Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Grab a few lbs of flour and a bag of yeast and use the time to perfect your daily bread recipe. For bonus points, make your own butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

longtimelurker posted:

I am hunting for a good black bean recipe that an ametuer could handle. The ones that I found also called for ingredients that didn't seem apocalypse worthy.

I have the beans and some basic spices. I have already made 2 good batches of 5 bean soup. I learned that rinsing beans is more than just washing them off but soaking them for a long time as well. There seemed to be a cheating method to hydrate them, but the internet consensus seemed to say that soaking them is the best way.

I like cuban-style black beans.

1 1/2 green bell peppers, stemmed and seeded
10 cloves garlic
1lb black beans, rinsed (not soaked) and picked over for stones
1 smoked ham hock (or ~8oz frozen ham) & ~4 slices thick bacon cut into 1/2" pieces.
2 bay leaves
5tsp salt +/- to taste
1/4c oil
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno, stemmed and chopped fine
1tsp dried oregano
1/2tsp ground cumin
1/2tsp ground black pepper
3tbsp white vinegar
1tbsp brown sugar

Cut the green pepper into 1" squares, smash and peel 4 cloves garlic. Both in a large pot with the beans, the ham hock or ham, bay leaves, and 1tbsp salt. Add 2qt water, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for an hour until tender.

Make sofrito: Dice remaining half a pepper fine, peel and chop remaining garlic. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until it starts to brown, then add the green pepper and onion. Cook until onions start to soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno, oregano, cumin, black pepper, and 2tsp salt, stir for another minute or so. Add vinegar and remove from heat, stirring to get any browned bits off of bottom of pan.

When the beans are done, pitch the bay leaf. Remove the ham hock and let cool (if you just used ham, leave that in). Pull out 1c beans and mash them to paste before returning to the pot. Add sofrito, then sugar. If you used a ham hock, strip it of meat, chop that, and return it to the pot as well.

Stir, then bring back to a boil over medium heat before lowering to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes, skimming any foam. Taste and salt as needed. Serve with rice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Meat and produce were fine here, but zero starches and not a loaf of bread to be found in town. So I'm falling back on old skills.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

My bread is swollen and fat

As is mine!

Edit: Done!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 19, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bartlebee posted:

It kinda sucks it took a pandemic to get the general populace buying beans but my god I hope people enjoy them. That rancho Gordo brand was seling insane amounts of beans because of this debacle. On the pulse side of things I'm so glad I finally developed a taste for chickpeas and can't get enough. My partner just made coconut curry paste chickpeas with brocolli and bell peppers with rice and it was delicous. Have also developed a love of channa masala from our local Indian restaurant - they told us they're actually doing pretty well with just takeout sales here in Los Angeles - and I'm torn between learning how to cook it and just ordering it from them to support the business.

I am an unstoppable curried chickpea fiend. They are vastly better once you start cooking from dried instead of canned too, although I cheat and do them in my instant pot. Chana masala with some spinach wilted in is my jam.

1.5c dry chickpeas, 3T oil/butter/ghee, a chopped medium onion, a few cloves of garlic (2T), an inch or so of minced ginger, couple minced green chilis (I use serannos since that's what I can get), 1.5c diced tomato (canned is fine), and a couple good handfuls of spinach. Tsp of salt, tsp tumeric, 2 bay leaves, tsp chili powder, tsp cumin seed, 2 cardamom pods, tsp garam masala, tbsp of dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). 2c water or stock.

Soak the beans (or don't, but the tomatoes will overcook). Heat the oil, toast the cumin, bay, and coriander. Once they're sputtering add the onion and sautee until softend. Add tomato, garlic, ginger, chilis, salt, tumeric, and chili powder. Sautee ~5m until the tomatoes start to break down. Add the beans, 2c liquid, set to manual pressure and run 30m. 10m natural release. Kick back on to sautee, stir in garam masala, kasuri methi, and spinach. Simmer for a few minutes until spinach wilts, cutting with water/stock if it seems too thick.

If you want to pad it out more, throw in a couple potatoes with the chickpeas, 1" cubed.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I was hoping to be in a house by now, but it looks like I'm extending my lease for another year to rebuild my downpayment. Going to be doing a few potted tomatoes and peppers next week, after the frost warning tonight is well past.