Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This league will award a championship this year
This poll is closed.
NBA 7 7.53%
NHL 7 7.53%
MLB 31 33.33%
XFL 48 51.61%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Are they still playing golf? You don't have to be near anyone for that.

Although the real answer to that is probably that bars/restaurants are probably less concerned about what to put on the tv and more about a community of people scared to hang out in crowds of strangers and drink/eat stuff prepared by strangers. That's actually something I seriously need to get more careful about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah even with like tennis matches or golf the rub isn't actually the people playing, its all the massive crews that make it possible for them to play and make it possible to air on TV. Its like nighttime talk shows aren't filming from home to protect the hosts. Its so they don't have to bring all the crew in.

Plus, yeah, its just a bad message to send that Wimbledon or the Masters is more important than this. Even if you can minimize risk you're giving anyone on the fence, getting antsy, or actively resistant to the guidelines and restrictions a little bit of a hint that its not really as important as people say. And you make yourself come off arrogant and greedy that you're special and need to happen or that you're trying to capitalize off it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem is that even if you could do it safely Trump doesn't want the sports to start back up so people stay mentally healthy, he wants it so he can say "everything's fine, I'm great, thank me." Which is a problem because it sends the opposite message of social quarantining and playing it safe. Its not a coincidence that the country started taking this seriously after the NBA shut down and March Madness was cancelled. It was a shock to our routines and made a mark. Bringing back those routines sends the signal that things are getting back to normal and is probably counter productive.

And besides that I just don't think you can actually do sports with the massive support and production staffs in any way resembling a "safe" way. At least not until you have tons of quick and efficient testing and a handle on treatment and not hospital overload.

Its not worth worrying about "a year+" from now with stuff like this. We don't know how long this will last and we can argue about it all we want but it won't change how the sports leagues act. If by the end of summer everything's still shut down and people are losing their minds then the NFL will make a decision.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Probably to be more specific, since racial slur could be a lot of things. It does sound silly though.

I will admit I read the article specifically to find out what slur he said.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I've had this nightmare.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

2020 got Mike Trout to make serious, public statements to the press about something besides the weather TWICE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, whatever you think of sports going right now college sports going is just horrifically unethically. At least with everyone else you have the excuse of grown adults choosing to get paid to take the risk. With the NCAA you're just putting kids at risk and not even compensating them.

Maybe they'll accidently make everyone realize how hosed up college sports are normally.