Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think we're at the point where I'm comfortable saying that I do not like the 13th Doctor, and although Chris Chibnall's (at best) bland writing isn't doing her any favours, I don't think Jodie Whittaker is giving a particularly good performance. I've never seen anything else she's been in so I can't really speak to what her strengths actually are, but she routinely fails to deliver on both the comedy and the drama. Her delivery of the group structure line from The Haunting of Villa Diodati was particularly dreadful, and when the Doctor has her "eureka!" moments it always feels like she's just reading the line and not actually realising anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It is techically correct to describe the Chibnall era as a "mixed bag", but the vast majority of the mix in the bag ranges from very bad to mediocre.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Britbox has been available in the US and Canada for a while now and has recently been made available in the UK, and they have I think all of the existing classic Doctor Who episodes, with maybe a few exceptions. You could also get some DVDs or blu-rays but if you're not sure if you'll like them, streaming is probably the better choice.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

DancingShade posted:

At this point the Master is over-used and the Rani is extremely under-used.

The Rani and the Valeyard are used exactly as much as they should be, i.e. not at all.

They both just answer the question: "What if the Master was crap?", and half the time the Master is already answering that.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The leaked info is that there's going to be new Lost Stories featuring Tom Baker, including Return of the Cybermen, the original script that was rewritten by Robert Holmes to become Revenge of the Cybermen.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I wish they'd cast someone better than James Dreyfus for their pre-Delgado Master incarnation. Not only because of the transphobe stuff, but also... he was just a crap choice to go opposite their Doctors. His first appearance was with David Bradley, and it would have fitted much better if they had went with someone of Bradley's generation/stature.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

What sort of time am I in for, generally speaking?

I thought it was pretty much the same as the previous series. If you liked series 11 fine you'll probably like series 12. Personally I thought they were both mostly rubbish, with series 12 being very slightly worse.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Narsham posted:

He's not as talented as the previous two showrunners. But I'd take him over Eric Saward any day.

To be honest I enjoy The Visitation and Revelation of the Daleks more than any script credited to Chibnall aside from maybe The Power of Three.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Big Finish are giving away The Eleven for free this week (I assume there's not some catch).

The catch is that it's the first of four parts of a(n expensive) box set, which is the first of a(n expensive) four box set series, which is one of four Paul McGann box set series that already exist with more undoubtedly on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The old ones are worth it I'd say. Not everything's great but all the best stories are from the £3 collection.