Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've been spoiled for years by living a five minute walk away from a great co-op and a short train ride away from a Trader Joe's, so I got used to making 3-4 grocery trips a week. My wife and I try to keep a good stock of dried beans, rice, canned things on hand because that's sort of what she grew up with, but not being able to comfortably say "hm, I'd better pop out for some more kale" has been really weird.

So far, we've just been trying to get through the perishables we have on hand and make room in the freezer for things like tofu and meat. I have to say I'm also extremely grateful the instant pot we got for the holidays last year. Being able to rehydrate beans on a whim is magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

SubG posted:

In terms of panic buying-induced shortages, locally the white people grocery stores are all pretty picked over but the local Korean grocery store isn't as bad.

Yeah, our co-op was swarmed and picked clean but I popped out to our tiny little Korean grocery and it had everything I could ever need, and some of the bodegas near us had most of the staples too. I'm curious how bigger Asian groceries like Hmart are faring but not curious enough to get in the car and find out myself.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

I made some buffalo chickpeas! The sauce was just butter, sambal olek, garlic powder, salt, vinegar, and a pinch of brown sugar. I simmered that up, put a little corn starch slurry in to keep it from separating too bad, then tossed the cooked chickpeas in to coat and warm up. Served over spinach with blue cheese. Absolutely delicious.

Ooh I've never used sambal oelek for buffalo sauce before. I usually use cholula because we get more general use out of that than we would Frank's or Crystal or whatever, but I love sambal and use it for all kinds of other stuff like livening up a pizza sauce base or a broth or a marinade (I used up the last of our last jar yesterday making tofu jerky).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I made pesto a week or two ago with some dandelion greens that were on their last legs and it was delicious.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I don't think there's anything wrong, though, with being able to think "I have a craving for buffalo wings, let's figure out how to approximate that without using meat." For example using jackfruit for bbq, or smoked coconut for BLT-ish strips. I guess that still requires knowing your ingredients pretty well and figuring out how to use them. Even the times when I marinate a bunch of tofu and bake it in thin strips, I'm not thinking of it as "fake meat" or whatever but I'm still usually planning on using it to fill in gaps in dishes that I used to use meat for (to give body to a sandwich, or a salad, etc., even maybe the classic tofu scramble).

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

The best replacement for buffalo wings is cauliflower. Breaded and fried and covered in buffalo sauce (or sauce of your choice).

Ooh yeah, gobi 65 is also fantastic.