Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BBQ Dave posted:

I'd like to know what more experienced dry bean cooks think about soaking vs. slow/longer cooking. I find soaking beans for 8 hours in several changes of salty water (2-3) makes the beans cook faster and me less gassy.

The basicness of the water is something I haven't heard before, If anyone has nutritional insights that would be awesome too!

Cooking the beans from dry in the cooking liquid will give a little more flavor (thus sayeth kenji). I usually soak them (and soak in salty water depending on what they'll go into) though. At least in my limited experience, cooking from dry in a pot on the stove is much more variable. Kenji says a black bean cooking time of about an hour and a half, but last I tried that was nowhere near enough. When I soak and pressure cook I get perfectly done beans every time.

I usually soak for a long time. I sort, rinse (definitely rinse your beans regardless of if you soak or not, they can be pretty dirty), then soak (optionally with ~15g/L salt) the night before, so they'll get a good 18 hours. I may have less of a problem of disintegrating beans since I typically pressure cook. The high-temp/pressure cooking time is very short, usually 3-8 minutes and I do a natural release. Usually I end up with tender beans that might be bursting a little at the hilum but are otherwise whole.

Not having a slow cooker I can't comment much on that method. I'd imagine it would remove the variability from the other angle. With slow cooking, it's usually advised to ensure that the beans reach a boil for at least some of the cooking. Beans contain Phytohaemagglutinin which can cause digestional distress, but the Phytohaemagglutinin is deactivated at high temperatures. Supposedly this is a real problem in kidney beans, which typically have a higher content of the toxin compared to other beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Usually what I do is cook large batches of things and reheat them over the week for dinner. Something like chana masala or black bean soup or refried beans reheat very well so you can do that, plus some rice or noodles or whatever and some veggies maybe.

The difficulty will be sourcing a recipe and ingredients. If you use canned beans the cooking will probably be pretty easy. Something like a middle east or an Indian grocery (are those common in the Netherlands?) would be the best bet for stocking up, they'll have the spices you need, plus beans.

And yeah I'd check out the vegan thread, I'm really bad at posting recipes but the OP posts a million of them. Find something beany that looks good and can be made with canned beans (good for starting out), then make enough for at least a few days to see if that routine would work for you.

edit: I'll add that the vegan thread is intended for foods that aren't in the "meat substitute" category. There's nothing wrong with them IMO, I have them occasionally, but that thread is an exploration of a more "whole-foods" approach, as in using lots of veggies, beans, spices, and grains to make food.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 25, 2020