Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Same, even the modding scene on PC seems to have dropped off quite a bit I haven't seen a decent new map since 1.0 tbh and the custom cosmetics are all incredibly lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Same, even the modding scene on PC seems to have dropped off quite a bit I haven't seen a decent new map since 1.0 tbh and the custom cosmetics are all incredibly lame

I've been hanging out on the mapping discord and it's a really small community. There's a number of people working on stuff but it's mostly "my first map ever" level of quality. Including mine.

But the level of effort needed to get a map done is extremely high so it's gonna take months for anything to be completed. If harvesting the community for DLC is Easy Day's plan going forward the game is in for an extremely rough ride.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I think the plan is that when Session updates they'll announce or update the game and be like "nah check this out instead!". At least it makes sense in my mind.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

I've been hanging out on the mapping discord and it's a really small community. There's a number of people working on stuff but it's mostly "my first map ever" level of quality. Including mine.

But the level of effort needed to get a map done is extremely high so it's gonna take months for anything to be completed. If harvesting the community for DLC is Easy Day's plan going forward the game is in for an extremely rough ride.

Yeah, I'm in the same Discord. I was working on a high school map during EA before giving up about halfway through because I just didn't have the time. Also, a couple high school mod maps came out while I was working on it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:siren: Video part 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq_zJ7KAnsM :siren:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Nice! I like the nose powerslide at 1:02

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lemon posted:

Nice! I like the nose powerslide at 1:02

It's funny that was probably the easiest thing in the entire video but I knew I had to put it in there as soon as I did it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I like the 180 or 360 out on the second line. Looked so good.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I like the 180 or 360 out on the second line. Looked so good.

The 270 out of the nollie heel fs tail? That one took like 45 minutes and it was entirely because of the 270 out.

e: Also, thinking I might cool it on the indie hip hop for the next video but I don't want it to get flagged and have to redo it so I'm a little worried about it.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 2, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another early map version if anyone wants to play around: https://skaterxl.mod.io/xzzyone?preview=31699d250b802ddc36b968bd075e1acb

A lot of things are better, a lot of things are still really bad, but I'm having more fun screwing around on it so I think it's kinda moving in the right direction.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP41BkqbSS8

It's fun. :colbert:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
All I want to do is play the original xgames area from skate 1 and I dont know how to do it without breaking out a 360

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skate 1 was the best because it was a new idea and it didn't have years of feature creep. It was a total blast.

Obviously the polish in the sequels were a lot better, but goddamn the controls in 2 and 3 were a mess.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

That's looking a lot better. I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The guy that made the Streets map that's in game made another map, cleverly named Streets 2.

https://skaterxl.mod.io/streets-2

It's pretty good.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Intel&Sebastian posted:

All I want to do is play the original xgames area from skate 1 and I dont know how to do it without breaking out a 360

It is fully backward compatible, if you have xbone or are planning to get the series s/x.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I have a digital copy and it doesn't work on xbone bc. Been a while since I tried, maybe they fixed it?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Holy smokes it works now

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Goodbye learned skaterxl controls

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/actionofcreate/status/1317246067012816897

Darkslides :aaa:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Console skaters rejoice, looks like player made maps (and clothes) are being rolled out to all platforms in a month or two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maxJZbcKPno

So that's pretty kickass.

Wonder how they're gonna deal with some dork's 2gb map with a hundred 4k textures crashing the console.. maybe it will be a curated list of maps.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:trumppop:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I feel like the presentation implies curated but "touch of a button" and "on all platforms" makes me wonder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I spent like an hour loving around in my own map, I feel like parts of it are starting to to come together. There is so much stuff unfinished though, skating around it gets real easy to spot the problems. :qq:

https://i.imgur.com/JJgg07k.mp4

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I miss goonskate, so I made a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADnRNUxqnGg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Casually reinventing the manual over here.

https://i.imgur.com/5fCx7gh.mp4

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

Casually reinventing the manual over here.

https://i.imgur.com/5fCx7gh.mp4

Lol, I've actually had this happen in a couple of spots in official levels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The physics in this game are so drat broken but I love every bit of it.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

I can't believe I paid 40 bucks for this still crazy buggy empty rear end game that I still play every loving day because there's nothing else that scratches the skate itch on ps4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7U_e23Gd7s

anyway here's a line how pumped are we for THREE new maps that easy day didn't have to create or anything baby

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My favorite is how cagey they are with the announcement. Big bold claims about modded maps and clothing coming to consoles! So everyone starts to think they plugged mod.io directly into the console versions (which could never work and most PC maps would instantly crash a console because modders are incapable of regulating their texture use).

Then they add in short clips clarifying how it's just a few curated maps and some new shoes.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

My favorite is how cagey they are with the announcement. Big bold claims about modded maps and clothing coming to consoles! So everyone starts to think they plugged mod.io directly into the console versions (which could never work and most PC maps would instantly crash a console because modders are incapable of regulating their texture use).

Then they add in short clips clarifying how it's just a few curated maps and some new shoes.

yeah it's absurd I'm not sure how they expect people to get hyped over new maps when they're just porting/removing logos (assuming easy day is even doing that and not just getting the original map creators to scrub their maps) and there are still tons of rails and ledges in this game that you just straight up can't grind, it's frustrating because I really do like the game on some base level but every time I try to put together a line it's like oh well I can't grind this thing I wanted to, or having to start over because I got too close to an object and the game decided to huck my skater off the board. It's honestly insane to me that a company could charge almost full retail for this game and then just go complete radio silence after an initial patch to critically unfuck their game (which, to clarify, remains totally hosed in many ways).

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah like I'd love to buy a switch port if it came out because xl really does scratch an itch but the lack of polish and content for a game that charges full price is really just a deal breaker. I'm really glad I got it at early access price because it still very much feels like an early access game.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Yeah like I'd love to buy a switch port if it came out because xl really does scratch an itch but the lack of polish and content for a game that charges full price is really just a deal breaker. I'm really glad I got it at early access price because it still very much feels like an early access game.

Yeah, I was very disappointed with the 1.0 release and I've pretty much abandoned the game since. I'm putting my hopes on Session and the (eventual) new Skate game.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The session physics update has a lot riding on in BC ATM it does feel way wonkier than xl. At least the way the board handles even though I prefer the actual control system session uses. If session has less weird space launch objects after the update I probably won't pick up xl again

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

Session looks insanely clunky (it always reminds me of that ps1 era thrasher game when I see it in motion) but the physics do seem a little more on point than skater XL. I'm only playing on PS4 so I can't say for certain, but session seems like the skater actually has weight to their body while skater XL has always just kind of felt like an upside down marionette that's attached to a skateboard, if that makes sense.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Has there been any indication that the new skate game isn’t just going to be some weird bad mobile thing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Session plays more realistic, but the animations look like butt.

SXL has much better animations, but has glitchier physics and is less realistic (mods can make it more realistic, but lots of maps become unplayable).

I think right now SXL wins solely based on the ability to tweak animations, you can get a lot of personality in your tricks. We'll see how Session compares once hit its 1.0.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

zelah posted:

Has there been any indication that the new skate game isn’t just going to be some weird bad mobile thing?

I feel like they addressed this in some way at the announcement but I can't remember how. So probably no.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Skater XL doesn't load any of my replays from last month or so... gently caress.

All my old replays work fine, it is just the new ones...

edit:
some Tonywhaking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDjQKP1lSms

Issaries fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last time I post this in here, I swear. Next time I upload a release hopefully it's the last version and I can be done with it forever:

https://skaterxl.mod.io/seahaven?preview=2dd8ec0b59f7bb33f8ed4f80b5481645

I decided I didn't really want a 100% real map, there's nothing in here that's tony hawk level of goofy but a lot of my favorite features would never happen in the real world because they'd be too dangerous or whatever. It feels like most maps go either super real or super silly and I wanted to try and find the middle ground.

Some features are still in flux (the plywood sheets and quarterpipes are test ideas I'm working on, when I play test if I get an idea I tend to drop in an obstacle to see if it sticks) but for the most part things are generally done unless testing suggests I really need to change something. Hopefully it's just detailing and texture fixes from now on.