Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I work with older folks who travel a lot, and I've tried to be ready for quarantining myself and my wife if I get stuck in the house for two weeks to a month. I'd like recipe suggestions based upon what I have in the house! Lots of dried beans! Please post your bean recipes or anything that you think might be useful!

here is what we've stocked up on so far, pantry and freezer are full. I can get more things, neither of us are sick yet. Lots of TP and paper towels.
Frozen Chicken
Frozen Ground Beef
Assorted frozen pork (bacon and sausages)
frozen fruit
lots of onions and garlic
canned tomatoes/tomato paste
caned beans
dried lentils
dried black beans
dried kidney beans
frozen veggies (peas and carrots)
Frozen fruit for smoothies
Cornbread mix
corn tortillas
Pasta
Bisquick
lots of rice
Lots of spices
Lots of better than bullion
Powdered milk

Is anything missing? We just need recipes to keep things interesting after we have BEAN confined to our home. Any other suggestions would be welcome thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Thanks for the recipe, Bucket! Love, Peace and Chickpeas!

We have a bag of flour, six yeast packets and most of a big block of Tillamook sharp cheddar. Gotta get more of all of that and some more garam masala....

Anyhoo this is what I made last night from this recipe: https://damndelicious.net/2019/04/15/red-beans-and-rice/ (deviations widespread)

My wife hates bell peppers so I switched the traditional cajun holy trinity (Onion/Celery/Bell Pepper) with the french one (Onion/ Celery/Carrot). This works great with the carrot providing sweetness that can be bumped up with the spices in your cabinet. Most folks will want to use peppers instead.

This is for a household of two adults (with leftovers):

- make rice!

- Soak a half-pound of kidney beans overnight. I changed the water three times and noticed much less farting on my part
- Dice up a sausage from the freezer, brown it well in a large pot you have a lid for and set aside keeping those sweet, sweet meat juices in the pot.
- Sautee onion, celery, and carrot until soft. I like to put the onion in a little earlier.
- add garlic and a squirt of tomato paste, brown for a bit, along with the veggies. Add spices. I used chili powder, paprika, and a little cayenne.
- dump in drained beans, browned sausage, 3 cups of chicken stock (made from bullion)
- simmer and cook on low, covered for 15 min then uncovered for 15 minutes
- I used my stick blender to make it a little creamier, don't go nuts with it too much or you lose interesting textures.

It looked like this (pickled jalapenos for me, we also had leftover cornbread)

And all importantly, lots of leftovers!

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

:siren: I HAVE A PROJECT FOR ALL OF YOU :siren:

Doubtless, a bunch of your Facebook friends bought a bunch of food and don’t know poo poo about cooking. They might screw up a lot of dishes or maybe get paralyzed with the fear of not knowing wtf to do with the food they bought and let it rot.

PUT A CALL OUT ON FACEBOOK for anyone who has cooking questions and offer to give them cooking guidance!

This is not the time to get angry about chicken cheese type of poo poo there is going to be plenty of chicken cheese Easy-Bake-Oven type poo poo out there! Do not turn up your noses! Help your friends learn basics, explain like they’re five!

(It’s entirely possible nobody will bite)

Sorry, I closed my facebook account a couple of months ago. Everyone I don't text regularly is now dead to me and I've never been happier.

Steve Yun posted:

What can you do with these besides a stir fry

Make instant ramen slightly nutritious!

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

My wife made quinoa white bean soup today! Real simple lots of leftovers!

Just sautee carrots celery onion, then add chicken stock, canned tomatoes canned beans, quinoa and herbs. Boil then simmer 20 min S&P to taste!

She made a big batch of bolognese last night and I froze the leftovers into two-person serving packets. If you lay the plastic bags flat in the freezer they're easy to store after they freeze.

Never made a post that had a second page :woop:

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

SubG posted:

Eggs unless you've got something against eggs. The best by date is suuuuuper conservative, so if you go through eggs anyway don't sweat picking up more than you think you need immediately.

Cheese unless you've got something against cheese. Locally cheese got bought out of the chain supermarkets, but my local wholesale/food service supply place still had plenty.

Other dairy unless you've got something against dairy. Remember that you can freeze most dairy if you have to.

Those are fairly durable proteins if you get sick of eating beans.

Of course there are animal proteins if you can get them and you eat animal protein. Remember that you can freeze what you're not going to consume immediately. Pick up freezer storage bags and/or wax paper/parchment for storage if you aren't already set up for freezing poo poo. And again, locally at least the chain supermarkets have been bought out when I've checked in the past week or so, but the local Korean market and food service place have been at normal stock levels.

Also if you haven't I'd check my levels of other stuff: salt, sugar, butter, cooking oils, and so on.

And I don't think I ever leave a grocery store, in a time of crisis or otherwise, without picking up some garlic, onion, and whatever other common cooking veg might happen to be in season (basil unless my garden is producing, some green beans or broccoli or whatever, and so on). And about half the time I end up picking up a jar of sambal or oyster sauce or whatever because I always have a jar of something that's almost empty and I can never remember what it is and always guess wrong. The punchline here being remember the things you need for cooking that aren't the main protein or whatever.

Onions and garlic!!!

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Chef John from foodwishes posted a simplified Red Beans and Rice. It's one dish in the oven, great for less experienced cooks.

"Due to certain worldwide events, I've been getting lots of requests for easy, hearty recipes that can be made using basic dry and canned goods. This incredibly delicious Spanish-style baked rice and beans is all that and more. You'll also see a fantastic, foolproof way of making perfect rice, every time. Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, and chopped cilantro, if you like."

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/279361/the-best-baked-rice-and-beans/

A couple of my neighbors are in their late fifties (wife just corrected me seventies) and don't have a car so I drove to get them some stuff from trader Joes, which is on the other side of the next city. They gave me a $20 but I got em about forty dollars worth, I don't think they're well off.

I kept thinking about that Death Stranding game that came out a couple of months ago. I get a text message on my wristwatch that someone all bunkered up needs supplies, head out, bring it back, wipe it down with alcohol, and enjoy the friendly waves from the window. Then hustled by the wife into my decontamination shower but no after shower beer. :(

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 25, 2020

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Inceltown posted:

Either the search function is broken or no one has bothered to mention congee. Nothing is simpler to make.

Get a cup of rice and 2 litres of what ever stock you have. Chop up a bit of ginger. Put that in a slow cooker on low and leave overnight. You now have delicious congee.

Want to make it fancy? Put some chicken thighs in there bone and all.

Don't eat meat but still feel fancy? Add some corn to it about half an hour before you want to eat it. Go hog wild and garnish it with some spring onion and a drizzle of soy sauce.

Don't have corn or chicken? Who cares just chuck it in it will probably be good. I'm not your mother telling you what you can and can't do.

We jook! A great suggestion I forgot to mention it here. It's great (especially when sick) I first learned about it here a few years ago when the "help I'm poor and want to make good food" thread got weird:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692030&userid=38969

We do the soft boiled egg, green onion, and crispy flour - fried shallots ... but you can throw whatever you want in it. And on it! Soy sauce is fine but I've used hot sauce and worchestershire too.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

ughhhh posted:

I hope people are saving the peels and scraps of veggies gen they cook. You can make great stock with all the carro/potato peels and ends of garlic and other veggies. Just make sure you don't put citrus or seeds(such as seeds from peppers). Less than ideal to put it in the freezer but it's fine to do so.

I made 3 quarts of veggie stock that I am now using for everything from 1 week of veggie scraps.

You know it!

We started the bag a couple of weeks ago, and we should have some chicken parts tonight. I heard potato peels make it cloudy, but onion skins make it richly colored. Also green beans make it bitter? Im excited haven't made stock in years. Beef stock made from roasted bones was my secret weapon back when I did competition chili (nothing big just a small town thing but I did it several years in a row).

There's some great stuff in that budget bytes guide about freezing your onion, garlic, and peppers that I wanna try thanks for posting it.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

Your cast iron can have a little bacon...as a treat

haha this made my wife laugh.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Hi everybody hope you and yours are well! Without further ado

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

:zoid: a feast fit for a king :zoid:

This recipe is from my wife's NYT cooking app her friend bought her. She only cooks the well-reviewed ones and it's still hit and miss, but this one is a hit!

Knob of butter
1.5 cup diced carrots
1.5 cup shallots (onion oughta work)
8 oz sliced mushrooms (we used crimini)
5 thyme sprigs
3 minced garlic cloves
1 cup red wine
2 tsp tomato paste (wife used 2 tbsp came out great)
2 16 oz cans of cannellini beans
2 cup low sodium veg broth (ours was homemade from scraps, see post above!)
1 tbsp cognac or brandy
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (from our new but humble garden)
1 tsp balsamic

Melt butter, cook onion and carrot with S&P cook until begin to soften 5 min
Add mushrooms 7min
Add thyme sprigs and garlic 30 sec
Add wine and tomato paste until wine is mostly cooked down
Add beans, broth, cognac, salt and pepper.
simmer 25 min
remove from heat, remove sprigs, stir in balsamic, garnish with parsley!

I believe canned mushrooms and great northern beans would be fine substitutes.
edit: Now that I think about it I bay leaf this recipe would benefit from a bay leaf.

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 16, 2020

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

bartlebee posted:

It kinda sucks it took a pandemic to get the general populace buying beans but my god I hope people enjoy them.

Word.

bartlebee posted:

My partner just made coconut curry paste chickpeas with broccoli and bell peppers with rice and it was delicious.

You should take a picture and post the recipe next time bartlebee. Unless of course, you'd "prefer not to" :haw:

Black Bean Soup
New York times food app strikes again. This one was okay.... we'll go over potential improvements.

1 tsp pureed chipotle adobo (we froze some in ice cube trays the last time we opened a 7 oz can)
2 tsp evo
2 carrots peeled and chopped
2 onions peeled and chopped (went with shallots because that was what we had, fine mince cuz that how my lady likes em. She did everything else (except the tortila strips))
4 minced garlic cloves
1cup red wine
2 jalapenos seeded and chopped
1 lb dry black beans (recipe advises "do not soak" ... this is where it went off the rails for me)
2 quarts veggie or chicken stock (we used the stock we made from vegetable scraps pictured earlier in the thread)

oregano
bay leaves
red wine vinegar to taste (we went with balsamic because that was what we had)

sautee garlic, onion, and carrot in the evo, 5-10 min (recipe did not say when to add)

Add the wine and cook down, then add jalapenos and cook for a couple of minutes, then make a hole in the middle of the veggies and fry the chipotle a couple of minutes before mixing together. Add beans, stock, bay leaves, and oregano. Boil for 15 then leave the lid cracked open and simmer for 1 to 2 hours. It took longer than 2 hours and instead of soupy it was just kinda... stewy. My wife hit it with the stick blender just a bit.

Got bored and hungry during that time so I defrosted some corn tortillas (never freezing corn tortillas again.. failed experiment. Steam seems to be the best way to bring them back to life), sliced em up, mixed with seasoned veggie oil and baked them in the oven 10 min 375 I think. Made up for the dearth of toppings this dish was screaming for (all we had was cotija)

Oh and I farted all morning and day after. Not angry or stinky farts just a merry little staccato all day long. This is why we will be soaking the beans and changing the water a couple of times next time. And there will be a next time there's a good flavor here. Besides soaking the beans if I get a whack at this one I'll add more stock, puree smooth, lots of toppings... toasted chickpeas, homemade sour cream (looked it up, fun and easy), pickled onions, breaded and fried jalapeno slices, avocado, a spoiler, spinning rims etc

And there were leftovers tonight so I'm on the road again! There was some leftover pork loin and mango salsa at work with brown rice. Thanks for reading everyone! Keep the recipes coming even the beanless ones.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

What time is it? It's pretzely sausage roll time! I thought we were going to use the frozen sausage in stews and beans but instead, my wife did this recipe from the great British bake off book. We don't eat a lot of bread so it's kind of a special treat and I'm glad I stocked up on flour and yeast (thanks to early advice in this thread thanks again!)

No beans here, but she's making a stew thing tonight that is one of the best kale delivery systems I've ever so stay tuned for that.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

stinkypete posted:

Those are some very fancy Pigs in a Blanket. I wish I could try them. Good Job! I want to hear about this Kale delivery device.

I'll pass the compliment on. I can't really bake, that's my wife's jam. We had a crappy day, which happens, so we just split a can of chicken soup for dinner and put it off a day. Here's the recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019772-spiced-chickpea-stew-with-coconut-and-turmeric

Pics tomorrow hopefully. Stay safe everyone!

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Really tasty! I made garlic naan in the cast iron using the recipe from food wishes, we snacked about a third of it waiting for the stew to finish.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

stinkypete posted:

I love homemade naan yum. I make mine on a cast-iron skillet. How about you?

Yep, smokin' hot cast iron. Super easy check it out:

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/02/garlic-naan-now-100-tandoor-free.html

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Cheap, easy, fast! Black bean bake! :)

1 tbsp oil
1 small onion minced
5 garlic cloves minced
.25 cup tomato paste
1 tsp cumin or less
.25 tsp red pepper flakes
1.5 tsp smoked paprika
2 14 oz cans black beans rinsed and drained
.5 cup boiling water
1.5 cup grated sharp cheddar
S&P
tortilla chips

- Preheat oven to 475

- Saute onion in cast iron pan until translucent and barely brown around edges

- Add garlic cook until fragrant

- add tomato paste and spices until dark 2 min at most

- add water and beans

- add S&P

- spread cheese on top

- put in the oven for 10 minutes.

- top with crumbled cotija and whatever other toppings you have on hand like salsa, leftover meats, diced avocado

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Chard posted:

roast and chill the beets then slice them over a romaine and shredded celery salad.

:hmmyes:

Got asparagus?

https://www.mydeliciousblog.com/golden-beets-with-romaine-celery-leaves/

beets roasted > beets steamed

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 6, 2020

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

alnilam posted:

Thinking of making this but don't currently have any jars of salsa. I do have canned diced tomatoes. Should I just use those, add a little lime juice and salt and cayenne, and call a day?

Sure that should work, but I'd add granulated garlic and granulated onion (like 1 tsp and 0.5 tsp) for a 10 oz can of tomatoes, and taste before adding to the main dish.

A little bit of cumin maybe just a dash.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

My wife made ciabatta from the great British Baking Show cookbook. Simple recipe and easy too if you have a KitchenAid with a bread hook. We're hoping for bigger air bubbles next time, we were too rough with the dough.

This is Chef John's Cashew chicken curry, if you have cashews this is great because the recipe shows how to make nuts into a cream that can smooth and enrich gravies without dairy (also good if you run out of cans of coconut milk.

ttps://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/270885/creamy-cashew-chicken-curry/

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Nothing fancy, our first time doing anything with this much variety. We got the Garfunkle herbs, cilantro, chives, romaine, three different kinds of tomatoes, radishes, carrots, beets. I'm most excited about the fresh herbs, been feeling like a sucker picking up those packets of fresh herbs for four bucks or something stupid like that and not using them all. Also "volunteer mint" coming up in a bush on the other side by the bushes.

The lawn is the complex's responsibility, and they've been a little behind for the last couple of months, but I don't mind. I hope it gets long enough to crawl through Solid Snake style.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I made this from your recipe! Added a little too much water but that's ok.

Made some of that Chef Steps Brussel Sprout slaw to go with it.

Looks good to me, saucy is good! We hope you enjoyed it. Sprouts look good, too it's this recipe, right? The one with the whole grain mustard?

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-zesty-brussels-slaw-you-can-whip-up-in-a-flash

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Our neighbors gave us some apples the local school gave them, so we decided to do the food wishes apple coffee cake recipie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-owmUy7vFg

But wait! My wife is allergic to walnuts (and no other tree nuts, weird huh?)! I suggested a substitution. We give you, Apple Coffee Cake with Toasted Oats!

We just replaced the walnuts with oats toasted in a nonstick pan. My wife said to say that the original recipe would probably be better, but I don't know.

Then we gave most of the cake back to our neighbor. Don't think I'd be talking to these folks without COVID. Go figure.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Dead Of Winter posted:

The first things I would look at are soak time and cooking method. 18 hours is a really goddamn long time to soak beans; most recipes recommend 12 maximum. Also, higher temps and more agitation (like a vigorous boil) will cause much more bean breakdown than a gentle simmer.

There are other possible causes, like the cooking water being too basic, but that’s where I’d start looking.

I'd like to know what more experienced dry bean cooks think about soaking vs. slow/longer cooking. I find soaking beans for 8 hours in several changes of salty water (2-3) makes the beans cook faster and me less gassy.

The basicness of the water is something I haven't heard before, If anyone has nutritional insights that would be awesome too!

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Hey all been away for a bit. Still well, and hope you all are too.

My wife made minestrone and if you haven't tried it with dumplings instead of pasta you are missing out (especially if you use veggie stock made from your scraps and herb from your garden).

I made some disappointing devils on horseback. I really cooked em to get the bacon crispy and the blue cheese cooked away! The flavor of the blue cheese was still there but not creamy. I suspect that I should have used a harder blue cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Got kinda quiet in here, here are some ideas for leftovers!

Leftover rice? Just add kimchi, fry it up and pop an egg on it (fried or poached are my favorite)

Leftover bananas? Make banana bread! My wife made this and took the whole thing to a local business to thank them for performing COVID protection procedures well beyond the state requirements. Gotta reward those folks since they have to put up with idiots screaming at them.

Leftover Risotto? Pack it into discs, 3 step frying method (seasoned flour, beaten egg with a little water, and panko), cook em golden brown in some canola oil then dust with smoked paprika and serve with lemon wedges.

We everyone is ok!