Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Maybe not beans, but not a bad quarantine recipe - made chicken and sausage gumbo with okra for Easter dinner. Recipe is straight-forward gumbo recipe. Currently closest to a cook's illustrated recipe at this point, though with okra and a bit more spice, since I'm trying a dry (oven-toasted) roux instead of the classic wet roux.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup white flour
  • Trinity veg (1 onion, 2 celery stalks, 1 green or yellow pepper, diced)
  • Frozen okra (10-16 oz), thawed
  • 4 cloves of garlic, diced
  • 1 tsp each cayenne pepper, paprika, and dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4-5 cups chicken stock
  • 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1/2-3/4 lb andouille sausage, halved and sliced into small pieces
  • 6 scallions
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar
  1. In an oven at 400 degrees, toast 1 cup of white flour in a large 12 inch skillet, 20-40 minutes stirring and breaking up clumps often (e.g. every 5 minutes max after the first 10). The toasted flour should be somewhere between the color of peanut butter and ground cinnamon, not darker. Note that the flour will darken significantly when mixed with a liquid, and if you judge the color you want based on past experience with the color of wet roux, you will burn it. When it's done, remove it to a bowl to cool.
  2. In a large dutch oven while the flour toasts, heat 1 tbsp of veg. oil over medium heat and trinity + okra for about 10 minutes. Vegetables should soften okra mostly lose its sliminess in this process. Add in garlic and spices, cook for 1-2 more minutes until fragrant.
  3. Stir in 2-2.5 cups of chicken broth and add chicken thighs. Cover and simmer until chicken is done, about 15 minutes.
  4. While the chicken simmers, finish the roux: slowly whisk the other 2-2.5 cups of chicken stock into the toasted flour to form a dark, smooth paste.
  5. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside on a plate. When cool enough to handle, cut into small pieces.
  6. While chicken cools, slowly whisk in the flour paste, then add the sausage to the pot. Simmer uncovered until slightly thickened, 20-30 minutes, , returning the cut chicken pieces to the pot once they've been cut up, probably about halfway through, to heat through and continue simmering.
  7. Add 1 tbsp of white vinegar and chopped scallions, remove bay leaves, and adjust seasoning to taste with cayenne and salt.

Serve hot over white rice.

I have a pressure cooker black beans recipe I make occasionally I may break out later this week. If I do, I'll try to remember to post it here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Borachon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU