Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

In the last thread, someone said that Ernest P. Worrell would have made a good Doctor Who, and, darn it, they're right.

You're drat right I did

And you're drat right I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

From my perspective, X is a good Doctor who is being let down by some bad writing. Not the first Doctor to be in that situation, and almost certainly not the last.

this has been the song and dance since, what, Colin? Arguably Peter

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I guess we're getting the Dalek episode before next year but the actual series 13 won't be until 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the BBC has never made money on Who

I don't think they legally can

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know, he seems to have pretty strong opinions that Amazon workers should just shut the gently caress up and happily throw themselves into the meat grinder because at least they get paid

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Why do people poo poo on Moffat? Aren't all the best Doctor Who seasons under his reign?

I didn't realize Moffat was running the show in 1970

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cargohills posted:

It is techically correct to describe the Chibnall era as a "mixed bag", but the vast majority of the mix in the bag ranges from very bad to mediocre.

He has no story telling highs, but boy his lows

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think it speaks volumes they didn't include anything about the Daleks interacting with the Doctor

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Top row, left to right

Amy, 11, 1st (Might be a non Hartnell), 10, ...Harry? Don't know what he'd be doing there- Rose, 4th, Sarah Jane Smith, 2nd, First, 12 behind 7, LOOKS LIKE 10, Peri, 6, 5, 9, 13, 8, War, 3, 11, Valeyard, 8, Charlie?, 9, Jack, Can't say 10?, 4, Not sure, 2

Dalek Row, Left to right

Dalek maker, Classic Daleks including some from 2nd and Genesis, Supreme Dalek, more classic, RTD Era Dalek, Imperial and Renegades, Clara??, Pretty sure that's a Cushing Dalek before all the Davroses and after, Dalek Emperor, Rose Dalek in the back next to the dead one and Caan, More classics, 13th's Dalek, 11's Daleks another Emperor, not sure and Sec

Alien Row- Farting aliens, big one is hard to make out, I feel like the dome is something from the second Doctor but I'm not sure, Cassandra, Face of Boe, Too indistinct, Auton(?), one of hte clockwork robots?, one of the Spiders from Third Doctor, ROBOT, Satan, Satyr next to him from that Master ploy, Clown is familiar but the picture is too blurry, teh dumb super hero, Honestly cannot make out the next three in front of Satyr, Master's alien assistant Chok Tho, Angel from Titanic, I feel like I should recgonize him but don't, hard to make out, Not sure, One of those emoticon robots, Silence Dead Person, Indistinct, Damnit Steve, The Mummy from Mars, IMpossible to make him and the next one out though I have some guesses about the third one, OMEGA (should have been Sutek) Old Master from Ten, some of these are really hard to peg due to the image quality. I think we have some various Silurians but it's hard to call directly. Gas mask kid, pig that was turned into an invader by the farters, tree lady, Eric Roberts Master, Sim Master??, K9, Ice Warrior, the skull dudes from Ten's first episode, hard to make out, Sil, The Pirate King from 4, no clue, there's an Angel, Sontarans, more Autons, the demon champion, Sutek and Delgdo Master?, can't say about the two spikey black fellows, Anne Droid, Penis Head, Zygons, Another AUton, Judoon, the Santa robots, Jesus some of these blend together, I think the Fisher King might be in there?, At least two Ood, red lady is someone but not the Racnoss queen, sadly none of the classic robots are Chumblies, ...the head stealing dude from the River song episode? Some one wearing Tom Baker's outfit, yet another Dalek Emperor, 1980s Cyberman, Wooden Cyberman, 1970s? Cyberman, 11's Cybermen, a black Cyberman that I don't think was in the classic series but has a classic design? Revenge Cyberman, Tomb Cyberman, Cybus Men, OG Cyberman, another Cybus, 5th Doctor Era Cyberman? Cybercontroller from Tomb, some giant gently caress off Cyber something, A proto Cyberman I believe?, and a smattering of 5th and 7th era Cybermen

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That makes sense. Also the girl I thought was Charlie might be Lucy Bleedin Miller, as pointed out on twitter. Hard to say but that might be right.

What do we win

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I love you RTD, you beautiful Welsh giant. :swoon:

He needs a better drat camera

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress off Chibnal

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

The Eleventh Hour was a masterpiece, and season 5 as a whole remains the best single season the revival has done so far. It was so, so loving good.

Ironically the only story that doesn't live up to the quality is the Silurian 2-parter written by Chris Chibnal, and even that has that amazing epilogue where Rory dies (he gets better).

That wasn't written by Chibnal

I was always wary of Chibnal but man I wish he didn't confirm that

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

If it makes you feel better, pretend that he was the President the Toclafane disintegrated in Sound of the Drums.

President Elect, thank you

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I love how actors who take the role end up just straight up becoming the Doctor for real, it's the best :allears:

Well, except Tom Baker who is legitimately just straight up the Doctor in real life and accidentally stumbled into being cast as himself.

As that twitter thread showed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, I thought the original plan with the Master was that he was the Doctor, a byproduct of the Time Lord's forcing 2 to regenerate. Like he was the Doctor's negative and evil side, kind of like the Valeyard before the Valeyard. Then 3 and Delgado Master would have merged back and regenerated or some such

I could have sworn that was the idea at least

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

So we've got the caretaker from Harry Potter as the First Doctor, Jon Pertwee wearing a wig and the second Doctor's clothes as the Second Doctor, a really happy intern as the Third Doctor, CGI Tarkin with a bad wig and mustache from Rogue One as Cushing Doctor, and Tom Baker as Tom Baker as Tom Baker

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

Three would've figured it out by the 100th go-around, then spent the next couple billion just exploring the place and Venusian Aikido'ing the Veil over the battlements whenever it got too close

Instead of four billion skulls, it'd be four billion Veils

He would have tricked it into a sword fight, and then during that sword fight stolen its lunch.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Tom Baker just grew his hair longer to hide the fact that he couldn't age right

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

Apparently they're re-re-animating Power of the Daleks

I mean I wanted to rewatch it so sure

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

I'm still confused how Rassilon fits into the silly 'the Doctor invented regeneration' thing, considering Rassilon's whole thing was to be an amoral manipulator at the dawn of Time Lord society, cover up his crimes with myth and legend, so that the Time Lords keep bringing him back. Dunno if I'm misremembering it, but wasn't it implied that he stole the secrets of regeneration from the great vampires, then genocided them to cover it up?

So the Doctor was around at the same time as Omega, Rassilon and the Other (though the Other was VERY loosely canon to begin with)?

Also the Sisters of Karn or some such who Rassilon also hosed over.

And you'd think Omega would recognize the Doctor

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

I'm TOTALLY doing Space Museum next. Someone pick a Troughton story for me after that. I'd prefer one that's still mostly extant - not in the mood for a reconstruction/audio.

Mother fucker the first two that came to mind was The Invasion and Power of the Daleks

Uh

Um

Um

Uh

The Enemy of the World

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Don't worry, they'll just wander down the street and hang out with one of the many other Doctors that apparently now populate the Earth.

Turns out every single Companion has been the Doctor all along.

except for the Brigadier

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

God, we were so lucky to get Matt Smithall the people who have played the Doctor. :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair it is a really dumb line

That's just the point. It's the Doctor owning himself

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Homora Gaykemi posted:

it's good to point out that Lovecraft was a hateful poo poo, but it feels kind of empty doing so while putting out stories where the Doctor uncritically pals around with Winston "Famine or no famine, Indians will always breed like rabbits (so we'll just let 2 million of them starve to death)" Churchill

Also, Nixon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I mean the best possible line up is pretty easy to figure out.

Brigadier, Jack, Jamie, Romana, K9, Rose, Donna.

If you had one extra point you could swap out Rose for Sarah Jane Smith and it goes without saying that Susan and K9 are free to swap.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where is Hissy!

This is ghost snake erasure

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And then he gets shoved into a romance with a character he never met and never knew

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
(Also that genuinely might have been the Doctor going a bit senile and letting different realities bleed into their brain. Remember, Age of Steel Mickey *IS* Ricky)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

I'm curious, how did the Time War ostensibly 'start'? Is it a folly to actually try to conceive a literal Time War as... having a start, or is there actually some form of inciting incident?

I'm just asking because I've realized I've been picturing the most minor, petty kick-off spiraling out of control.

Genesis of the Daleks is one of the first, if not the first, shot of the war.

One race trying to eradicate the other from history is a pretty good way to get real weird with time

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

I keep thinking "Oh no, I've seen dumber," and then I fail to come up with a counterexample.

Kill the Moon, maybe? Although that's not dumb so much as just insulting.

Yeah, I got nothin'.

The forest

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I’m glad to see the most recent episode has been completely struck from memory.

Well.

It had been.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Something incredibly chilling about the Daleks in their first ever story, especially with the benefit of hindsight, is the following exchange:

Dalek: We will examine your machine.
Doctor: No. Not unless you stop what you're doing. Otherwise I won't explain its secrets to you and its philosophy of movement.
Dalek: Now we know of the machine, we can examine it for ourselves.
Doctor: But you can't operate it without me.
Dalek: Every problem has a solution.

Basically the Daleks - desperate survivalists who can't even leave their city - discover that space and time travel are thing. The next story we see them in, they've mastered space travel and conquered the Earth. The next story after that, they've already figured out a crude if effective form of time travel.

Even more to the point- they had no reason to leave their home. But then they got one. Life, alien life. Life that wasn't them. Lives that weren't Dalek. This was an affront, a crime that must be countered. A challenge to the very nature of all Daleks.

There could be no other life forms, no other society, superior to the Dalek race. And there would be none.

As a reminder, not even a few serials after they discover time travel, they've already made a weapon that can end reality.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What a sad looking fellow

blurbles incoherently

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Beverly Garland sounds like she rules :hellyeah:

She did, does and forever will

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

It sounds pretty similar to the first, later Trenzalor incident.

Which, uh, brings up a point I've been wondering about for a while. The Time of The Doctor undoes a lot of what happens in The Name Of the Doctor, yeah?

And we've never had much indication as to what's going on with River in the latter either, yeah?

She's a wifi ghost with roaming charges

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Time works just fine in Doctor Who if you assume that it's chronological with the Doctor's perspectives. poo poo changes all the time, but we're following along from their perspective which is how time happens.

This is why any time we see future poo poo of the Doctor, it's more a suggestion than a rule.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

That guy was in an Avengers movie a year later, so his rates probably shot up

No reason he can't have regenerated

but let's be super real here, he was barely and might have been in Captain America 1 before he was in Who I don't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He also would have talked incessantly about it all the time