Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I love Whitehouse's work, and I'd really argue that between his work on Being Human and No Angels he's really not that obsessed with hard men making difficult decisions tbh. Both those shows were pretty great, and in the latter case, almost entirely about women.

Also he can write an argument like nobodies business.

That said, he's such a chameleon in his Who work that I don't know what his era would have looked like, beyond an emphasis on morality plays. That's pretty much the only consistency between all his works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

shades of eternity posted:

Maybe he just needs to do a remake of the only episode worth a darn that he did: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Funny way to spell "Adrift", but you do you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah, I normally don't truck with Ellard -- his stuff is kind of interesting, but it's super prescriptive, so when an actually weird show pops up like Avenue 5 all he's able to do is say "Those sets are a bit much, eh?" rather than realise that's the point -- but that was a pro click.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe this is Chibnall's attempt to reintroduce mystery to the character (by ripping off LeGuin, basically) rather than keep telling the same old stories about Gallifrey over and over.

The Doctor was always special, something that RTD struggled with and Moffat just flat out loved. I don't see how this is all that different.

It's just lore cruft. It's all bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Has the Valeyard ever really worked as character? As a symbol he's a fine antagonist to the Sixth and Seventh Doctors, but I mean as an actual person with interiority?

I don't mind Eddie Robson's take on the character in A Very Dark Thing, where he's characterised by a fear of losing his identity and becoming the Doctor again, and they effectively play it as a kind of dementia, but that's basically a mental illness take on the Beevers Master again.

I'll laugh so so hard if this plot is actually leading up to some kind of Valeyard reveal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lookit that gurn.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Took em long enough.

What's the average age of their voice cast anyway? 60 plus?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Do you think she wrote that herself, or was that Chibbers?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was very very good and clever and yes-I-called-the-twist because there-was-always-gonna-be-a-twist but who cares.

Best 13th Doctor story, yeah?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Who is Milo Parker? It looks like his only BF credit is this story and he's 18 years old. Is he another BF-only Master? I would guess he's far too young to be a sound-alike for Delgado.

No one knows, though the thought is that he's playing the kid who looked into the Schism, back from The Last Of The Timelords.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cerv posted:

this might be interesting. I have to admit Hulke's not one of the names I'm immediately familiar with from the old days.

He's one of the more interesting writers from the third doctor era, I reckon, and, after Robert Holmes, definitely the most influential. He pretty much defined NA continuity with Colony in Space and Frontier in Space. Cool dude.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So I just read (on another forum) that Whizz Kid (the nerd from Greatest Show In The Galaxy) is based on a pre-fame public appearance by Chris Chibnall. Anyone else heard this, or is it just a random bitter rumour from an odd corner of the internet?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Anyone else here listen to the Big Finish Torchwood range? The series is very good right now and I just want to fanboy tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Here, have some cursed knowledge.

Sorry, maybe I'm missing the nuance here, but why are those images "cursed"?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Part of it is that they genuinely get a big spike in sales if they put a Dalek in a story -- like Adam Sandler tentpole films, they help to keep the lights on.

The other is that lockdown has seriously impacted the availability of their actors -- Sylvester McCoy was meant to have a bunch of upcoming releases, but he's apparently stuck in France(!?) and doesn't have access to any kind of recording space.

Briggs has a booth at home, so he can do Daleks, Cybermen, his terrible Ice Warrior voices, etc. It's an availability thing.

(Which is also why we're getting six Davison releases so quickly in succession.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

That spoiler will be really neat if they tie it into an effect of the Time War

It sounds pretty similar to the first, later Trenzalor incident.

Which, uh, brings up a point I've been wondering about for a while. The Time of The Doctor undoes a lot of what happens in The Name Of the Doctor, yeah?

And we've never had much indication as to what's going on with River in the latter either, yeah?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
To be honest, that explanation above is perfectly in keeping with the Davros timeline stuff that somehow became part of RTD's version of the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is this what we wanted to Save Ianto Jones for?

Gareth David-Lloyd writes them now, so apparently yes?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

REGULARLY on TV, I think, is the way to put it.

Would that describe this era of the show?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

God, the RTD era was the best.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
From what I understand, it's probably Farscape.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

Oh. Well maybe don't bring Adam back for anything then. Then again, that comic crossover with him is probably more than enough Adam anyway

That was Tony Lee, wasn't it? So much bloody fanwank.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

David Warner told them that he doesn't want to play villains.

He was the main villain in the most recent Torchwood season??

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He and Lisa Bowerman are a couple now. It's cute.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s partly why I love 11 so much; even after Amy and Rory age themselves to death he’s still not moping about for half a season. 11 is a very optimistic kind of “chin up” Doctor. He matures over the seasons but he never really gets jaded or dour.

Doesn't he do most of his moping off screen? He's definitely begins The Snowmen and The Bells of St John after an extended period of moping.

If anything, they imply he does more moping than, say, Tennant.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dude literally locks himself away and refuses to help anyone unless they magically guess the riddle to get past his friends. It's not a competition, it's just lovely either way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assume that's what James Goss's Time Lord Victorious is going to cover. Tennant in full villain mode sounds like a lot of fun.

(I'm super super excited for this, btw. Since it's, you know, James Goss).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

For some reason I assumed the TLV stuff was an alternate timeline rather than filling a gap.

Nah. Big Finish is no longer licensed to introduce new alternative universe Doctors. The Kisgart Master and Warner Doctor are the only ones they really have any more.

I suspect the Warner Doctor is going to be looked back on as one of those weird, floaty offshoots that hung around for a while but basically vanished. (I don't think they're even allowed to regenerate him).

But they're fantastic, and James Goss also produced them. He runs the Torchwood range too, and generally does a fantastic job all over the place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Voting Floater posted:

I particularly appreciate the Classic Who stories that properly take advantage of the serial format, like The Chase or The Keys of Marinus where they're a bunch of unique episode-long vignettes linked into an overall plot.

The run from Mission To The Unknown to the end of The Daleks Master Plan is insanely good if you think of it in these terms.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've uhh

I've never liked the goodbye speeches.

(Except for The Cities Made Of Song one. That one owns.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 21, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Torchwood is fun. I've always liked how bonkers it is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the biggest problem with the most recent season - which is a bit tedious, but nothing really they terrible tbh - is that John Barrowman's appearance has apparently prevented the release of Torchwood Season 7.

The continuity stuff in the finale is shrug worthy. It doesn't really matter to me in the same way it bothered other posters.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There were some angry bandages that read the Doctor's mind last season that mentioned the Timeless Child.

The bandages reminded her of the Master's snake form. Solved. Canon in shambles.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Burkion posted:

You know if it wasn't for the fact that the first black woman to play the Doctor is also a villain and also a CIA stooge

Uh, she's not either of those things really.

William Hartnell's first few acts as the Doctor included being mistaken as a paedophile, successfully kidnapping two strangers, an attempted stoning and wreckless endangerment of a minor.

Rebelling against against your handler / kidnapper / whatever and saving the day is pretty straight up heroic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

What, you would rather he pushed Susan into traffic instead? :v:

Hey, the only reason Susan learnt not to run with scissors was to survive The Edge of Destruction. Pushing Susan into traffic was the only way One could be sure she'd survived 20th Century Coal Hill.

As is typical of her peers, Gallifreyian children tend to go through many regenerations during their disruptive teenage years. It's the only way for a nigh immortal race to truly understand road safety.

Mic drop. Canon in shambles.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like it's a nice statement, on some level -- not only is it possible for the Doctor now to not be a white man, it's always been the case that the Doctor didn't have to be a white man.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, but it's not literal. It's an allegory for, you know, ALWAYS CHOOSING LIFE.

It's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't episode. Neither reading is good, but it's at least emotionally compelling (which is more than I can say for Pyramid At The End Of The World, which has everyone so reactionary that nothing ends up being dramatic).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I find myself somewhat disappointed that the other two Out of Time stories are also 10 tales. I love 10....but would have much preferred to see teamups of like...9 and 6 or 11 and 7. Guess it's the same reason the Daleks keep popping up everywhere...the popular characters sell.

They didn't have nine when these were recorded -- I still don't think Eccelston's actually recorded anything -- and as far as we know Matt Smith isn't currently involved.

It's not so much an issue of popularity as it is availability.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CommonShore posted:

KILL KILL THE MOON

ALL YOU NEED IS KILL THE MOON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

I suspect part of the push is an admission that there's not going to be any televised episodes on the horizon. They need to do something to keep the brand in mind.

It's been planned for three or four years (hence the lack of Moffat Doctors, I suppose). But it certainly seems to be filling a gap.