Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Red Beans and Rice

1 lb kidney beans
1-2 large onions, chopped
2-3 ribs celery, chopped
1-2 bell pepper, green or red
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbls oil (butter, or coconut or peanut if vegan)

fish sauce (optional)

cumin seed, bay leaf, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, jalapeno or other hot chilis (optional)

1 cup long grain rice (jasmine is nice here)

2 cups stock (vegetable or meat based)
1 can light / non hoppy beer (cheap pilsner)

3 tbls chopped parsley
5 stalks chopped green pepper

(If using meat, you can use smoked sausage, salt pork, ham, etc. Chicken and beef aren't really all that great here but can work).

1. Soak beans in 4x volume of water overnight with 1 tbls salt added. Or, "quick soak" method, bring water and beans up to boil, boil rapidly for 5 mins, remove from heat, cover, let sit for 1h minimum. For either method strain beans, reserve.
2. Heat up oil, add onions, cook onions until browned, add fish sauce or just salt to onions while browning.
3. Add garlic, 1/2 tbls paprika, 1-2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tbls black pepper, 1 tsp cayenne stir with hot onions until fragrant.
4. Add celery and bell pepper, cook until they start to soften and brown, add chopped jalapeno / chilis with the celery if using.
5. Add beer (if using, is fine without) to deglaze, then / or add stock to deglaze.
6. Add beans, add water just enough to fully cover beans, bring to boil for 5 mins, then turn to low heat, cover and simmer.
7. After 30 mins, check water level, beans may swell and soak up water, you may need to add more. If it looks too watery, bring heat up to medium and let simmer uncovered to reduce.
8. Continue to simmer for at least 1-2h, stir occasionally. Simmer until beans are fully softened and until you can mash some against the side of the pan with a stiff spoon.
9. Mash around 1/4 of the beans and stir well, add chopped parsley.
10. Taste, add salt, cayenne etc as needed. A splash of cider or red wine vinegar can help.

If using meat, before step 2, brown meat in a large dutch oven, remove, add onions and a little more oil to deglaze fond from the browned meat. Add meat back to dish within the last 20 mins of cooking if using sausage, if using larger cuts of tougher pork you can add earlier.

Serve on rice, top with green onion and your favorite hot sauce.

E: This dish can be made completely vegan and is delicious. My favorite way to prepare it is with homemade chicken stock and using a pickled pork or smoked sausage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

I made some buffalo chickpeas! The sauce was just butter, sambal olek, garlic powder, salt, vinegar, and a pinch of brown sugar. I simmered that up, put a little corn starch slurry in to keep it from separating too bad, then tossed the cooked chickpeas in to coat and warm up. Served over spinach with blue cheese. Absolutely delicious.

Oh poo poo how have I not had this before.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

I made pesto a week or two ago with some dandelion greens that were on their last legs and it was delicious.

Yuuup. Also don't hesitate to toast up any kind of nuts or throw a couple olives in there etc. We've been making pesto a couple times this month from greens on their way out.

Ours the other night was toasted pecans, olive oil, mustard greens, arugula and a little bit of parmesan. Came out awesome.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gimme your best pinto beans recipes, preferably Mexican, preferably not charro.

I've made tons of beans but never cooked pintos before.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SubG posted:

Refried beans too obvious?

That was gonna be my default if nothing else looked interesting.

Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ok maybe charro

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stinkypete posted:

8 quarts of water

Uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

alnilam posted:

Known in some circles as 2 gallons

Right but iirc the instant pot largest size is only 8 quarts total.

You also don't want to overfill a pressure cooker of beans or other starches that can foam up. I am assuming they meant 8 cups since that's a reasonable number for 1lb of beans anyway.