Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!
Legoshi's eng VA is just Legoshi if Legoshi was also a shitposter. Exhibit A:

https://youtu.be/kg_bKSA1yVM

Also Jack Saint's part 2 on Beastars is already out, but spoilers obviously. His first video is probably what bumped up my interest in the series to begin with- though I was planning on watching regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Probably the closest we'll get to an official English version of the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUdMxyKZcWc

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

UnintelGen posted:

Legoshi's eng VA is just Legoshi if Legoshi was also a shitposter. Exhibit A:

https://youtu.be/kg_bKSA1yVM

lmao this is great

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Episode 12: That is certainly a sparkledog that rivals the best/worst of deviantart.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

Episode 12: That is certainly a sparkledog that rivals the best/worst of deviantart.

juno does what seems like a good idea at the time and does it as hard as possible

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've seen some very bad sparkledogs, Juno's outfit just made me think "and several dozen new furries are born."

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

I laughed a lot at the chicken being incredibly proud about her egg taste.
I also can't stop wondering how Legoshi would react if he knew. Like, would he compliment her for her eggs or be kinda weirded out?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, since it's a normal thing I assume is general knowledge in their world, he'd probably be like "thank you for your hard work!"

unless you mean that she specifically works hard for him in particular, then, maybe. :v:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Mojangles posted:

I also can't stop wondering how Legoshi would react if he knew. Like, would he compliment her for her eggs or be kinda weirded out?

Legoshi cannot be weirded out, only weird others out

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Mojangles posted:

he would compliment her with rib-cracking sincerity and then go on with his day

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1284155902694694924?s=20

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The english dub of the second season dropped on Nextflix today. Haven't seen much noise about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the second season had way less visual creativity than the first and really bad pacing problems in the latter half, probably due to COVID, because what isn't due to COVID these days. but that and the manga imploding pretty much killed off any widespread interest in the franchise as a whole

i doubt a third season is coming, a lot of the manga material past this point would be a nightmare to adapt or streamline

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It also took too long for it to officially get released outside of Japan.

Godzilla SP beating it despite Godzilla airing after it is just weird.

Edit: not that I'm blaming anyone for it, cause I understand Covid, scheduling conflicts, etc. but it helped play a part in it at least for me.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 15, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

but that and the manga imploding pretty much killed off any widespread interest in the franchise as a whole

The poor manga ending real quickly took the series from one I was near obsessed with to one I just stopped caring about entirely.

for comparison Haikyuu was like my other main manga obsession that ended last year, had imo a great ending, and I've reread the whole thing since it ended and have probably read the final arc itself like 3-4 times.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
At least we'll always have the goodness of Snake Theme even if they ended up doing virtually nothing after said intro theme as well as Alpaca Theme in terms of wildly catchy musical bits out of nowhere.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Aw that's too bad, I was gonna watch the second season. Maybe this means Orange will go back and make the second season of Land of the Lustrous if Beastars isn't their main project anymore.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The first season is great all the way through and ends at a good last thought, so I'll still recommend it, but yea rip

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'd still say watch the second season if if you haven't. There's a lot of fun/scary/goofy moments to enjoy.

It's just that the plot becomes a bit of a mess after this season ends, and could do for a bit of a rewrite. Maybe it could be fixed in the anime by cutting out some big swaths of it, but I don't know if the creator would be up for that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
paru's dialed back her output to very occasionally releasing a new beast complex chapter and her next manga is about declining birth rates(???). she seems to be trying to back away from animal-people manga entirely, not just beastars

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

paru's dialed back her output to very occasionally releasing a new beast complex chapter and her next manga is about declining birth rates(???). she seems to be trying to back away from animal-people manga entirely, not just beastars

I'm still interested in what she does next. When Beastars was good it was very good, and I've liked most of the beast complex I've read.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Her bloody nose manga was pretty awesome

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Despite her weird story writing process, Paru is an excellent artist and I love her artstyle.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i doubt a third season is coming, a lot of the manga material past this point would be a nightmare to adapt or streamline

so this was wrong

https://twitter.com/LouisTheRedDeer/status/1416379145077104645

leaked last night that there's one final season coming

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cool. I'm curious to see what they do. i'd love for it just to go off in it's own direction seperate from the manga, just to see what happens.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I am pretty sure just based on the one author's note that she hates the internet in an issue, that Paru got thoroughly pestered by furries. I do not blame her for distancing herself.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

so this was wrong

https://twitter.com/LouisTheRedDeer/status/1416379145077104645

leaked last night that there's one final season coming

The next arc in the manga is the best one, so that makes sense.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the official twitter's already stated that yafya and melon are showing up (and they're right there in silhouette along with gosha), so it's not just going to be the next arc. how exactly they're going to to shove melon in there without a cliffhanger ending and yet another season is anyone's guess

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the official twitter's already stated that yafya and melon are showing up (and they're right there in silhouette along with gosha), so it's not just going to be the next arc. how exactly they're going to to shove melon in there without a cliffhanger ending and yet another season is anyone's guess

Careful with how much you say, still the anime topic and not the general one.

Hopefully by substantially abbreviating his relevance.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
I still really enjoyed that season, even if it didn't end nearly as strongly as the first one.

What's the spoiler policy for Netflix shows?

Vahtooch fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 18, 2021

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Finished season 2, and I gotta say…seemed like a big step back from season 1. The plot is a mess and there’s so much superfluous stuff crammed in that should have just been cut.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m only 2 episodes into season 2 but it’s making me angry. Not because of the plot or anything, it’s just that Studio Orange is so good at the visual production that it makes every other cg anime studio look like they’re not even trying. There are even 3D scenes in the latest Eva movie that look like poo poo compared to the weight and precise acting and action animation in this show. gently caress. How are they this far ahead of their competition?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1417964449621848064

i understand all these words individually but arranging them in this order is making me smell toast

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It makes a lot more sense if that "ancestor" is supposed to be "descendant."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sindai posted:

It makes a lot more sense if that "ancestor" is supposed to be "descendant."

You are right to think this

https://twitter.com/mangamogura/status/1417968293546270728?s=21

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Well, I finished Season 2 and its pretty good?

The animation kept me coming back because holy poo poo, these folks know how to make these 3d models move interestingly. I really liked that a lot of the background characters got some more time in the animation and detail departments. With the main cast modeled, I wonder if they had more time? For what few fights they had, the animation was just excellent. For as silly and serious the plot whats the be, the show is really nice just to look at.

The music is still fantastic. I love the jazz themes everyone gets. It also helps the city seem so much more interesting the few times we get into it proper.

The story is a bit of problem. None of the various plot lines really mesh together so Rouie and Haru feel very ejected from the plot, but the manga also suffered this. Legoshi still spends most of his time going, "What am I going to do?" and the answer, "Training!", feels a bit cliche and aimless even for this style. I was hoping the abrupt ending of the manga would get expanded, but cest la vie.

So very good looking, but a bit dumb; a metaphor for the show and its main character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the models mostly come down to the eyes i think. in the other thread someone posted a ten-second gif of legosi talking to someone and his pupils were sliding all over the place because he's too loving awkward to look directly at someone, which gives his body language a lot of personality that even 2d models would have trouble with. another good example in this season was the pina and legosi bit in the storage room. when pina's doing The Thing and says "eat" his eyes pop wide for a split-second, for that little bit of extra emphasis

the anime will never be able to capture what a rubbery goblin-creature manga haru can be and the lions are just ugly as sin all around, but i don't know if you could have gotten a decent representation of them all even with 2d art

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think all the characters look great and move even better. I’ve always been hesitant about cg anime and mocap use but... Orange just proves how well it can be used. They’re masters. No other studio is doing a fraction of what they’re pulling off. Khara is alright with cg but still nowhere near this level.

Anyway this show goes to some dark places! I guess it was always dark but the episode with the arm was so visceral, it made me uncomfortable in ways hardly any media has.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Watching people react to the arm is fun. A bunch of people I watched assumed it was a drama club prank, at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel like it ended up being pretty obvious who the killer was going to be since I don't remember Riz from season 1 and suddenly this bear has a lot of stuff to say right when Legoshi starts poking around but I'm two episodes away from the end of the season and I'm really enjoying it