Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

cyberia posted:

I had a bean fail today and want some advice. I was soaking a cup of dried borlotti beans overnight (maybe 18 hours total) and when I rinsed them I saw a bunch had split and shed their skins. When I cooked them they went to mush much more than usual.

The first things I would look at are soak time and cooking method. 18 hours is a really goddamn long time to soak beans; most recipes recommend 12 maximum. Also, higher temps and more agitation (like a vigorous boil) will cause much more bean breakdown than a gentle simmer.

There are other possible causes, like the cooking water being too basic, but that’s where I’d start looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU