Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
These new programs sure make me hate the players we get as rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Just got the game today. What are the best pitches to use for each RTTS archetype as the effectiveness of certain pitches seems to vary with each edition.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like you can throw just about anything against the AI and be ok...the main thing is to hit your meter mark as close as you can. It seems like the AI gets a ding against it when you do. My main irritation with the AI is that it almost NEVER swings at anything out of the zone, whereas human players (even really good ones) you can really set up to swing at stuff in the dirt.

Basically, you want a fastball, a hard low pitch (sinker/forkball), a slow pitch (curve/changeup), and a lateral movement pitch (slider or cutter). My perfect DD pitcher would have a hard sinker as primary, 4 seamer, 12-6 curve, slider, and forkball, in that order. If you go really heavy on the movement, you could replace curve/slider with slurve, but that has to have a LOT of break to be a legit out pitch.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

bewbies posted:

I feel like you can throw just about anything against the AI and be ok...the main thing is to hit your meter mark as close as you can. It seems like the AI gets a ding against it when you do. My main irritation with the AI is that it almost NEVER swings at anything out of the zone, whereas human players (even really good ones) you can really set up to swing at stuff in the dirt.

Basically, you want a fastball, a hard low pitch (sinker/forkball), a slow pitch (curve/changeup), and a lateral movement pitch (slider or cutter). My perfect DD pitcher would have a hard sinker as primary, 4 seamer, 12-6 curve, slider, and forkball, in that order. If you go really heavy on the movement, you could replace curve/slider with slurve, but that has to have a LOT of break to be a legit out pitch.

Is the splitter any good in this version? Because it was a good out pitch for me in previous versions.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
i haven't played this year's version yet, but if it's anything like every other year i played, the cpu will sometimes lay off a pitch that a real person would have swung at, but if you can't get them to chase, it means you're not throwing a good combo of pitches and mixing up your locations well enough tbh, i can usually get the cpu to swing at a put out pitch out of the zone about 75% of the time, the issue i have is that they often will foul off pitches that they really should have no business making contact with and then force me to come back into the zone

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For as long as I can remember playing The Show, I've never done anything other to the CPU than throw 4 seams to the corners until 2 strikes and then off speed junk til they K or hit it. Hasn't failed me yet. I give up more solos than I think I should, but also give up less hits. There are some times when the CPU flips a switch and fouls off pitches it has no business hitting and taking sliders an inch off the black, but you get used to it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is the splitter any good in this version? Because it was a good out pitch for me in previous versions.

It is pretty much the same thing as a forkball, maybe a bit faster with less movement. I like it as a pitch to induce grounders, especially if you get a guy who is sitting low in the zone hoping to crank a dinger when he has guys on base (which is just about every human player online).

If you have a REALLY good one (ie, Kirby Yates) you can really pound down and away in the zone with it until the guy starts looking down there out of anger and frustration. Otherwise it is kinda risky to throw in the zone.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Three whole Diamonds yesterday! One was Soto as a Affinity Award, so it wasn’t really luck, but got Ketel Marte as a post game reward and Josh Hader from the 2nd inning Headliner pack.

There’s a huge difference between gold and diamond I guess. Used to be lucky to get 2 runs a game on all-star in 3 inning games with golds and now I get around 8 with diamonds.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Would it be redundant to have both a sinker and a splitter/forkball?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
probably. the sinker is typically a little faster and breaks more laterally so i prefer it

the rtts pitcher i have been rolling since 14(?) has a sinker, a cutter, a slider, a screwball, and a knucklecurve.

my reasoning is i have a hard biting breaking pitch i can throw for strikes but can also get chasing swings (sinker), a hard-biting breaking pitch as an out pitch (slider) something that breaks in on the hands of same-handed batters (screwball, but you can also use the running FB), something that breaks away from same-handed batters (some type of curve), and i just prefer a cutter to a straight fastball because i can run it up and in to lefties and saw them off real good

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I roll with 4SFB, Circle Change, Slider, Curve, and Sinker.

4SFB to get ahead
Cir Change as a strikeout pitch for LHB
Slider strikeout pitch for RHB
Curve works well after a high fastball
Sinker for a double play ball, though mostly for RHB as the change works pretty well for LHB

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Infidel Castro posted:

I roll with 4SFB, Circle Change, Slider, Curve, and Sinker.

4SFB to get ahead
Cir Change as a strikeout pitch for LHB
Slider strikeout pitch for RHB
Curve works well after a high fastball
Sinker for a double play ball, though mostly for RHB as the change works pretty well for LHB

I'm rocking it as a 21 year old fireballer with a 4sb, 12-6 curve, slider, cutter, and palmball

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'm rocking it as a 21 year old fireballer with a 4sb, 12-6 curve, slider, cutter, and palmball

Yeah so about that....

In my rookie season. 8th ML start. My Padres pitcher on the mound in New York against the Mets. He has the above pitch set.

Jacob DeGrom and I trade zeros all game. He was pulled in the 8th for. PH, I was left in because I had a perfect game going.

Long story short, I was perfect through 10. Three pitches into the 11th, I hung the palmball to Pete Alonso and he crushed it for a 1-0 walkoff win.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you need to work on your hitting.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

KDdidit posted:

Sounds like you need to work on your hitting.

It was my RTTS pitcher. And I'll have you know I got 2 hits in the game. :colbert:

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I miss the old RTTS when you could raise your hitting stats whenever you wanted as a pitcher.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of RTTS, the devs are ruthless. Was playing a game in RTTS and dashboarded to let my wife use the PS4. When I started playing again there was a some kind of warning about unexpected disconnections when you have a teammate challenge going on. For those who don’t play RTTS, sometimes you get a challenge to get X whatevers in 3 games and it raises a stat cap by 5. Obviously the purity of RTTS can’t be tarnished by this behavior. It’s not even that the stat goes up 5, the stat cap goes up 5 and you still have to raise it.

It’s annoying enough it’s there for MtO. Since I don’t play online who cares if I weasel into getting some FotF Diamond that’s only 87-89 that I only use in Conquest that I already never lose because I play on Vet.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea I really hate the change in developing they started with a few years ago. I don’t play online let me be Willie loving Mays at catcher or whatever

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Getting the Kris Bryant treatment from the Cubs in RTTS. At the 2021 All-Star break at 82 OVR and the best OF on the roster and I'm still in AAA. My secondary is 1B where the best on the roster is 67 OVR. I'd file a grievance but I know I'd lose.

Edit: Looks like my complaining on “social media” helped as I just got called up. Went 1-3 with a walk. My OVR went from 82 to 79 though, odd.

KDdidit fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 25, 2020

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ended a Cubs MtO at the LCS with maxed TA before stage 2 came out, so was 50 shy of finishing it. How convenient that MtO is giving double TA for some reason so I got that done in a night. Kind of sad that the Cubs Future Star is a 2nd baseman when I already picked Sandberg at Silver 1. Makes me sad there aren't more game options as I have a stacked Cubs team and no reason to play most of them since I'm at the TA cap.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Really wanted to get the Yankees MtO done but the first game against the Orioles and the batter's eye is just atrocious. Discouraged me from even finishing the game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hitting in online DD games is so drat hard after that last update.

I played two games yesterday...one was against some guy who started the 99 OVR Kluber. Hitting against that guy is comically difficult; I managed to squeeze out two solo home runs and had maybe 2 other baserunners past that. My other opponent must have spent literally thousands of dollars on this...he had almost all of the high-end "collections" guys including the 99 OVR Mickey Mantle.

The funny thing is both of these guys were even worse hitters than me...I struck out 20 in the first game and 22 in the second and neither managed to score a run.

I dunno, I feel like it is basically just everyone swinging for the fences and hoping you get lucky right now. You rarely walk and reliably putting hard balls into play is impossible. I love me a tight 2-0 win but holy hell is this getting frustrating.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there’s some horrible visibility times at Camden as well as some minor League parks. You always hear it’s tough for a batter to pick up the ball when they’re in the shade and the pitcher is in the sun, but if they wanted to skip that part, fine by me.

Surprised myself and completed the new NL showdown. Went in down 15-11 and won it with 2 outs left. Not sure how anyone does them without cheesing steals. Take pitches they say. Can’t do it. I was down 1 with a runner on 3rd and 6 outs to go with the infield in. All I have to do is get a grounder through and then I can easily steal 2nd and 3rd and pretty much guarantee a win. Well the next 3 batters went down on the first pitch weakly grounding low and out of the zone sinkers to the pitcher and first baseman. They moved the infield back and I eventually got a lucky hit and later won.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Unsurprisingly they patched the 2x MtO affinity and steal cheese. Well maybe surprising they finally fixed the steal thing. Not sure I'll ever bother with showdowns now after I got a slight boost of confidence finishing the stage 2 NL affinity showdown. I just finished a WC round in MtO so missed on 25 extra points from that but at least got 27 extra from the regular season and WC round. Built the whole team around speed speed to cheese the steals, will be interesting to see how I do in the playoffs now.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

What's the steal cheese? Cause I would have hoped it was fixing stealing home and my catcher just stands there like an idiot but nope! Just happened again.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Grem posted:

What's the steal cheese? Cause I would have hoped it was fixing stealing home and my catcher just stands there like an idiot but nope! Just happened again.

Didn't use it myself, but taken from a comment it was apparently

quote:

Hold L2 and then hold R2. Wait about 5 seconds. (The pitcher will not throw if you're holding R2). After you wait 5 seconds, let go of L2 then let go of R2 right away. The pitcher will pitch the ball every time right after you have taken off.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh man it was glorious. Anybody over 30 speed was an automatic steal of 2nd and over 50 for 3rd. It wasn’t so much the stealing of 2nd, it was staying out of the bullshit double plays in Showdowns.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Alright, getting in to more online play. Rather than improve my play I am just going to blame my hardware and buy a new TV. What are some things I'm looking for? 4k, I guess? Uh, game mode? But that's pretty standard right?

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Grem posted:

Alright, getting in to more online play. Rather than improve my play I am just going to blame my hardware and buy a new TV. What are some things I'm looking for? 4k, I guess? Uh, game mode? But that's pretty standard right?

if you're gonna buy something just to play The Show, get a gaming monitor with the high refresh rate and a delay of no more than 2ms, and it should save you some money over a new TV. plus you don't want the resolution, you want the framerates, so a 4k tv won't help as much.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you actually have to turn HDR mode or whatever off in the show, it messes with your swing timing

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

if you're gonna buy something just to play The Show, get a gaming monitor with the high refresh rate and a delay of no more than 2ms, and it should save you some money over a new TV. plus you don't want the resolution, you want the framerates, so a 4k tv won't help as much.

The PS5 isn't a gaming computer. The refresh rate and frame rate is fixed for games so no matter what monitor you have it won't help over a TV. The delay will help but there are some TV gaming modes that are low enough where even that is negligible unless you are talking budget TVs.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty big offline Diamond Dynasty content dump yesterday, Mother's Day conquest map, Keith Hernandez program, and the Player's Tournament program. Did the whole Mother's Day map, tons of packs as rewards, but didn't get any diamonds of course. Keith Hernandez must have the Jackie Robinson hitting sliders attached to him because he sucks. Players Tournament is sweet, some reasonable challenges for free diamonds. Pick 2 out of Gallo, Bichette, Smith Jr, and Lux at 85 or 86 and 1 out of 88 Happ, 90 Giolito, 88 McNeil. A switch hitting Happ is pretty cool. You can get a 95 Snell, but you have to buy a few of the cards you didn't pick to get it.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I managed to pack the diamond J Hey the other day and I'm really excited to unlock Chipper. 19 year old me is gonna go ape poo poo over the early 2010s Braves team I'm accidentally building.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Anyone else have around a 90% plus chance of hitting into a double play against the cpu? I’ve resorted to just bunting a man over it’s gotten so annoying and looking for a ball up doesn’t seem to make a difference. Any trick to this?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I find if you treat hitting like a magic eye puzzle and unfocus your eye/focus on something in the background and react based on that depth perception vs. trying to focus on the ball itself is far more successful.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

does anyone else have this thing that whenever the press the button to make contact their left thumb just shoves up? i have to start my target at the bottom and hope my reflex manages to get to the spot correctly. i generally see where it's going, but i am just broken or something. it's like i want to use that thumb to lift the ball instead of aim.

not sure how to break that. i did manage to get past beginner, but pretty stuck at rookie.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

the_american_dream posted:

Anyone else have around a 90% plus chance of hitting into a double play against the cpu? I’ve resorted to just bunting a man over it’s gotten so annoying and looking for a ball up doesn’t seem to make a difference. Any trick to this?

Said mere moments before being doubled off a bunt

I’m having a blast here

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I find if you treat hitting like a magic eye puzzle and unfocus your eye/focus on something in the background and react based on that depth perception vs. trying to focus on the ball itself is far more successful.

Not sure if this was directed at me. Good advice that I’ll give a shot but I’m not so much having problems getting wood on the ball as I am with the game knowing the situation and getting easy grounders no matter what or who I have batting

Edit: just realized i haven’t looked at adjusting game sliders. Maybe that will help

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 13, 2020

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Said mere moments before being doubled off a bunt

I’m having a blast here

The CPU is double play bullshit supreme it's not really you, and like you said even if you try to bunt your way out of it there's a good chance you'll get doubled up anyway. Generically speaking keep your PCI in the upper part of the zone and don't swing at anything you drop it for. Easier said than done I know, but there's not much else other than using guess pitch to help out. The zoning your vision out and focusing on a spot behind the pitcher's head is good strategy. Try out the different strike zone cameras and find one you can judge low pitches best in.

abelwingnut posted:

does anyone else have this thing that whenever the press the button to make contact their left thumb just shoves up? i have to start my target at the bottom and hope my reflex manages to get to the spot correctly. i generally see where it's going, but i am just broken or something. it's like i want to use that thumb to lift the ball instead of aim.

not sure how to break that. i did manage to get past beginner, but pretty stuck at rookie.

I'm sort of on the opposite side, I drop my PCI at the last moment for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Good pitchers/players will REALLY try to induce a ground ball in a double play situation; I'm sure the CPU does also. I usually "save" a pitch for GIDP purposes (sinker works best but can use cutter or 2SFB also) and don't use it until it is time to induce a grounder.

If you know a groundball pitch is coming, sit low in the zone and try to jump on a pitch, or alternatively, wait out a couple of pitches and see if he misses low and gives you a favorable count.