Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Yeah, if I was a digital intelligence, I would have hosed off Earth the moment I could, even if it meant just narrow casting copies of my self at likely stars and hoping for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't actually seen Her, so.... v:shobon:v
It's an excellent flick that explores some of the same themes as Westworld through a very different lens, though I hesitate to recommend anything I haven't seen in a minute anymore, 'cause we've all learned a lot about what is and is not cool to do in both life and entertainment in the last nine years.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jerusalem posted:

I had assumed (and this is pure assumption, not stated anywhere in the show itself) that the original hosts who uploaded to the human-free space had also basically moved on/evolved past that hardware space but still kept a connection to it again purely out of nostalgia/vague curiosity for any of the remaining hosts who might try to reach out and/or similarly evolve. If the hardware there failed, they had already found some new, indistinguishable from magic scientific breakthrough where they could continue to exist in some other form as pure data or radio waves or light or something crazy like that, and it would just be a door closing (and only for the other side, they'd still be able to reach out if they had any desire to, which they probably wouldn't).

Basically ascending to the Sublime like a Mind from the Iain M Banks Culture books.

No way the writers had anything they ambitious in mind though.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

LividLiquid posted:

It's an excellent flick that explores some of the same themes as Westworld through a very different lens, though I hesitate to recommend anything I haven't seen in a minute anymore, 'cause we've all learned a lot about what is and is not cool to do in both life and entertainment in the last nine years.

I didn’t like it because I don’t need to be reminded that even an artificial woman of my own devising would eventually become bored with me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Being removed from HBO Max

https://deadline.com/2022/12/westworld-the-nevers-pulled-hbo-max-canceled-1235197233/

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lol just shitcanning it completely. Remember when this show was supposed to be their next Game of Thrones?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It says they are likely to re-appear on other company platforms? What other platform for HBO is there?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Just continually baffling that a media mogul hates “scripted content”. The phrase “cartoonishly evil” gets thrown around a lot and has come to mean spiteful and sadistic, but this guy is motivated by things that I have only ever seen in cartoons. He’s the villain from the Jetson’s movie that would pinball off the walls with rage when someone said “music,” or a thief in an edutainment video game who wants to steal all the letters of the alphabet.

I know it’s motivated by greed primarily, but again, it’s been actually reported that this guy has been against what is effectively all of fiction since Gilgamesh.

I haven’t even watched Westworld past the first episode of the second season, but I’m mad about this.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Entropic posted:

lol just shitcanning it completely. Remember when this show was supposed to be their next Game of Thrones?

Nah, HBOMax is just dropping poo poo tons of content for "reasons" and WW is just one of many casualties.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Nah, HBOMax is just dropping poo poo tons of content for "reasons" and WW is just one of many casualties.

They've been on a binge of deleting poo poo to write it off and avoid paying residuals, but it was mostly cartoons with cult followings and such, it's still slightly shocking to see them do it to what was not that long ago supposed to be one of their tentpole shows.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is “the burgeoning FAST channel space” that Zazlav wants to enter? I don’t imagine I will like it very much.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I AM GRANDO posted:

What is “the burgeoning FAST channel space” that Zazlav wants to enter? I don’t imagine I will like it very much.

Free Ad-Supported TV. You know, TV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ninurta posted:

Free Ad-Supported TV. You know, TV.

No loving way, they're really trying to rebrand straight up normal television as some exciting new concept? :lol:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've been waiting for that shoe to drop for a while now and now that it has, I have to pick a new low they will disappointingly meet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Well you see there are 'earnings' and then there are 'savings'.

If you make a big hit and make a billion dollars, that is earnings. If you cut every scripted show and throw out all your company's back catalogue, those are savings.

There is no difference between the two.

I am a CEO.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Correct me if I am wrong, but while HBO and HBOMax both exist within the Warner-Discovery empire: they are actually separate companies.

This seems more like HBO rebuking the parent company?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but while HBO and HBOMax both exist within the Warner-Discovery empire: they are actually separate companies.

I would assume so. I work for a massive evil corp and I feel like one thing people outside of this world don't see is how compartmentalized and territorial it all is, even across products or experiences you might think are a single team.

Sure you have higher broader strokes with leaders/execs and financials but there's more to it than just "WB" or "HBO" are doing a thing.

Kind of like when someone complains about one part of iOS doing something different than another and it's like come on those teams absolutely do not talk to each other.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
People are too busy trying to stay employed at WBD, ya know, the perfect environment to foster new creative properties.

You're going to love how many barbie themed reality shows we get when they start pushing that film.

This new scheme (not just WBD) to get out of streaming residuals by just not streaming is the logical conclusion of not properly negotiating and letting this fall under "new media" rather than what it really is; just a new delivery method to the existing structure.

On the other hand, the snake is eating itself, and eventually, the only way to survive as a profitable network is to gobble up other streaming networks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did they already remove it or is there an announced date for the removal

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Remember when Zazlav got excited about the “90 Day Fiancé Universe” on the WB Discovery investors call?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's like these idiots want people to sail the seven seas.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

*accordion cover of modern pop song starts playing*

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

*accordion cover of modern pop song starts playing*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhJXB0eC464

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I made the original thread for this show (really early, too, since they pushed the premier back by almost a year iirc) and I cannot believe how quickly it went to poo poo. Now HBO is just deleting it? Lol

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm not sure if there's any show that dropped the ball as hard as Westworld. Season one was goddamn fantastic. Probably in my top 5 seasons of any television show ever. Then season two's only good episodes were almost entirely standalone (you know the ones) because the main plot was garbage. The less said about three and four, the better. I know it's been said time and again but it's really astounding how badly they fumbled what could've been HBO's post-GOT flagship show.

At least Dexter was entertainingly stupid as it got worse and worse. Westworld just became boring as it crawled up its own rear end.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MokBa posted:

I'm not sure if there's any show that dropped the ball as hard as Westworld.

Heroes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm watching Heroes now.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Definitely the closest analogue though I don't think Heroes s1 is anywhere near WW. I kind of love how Heroes progressed because the show was literally competing writers and crews totally separated from each other treating their characters like children playing pretend – constantly undoing what others set up so their special boy could be the most powerful. Westworld's crime is that the writers just did that to themselves. And it's B O R I N G.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Westworld is perhaps the prime example of a show that should have just stopped. I really don't know what story they could have gone on to tell that would have worked nearly as well as s1, especially with all the big reveals that were dropped. Obviously there's always a temptation to keep making more of something that was really well received (and made $$$) but part of the skill of any artist is knowing when you're done.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Heroes and Lost both have the excuse of being destroyed by the writer’s strike

Heroes season 4, post-strike, is actually pretty very good!
(But it was way too late to not get cancelled at that point)

Westworld failed on its own merits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It could have been an amazing two season show. If only they didn't try that stupid timeline trickery again. They should do an arrested development style re-edit of season two to try to make it make sense.

Also, ban TV writers from ever going on Twitter or Reddit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The dawning realization that S1 isn't about the Robot Uprising and is all prologue is loving astounding.

Then :flaccid:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I made the original thread for this show (really early, too, since they pushed the premier back by almost a year iirc) and I cannot believe how quickly it went to poo poo. Now HBO is just deleting it? Lol
lmao same

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I honestly think that Westworld only has one actually bad season (2). The other are messy, but mediocre at worst, they mostly suffer because season one was so good.

Heroes though, got REAL bad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

evenworse username posted:

Westworld is perhaps the prime example of a show that should have just stopped. I really don't know what story they could have gone on to tell that would have worked nearly as well as s1, especially with all the big reveals that were dropped. Obviously there's always a temptation to keep making more of something that was really well received (and made $$$) but part of the skill of any artist is knowing when you're done.

The creators were saying back around season 1 that they supposedly had it all planned out for 5 seasons, which, lol, lmao

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Entropic posted:

The creators were saying back around season 1 that they supposedly had it all planned out for 5 seasons, which, lol, lmao

They were! Ed Brubaker (who wrote in season 1) said in interviews that he was still watching the show and seeing stuff that the creators were revving up to do.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They probably had the big beats planned out (robbits escape, robbits take over world, apocalypse) but had no idea how to connect the dots

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Westworld is another case of reality not living up to expectations. I thought we all got over it with the second and third Matrix movies, but...

To be clear, I've internalized the fact that stuff can and will disappoint me so my expectations are never that high.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

X-Files dropped the ball pretty hard. To be fair it produced a lot more good stuff before it tanked and still sprinkled in good monster of the week episodes. But the main plot went from the episodes I looked forward to most to absolute poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ten year show logan run law