final set "Casualties of War" when it obviously should have been "Causalities of War".

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Series 13 will have only 8 episodes.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Speaking of, what's the general state of Who on bluray? Is everything out of print by now? Any significant added/dropped extras? My collection is stuck in the DVD age and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to make some upgrades.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

Chris Chibnall rips off his mask to reveal he was Terry Nation this whole time.

In a shocking twist, Revolution of the Daleks will reveal that the Daleks are actually biological creatures instead of the perfectly logical war robots we all have definitely always thought them to be!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
My santee should be receiving their gift soon as well, but unfortunately the Amazon gift note didn't allow much room for explanation, so if you receive a gift from me that you're very confused by (or that doesn't seem to work), please let me know in the thread and I'll try to explain myself!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tonight we're watching Logopolis, so if anyone has the Forktoss watcher comic so I can share it with the group chat that would be fabulous

Since you asked!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

Why, what's this that came in the mail?

Oh, my sainted aunt! It's an animated reconstruction of one of Patrick Troughton's adventures as the Doctor. And what perfect timing - today happens to be my birthday! Both times that I've watched through the Troughton era, the repros I watched were of questionable quality at best, so it's great to have one that's so professionally made. A very warm thank you to my mysterious benefactor. Hypnotism! Poison gas! Giant grab monsters! Ben, Polly, Jaime, when I say run, run!

You're very welcome, merry Christmas and happy birthday! Remember, it's never too early to start educating your children about Troughton recons :eng101:

There should've been a note with the package as well, I wonder if it came through? There's an additional bit to the gift anyway, so if you can't find the note or something doesn't seem to be right with it, let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Thank goodness! I was worried it got time-scooped on the way - now there's still time for everyone to reconsider their GOTY picks.

(There's a little Easter Egg for you as well, so nobody please look at these spoilers except Bicyclops: try pressing 'B' on the keyboard while in the game!)