Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

SubG posted:

It's kinda wild seeing what items in every section are the nerd that doesn't get invited to the dance. Locally in frozen veg it's okra, which is nuts because okra owns. Similarly all the soft cheeses are loving gone but there's still blocks of hard cheeses.

Last time I made a grocery run, I had a hankering for some risotto. Lo and behold, ever single type of rice at the store was completely sold out. Except Arborio. I understand it isn't the *ideal* rice for risotto, but it's all I've ever seen locally, and it works good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You can make risotto with any kind of rice.

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008

ughhhh posted:

I hope people are saving the peels and scraps of veggies gen they cook. You can make great stock with all the carro/potato peels and ends of garlic and other veggies. Just make sure you don't put citrus or seeds(such as seeds from peppers). Less than ideal to put it in the freezer but it's fine to do so.

I made 3 quarts of veggie stock that I am now using for everything from 1 week of veggie scraps.

Will herb stems always turn bitter in stock though? I've had two pressure cooked stocks with scraps including cilantro stems turn out really bitter, the less-cooked one less so.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

ughhhh posted:

I hope people are saving the peels and scraps of veggies gen they cook. You can make great stock with all the carro/potato peels and ends of garlic and other veggies. Just make sure you don't put citrus or seeds(such as seeds from peppers). Less than ideal to put it in the freezer but it's fine to do so.

I made 3 quarts of veggie stock that I am now using for everything from 1 week of veggie scraps.

You know it!

We started the bag a couple of weeks ago, and we should have some chicken parts tonight. I heard potato peels make it cloudy, but onion skins make it richly colored. Also green beans make it bitter? Im excited haven't made stock in years. Beef stock made from roasted bones was my secret weapon back when I did competition chili (nothing big just a small town thing but I did it several years in a row).

There's some great stuff in that budget bytes guide about freezing your onion, garlic, and peppers that I wanna try thanks for posting it.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Your cast iron can have a little bacon...as a treat

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Eat This Glob posted:

Your cast iron can have a little bacon...as a treat

haha this made my wife laugh.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

These eggs were slightly on the runny side. Made a bunch to make ramen eggs though so there are now a pile curing in soy sauce brine in the fridge.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made some buffalo chickpeas! The sauce was just butter, sambal olek, garlic powder, salt, vinegar, and a pinch of brown sugar. I simmered that up, put a little corn starch slurry in to keep it from separating too bad, then tossed the cooked chickpeas in to coat and warm up. Served over spinach with blue cheese. Absolutely delicious.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

I made some buffalo chickpeas! The sauce was just butter, sambal olek, garlic powder, salt, vinegar, and a pinch of brown sugar. I simmered that up, put a little corn starch slurry in to keep it from separating too bad, then tossed the cooked chickpeas in to coat and warm up. Served over spinach with blue cheese. Absolutely delicious.

Oh poo poo how have I not had this before.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ooh I've never used sambal oelek for buffalo sauce before. I usually use cholula because we get more general use out of that than we would Frank's or Crystal or whatever, but I love sambal and use it for all kinds of other stuff like livening up a pizza sauce base or a broth or a marinade (I used up the last of our last jar yesterday making tofu jerky).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I used sambal because I have two big jars of it that need using. My SIL ate almost an entire jar of it one time she was over for a few days, so I bought a big jar to replace it. Then SHE brought a big jar to replace what she had used.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Suspect Bucket posted:

I used sambal because I have two big jars of it that need using. My SIL ate almost an entire jar of it one time she was over for a few days, so I bought a big jar to replace it. Then SHE brought a big jar to replace what she had used.

This sounds like the best kind of mix up you could have.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I keep a lot of cannellini beans for doing pasta sauce but we decided to try something new and made fasoulia, :drat: it was loving good, highly recommend

The recipe we used, loosely adapted from a few sources based on what we had bc of the coronapocalypse, was:

2 med onions
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pep
½ tsp cinn
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp coriander

1 14ozcan diced fire roasted tomatoes
2 cans worth, or 2/3 lb dry then cooked, cannellini beans

1 cup water

2-3 Tbsp lemon juice

Carmelize onion with all spices on low-med heat in a thick bottom, perhaps even cast iron, pot (20ish min)

Add beans, tomato, water, bring to boil, simmer 10 min

Add lemon juice just before serving, garnishing with fresh cilantro or flat parsley would be good if you have it (we didn't)

Serve with bread

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bean meal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYZnPk_Lwg

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Maybe not beans, but not a bad quarantine recipe - made chicken and sausage gumbo with okra for Easter dinner. Recipe is straight-forward gumbo recipe. Currently closest to a cook's illustrated recipe at this point, though with okra and a bit more spice, since I'm trying a dry (oven-toasted) roux instead of the classic wet roux.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup white flour
  • Trinity veg (1 onion, 2 celery stalks, 1 green or yellow pepper, diced)
  • Frozen okra (10-16 oz), thawed
  • 4 cloves of garlic, diced
  • 1 tsp each cayenne pepper, paprika, and dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4-5 cups chicken stock
  • 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1/2-3/4 lb andouille sausage, halved and sliced into small pieces
  • 6 scallions
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar
  1. In an oven at 400 degrees, toast 1 cup of white flour in a large 12 inch skillet, 20-40 minutes stirring and breaking up clumps often (e.g. every 5 minutes max after the first 10). The toasted flour should be somewhere between the color of peanut butter and ground cinnamon, not darker. Note that the flour will darken significantly when mixed with a liquid, and if you judge the color you want based on past experience with the color of wet roux, you will burn it. When it's done, remove it to a bowl to cool.
  2. In a large dutch oven while the flour toasts, heat 1 tbsp of veg. oil over medium heat and trinity + okra for about 10 minutes. Vegetables should soften okra mostly lose its sliminess in this process. Add in garlic and spices, cook for 1-2 more minutes until fragrant.
  3. Stir in 2-2.5 cups of chicken broth and add chicken thighs. Cover and simmer until chicken is done, about 15 minutes.
  4. While the chicken simmers, finish the roux: slowly whisk the other 2-2.5 cups of chicken stock into the toasted flour to form a dark, smooth paste.
  5. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside on a plate. When cool enough to handle, cut into small pieces.
  6. While chicken cools, slowly whisk in the flour paste, then add the sausage to the pot. Simmer uncovered until slightly thickened, 20-30 minutes, , returning the cut chicken pieces to the pot once they've been cut up, probably about halfway through, to heat through and continue simmering.
  7. Add 1 tbsp of white vinegar and chopped scallions, remove bay leaves, and adjust seasoning to taste with cayenne and salt.

Serve hot over white rice.

I have a pressure cooker black beans recipe I make occasionally I may break out later this week. If I do, I'll try to remember to post it here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Borachon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 13, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Currently vibing on my two ingredient soup.

Kimchi + tinned tuna with as much water as you want to make it a soup and cook till it's hot. Feeling like a bit more protein then drop an egg in there to poach.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kimchi + hot dogs or spam works too. Throw in some kraft cheese and a block of ramen noodles and baby you got a stew going.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Inceltown posted:

Currently vibing on my two ingredient soup.

Kimchi + tinned tuna with as much water as you want to make it a soup and cook till it's hot. Feeling like a bit more protein then drop an egg in there to poach.

Congrats, you have independently discovered kimchi jjigae. You can make it much better with only a little more effort, but you have the basic version that most people cook down. Swap that water for some dashi (powdered is fine), add any or all of: some tofu cubes, chopped green onion, garlic, gochugaru, gochujang, mushrooms, dab of sesame oil to finish.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Hi everybody hope you and yours are well! Without further ado

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

:zoid: a feast fit for a king :zoid:

This recipe is from my wife's NYT cooking app her friend bought her. She only cooks the well-reviewed ones and it's still hit and miss, but this one is a hit!

Knob of butter
1.5 cup diced carrots
1.5 cup shallots (onion oughta work)
8 oz sliced mushrooms (we used crimini)
5 thyme sprigs
3 minced garlic cloves
1 cup red wine
2 tsp tomato paste (wife used 2 tbsp came out great)
2 16 oz cans of cannellini beans
2 cup low sodium veg broth (ours was homemade from scraps, see post above!)
1 tbsp cognac or brandy
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (from our new but humble garden)
1 tsp balsamic

Melt butter, cook onion and carrot with S&P cook until begin to soften 5 min
Add mushrooms 7min
Add thyme sprigs and garlic 30 sec
Add wine and tomato paste until wine is mostly cooked down
Add beans, broth, cognac, salt and pepper.
simmer 25 min
remove from heat, remove sprigs, stir in balsamic, garnish with parsley!

I believe canned mushrooms and great northern beans would be fine substitutes.
edit: Now that I think about it I bay leaf this recipe would benefit from a bay leaf.

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 16, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Beanutiful

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BBQ Dave posted:

Hi everybody hope you and yours are well! Without further ado

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

:zoid: a feast fit for a king :zoid:

This recipe is from my wife's NYT cooking app her friend bought her. She only cooks the well-reviewed ones and it's still hit and miss, but this one is a hit!

Knob of butter
1.5 cup diced carrots
1.5 cup shallots (onion oughta work)
8 oz sliced mushrooms (we used crimini)
5 thyme sprigs
3 minced garlic cloves
1 cup red wine
2 tsp tomato paste (wife used 2 tbsp came out great)
2 16 oz cans of cannellini beans
2 cup low sodium veg broth (ours was homemade from scraps, see post above!)
1 tbsp cognac or brandy
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (from our new but humble garden)
1 tsp balsamic

Melt butter, cook onion and carrot with S&P cook until begin to soften 5 min
Add mushrooms 7min
Add thyme sprigs and garlic 30 sec
Add wine and tomato paste until wine is mostly cooked down
Add beans, broth, cognac, salt and pepper.
simmer 25 min
remove from heat, remove sprigs, stir in balsamic, garnish with parsley!

I believe canned mushrooms and great northern beans would be fine substitutes.
edit: Now that I think about it I bay leaf this recipe would benefit from a bay leaf.

bean Bean BeaN BEAN

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Inceltown posted:

bean Bean BeaN BEAN

*more people come out into the hallway joining the chant* bean! Bean! beaN!

*chant grows deafeningly loud as people spill out into the streets* BEAN! BEAN! BEAN!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

alnilam posted:

*more people come out into the hallway joining the chant* bean! Bean! beaN!

*chant grows deafeningly loud as people spill out into the streets* BEAN! BEAN! BEAN!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Meat is gone, only beans remain.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Meat is gone, only beans remain.

and nothing of value was lost

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
It kinda sucks it took a pandemic to get the general populace buying beans but my god I hope people enjoy them. That rancho Gordo brand was seling insane amounts of beans because of this debacle. On the pulse side of things I'm so glad I finally developed a taste for chickpeas and can't get enough. My partner just made coconut curry paste chickpeas with brocolli and bell peppers with rice and it was delicous. Have also developed a love of channa masala from our local Indian restaurant - they told us they're actually doing pretty well with just takeout sales here in Los Angeles - and I'm torn between learning how to cook it and just ordering it from them to support the business.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

bartlebee posted:

It kinda sucks it took a pandemic to get the general populace buying beans but my god I hope people enjoy them.

Word.

bartlebee posted:

My partner just made coconut curry paste chickpeas with broccoli and bell peppers with rice and it was delicious.

You should take a picture and post the recipe next time bartlebee. Unless of course, you'd "prefer not to" :haw:

Black Bean Soup
New York times food app strikes again. This one was okay.... we'll go over potential improvements.

1 tsp pureed chipotle adobo (we froze some in ice cube trays the last time we opened a 7 oz can)
2 tsp evo
2 carrots peeled and chopped
2 onions peeled and chopped (went with shallots because that was what we had, fine mince cuz that how my lady likes em. She did everything else (except the tortila strips))
4 minced garlic cloves
1cup red wine
2 jalapenos seeded and chopped
1 lb dry black beans (recipe advises "do not soak" ... this is where it went off the rails for me)
2 quarts veggie or chicken stock (we used the stock we made from vegetable scraps pictured earlier in the thread)

oregano
bay leaves
red wine vinegar to taste (we went with balsamic because that was what we had)

sautee garlic, onion, and carrot in the evo, 5-10 min (recipe did not say when to add)

Add the wine and cook down, then add jalapenos and cook for a couple of minutes, then make a hole in the middle of the veggies and fry the chipotle a couple of minutes before mixing together. Add beans, stock, bay leaves, and oregano. Boil for 15 then leave the lid cracked open and simmer for 1 to 2 hours. It took longer than 2 hours and instead of soupy it was just kinda... stewy. My wife hit it with the stick blender just a bit.

Got bored and hungry during that time so I defrosted some corn tortillas (never freezing corn tortillas again.. failed experiment. Steam seems to be the best way to bring them back to life), sliced em up, mixed with seasoned veggie oil and baked them in the oven 10 min 375 I think. Made up for the dearth of toppings this dish was screaming for (all we had was cotija)

Oh and I farted all morning and day after. Not angry or stinky farts just a merry little staccato all day long. This is why we will be soaking the beans and changing the water a couple of times next time. And there will be a next time there's a good flavor here. Besides soaking the beans if I get a whack at this one I'll add more stock, puree smooth, lots of toppings... toasted chickpeas, homemade sour cream (looked it up, fun and easy), pickled onions, breaded and fried jalapeno slices, avocado, a spoiler, spinning rims etc

And there were leftovers tonight so I'm on the road again! There was some leftover pork loin and mango salsa at work with brown rice. Thanks for reading everyone! Keep the recipes coming even the beanless ones.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bartlebee posted:

It kinda sucks it took a pandemic to get the general populace buying beans but my god I hope people enjoy them. That rancho Gordo brand was seling insane amounts of beans because of this debacle. On the pulse side of things I'm so glad I finally developed a taste for chickpeas and can't get enough. My partner just made coconut curry paste chickpeas with brocolli and bell peppers with rice and it was delicous. Have also developed a love of channa masala from our local Indian restaurant - they told us they're actually doing pretty well with just takeout sales here in Los Angeles - and I'm torn between learning how to cook it and just ordering it from them to support the business.

I am an unstoppable curried chickpea fiend. They are vastly better once you start cooking from dried instead of canned too, although I cheat and do them in my instant pot. Chana masala with some spinach wilted in is my jam.

1.5c dry chickpeas, 3T oil/butter/ghee, a chopped medium onion, a few cloves of garlic (2T), an inch or so of minced ginger, couple minced green chilis (I use serannos since that's what I can get), 1.5c diced tomato (canned is fine), and a couple good handfuls of spinach. Tsp of salt, tsp tumeric, 2 bay leaves, tsp chili powder, tsp cumin seed, 2 cardamom pods, tsp garam masala, tbsp of dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). 2c water or stock.

Soak the beans (or don't, but the tomatoes will overcook). Heat the oil, toast the cumin, bay, and coriander. Once they're sputtering add the onion and sautee until softend. Add tomato, garlic, ginger, chilis, salt, tumeric, and chili powder. Sautee ~5m until the tomatoes start to break down. Add the beans, 2c liquid, set to manual pressure and run 30m. 10m natural release. Kick back on to sautee, stir in garam masala, kasuri methi, and spinach. Simmer for a few minutes until spinach wilts, cutting with water/stock if it seems too thick.

If you want to pad it out more, throw in a couple potatoes with the chickpeas, 1" cubed.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 18, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The twelve year old made us egg sandwiches for breakfast, with avocado that had lime and cilantro. Not what I expected but damned if it isn't tasty.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/money/restaurant-depot-wholesale-grocery-prices

Restaurant Depot is now open to the public! Get massive industrial portions of food at wholesale prices! See the whacky no-name brands cheap restaurants and bars use, like Senator Whiskey!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZmnG7xc94

Made scallion pancake, but I fried it, then pulled it out and rolled it even flatter with a rolling pin, then fried it again. Got some great crunch and flaky layering

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm posting this here because I hate you specifically. Do not think I'm talking about someone else it is being put here because you are the worst poster, your fears and doubts are right.

https://twitter.com/EscoBlades/status/1250885658689839104

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Made this yesterday - they're good beans!!!!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Made this for breakfast this morning but was too hungry to think of taking a pic. A super simple tomato fried egg thing that takes almost no time and allows you to use up some of the tomatoes you may have bought extra off because you're worried about hits to the supply chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJNNq_-vKEE

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's the most Chinese food ever and it's strange that it's not in more Chinese restaurants. I guess it's considered more home cooking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Trip report: Restaurant Depot is open to the public now since the restaurant industry is collapsing.

https://imgur.com/a/YXSXpDY

Open 7am to 3pm, they require non-members to sign in. They are very empty since I guess most of the public hasn’t caught on yet or doesn’t want LOL huge portions.

No returns because of coronaparanoia. I accidentally bought 20 pounds of orecchiette thinking it was elbow macaroni. Oh well!

No booze sales to the public, which is unfortunate because I was curious about the bottom shelf Bar Code Brand garbage they had

A few things have regular human portions, like chocolate syrup, oats, etc but most of it’s like 6 pound cans of fruits and veggies, 20 pound bags of beans and 50 pound bags of rice or onions or potatoes

Plenty of jugs of cleaning supplies, but no Clorox wipes, no Lysol can sprays and no yeast

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

drat, our local Restaurant Depot was in the part of town that got destroyed by a tornado.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My friend in Chicago says his local one is swamped by old Greek ladies though so YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Yelp reviews for mine say there are long lines to get those day passes. I don't really want 20 pounds of chickens though.