Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

For the record, the run on groceries is kinda stupid because the warehouses basically have infinite food and supplies they just need you to calm the gently caress down so they can move them from the warehouses to the store. Just get enough to self isolate for two weeks.
Yeah, I almost added a comment that I hope everyone who is currently freaking out fills up their pantry/freezer soon. So all the poo poo that's currently not on shelves comes back, because there's no earthly reason for there to be shortages on most poo poo.

I normally don't really stock up on anything because I live within walking distance of one grocery store and within a mile of another, so I usually end up going to the grocery store a couple times a week. And this time last week the only thing that was completely sold out (that I noticed) was fuckin' toilet paper. As of last Friday things were starting to look slightly picked-over in the meat section and the fresh produce was mostly just plain empty except for poo poo like leafy greens. Canned veg, canned soup, and that kind of thing were down to scattered random cans on the shelves. Dried pasta and bulk rice, beans, and that kind of thing were looking low with a bunch of empty spaces on the shelves. This afternoon fresh and frozen meat was completely gone, frozen veg were completely gone (except for those lonely-rear end bags of okra), eggs were completely gone, soft cheeses were completely gone, the bakery section was completely bare, the baking section was completely bare except for a couple of packets of yeast, baking powder, and that kind of thing, canned soda was down to a couple of off-brands. But on the other hand fresh produce was low but back in stock. Like none of the produce section displays looked full like they do on an ordinary day, but I don't think there were any empty spaces. Also other perishable poo poo that presumably nobody is trying to stockpile/freeze--like fresh milk--were at more or less normal stock levels.

Hopefully as poo poo starts coming back in stock people will learn that they don't have to freak the gently caress out over groceries and it doesn't turn into a crisis manufactured by the prepper-types trying to build a dragon hoard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
my baked bean recipe calls for me to discard the fat/skin from my smoked ham hock. I used to just give it to the dogs as a treat, but I don't have dogs any more :(

What can I do with the skin off a ham hock?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bake and eat like a potato chip? Use binder clips to keep it stretched flat on a cooling rack or something

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The canonical Southern approach to pork rind is to fry for a couple minutes and then bake/roast on a rack. You can bake/roast and then fry if you want a more chicharron-type thing (less like a rasher of bacon, more like puffy bag-of-pork-rinds pork rinds).

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Bake and eat like a potato chip? Use binder clips to keep it stretched flat on a cooling rack or something

SubG posted:

The canonical Southern approach to pork rind is to fry for a couple minutes and then bake/roast on a rack. You can bake/roast and then fry if you want a more chicharron-type thing (less like a rasher of bacon, more like puffy bag-of-pork-rinds pork rinds).

this is a great idea! I loved chicharron when I visted Seville so it makes sense to try at home!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cream of asparagus soup. Strain after blending, or just blend?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Cream of asparagus soup. Strain after blending, or just blend?
If I was trying to get laid or hired off of my cooking I'd strain, but as apocalypse survival soup gently caress straining.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

SubG posted:

If I was trying to get laid or hired off of my cooking I'd strain, but as apocalypse survival soup gently caress straining.

That's good fiber you'd be getting rid of

I made hot sauce that's fermenting, and a cream cheese almond coffee cake today

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

My wife made quinoa white bean soup today! Real simple lots of leftovers!

Just sautee carrots celery onion, then add chicken stock, canned tomatoes canned beans, quinoa and herbs. Boil then simmer 20 min S&P to taste!

She made a big batch of bolognese last night and I froze the leftovers into two-person serving packets. If you lay the plastic bags flat in the freezer they're easy to store after they freeze.

Never made a post that had a second page :woop:

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

The store was out of bread

...except for fresh baguettes and rye.

Who the gently caress turns those down?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm so glad I learned how to bake bread

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

slothrop posted:

my baked bean recipe calls for me to discard the fat/skin from my smoked ham hock. I used to just give it to the dogs as a treat, but I don't have dogs any more :(

What can I do with the skin off a ham hock?

That's the most crushing part when your dog dies, aagh. When my childhood dog passed (we had her from when I was 5 till age 17), the things I remember the most was the last time I saw her at the vet, when my parents told us that they had to put her down, and the first time I dropped food and she wasn't there to get it off the floor.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
https://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice

this is still a rock solid recipe

if you can find pickled pock hocks, get those in there too with a decent amount of the brine.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've been spoiled for years by living a five minute walk away from a great co-op and a short train ride away from a Trader Joe's, so I got used to making 3-4 grocery trips a week. My wife and I try to keep a good stock of dried beans, rice, canned things on hand because that's sort of what she grew up with, but not being able to comfortably say "hm, I'd better pop out for some more kale" has been really weird.

So far, we've just been trying to get through the perishables we have on hand and make room in the freezer for things like tofu and meat. I have to say I'm also extremely grateful the instant pot we got for the holidays last year. Being able to rehydrate beans on a whim is magnificent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you have relatives near you that are elderly they should be able to buy fresh produce for you at Trader Joe's. They will institute a "seniors and immuno-compromised only" morning hours soon.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So weirdly my grocery store was pretty ok on produce, more than plenty for all the canned goods and pasta etc, but the meat section was fuuuuuuuucked. Nothing left but party packs of chicken wings, sausage, and some of the weirder roast cuts. Does anyone know if a pork sirloin tip roast will shred easily when cooked or is this going to be a slice thing? Also can I slice off some before cooking to make tonkatsu or is that just crazypants?

This is probably the first time I've entered a grocery store and not walked out with a baguette or something similar. I'm committed to trying the artisan bread in 5 min a day trick while I'm unemployed and have a few buddies doing it along with me so we can compare notes and pretend like its human contact.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So weirdly my grocery store was pretty ok on produce, more than plenty for all the canned goods and pasta etc, but the meat section was fuuuuuuuucked. Nothing left but party packs of chicken wings, sausage, and some of the weirder roast cuts. Does anyone know if a pork sirloin tip roast will shred easily when cooked or is this going to be a slice thing? Also can I slice off some before cooking to make tonkatsu or is that just crazypants?

This is probably the first time I've entered a grocery store and not walked out with a baguette or something similar. I'm committed to trying the artisan bread in 5 min a day trick while I'm unemployed and have a few buddies doing it along with me so we can compare notes and pretend like its human contact.
Sliced pork sirloin should work just fine for tonkatsu, just slice thin and pound like you would with a cutlet. If you're trying to make pulled pork with a sirloin roast that'll work, but it'll be drier than e.g. butt or shoulder so if you're roasting it in a pan watch it and/or use more braising liquid. If you're doing it in a slow cooker you might want to add a little more liquid but it should work out more or less the same.

In terms of panic buying-induced shortages, locally the white people grocery stores are all pretty picked over but the local Korean grocery store isn't as bad. And I went to a local wholesale/restaurant food service place and they were both a) not packed with people and b) had full shelves. I went in looking for beef brisket and they were out of that (apparently due to St Patrick's Day) but everything else looked to be at normal stock levels. Of course they don't sell like individual steaks or anything like that, just cryopacked primals. Which might be a bit much if you're not used to dealing with that kind of thing and/or you're just cooking for yourself, but isn't a big deal if you've got a knife and some freezer space.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

SubG posted:

In terms of panic buying-induced shortages, locally the white people grocery stores are all pretty picked over but the local Korean grocery store isn't as bad.

Yeah, our co-op was swarmed and picked clean but I popped out to our tiny little Korean grocery and it had everything I could ever need, and some of the bodegas near us had most of the staples too. I'm curious how bigger Asian groceries like Hmart are faring but not curious enough to get in the car and find out myself.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

SubG posted:

Sliced pork sirloin should work just fine for tonkatsu, just slice thin and pound like you would with a cutlet. If you're trying to make pulled pork with a sirloin roast that'll work, but it'll be drier than e.g. butt or shoulder so if you're roasting it in a pan watch it and/or use more braising liquid. If you're doing it in a slow cooker you might want to add a little more liquid but it should work out more or less the same.

I was going to pressure cook it, so moisture hopefully won't be an issue. Glad to hear I can still get both my plans off the ground. Bread dough is mixed! Hardest part of this whole process apparently is finding a 6 qt container. I am using a stock pot as is tradition. Hopefully my bread curse is over and it rises with no problems.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I was going to pressure cook it, so moisture hopefully won't be an issue. Glad to hear I can still get both my plans off the ground.
If you want more specific tips, you can definitely find recipes specifically for pressure cooker pulled pork made with pork sirloin.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I will vouch for visiting your local ethnic market.

“They say they don’t have, but they have! Sake! Rice! Beans! AHAHAHA!”

Prepare to get stared at the same way dark skinned people do in white neighborhoods tho. If people aren’t staring at you, your grocery isn’t ethnic enough.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Both the Ranch 99s and the International Supermarket here in Vegas have produce and fish galore, but you won't find a single grain of rice or package of noodles.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Meat and produce were fine here, but zero starches and not a loaf of bread to be found in town. So I'm falling back on old skills.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

My bread is swollen and fat

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Good ol' bagel seasoning from Trader Joe's. It really improves everything.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My bread is swollen and fat

As is mine!

Edit: Done!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 19, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That looks wonderful.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I gotta go to the supermarket to stock up ahead of a rumored shelter-in-place and goddammit I wish I had more staple recipes in my head cause I can't think of what to get besides rice and beans. Plus, I'm still doing low-carb.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We are at shelter in place and we can still go out for groceries. The corner stores still have stuff like milk and butter. I'm doing low carb too so I stocked up on almond flour, coconut oil, and coconut flour. I have enough to bake for months. Also grab some Quest bars. They are only 4g carbs each.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I gotta go to the supermarket to stock up ahead of a rumored shelter-in-place and goddammit I wish I had more staple recipes in my head cause I can't think of what to get besides rice and beans. Plus, I'm still doing low-carb.
Eggs unless you've got something against eggs. The best by date is suuuuuper conservative, so if you go through eggs anyway don't sweat picking up more than you think you need immediately.

Cheese unless you've got something against cheese. Locally cheese got bought out of the chain supermarkets, but my local wholesale/food service supply place still had plenty.

Other dairy unless you've got something against dairy. Remember that you can freeze most dairy if you have to.

Those are fairly durable proteins if you get sick of eating beans.

Of course there are animal proteins if you can get them and you eat animal protein. Remember that you can freeze what you're not going to consume immediately. Pick up freezer storage bags and/or wax paper/parchment for storage if you aren't already set up for freezing poo poo. And again, locally at least the chain supermarkets have been bought out when I've checked in the past week or so, but the local Korean market and food service place have been at normal stock levels.

Also if you haven't I'd check my levels of other stuff: salt, sugar, butter, cooking oils, and so on.

And I don't think I ever leave a grocery store, in a time of crisis or otherwise, without picking up some garlic, onion, and whatever other common cooking veg might happen to be in season (basil unless my garden is producing, some green beans or broccoli or whatever, and so on). And about half the time I end up picking up a jar of sambal or oyster sauce or whatever because I always have a jar of something that's almost empty and I can never remember what it is and always guess wrong. The punchline here being remember the things you need for cooking that aren't the main protein or whatever.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

SubG posted:

Eggs unless you've got something against eggs. The best by date is suuuuuper conservative, so if you go through eggs anyway don't sweat picking up more than you think you need immediately.

Cheese unless you've got something against cheese. Locally cheese got bought out of the chain supermarkets, but my local wholesale/food service supply place still had plenty.

Other dairy unless you've got something against dairy. Remember that you can freeze most dairy if you have to.

Those are fairly durable proteins if you get sick of eating beans.

Of course there are animal proteins if you can get them and you eat animal protein. Remember that you can freeze what you're not going to consume immediately. Pick up freezer storage bags and/or wax paper/parchment for storage if you aren't already set up for freezing poo poo. And again, locally at least the chain supermarkets have been bought out when I've checked in the past week or so, but the local Korean market and food service place have been at normal stock levels.

Also if you haven't I'd check my levels of other stuff: salt, sugar, butter, cooking oils, and so on.

And I don't think I ever leave a grocery store, in a time of crisis or otherwise, without picking up some garlic, onion, and whatever other common cooking veg might happen to be in season (basil unless my garden is producing, some green beans or broccoli or whatever, and so on). And about half the time I end up picking up a jar of sambal or oyster sauce or whatever because I always have a jar of something that's almost empty and I can never remember what it is and always guess wrong. The punchline here being remember the things you need for cooking that aren't the main protein or whatever.

Onions and garlic!!!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm going to try making misr wot, but I only have green lentils instead of red lentils, how big of a heresy is this?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

PT6A posted:

I'm going to try making misr wot, but I only have green lentils instead of red lentils, how big of a heresy is this?

I've done it, it was okay. Has to cook for a good bit longer, make sure to top it off with water plenty often

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

alnilam posted:

I've done it, it was okay. Has to cook for a good bit longer, make sure to top it off with water plenty often

Yeah, that's the plan. I imagine if anything it will just have a different texture but still be quite tasty.

EDIT: It worked. Nice and burning hot, as befits misr wot, and the textural difference is noticeable but not unpleasant. Also I uh, way overestimated the amount of dry lentils needed to make a single serving of a meal. I thought I'd have maybe one solid meal and one small meal, instead I've got three solid meals.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 20, 2020

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:hellyeah: for solid meals

I'm soaking a pound of black beans. I usually kinda improvise with some cumin and stuff and get something pretty tasty but I have never really captured the flavor of Cuban style black beans and rice. Anyone have a solid recipe, one without meat?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

alnilam posted:

I'm soaking a pound of black beans. I usually kinda improvise with some cumin and stuff and get something pretty tasty but I have never really captured the flavor of Cuban style black beans and rice. Anyone have a solid recipe, one without meat?
I don't have a recipe for a vegetarian version, but the flavour components of the non-veg version is ham hock broth, onion and bell pepper, a lot of bay plus a little cumin and oregano, and then vinegar with a pinch of sugar. Or at least that's what Cuban-American places do, I don't know what the mas cubano que tu version is.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

alnilam posted:

According to the passed down recipes of my Cuban in-laws, the two secret ingredients are Spanish dried chorizo and a packet of Sazón Goya (aka MSG + spices). Just the Sazón Goya will be fine - we’ve made black beans a bunch while out of chorizo.

Otherwise, our list of spices and seasonings to go in the beans is:
- Bay leaf
- Oregano (Mexican variety preferred, but totally not a big deal if you can’t get it)
- Cumin
- Coriander
- Goya brand Adobo
- Salt and pepper

Seriously, Sazón Goya is the secret to many a family recipe and is often the one thing you need to take your Cuban family recipe cooking to the next level.

Lemme figure out the whole thing in writing and I’ll come back. It might not be completely accurate because the beans are mostly my husband’s wheelhouse. I’ll also post my Cuban lentil soup recipe (which I really need to commit to writing). I am good at cooking but hilariously bad at recipes (both following them and remembering ones I make up that turn out well).

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pressure-cooked sausage and bean stew meal prep. Recipe here.

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 21, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

Kenji: there are no documented cases of coronavirus transmission through food or food packaging

Order takeout! Support restaurants! But wash your hands after using a keypad or door handle....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Both the Ranch 99s and the International Supermarket here in Vegas have produce and fish galore, but you won't find a single grain of rice or package of noodles.

I went to a 99 Ranch in the SF Bay Area the other day, and yeah. Certain types of produce were completely picked over, but there was still a good selection. The only meats available were a couple of whole chickens and some assorted offal, but there was plenty of seafood. Only one brand of tofu left but whatever, it's tofu. Mitsuwa was pretty much the same story.

Oddly enough, I ended up buying rice at Daiso. I wasn't planning on buying groceries there, but it was $3 for 2lbs of brown rice, so why not.