Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do we finish this season
Award the title now
No title at all
Playoff tournament
Finish the season at a later date
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed
View Results

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They should only finalize positions that are mathematically certain. There are none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
postponing the league for 3 weeks keeps everyone in limbo, players need to train, they need their support staff, clubs effectively keep operating with all the personnel that requires, and is bad for containing the virus

voiding lets everyone reset and look after themselves and come back later (or not) once everything has settled (or hasn't)

e: not to mention all the outside logistics that goes along with televising and facilitating staging a pl football match

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kcer posted:

postponing the league for 3 weeks keeps everyone in limbo, players need to train, they need their support staff, clubs effectively keep operating with all the personnel that requires, and is bad for containing the virus

voiding lets everyone reset and look after themselves and come back later (or not) once everything has settled (or hasn't)

Agreed. It also gives time for Rafa to return to Newcastle as if this season never happened

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Agreed. It also gives time for Rafa to return to Newcastle as if this season never happened

this is a very good point and liverpool fans needs to keep this foremost in their mind

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

can we send joelinton back in return for 40m

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Let's Kick Coronavirus Out of Football

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose posted:

can we send joelinton back in return for 40m

Yes all transfers should be voided, players returned to their clubs and transfer fees refunded

Except ASM, he can stay

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
play out the rest of the league in those upper body bubble suits

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

sticksy posted:

Let's Kick Coronavirus Out of Football

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Void the season, but start next season with the same points they have now. Can Liverpool maintain their lead for another season? Can Norwich turn it around in 38 games?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Good idea, I’d like to see us win the league with 200 plus points.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Can't we just finish this season off in July/August have a 2 month break until November increase the number of players allowed on the subs bench to 10 with 4 substitutions a match and just ram through the fixtures.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve just discovered a player is named Julian Nurnberger has coronavirus and he plays for...Nurnberg

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I’ve just discovered a player is named Julian Nurnberger has coronavirus and he plays for...Nurnberg

I've just discovered that his name is actually Fabian Nurnberger but he does in fact play for Nurnberg.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I've just discovered that his name is actually Fabian Nurnberger but he does in fact play for Nurnberg.

I’ll never recover from this (or covid19)

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1238509246821683201

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

beautiful

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Serie A teams had a virtual conference today and roundly rejected the playoff/playout tournament idea, so that's out for us anyway.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

code:
                              Petri Schmeichel

Aaron Wan-Besicker  Corio Ferdinanti-viral  Nemanja Covidic      Cameron Covid-Jackson

Dread       Nemanja Batic

Andrei Cantsmellthis  Paul Colds   Clayton Washmore

Dong
Do your team!

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 13, 2020

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Dammit, I hate this but had to laugh.

Me irl right now:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

lol

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://ninpo.qap.la/content/coronathletic.htm

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Now even the start of my bullshit Sunday League season has been delayed three weeks.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Shrapnig posted:

Now even the start of my bullshit Sunday League season has been delayed three weeks.

void the league

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

vyelkin posted:

If it's safe to resume in June, do it in June. If it's safe to resume in October, do it in October. If the safe-resumption date is late enough that it cuts into next season, then negotiate a way to hold a shortened next season that everyone can agree on.

This will literally never happen, because you would also have to negotiate shortened European cups etc that everyone can agree on, and there is zero chance of that happening. There's just too much football to cram into a shortened season, especially since the Euros might be pushed to next summer as well. And if we say "ok so suspend cups for next season", why are we pretending to give a poo poo about who qualifies for them?

If this was a case of "postpone for a couple of weeks, season runs a couple of weeks longer than normally" then sure, gently caress it. Postpone and finish the season in the summer. But it's not, unless Jesus himself descends from the heavens to cure the world, this thing hasn't even hit its peak yet and isn't scheduled to do so until the summer.

Once players, managers etc start to get sick in larger numbers (which will 100% happen), it's not like the teams can just keep training throughout the suspension. So what happens when if the season resumes in September or October with players who are nowhere near match fitness? That doesn't seem very fair either.

Much like with most things in life, there is no solution here without drawbacks. Both options, suspending the season indefinitely and calling it off, fucks over some clubs and rewards others. But I think keeping it suspended for weeks or even months and then pretending we're picking off where we left off and facing all the problems that causes for next season is the worse option.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

kcer posted:

void the league

We're currently in 4th so I'm actually ok with that.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1238592178336784384

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

We're currently in 4th so I'm actually ok with that.

Wouldn't voiding the season mean that they discard the results of this season and go with last season's top 4?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sphyre posted:

Wouldn't voiding the season mean that they discard the results of this season and go with last season's top 4?

Yep, and City's ban means 5th is the new 4th :D

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gigi Galli posted:

Serie A teams had a virtual conference today and roundly rejected the playoff/playout tournament idea, so that's out for us anyway.

Is a virtual conference some new age way of doing a conference call?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is a virtual conference some new age way of doing a conference call?

Bad translation lol. It was a video conference call.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
i could live with every time a liverpool fan says they won the league someone will correct them and accurately say they were given it

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/footyaccums/status/1238420044423606272?s=21

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Sphyre posted:

We finished 2nd last season

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Is it 2019? Is confusion a symptom?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A “title”

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

It'll come with "" so big they can lean them up against Anfield outside

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

We finished 2nd last season

YNWA Shrapnig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
It makes sense in a way but gently caress me if that's the most hollow way to win a title.

* And " included.