Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

PT6A posted:

I'm going to try making misr wot, but I only have green lentils instead of red lentils, how big of a heresy is this?

I've done it, it was okay. Has to cook for a good bit longer, make sure to top it off with water plenty often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:hellyeah: for solid meals

I'm soaking a pound of black beans. I usually kinda improvise with some cumin and stuff and get something pretty tasty but I have never really captured the flavor of Cuban style black beans and rice. Anyone have a solid recipe, one without meat?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ughhhh posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for sourdough with proper preparation for starter? The recipe I'm using has too much hydration and mine came out less than ideal.

Here's the recipe i make the most, which i happen to have recently typed up in a very :effort: manner for another friend and in the spirit of :effort: i will copy and paste it here

All in a big bowl
150 g starter +/- 50 - amount is pretty flexible
700 g warm water
750-800 g white AP flour
200-250 g whole wheat flour (make the total amt 1 kg flour)
Mix up into a shaggy mess with hands, let sit 15 min
20 g sea salt
Another 50 g water to help dissolve the salt
Mix up / pinch / fold more with your hands

Then fold it like an envelope 1 2 3 4 and flip over every 15-30 minutes, something like 4-8 times, just do this all in the evening while chillin watching the flix or whatev. Cover with wet cloth or tie whole bowl into a plastic bag in between

Let rise overnight with the wet towel or bag

Next morning before work divide the dough in twæn, shape two round loaves
Put in proofing containers, which at simplest can be cuts of densely woven cloth in a bowl covered with lots of flour. Cover these as well and let rise in fridge for 8-12 hours. Or at room temp for 3ish hrs but i recommend the fridge. Using the fridge here makes it easier to hit the ideal window for baking. If you do room temp the window is narrower and harder to catch.

Then after work bake at 475 F for 20 min in steam, 15 min without
"With steam" can mean with a metal bowl/pot of water in the oven. It can also mean covered if you have the right kind of vessel, like two cast iron pans in a clamshell formation, or a duck oven

If you have a coverable vessel the idea is you preheat it with the oven and uncover the bread after 20 min, finish for the last 12-15 min uncovered

The bread is really done when it's starting to blacken a little. Knock on it and if it sounds holler it's done inside

If no vessel use a baking stone if you have one. If no baking stone use a cookie sheet. I never use loaf pans

alnilam fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 4, 2020

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I keep a lot of cannellini beans for doing pasta sauce but we decided to try something new and made fasoulia, :drat: it was loving good, highly recommend

The recipe we used, loosely adapted from a few sources based on what we had bc of the coronapocalypse, was:

2 med onions
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pep
½ tsp cinn
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp coriander

1 14ozcan diced fire roasted tomatoes
2 cans worth, or 2/3 lb dry then cooked, cannellini beans

1 cup water

2-3 Tbsp lemon juice

Carmelize onion with all spices on low-med heat in a thick bottom, perhaps even cast iron, pot (20ish min)

Add beans, tomato, water, bring to boil, simmer 10 min

Add lemon juice just before serving, garnishing with fresh cilantro or flat parsley would be good if you have it (we didn't)

Serve with bread

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Inceltown posted:

bean Bean BeaN BEAN

*more people come out into the hallway joining the chant* bean! Bean! beaN!

*chant grows deafeningly loud as people spill out into the streets* BEAN! BEAN! BEAN!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

angerbeet posted:

If you're tired of pesto, making it with a different green can be quite nice. Arugula pesto is really nice and something of a change.

Garlic mustard is super invasive in much of the US, you're doing the environment a favor if you pull as much as you can from wild forests, AND it makes a decent pesto.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BBQ Dave posted:

Chef John from foodwishes posted a simplified Red Beans and Rice. It's one dish in the oven, great for less experienced cooks.

"Due to certain worldwide events, I've been getting lots of requests for easy, hearty recipes that can be made using basic dry and canned goods. This incredibly delicious Spanish-style baked rice and beans is all that and more. You'll also see a fantastic, foolproof way of making perfect rice, every time. Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, and chopped cilantro, if you like."

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/279361/the-best-baked-rice-and-beans/

Thinking of making this but don't currently have any jars of salsa. I do have canned diced tomatoes. Should I just use those, add a little lime juice and salt and cayenne, and call a day?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Re: Fasoulia

Drain the cannellini beans or no?

Yeah drain them

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

alnilam posted:

Thinking of making this but don't currently have any jars of salsa. I do have canned diced tomatoes. Should I just use those, add a little lime juice and salt and cayenne, and call a day?

BBQ Dave posted:

Sure that should work, but I'd add granulated garlic and granulated onion (like 1 tsp and 0.5 tsp) for a 10 oz can of tomatoes, and taste before adding to the main dish.

A little bit of cumin maybe just a dash.

Ended up making this with the above substitutions, also used black beans instead of kidney, also used 2.5 cups of rice instead of 3, anyway it turned out amazing it's really good and easy.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

And a question: what is everybody growing in their quarantine victory gardens?

Sensitive subject :( we are (still? i think?) moving across country this summer for a job, so this spring we grassed over our big veggie garden and adopted away our chickens, then this poo poo happened

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks for the post about cacio e pepe, I made some gnocchi that way and it was excellent

1lb storebought gnocchi, boiled and taken out with slotted spoon
Steal 1 cup of the pasta water out and set aside

Sautee onion and gar in cast iron pan
Add 4 T butter
Add like i guess 1 T freshly coarsely ground black pepp for 30 s or so
Add the pasta water and boil and let reduce a bit
Add the gnocchi in and return to boil
Add in like this much cheese

this is half pecorino "bosco tartufo" (truffley pecorino) and half parm reggiano, stir til melty

Throw the cast iron into a broiler til brown

Eat eat eat

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Known in some circles as 2 gallons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Premade fake meats are also why normies always think it's expensive to go vegetarian. They assume that instead of buying meat you buy fake meat, and don't imagine that perhaps you buy none at all.