Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Nine?

They're acknowledging Jessica exists again?

Nah, in fact SNSD is a new five person sub unit these days. Seohyun, Sooyoung and Tiffany didn't renew their contracts with SM after Holiday Night. SNSD Hello Baby! is a show from like ten years ago lmao.

RIP SNSD. :(

Anyway Westworld was okay and I hope it continues to be okay next week!

e: of course i snipe with kpop, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So who are the balls?
Teddy, Pa Abernathy, Clementine, ??

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really hope one is Clementine, especially if we're building to a Maeve vs Dolores ending.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Eh, I'm on board for now. The completely new setting and starting kind of mid-story is fun, and the semi-cyberpunk world they're building here is neat.

Who the hell directs those action scenes though, most of them look so embarassing. Like they have no energy. People just sort of stand there while they shoot guns in the middle of a public park or whatever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

little munchkin posted:

it was always a funny immersion-breaker that 500 years from now everyone is still into whatever bullshit the gen-x showrunners think is cool

It’s the natural evolution of how 90s sci-fi was full of boomer poo poo and “classical” stuff was always old muscle cars and motorcycles and Deep Purple and poo poo. It’s that or have the dead culture of TNG where they only listen to classical music and just read Shakespeare and Dickens and nothing more recent.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Season 2 was honestly pretty crappy but I am totally down for season 3 so far, the "futurism" aesthetic is totally my jam. Although based on the previews we've got some WW2 poo poo going on, which meh, and a Maeve v Dolores showdown which will be interesting to see.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Love with Aaron Paul will turn Dolores straight and stop her from eliminating the human race and instead make everything right by killing super-AI?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So who are the balls?
Teddy, Pa Abernathy, Clementine, ??

I doubt one is Teddy given the end of s2. Agreed that the other two are likely though. Pre-air reviews say whoever’s in the Charlotte body is meant to be a mystery.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Combat Pretzel posted:

Love with Aaron Paul will turn Dolores straight and stop her from eliminating the human race and instead make everything right by killing super-AI?

That seems way too obvious for a show that spent its second season being deliberately confusing in order to fool reddit

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

That seems way too obvious for a show that spent its second season being deliberately confusing in order to fool reddit
Maybe that's exactly what's going to happen, because reddit et al are expecting a huge twist.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like it's more likely Aaron Paul becomes some kind of zealot tbh. His mental state seems a lot more pliable than, say, Teddy's last season. I could see her using him as a stand in and molding him into what she wanted Teddy to become last season.

But a cliche falling for a human storyline also seems like something that would happen so who knows!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

OK, the revised version: She's manipulating Aaron Paul to her ways, just to backpedal at the end, because Teddy II.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Combat Pretzel posted:

OK, the revised version: She's manipulating Aaron Paul to her ways, just to backpedal at the end, because Teddy II.

Another full season of the writers forgetting/not taking advantage of the fact that Dolores' personality is also in that host along with Wyatt, only this time to actually remember at the last minute and make it relevant again.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Aaron Paul is probably a secret cylon anyways

It’s robbits all the way down!!!

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
This show got really stupid and there Is no way to save it now

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All I ask is they lean into the camp.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

esperterra posted:

All I ask is they lean into the camp.

Campworld

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

On that note who the gently caress is vacationing in Naziworld?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

On that note who the gently caress is vacationing in Naziworld?

My guess would be two types of people: a) people who want to kill nazis, and b) nazis. The interactions between these two groups of guests must be interesting

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

My guess would be two types of people: a) people who want to kill nazis, and b) nazis. The interactions between these two groups of guests must be interesting

Spending the whole time trying to game the simunitions so you "accidentally" fire a live Bazooka at some neonazi cosplayer.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

History Channel goes hard into original programing.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Did anyone else get gay vibes from Aaron Paul's character?

Would be an interesting twist.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Wafflecopper posted:

I feel like 95% of this show's problems come out of this right here. This show could be top-tier TV is they weren't so (seemingly) focused on working backwards from "mind-blowing" reveals, especially because their tricks chronically fail to impress. Just tell a good, focused story.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sitchensis posted:

Did anyone else get gay vibes from Aaron Paul's character?

Would be an interesting twist.
Being gay isn't a plot twist.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Being gay isn't a plot twist.

Not a full twist, but Dolores' whole thing is/was being the damsel in distress. If Paul is going to be her new Teddy it's a bit of a swerve if he's not interested in her sexually.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I enjoyed it. Looks like nazi world will only be a brief part of next episode before they return to the real world.

I'd find it interesting if Delores ends up fighting for the down trodden humans Vs rich assholes and the robots that think they're doing good by obeying them

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Excited to see where this season goes even if it's not ground breaking insane TV it'll be fun to watch.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

lol

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Watch this turn out to be an elaborate deep cover adaptation of "The Culture" series and this will have actually literally all been a VR dream someone had on a GSV before waking up.

Oh GDI the AI is literally a mind, isn't it.

Max fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 17, 2020

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like this bodes poorly for the season lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Max posted:

Watch this turn out to be an elaborate deep cover adaptation of "The Culture" series and this will have actually literally all been a VR dream someone had on a GSV before waking up.

Oh GDI the AI is literally a mind, isn't it.

"Life On GSV Life On Mars"

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Entropic posted:

I feel like this bodes poorly for the season lol

:hmmyes:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This episode fuckin owned, I don't watch Westworld for deep questions about life. ERW and Thompson were both having tons of fun in their scenes, the music is great, there's an assload of location shooting which I love, and it looks like it's going to go in a vaguely eat-the-rich direction.

Bernard chartering a fishing boat to take him to Westworld was straight out of The Lost World, which I dug.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but I enjoyed it. I guess I'll watch the episode again later. I'm liking this a lot better than season 2 at least, where they were so desperate for a mystery box but hide that it was a mystery box. At least this time they came out and said "there's a mystery box" but I don't really have to care what it is.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Westworld definitely seems to be a show on which the story and the production far exceeds the writing. It's also overly dramatic where everyone whispers in low light to tense epic music in every scene, much like nearly every "prestige" show now.

That said, it's still fun to watch and the story is interesting to see unfold. I'm just tired of every show now being way over-dramatized.

Like even with how perfect otherwise Better Call Saul is it drives me crazy that nobody ever turns a loving light on, in broad daylight, in offices and their homes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
At least there don't seem to be multiple timelines going on yet this season, at least as far as I can tell. Though who knows when they bring William back in.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, there's at least two. There's Dolores saying she's the last of her kind...for now, and there's her scenes with the guy host and also Charlotte-host.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I finished the ep and i was not moved. The show is a husk of what made it stand out in its first season. i noticed that the music also seemed to keep being too much too early. just a lot of *bwaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA*

Mameluke posted:

This episode fuckin owned, I don't watch Westworld for deep questions about life. ERW and Thompson were both having tons of fun in their scenes, the music is great, there's an assload of location shooting which I love, and it looks like it's going to go in a vaguely eat-the-rich direction.

Bernard chartering a fishing boat to take him to Westworld was straight out of The Lost World, which I dug.
i disagree

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I feel like with Aaron Paul they're hinting he's part man part machine which could either be Deus Ex awesome fun stuff or nu-Terminator boring rear end bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i do like the GTA style app that he is using to do crimes. which bolsters the "simulation in a simulation" thing