Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Chard posted:

roast and chill the beets then slice them over a romaine and shredded celery salad.

:hmmyes:

Got asparagus?

https://www.mydeliciousblog.com/golden-beets-with-romaine-celery-leaves/

beets roasted > beets steamed

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BBQ Dave posted:

Chef John from foodwishes posted a simplified Red Beans and Rice. It's one dish in the oven, great for less experienced cooks.

"Due to certain worldwide events, I've been getting lots of requests for easy, hearty recipes that can be made using basic dry and canned goods. This incredibly delicious Spanish-style baked rice and beans is all that and more. You'll also see a fantastic, foolproof way of making perfect rice, every time. Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, and chopped cilantro, if you like."

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/279361/the-best-baked-rice-and-beans/

Thinking of making this but don't currently have any jars of salsa. I do have canned diced tomatoes. Should I just use those, add a little lime juice and salt and cayenne, and call a day?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Re: Fasoulia

Drain the cannellini beans or no?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Re: Fasoulia

Drain the cannellini beans or no?

Yeah drain them

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

alnilam posted:

Thinking of making this but don't currently have any jars of salsa. I do have canned diced tomatoes. Should I just use those, add a little lime juice and salt and cayenne, and call a day?

Sure that should work, but I'd add granulated garlic and granulated onion (like 1 tsp and 0.5 tsp) for a 10 oz can of tomatoes, and taste before adding to the main dish.

A little bit of cumin maybe just a dash.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/mathaiaus/status/1258255484332601344

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

alnilam posted:

BBQ Dave posted:

Sure that should work, but I'd add granulated garlic and granulated onion (like 1 tsp and 0.5 tsp) for a 10 oz can of tomatoes, and taste before adding to the main dish.

A little bit of cumin maybe just a dash.

Ended up making this with the above substitutions, also used black beans instead of kidney, also used 2.5 cups of rice instead of 3, anyway it turned out amazing it's really good and easy.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

My wife made ciabatta from the great British Baking Show cookbook. Simple recipe and easy too if you have a KitchenAid with a bread hook. We're hoping for bigger air bubbles next time, we were too rough with the dough.

This is Chef John's Cashew chicken curry, if you have cashews this is great because the recipe shows how to make nuts into a cream that can smooth and enrich gravies without dairy (also good if you run out of cans of coconut milk.

ttps://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/270885/creamy-cashew-chicken-curry/

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I made a really bad white trash recipe tonight.

1 hamburger patty chopped up (cooked up last night)
1 can of Ranch style beans drained
1/4 cup pickled Jalapeno peppers (all I had left in the fridge)
1/4 cup shredded cheese

Microwaved it until warm then added 2 types of hot sauce. It was not great but not bad.

Covid cooking is not my best cooking. I just do not want to waste food.

What is your shameful Covid Meal?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've been working on a little sour dough loaf recipe cos I figured why not

It goes as follows

Dissolve 0 - 10 grams sugar and ~ 35° 300ml water

Mix sugar water with one cup of starter in large bowl until silken

Add 250 grams of flour and mix into slop

Add 5 grams salt and further 250 grams flour

Mix until wetish dough forms and work untill fully combined and it pulls away from bowl
2-5 minutes

Pour into lined loaf tin and allow to rise to slightly above loaf tin 10-24 hours depending on sugar amount and ambient temperature

Bake at 175° for 45 minutes

Notes.

I'm well aware that this lacks a second rise

I hate the feeling of dough on my hands and the bread that this produces is adequate for my morning breakfast and coffee

Jestery fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 9, 2020

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'm very new to cooking with chickpeas and have a lazy sort of chana masala I like, but I'm looking to do some other stuff with them. Same with lentils, I've got one good lentil "soup" (I let it thicken up to more of a stew consistency because I don't actually like soup that much, lol) recipe but I'm looking for some more variety.

For context, I make one of these recipes and box it up with brown rice to have for work lunches through the week. So, something simple I can throw into the microwave to reheat.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

stinkypete posted:

I made a really bad white trash recipe tonight.

1 hamburger patty chopped up (cooked up last night)
1 can of Ranch style beans drained
1/4 cup pickled Jalapeno peppers (all I had left in the fridge)
1/4 cup shredded cheese

Microwaved it until warm then added 2 types of hot sauce. It was not great but not bad.

Covid cooking is not my best cooking. I just do not want to waste food.

Pop that all in a hollowed out pepper and stick it in the oven, then all of a sudden it's fancy!

I put coriander chutney in hummus for breakfast and ate it with wasa.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

stinkypete posted:

Peanut butter by itself straight out of the jar.

Mercury Hat posted:

So, something simple I can throw into the microwave to reheat.

I’ve not really done much with chickpeas outside of chana masala myself, but I do have a solid lentil soup (that I’ve been meaning to post here for the last month).

It’s a generally Cuban style lentil soup that I make a lot, it tends to get super thick, and it keeps and reheats extremely well:

Ingredients:

- 1 lb lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1 lb raw chorizo (hot Italian sausage works too - adding smoked paprika and cumin helps make it a bit more chorizo-like)
- 6 cups stock (plus extra)
- 1 large white/yellow/Spanish/whatever onion, diced
- 0.5 to 1 pound or so of root vegetables, such as carrots and parsnips, diced
- 2-6 garlic cloves, pressed or minced, depending on how much you like garlic
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 packet Sazón Goya con culantro y achiote (coriander and annatto) (optional but highly recommended for achieving the wonderful flavor found in Cuban abuela cooking)
- 1 bay leaf
- ~1tbsp cumin
- ~1tbsp oregano (Mexican variety preferred)
- ~2tsp coriander
- ~2tsp paprika
- ~1tsp ground ancho
- ~1tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

1. Bring stock to simmer in a large pot, then add lentils, tomato paste, and bay leaf. Simmer for a while, stirring occasionally - you want to let it simmer until it tastes like lentils and not just tomato paste.

2. Dice onion and other veggies and break sausage into bite sized pieces (remove casings if in sausage link form)

3. Brown sausage in a skillet with a bit of oil. Add to pot.

4. In the same skillet, which now contains flavorful sausage fat, add a bit more oil if needed and then sauté onion and veggies for several minutes. Add to pot.

5. Add spices and seasonings and salt and pepper, adjust to taste.

6. Stir. If too thick, add some more stock/water.

7. Cover and let simmer until veggies are soft, about 15-20 minutes, or longer.

8. Serve with crusty bread or tostones.

I’ll add that the precise seasonings and order of operations are up for interpretation. It’s extremely forgiving - I’ve done it several ways and used different ingredient combos or omitted/substituted ingredients and never hosed it up. I guess the only hard requirement really is to simmer it long enough so you don’t have chewy lentils and crunchy vegetables.

Also, on the sausage: good hot Italian is far better than lovely chorizo for this recipe (still super mad the local supermarket stopped making their good house chorizo and replaced it with pre-packaged garbage full of corn syrup that doesn’t even taste like chorizo).

And a question: what is everybody growing in their quarantine victory gardens?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Queen Victorian posted:

Pak Choi, spinach and wildflowers in two fabric pots that also had some sneaky Kentucky wonder beans deciding to sprout today, bush peas and Vine peas, yellow crookneck squash, sweet peppers, the new indeterminate Rutgers cherry tomato 'Scarlet Sunrise', determinant Rutgers Ramapo tomato, bitter gourd, sunflowers, marigolds, parsley. Basil and sunflowers later when the spinach dies. Mini japanese eggplant if I can find the space.

My houseplant garden has spider plants, snake plants, a majesty palm that hates me, a corn plant, two trays of succulents, and a wimpy poinsettia that I've kept alive since Xmas that I want to repot and see if I can't rebloom.

The squash and sweet peppers live with the houseplants right now because we're having a cold snap this year. The tomatoes will live inside an extra week as well, picking them up from Rutgers on Monday.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 8, 2020

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

Sensitive subject :( we are (still? i think?) moving across country this summer for a job, so this spring we grassed over our big veggie garden and adopted away our chickens, then this poo poo happened

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

I'm very new to cooking with chickpeas and have a lazy sort of chana masala I like, but I'm looking to do some other stuff with them. Same with lentils, I've got one good lentil "soup" (I let it thicken up to more of a stew consistency because I don't actually like soup that much, lol) recipe but I'm looking for some more variety.

I really like this kind of Caribbean-style chickpea and potato curry. I also did a variation where I swapped the chickpeas for lentils (1 1/2 cups lentils), added extra broth while also loading it up with extra vegetables (carrot, some red bell pepper) for a good hearty stew that I enjoyed with rice for several days in a row.

Queen Victorian posted:

Also, on the sausage: good hot Italian is far better than lovely chorizo for this recipe (still super mad the local supermarket stopped making their good house chorizo and replaced it with pre-packaged garbage full of corn syrup that doesn't even taste like chorizo).

Thanks for the suggestion! We got a few local places that do Italian sausage, so I am excited to give this a go next time I make my own Spanish-style lentil soup.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Here my little Victory garden

Got a bunch of herbs and spices and a but of kumera

As well as bunch of asian greens

Wombok
Kangkong
Lemongrass
Garlic
Basil's (blue and Thai)
Sambung

And I'm trying my hand at a little in ground garden with kangkong and sweet potato

And in the back I got some trellis with chokos and some type of pumpkin with Capsicum with ginger and tumeric

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Queen Victorian posted:

I garden every year, but most years I pick up at least a couple seedlings from local nurseries to either cheat (e.g. I usually get hot pepper seedlings because I have terrible luck growing them from seed myself) or to fill in for early failures. This year I'm using a lot more saved seeds from last year. Some got saved intentionally: I really liked the long bean and bitter melon cultivars I tried for the first time last year, so I saved seeds for them. And I've been propagating the same stock of potato onions for five or six years. But I also always dry the last of the pepper harvest by just pulling up the whole plant and hanging it at the end of the season, so I have a bunch of hot pepper seeds saved from last year as well.

One of the big changes is that there are always a couple of volunteers in the raised beds. Usually they get pulled up to keep poo poo organised, this year we're working around anything that shows up that we actually want to use.

Anyway, the big list so far is:

Returning perennials: rosemary, Sichuan peppercorn, figs, blackberries.

Self-sown volunteers from last year: epazote, lovage, replicator shallots, potato onions, Okinawan sweet potatoes, Malabar spinach (this stuff self-sows like an absolute motherfucker, we grow one or two vines to maturity every year and the following year there will be literally dozens of volunteers). There's also a bunch of tomatillo volunteers as well, but those are getting pulled up because a) the cultivar wasn't very good, and b) the plants got absolutely loving enormous and didn't give good yields, so gently caress that.

Maybe self-sown from last year but we'll have to wait until they're a little larger to tell: Japanese cucumber, bitter melon.

Direct sown and actually growing: sugar peas (dwarf grey sugar), Japanese bunching onions (Ishikura improved), potato onions, long beans, bitter melon, bok choy, mustard greens (komatsuna), gai lan, yu choy.

Direct sown and the jury's still out: ground cherries, Genovese basil, Thai sweet basil, holy basil.

In pots for transplantation but not transplanted yet: black krims, green Cherokees, a couple kinds of cherry tomato, Japanese eggplant, habaneros, Thai birds.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

alnilam posted:

Sensitive subject :( we are (still? i think?) moving across country this summer for a job, so this spring we grassed over our big veggie garden and adopted away our chickens, then this poo poo happened

Awwww I'm so sorry. That has to be so hard. I'm working with a temporary apartment situation, but I'm still going to miss this lovely clay soil plot when I go.

Best of wishes to your chickens.

Here's the space I'm working with

I am not allowed to remove that bush :(

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 9, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I was hoping to be in a house by now, but it looks like I'm extending my lease for another year to rebuild my downpayment. Going to be doing a few potted tomatoes and peppers next week, after the frost warning tonight is well past.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Nothing fancy, our first time doing anything with this much variety. We got the Garfunkle herbs, cilantro, chives, romaine, three different kinds of tomatoes, radishes, carrots, beets. I'm most excited about the fresh herbs, been feeling like a sucker picking up those packets of fresh herbs for four bucks or something stupid like that and not using them all. Also "volunteer mint" coming up in a bush on the other side by the bushes.

The lawn is the complex's responsibility, and they've been a little behind for the last couple of months, but I don't mind. I hope it gets long enough to crawl through Solid Snake style.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

Cheap, easy, fast! Black bean bake! :)

I made this from your recipe! Added a little too much water but that's ok.

Made some of that Chef Steps Brussel Sprout slaw to go with it.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I made this from your recipe! Added a little too much water but that's ok.

Made some of that Chef Steps Brussel Sprout slaw to go with it.

Looks good to me, saucy is good! We hope you enjoyed it. Sprouts look good, too it's this recipe, right? The one with the whole grain mustard?

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-zesty-brussels-slaw-you-can-whip-up-in-a-flash

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made Adulting Kraft. It's Kraft Mac and cheese with a ton of frozen and fresh veggies. Throw in your frozen veggies mix in the last two minutes of boiling the pasta, drain and add butter and cheese powder, add whatever extra cheese you have that needs using (Jarlsberg heels in my case), stir to incorporate, then fill the pot with fresh spinach. Turn off heat, cover pot, let spinach wilt. Serve with sesame oil and Sriracha.

I could eat the whole pot (I only had half, the other half is for tomorrow) It's so nostalgic, but also legitimately delicious and you get some veggies. Pair it with a protein and you have a drat fine dinner.

Unfortunately, my fiance HATES Kraft mac and cheese. I don't know why, the dude is a human insinkerator. I mean, yay more for me, but I can't make it for our dinners. And lunch is almost always leftovers. So it's a rare occurrence when I can cook something like this for myself.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

Looks good to me, saucy is good! We hope you enjoyed it. Sprouts look good, too it's this recipe, right? The one with the whole grain mustard?

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-zesty-brussels-slaw-you-can-whip-up-in-a-flash

That's the one. Creamy slaw of any kind can gently caress off, gimme that vinegar.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I dunno if it was here or some other thread where I mentioned that my local CSA has meat and dairy that you can add to your produce box, but their meat has been in low supply since the lockdown started. Except duck. So I've been going through a lot of duck. And so I think the defining new recipe for my quarantine so far is duck ramen.

I've been parting out the ducks fresh (instead of roasting them whole or whatever), so I end up with a `fresh' carcass that's minus the wings, legs, breast meat, and any loose flappy bits of fat and skin (which go in a separate freezer bag for later rendering/crisping/whatever). My CSA ducks come with the neck and organs, so there's another freezer bag for the organs. Maybe I'll make a forcemeat later? Anyway. For the stock I use the trimmed carcass, the wing tips and the neck.

I use a big oval roaster to roast the duck parts along with a bunch of halved shallots, all the peeled garlic from a medium-sized head, a bunch of onion greens rough chopped, around a thumb of ginger, and half an apple. Everything gets spread out so it can brown. It goes in an oven at 500 F/260 C until everything has a good amount of colour on it.

All of this then goes in the pressure cooker with around 3 litres of dashi. For the dashi it's around 15 g each of kombu and bonito flakes per litre of water, mixed together in a pot and heated to a simmer, then taken off the heat and seeped for five minutes or so, and then strain and reserve the liquid and discard the kombu and bonito.

The stock gets 45 minutes or so at high pressure in the pressure cooker, and then gets strained, cooled, and separated out into quart delitainers until I need it.

While you're at it make some tare: about 2:1 Japanese soy to mirin, add some sliced ginger, some smashed garlic, some sliced onion greens, bring to boil, reduce to simmer, simmer for a couple minutes, strain and reserve. If I'm just knocking some together for this I'll just use a couple tbsp of soy, a slice or two of ginger and a single smashed garlic clove, but you can make more and save it for later.

Then for the noodles, I've made Kenji's homemade ramen noodles, and I've also used dried soba noodles that I happened to have in the pantry. It's the apocalypse, use whatever noodles you have. If you have like angle hair or whatever, that would work fine.

Then for serving two I take one of the duck breasts (they've been coming in at around half a pound uncooked), vac seal it if I haven't already, and do that at 130 F/54 C for an hour, hour and a half (which cooks the duck breast medium-ish, so it's still loose and moist and very red...you can go up to like four hours if you like the texture firmer).

While that's going on, hard boil/soft boil/make a tea egg, or whatever to prepare the kind of egg you like in this kind of soup.

When that's almost ready, chop up some shiitakes, some onion greens (I've been using onion scapes because the garden is producing them and mmmmm onion scapes are good), and divide a head of bok choy into leaves.

Around now you want a pot of salted water going for the noodles. Throw them in whenever you need to for them to be ready when the duck breast is done searing below. Throw the bok choy in when there's only a minute, minute and a half left to blanch them.

The duck breast comes out of the puddle machine, pat dry, into a lava loving hot pan skin side down, and let that brown, brown, blacken the skin and render the fat. Probably like five minutes, depends on the duck. After a second or two, fat's going to be rendering all over the pan. Throw the shiitakes and onion greens in there so they can get nice and browed/seared while the duck's going. Pull the shiitakes and greens when they're done (I use tongs, but w/e) and then flip the duck breast for like 30 seconds on the other side.

Once the duck is done, onto the cutting board, slice it nice and thin. You want a nice thin slice of the meat, each one with a strip of the crisped-up skin on it.

Drain the noodles when they're ready, into whatever you use as a noodle bowl, duck meat gets arranged on top, shiitakes and greens on either side, egg sliced in half or whatever and added to the bowl, and the bok choy leaves in there, and then fill with the stock. Spoon some tare over the top to taste.

This has a lot of moving parts but all of them are actually dead simple and none of them require much coordination/timing/whatever until the very end, so it's actually all really easy even though it sounds fiddly as hell.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks for the post about cacio e pepe, I made some gnocchi that way and it was excellent

1lb storebought gnocchi, boiled and taken out with slotted spoon
Steal 1 cup of the pasta water out and set aside

Sautee onion and gar in cast iron pan
Add 4 T butter
Add like i guess 1 T freshly coarsely ground black pepp for 30 s or so
Add the pasta water and boil and let reduce a bit
Add the gnocchi in and return to boil
Add in like this much cheese

this is half pecorino "bosco tartufo" (truffley pecorino) and half parm reggiano, stir til melty

Throw the cast iron into a broiler til brown

Eat eat eat

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

I got celery, romaine and beets from a friend. What should I do with them

If the celery is from the garden and has the leaves still, make tabbouleh and sub those leaves for parsley.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Our neighbors gave us some apples the local school gave them, so we decided to do the food wishes apple coffee cake recipie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-owmUy7vFg

But wait! My wife is allergic to walnuts (and no other tree nuts, weird huh?)! I suggested a substitution. We give you, Apple Coffee Cake with Toasted Oats!

We just replaced the walnuts with oats toasted in a nonstick pan. My wife said to say that the original recipe would probably be better, but I don't know.

Then we gave most of the cake back to our neighbor. Don't think I'd be talking to these folks without COVID. Go figure.

Stonut
Sep 12, 2003
Cranky Nympho
Following this thread with great interest and I've made half of the recipes so thanks for that.

I had a good stock of dried beans on hand before Coronapocalypse hit the stores, but the one kind I was missing was black eyed peas. So on my last grocery run I grabbed a couple of cans of the prepared kind with jalapeno and bacon. Created a masterpiece of a meal thusly:

- Sweat some onions and garlic in olive oil
- Add a can of diced tomatoes (I used the Italian style that have garlic powder in them but I just add extra garlic anyway because garlic is wonderful)
- Add a can of prepared black eyed peas
- Simmer that for a few minutes
- Add a handful of kale
- Throw in some red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Simmer about ten minutes
- Add a splash of vinegar
- Chow

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I love all of the pictures you are sharing of your Gardens pretty neat. I made an instapot chicken soup the other night.

2 frozen chicken breasts
About half of a carton of chicken broth I had hanging out in my fridge
The last half cup of green chile I had in my fridge
Granulated garlic to taste
a little black pepper

I put it on high pressure since the chicken was frozen solid for 40 minutes with quick release. I then mashed the chicken with a potato masher to break it up. After it cooked I did add some beef broth instead of water to thin it out since that was what was in my pantry.

I then added one can of Hot Rotel, one can of crushed tomatoes, then the fresh veggies I had on hand. Half of an onion diced and 4 or 6 stalks of Celery. I wish i had some Cilantro to throw in to make it more like an Indian soup I had a year ago.

Low pressure for 10 more minutes with quick release and then it was done.

You will probably need to add some salt since I try not to cook with a lot of salt since I have a tendency to over do that.

I had a leftover bowl of it today for lunch and it was pretty dang good. For a quick dish and what I had on hand it was good. It might have been better with some bell pepper and carrots. I did like it with some hot sauce for lunch today.

Share your quick out of the blue recipes and anything I should do in the future to make this soup even better.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I had a bean fail today and want some advice. I was soaking a cup of dried borlotti beans overnight (maybe 18 hours total) and when I rinsed them I saw a bunch had split and shed their skins. When I cooked them they went to mush much more than usual.

I've used the same soaking method on the same type of beans (but these are from a new bag) a million times without fail. The only variables I can think of was that it was a new bag of beans so maybe fresher than usual and it was much colder overnight than it usually is. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening again?

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I would bet it was fresher beans. Turn that batch of them beans into a soup maybe add some bacon and simple spices to save them. Think bean and bacon soup. Try soaking for a shorter amount of time. Since I only cook my beans in my electric pressure cooker from dry i am spoiled. 40 minutes from dry to cooked in the pressure cooker is fantastic. Hope this helps.

If they are fresher beans soak for less time and skip the salt when cooking. Let me know if your next batch comes out better.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

cyberia posted:

I had a bean fail today and want some advice. I was soaking a cup of dried borlotti beans overnight (maybe 18 hours total) and when I rinsed them I saw a bunch had split and shed their skins. When I cooked them they went to mush much more than usual.

The first things I would look at are soak time and cooking method. 18 hours is a really goddamn long time to soak beans; most recipes recommend 12 maximum. Also, higher temps and more agitation (like a vigorous boil) will cause much more bean breakdown than a gentle simmer.

There are other possible causes, like the cooking water being too basic, but that’s where I’d start looking.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Dead Of Winter posted:

The first things I would look at are soak time and cooking method. 18 hours is a really goddamn long time to soak beans; most recipes recommend 12 maximum. Also, higher temps and more agitation (like a vigorous boil) will cause much more bean breakdown than a gentle simmer.

There are other possible causes, like the cooking water being too basic, but that’s where I’d start looking.

I'd like to know what more experienced dry bean cooks think about soaking vs. slow/longer cooking. I find soaking beans for 8 hours in several changes of salty water (2-3) makes the beans cook faster and me less gassy.

The basicness of the water is something I haven't heard before, If anyone has nutritional insights that would be awesome too!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BBQ Dave posted:

I'd like to know what more experienced dry bean cooks think about soaking vs. slow/longer cooking. I find soaking beans for 8 hours in several changes of salty water (2-3) makes the beans cook faster and me less gassy.

The basicness of the water is something I haven't heard before, If anyone has nutritional insights that would be awesome too!

As someone who has been doing beans for years they go dry into the slow cooker and come out ~8 hours later. Time is flexible depending on how hungry / forgetful you are. Beans in anything other than pressure cooker / slow cooker is a chumps game.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BBQ Dave posted:

Cooking the beans from dry in the cooking liquid will give a little more flavor (thus sayeth kenji). I usually soak them (and soak in salty water depending on what they'll go into) though. At least in my limited experience, cooking from dry in a pot on the stove is much more variable. Kenji says a black bean cooking time of about an hour and a half, but last I tried that was nowhere near enough. When I soak and pressure cook I get perfectly done beans every time.

I usually soak for a long time. I sort, rinse (definitely rinse your beans regardless of if you soak or not, they can be pretty dirty), then soak (optionally with ~15g/L salt) the night before, so they'll get a good 18 hours. I may have less of a problem of disintegrating beans since I typically pressure cook. The high-temp/pressure cooking time is very short, usually 3-8 minutes and I do a natural release. Usually I end up with tender beans that might be bursting a little at the hilum but are otherwise whole.

Not having a slow cooker I can't comment much on that method. I'd imagine it would remove the variability from the other angle. With slow cooking, it's usually advised to ensure that the beans reach a boil for at least some of the cooking. Beans contain Phytohaemagglutinin which can cause digestional distress, but the Phytohaemagglutinin is deactivated at high temperatures. Supposedly this is a real problem in kidney beans, which typically have a higher content of the toxin compared to other beans.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Since I use my Instapot now for Pinto's

1 pound of pintos rinsed and cleaned
1 can of Jalapenos 6 oz (this adds the salt so I don't need anything extra)
a splash of oil to keep the foam down
8 quarts of water

High pressure for 40 minutes with quick release

I then make them into refrieds or eat them plain with some fried sliced potatoes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stinkypete posted:

8 quarts of water

Uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Known in some circles as 2 gallons