Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

3 Bean and kale soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

That's the most Chinese food ever and it's strange that it's not in more Chinese restaurants. I guess it's considered more home cooking.

I'm upset that it's not more common, I'd never even heard of it before that video came up on YT, but given how simple it is that is not going to stop me from making it my breakfast every day from now until roni death. It's so tasty.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

yeah imagine if restaurants started selling super simple stuff like avocado on toast for $10. Get on it, Chinese restaurants.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

Trip report: Restaurant Depot is open to the public now since the restaurant industry is collapsing.

https://imgur.com/a/YXSXpDY

Open 7am to 3pm, they require non-members to sign in. They are very empty since I guess most of the public hasn’t caught on yet or doesn’t want LOL huge portions.

No returns because of coronaparanoia. I accidentally bought 20 pounds of orecchiette thinking it was elbow macaroni. Oh well!

No booze sales to the public, which is unfortunate because I was curious about the bottom shelf Bar Code Brand garbage they had

A few things have regular human portions, like chocolate syrup, oats, etc but most of it’s like 6 pound cans of fruits and veggies, 20 pound bags of beans and 50 pound bags of rice or onions or potatoes

Plenty of jugs of cleaning supplies, but no Clorox wipes, no Lysol can sprays and no yeast
This looks like heaven! I wish I still lived in the US. What are the prices like? What does 50 lbs of shortening run you?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
broadly similar to webstaurant supply

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No pics, but I've been working through my stock of black eyed peas and I can confirm that black eyed peas are still indeed very good.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I love Pinto's Mmmm Good. Pinto's picked and cleaned then fill the crock pot with water and let cook until tender. Red New Mexico chile powder or fresh if you have it salt garlic and some sort of fat like bacon or oil to take the edge/bitter off of the Chile. If you like throw a little browned hamburger into the soupy mess. Church potlucks always had 3 to 5 types of Chile Beans which is not the same as Chili. This might be an extreme south western New Mexican dish that we enjoyed near the NM panhandle. I will poke some good hearted fun at you eastern New Mexicans who embrace that filth called TexMex. Hah too each there own. I am not wanting to start a bean war!

The Colorado Anasazi beans are pretty good though. I like them with fresh green chile pods.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

What time is it? It's pretzely sausage roll time! I thought we were going to use the frozen sausage in stews and beans but instead, my wife did this recipe from the great British bake off book. We don't eat a lot of bread so it's kind of a special treat and I'm glad I stocked up on flour and yeast (thanks to early advice in this thread thanks again!)

No beans here, but she's making a stew thing tonight that is one of the best kale delivery systems I've ever so stay tuned for that.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Those are some very fancy Pigs in a Blanket. I wish I could try them. Good Job! I want to hear about this Kale delivery device.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

stinkypete posted:

Those are some very fancy Pigs in a Blanket. I wish I could try them. Good Job! I want to hear about this Kale delivery device.

I'll pass the compliment on. I can't really bake, that's my wife's jam. We had a crappy day, which happens, so we just split a can of chicken soup for dinner and put it off a day. Here's the recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019772-spiced-chickpea-stew-with-coconut-and-turmeric

Pics tomorrow hopefully. Stay safe everyone!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Can confirm greatness of that Kale Delivery System. My sister-in-law introduced us to that one and it’s 11/10

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Really tasty! I made garlic naan in the cast iron using the recipe from food wishes, we snacked about a third of it waiting for the stew to finish.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BBQ Dave posted:

Really tasty! I made garlic naan in the cast iron using the recipe from food wishes, we snacked about a third of it waiting for the stew to finish.

That naan looks good. Do you live near me and can you throw one up 10 stories because drat son.

I mean it all looks good but I really want a naan right now and have no flour free to use for it.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I love homemade naan yum. I make mine on a cast iron skillet. How about you?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pro roni recipe. Biriani. Sweat some aromatics garlic, onion, goon scrotum. What ever you have it works. Now that poo poo has had a chance to breathe put in your spices. Cumin, turmeric, cardamom, coriander. If you have whole poo poo you know how to deal with it, if you don't just put in a ratio of 1:1:.02:2 as listed above. I don't know how big your batch is so actual measurements are hard. Don't go crazy but don't skimp out either.

After the spices have had a chance add what ever protein you fancy, just make sure it's small. Diced small, minced, your penis. Mince is a really good choice here. If you don't have mince or don't like minced things then just make it equivalent.

Mostly cook your protein.

Add a bunch of rice and enough stock / water to cook that rice + maybe a bit more.

Let it sit like you're just cooking that rice.

Congratulations you have biriani / pilaf / tasty loving rice. Not sure what they call it where you're from but that's it.

This is obviously not a real recipe and what you can get and what you like is very much up to you. At the same time this is an easy dish to make and you will enjoy it.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

stinkypete posted:

I love homemade naan yum. I make mine on a cast-iron skillet. How about you?

Yep, smokin' hot cast iron. Super easy check it out:

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/02/garlic-naan-now-100-tandoor-free.html

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Made some gnocchi today. Simply parmesan / butter sauce. My only regret is not making more.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I have a bunch of dry pasta. I usually prefer pesto to red sauce and am tired of them both. Any other saucing suggestions? Cooking with a pescatarian so ragus might be off the table, and I don't do milk/cream (cheez is OK).

Planning to try romesco but would like for other unconventional ideas.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

blk posted:

I have a bunch of dry pasta. I usually prefer pesto to red sauce and am tired of them both. Any other saucing suggestions? Cooking with a pescatarian so ragus might be off the table, and I don't do milk/cream (cheez is OK).

Cacio e Pepe

I'm a huge fan of puttanesca too but that is red sauce.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Cacio e pepe is cool, but does anyone know why it's suddenly having a moment? Not trying to question it as a choice or anything, just honestly curious why it's suddenly something everyone's making.

Anyway, another you-always-have-the-stuff pasta approach everyone should know is aglio e olio, which (as the name implies) is garlic (sliced or minced, and usually cooked until fragrant) and olive oil. Crushed red pepper is the most common embellishment.

Al burro is the (simpler) ancestor to alfredo sauces, consisting of cheese (typically parm) and butter. In the simplest form in equal quantities (by weight), by adding the grated cheese to the pasta with a bit of pasta water, tossing until the cheese is mostly melted, and then tossing with the butter until smooth. This classic version was embellished by first doubling the butter, then tripling it, producing the first dish known as fettuccine alfredo. Alfredo sauces with cream, thickeners, and so on all came later.

Carbonara is a goon favourite: fry some cured pork, cook some spaghetti, grate some hard cheese. When the pasta is done, throw it in the pan with the fried pork, add the cheese, crack an egg over the entire mess and toss to combine. A lot of verbiage has been devoted to which pork and cheese are the most ritualistically pure, but anything you have on hand will both work, be good, and and have as much historical precedent as more upscale versions.

One of the purity arguments involving carbonara involves the inclusion of peas. Without delving into that mess, it is worth noting that there are a whole shitload of pasta with peas recipes that are loving delicious and work perfectly with frozen peas. The basic pasta e piselli---pasta + peas + garlic + parm is good. The super traditional version involves cooking the pasta and peas together in chicken stock, using very little stock so that the pasta is ready when the stock is absorbed/evaporated and the pot is dry. This is a little finicky and I don't find the result to be worth the extra effort, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Cured pork is a common addition to pasta e piselli, and is great even if you run the risk of getting a lecture on carbonara when you make it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Lost my train of thought. The request was for nonmeat recipes, and I was going to describe carbonara and then point out that you can do basically the same thing without the pork, just adding some other fat to get the same texture/consistency. Butter is a common choice for this, which basically gives you al burro + egg.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I can't believe I just thought of the perfect answer for the thread: pasta e fagioli. Pasta and beans. Like pasta e piselli it's usually made with broth, and sometimes served as a soup-like thing instead of what in the US we think of as a `pasta dish' or whatever. But it's one of those things that's so basic that you can find a version of it everywhere and they're all different.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It is worth pointing out that, in Italian fashion, you add peas because you have peas. This is true for any vegetable - I had some really good zucchini flower carbonara once because of this highly praise-able philosophy.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SubG posted:

Cacio e pepe is cool, but does anyone know why it's suddenly having a moment? Not trying to question it as a choice or anything, just honestly curious why it's suddenly something everyone's making.

No idea why it's all the rage but I avoided saying al burro because my post just before that already used it as an idea.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

SubG posted:

Lost my train of thought. The request was for nonmeat recipes, and I was going to describe carbonara and then point out that you can do basically the same thing without the pork, just adding some other fat to get the same texture/consistency. Butter is a common choice for this, which basically gives you al burro + egg.
If you want non-meat non-vegetarian go Mushroom carbonara. It gives you the texture bits you get from the pork and adds umami to your butter/oil.

If you get more technical on your "non-meat" make seafood pasta: canned sardines, tomatoes and fennel go wonderful together.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If you're tired of pesto, making it with a different green can be quite nice. Arugula pesto is really nice and something of a change.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I made pesto a week or two ago with some dandelion greens that were on their last legs and it was delicious.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How Wonderful! posted:

I made pesto a week or two ago with some dandelion greens that were on their last legs and it was delicious.

Yuuup. Also don't hesitate to toast up any kind of nuts or throw a couple olives in there etc. We've been making pesto a couple times this month from greens on their way out.

Ours the other night was toasted pecans, olive oil, mustard greens, arugula and a little bit of parmesan. Came out awesome.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

angerbeet posted:

If you're tired of pesto, making it with a different green can be quite nice. Arugula pesto is really nice and something of a change.

Garlic mustard is super invasive in much of the US, you're doing the environment a favor if you pull as much as you can from wild forests, AND it makes a decent pesto.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

blk posted:

Sage and brown butter sauce is real good too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can try a vegan cheese sauce which can be a nice change of pace. It's generally some cooked sweet potato, carrots, and nutritional yeast in a blender. But it turns the dish into a carb bomb.

https://simpleveganblog.com/vegan-cheese/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gimme your best pinto beans recipes, preferably Mexican, preferably not charro.

I've made tons of beans but never cooked pintos before.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

That Works posted:

Refried beans too obvious?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

That Works posted:

https://patijinich.com/tarascan-soup/

https://dorastable.com/vegan-roasted-tomatillo-enchiladas/

https://dorastable.com/gallina-pinta-bean-and-hominy-soup/

https://flanandapplepie.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/sopa-purepecha-de-frijol-purepecha-bean-soup/

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014454-enfrijoladas

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SubG posted:

Refried beans too obvious?

That was gonna be my default if nothing else looked interesting.

Thanks!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

That Works posted:

preferably not charro.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ok maybe charro

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Cheap, easy, fast! Black bean bake! :)

1 tbsp oil
1 small onion minced
5 garlic cloves minced
.25 cup tomato paste
1 tsp cumin or less
.25 tsp red pepper flakes
1.5 tsp smoked paprika
2 14 oz cans black beans rinsed and drained
.5 cup boiling water
1.5 cup grated sharp cheddar
S&P
tortilla chips

- Preheat oven to 475

- Saute onion in cast iron pan until translucent and barely brown around edges

- Add garlic cook until fragrant

- add tomato paste and spices until dark 2 min at most

- add water and beans

- add S&P

- spread cheese on top

- put in the oven for 10 minutes.

- top with crumbled cotija and whatever other toppings you have on hand like salsa, leftover meats, diced avocado

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got celery, romaine and beets from a friend. What should I do with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

roast and chill the beets then slice them over a romaine and shredded celery salad.