Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

alnilam posted:

:hellyeah: for solid meals

I'm soaking a pound of black beans. I usually kinda improvise with some cumin and stuff and get something pretty tasty but I have never really captured the flavor of Cuban style black beans and rice. Anyone have a solid recipe, one without meat?

According to the passed down recipes of my Cuban in-laws, the two secret ingredients are Spanish dried chorizo and a packet of Sazón Goya (aka MSG + spices). Just the Sazón Goya will be fine - we’ve made black beans a bunch while out of chorizo.

Otherwise, our list of spices and seasonings to go in the beans is:
- Bay leaf
- Oregano (Mexican variety preferred, but totally not a big deal if you can’t get it)
- Cumin
- Coriander
- Goya brand Adobo
- Salt and pepper

Seriously, Sazón Goya is the secret to many a family recipe and is often the one thing you need to take your Cuban family recipe cooking to the next level.

Lemme figure out the whole thing in writing and I’ll come back. It might not be completely accurate because the beans are mostly my husband’s wheelhouse. I’ll also post my Cuban lentil soup recipe (which I really need to commit to writing). I am good at cooking but hilariously bad at recipes (both following them and remembering ones I make up that turn out well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

stinkypete posted:

What is your shameful Covid Meal?

Peanut butter by itself straight out of the jar.

Mercury Hat posted:

So, something simple I can throw into the microwave to reheat.

I’ve not really done much with chickpeas outside of chana masala myself, but I do have a solid lentil soup (that I’ve been meaning to post here for the last month).

It’s a generally Cuban style lentil soup that I make a lot, it tends to get super thick, and it keeps and reheats extremely well:

Ingredients:

- 1 lb lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1 lb raw chorizo (hot Italian sausage works too - adding smoked paprika and cumin helps make it a bit more chorizo-like)
- 6 cups stock (plus extra)
- 1 large white/yellow/Spanish/whatever onion, diced
- 0.5 to 1 pound or so of root vegetables, such as carrots and parsnips, diced
- 2-6 garlic cloves, pressed or minced, depending on how much you like garlic
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 packet Sazón Goya con culantro y achiote (coriander and annatto) (optional but highly recommended for achieving the wonderful flavor found in Cuban abuela cooking)
- 1 bay leaf
- ~1tbsp cumin
- ~1tbsp oregano (Mexican variety preferred)
- ~2tsp coriander
- ~2tsp paprika
- ~1tsp ground ancho
- ~1tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

1. Bring stock to simmer in a large pot, then add lentils, tomato paste, and bay leaf. Simmer for a while, stirring occasionally - you want to let it simmer until it tastes like lentils and not just tomato paste.

2. Dice onion and other veggies and break sausage into bite sized pieces (remove casings if in sausage link form)

3. Brown sausage in a skillet with a bit of oil. Add to pot.

4. In the same skillet, which now contains flavorful sausage fat, add a bit more oil if needed and then sauté onion and veggies for several minutes. Add to pot.

5. Add spices and seasonings and salt and pepper, adjust to taste.

6. Stir. If too thick, add some more stock/water.

7. Cover and let simmer until veggies are soft, about 15-20 minutes, or longer.

8. Serve with crusty bread or tostones.

I’ll add that the precise seasonings and order of operations are up for interpretation. It’s extremely forgiving - I’ve done it several ways and used different ingredient combos or omitted/substituted ingredients and never hosed it up. I guess the only hard requirement really is to simmer it long enough so you don’t have chewy lentils and crunchy vegetables.

Also, on the sausage: good hot Italian is far better than lovely chorizo for this recipe (still super mad the local supermarket stopped making their good house chorizo and replaced it with pre-packaged garbage full of corn syrup that doesn’t even taste like chorizo).

And a question: what is everybody growing in their quarantine victory gardens?