Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yes. The BBC's income goes into a general pot, rather than a show-related pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

THAT’s what this reminds me of! That weird mid-2000s stuff where it was ‘revealed’ Spider-Man was something like a representation of a spider-totem/god and it had specifically chosen him or something? It removed the ‘Peter was an ordinary kid and is making the best of juggling powers and a regular life’, and made him Always Been Extra Special.

JMS's run on the Amazing Spiderman?

It's like that, but without being a critical and commercial success

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

cargohills posted:

The Rani and the Valeyard are used exactly as much as they should be, i.e. not at all.

They both just answer the question: "What if the Master was crap?", and half the time the Master is already answering that.

Both of them have different motivations from the Master, and the Rani especially could theoretically be interesting.

The Meddling Monk had two interesting appearances, after all, and the limits of his ambition were "get really rich like Biff in BTTF2"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Underwater Menace isn't particularly good, is it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I love Capaldi's characterisation in the last series because I can't get enough of people mocking academia

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, see, like, there's not consensus on anything, but people calling that episode bad is almost unheard of. It's not early in the run, so you have to wait for it. Some people, they might say that's a hell of a long wait. Personally, I think it's a hell of an episode!

I, too, like the episode set on a train :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

What a sad looking fellow

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Mutants is actually a really good story, thanks for your time

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So we caught the 2nd half, and even without knowing what the hell was going on,

The Mutants is probably one of the better ones for that because it keeps on continually raising the stakes all the way through

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I didn't like it. :(

I watched with a group over Discord during quarantine and it just didn't click, I think because of the mockumentary thing. I know it's me though, lots of people love it (including the friends I watched it with).

The TV show or the film (or both)? I for one found the TV show a lot better

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I can understand the quippiness being tiring, but wow, did the classic show have *terrible* *TERRIBLE* pacing.

What? No.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Certainly not The War Games. :imunfunny:

Technically correct

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Only Nine's goodbye speech worked. Preparing Rose (and the viewer) for the shock that was about to hit. Really wonderful stuff. Ten's was like, 30 minutes of seeing old friends? Eleven wasn't so bad but imaginary Amy was a bit much. Twelves's goodbye wasn't all that great either.

Best ever was Four.

The best was Troughton complaining about how he hated every single possible regeneration

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Just dropping in to say that Douglas Camfield was the best director Doctor Who ever had

Rhyno posted:

Well, 20 cool ones.

Also all the people who post in this thread

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Voting Floater posted:

If we're talking consecutive stories, going from Earthshock to Time Flight is another contender.

Earthshock episode 1 to Earthshock episode 2

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1302294950978236417

What?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Reign of Terror is rubbish apart from

a) The fire. It looks terrific every time there's a flaming torch!

and

b) The hat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFGFd3GQxgA&t=39s

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Mutants is actually excellent

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Do what we're doing and watch them in a random order

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Latest random story was The Ark (which is only an ark in space rather than the ark in space), which is solidly middle tier. The first half of the story is generally good - the world building is well done, the monoids are a well realised alien, the threat a society threatened with extinction by a coronavirus - and the cliffhanger is of course fantastic, one of the best, as are the special effects for the time. (Dodo listing all the animals in what seems like a last gasp attempt to have some educational content, on the other hand, could have been cut for time)

The second half isn't so strong, though; the monoids are reduced to the monster of the week (although they do have some nice conflict between them, ala the silurians), the humans become far too homogeneous, the invisible creatures (an invisible enemy) don't really go anywhere. It feels like it either needed to be an episode shorter or two longer; still, nothing too offensive.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Latest watch on the random trip through the original run: Planet of the Spiders. Very good overall I thought, despite its mixed reputation; some elements of excess, and some things aren't well done (Tommy and his Flowers for Algenon stuff most notably) but good fun.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The first episode of Doctor Who I ever saw was the second half of The Mutants (aka episodes 4, 5, and 6, since it was shown in omnibus format on the Chicago PBS station), and even not knowing what the hell was going on, I still found Pertwee's Doctor to be very fascinating to watch.

Given that Geoffrey Palmer just died, doing a rewatch of The Mutants would be topical but he gets knocked off before the point you started watching, even!

Payndz posted:

Well, there is the utterly gratuitous "let's indulge Jon and his love of vehicles!" episode-long car chase that amounts to nothing...

That car chase also has the stunt men appear (most notably Stuart Fell as a homeless man) with their faces and everything. It's touches like that that really rub in that it's a celebration of the whole of Pertwee's run, which makes sense as it was produced and directed and written by Barry Letts.

There's a lot of fun side stuff too - the professor at the start is a real joy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Jesus, 2020 doesn't let up, does it? :smith:

He was 93, that's a good run

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/Peterhouse_Cam/status/1326171393822760968?s=20

Comedian John Finnemore also appeared in Big Finish's "Doctor Who: The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield Volume 01", and wrote and co-starred in the wonderful BBC Radio comedy "Cabin Pressure", co-starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

My housemate was one of the other people to send in a solution, but his was incorrect (he didn't know which order to put two pages and just flipped a coin, so it's entirely possibly lost on that).

He hasn't been in Doctor Who but does watch a random serial with me every Thursday

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tonight's viewing was The Horns of Nimon, which is actually really enjoyable to watch for most of its run time (and terribly boring the rest of it). The biggest flaw is that no two performances seem to be from the same programme.

If you've seen the clips of Graham Crowden's Soldeed you deserve to watch the entire thing, because while he's funny to watch in a vacuum, in the context of the rest of the serial every single line read of his final scene had all of us breaking down in hysterics to the extent it was difficult to follow the episode for the next couple of minutes.

Next up: the Sontaran Experiment!

Which is quite short, so we rolled up another random story to watch with it and got, rather fittingly, The Ark in Space. What are the odds.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Sontaran Experiment is a weird story in a lot of ways, but it's actually pretty good

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also the robot has wiggly nose hair

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Last week's random story was The Wheel in Space, which suffers a lot (A LOT) from being a recon, doubly so given that the first episode is almost entirely non-verbal. The second episode is also an "actor on holiday" episode (in this case Troughton), and it's remarkable how much more fun the story is from the instant the Doctor wakes up from his nap in episode 3.

It's also by far the horniest pre-revival story of the show.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's quite the feat

I put it to you that there is a difference between the director being horny (The Mind Robber, Planet of Fire) and the characters in the story being horny (The Wheel in Space, The Romans)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I put it to you that there is a difference between the director being horny (The Mind Robber, Planet of Fire) and the characters in the story being horny (The Wheel in Space, The Romans)

Or the trees in the story being horny (The Mark of the Rani)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

FreezingInferno posted:

Season 18 is excellent, I've been going through it again since it's 40 years old now. Eventually I get to Warrior's Gate, and Warrior's Gate is superb.

Is this implicitly decrying state of decay???

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tonight we're watching Logopolis, so if anyone has the Forktoss watcher comic so I can share it with the group chat that would be fabulous

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Amazing as always

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Why, what's this that came in the mail?

Oh, my sainted aunt! It's an animated reconstruction of one of Patrick Troughton's adventures as the Doctor. And what perfect timing - today happens to be my birthday! Both times that I've watched through the Troughton era, the repros I watched were of questionable quality at best, so it's great to have one that's so professionally made. A very warm thank you to my mysterious benefactor. Hypnotism! Poison gas! Giant grab monsters! Ben, Polly, Jaime, when I say run, run!

Today it's MY BIRTHDAY and I got FURY FROM THE DEEP! (but from my mum rather than a secret santa)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Thank you all

Vinylshadow posted:

You say that like you don't rewatch a random serial once a week

We specifically watch a random serial chosen by Random.org (Next is MEGLOS tomorrow, hurray)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's the bit where that one stunt Judoon has to avoid running into a chair. Wow that's not great for OHS

If only the Sontarans had the same training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pinwiz11 posted:

So......... A friend of mine has an annual holiday "watch bad Sci-Fi movies/tv" tradition, and since it's virtual this year I recommended "The Horns of Nimon".

I hadn't watched that serial in over 20 years.

That one hurt.

Thankfully while it's bad, it's not Timelash Bad.

Crowden is really good in it. That whole era suffers from really poor direction - none of the performances feel like they belong together.

(Latest random episode was Meglos which is truly poor - the story essentially begins half way through episode 3)