Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

yeah i find i'm GIDPing more when i swing at that first pitch after getting someone to first. gotta be patient in that scenario. the first pitch just looks so tempting though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

KDdidit posted:

I'm sort of on the opposite side, I drop my PCI at the last moment for no good reason.

I will usually yank to whatever side the ball is going for no good reason. Fastball inside but still in the zone? I'm trying to swing my own dick off.

I have been thinking about getting a little bumper or something to go in the stick well to keep me from being able to go so far to one side but who knows what other repercussions that would have.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whatever that patch did, I’m scoring literally twice as many runs a game in offline Diamond Dynasty.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I've never been good with pci so just use the stick to hit.

It's less effective but I just can't reliably move the cursor to the ball and not jam it all the way in that direction.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Most of the time when a pitcher comes up to bat I throw straight fastballs cause lol pitchers.

Gonna stop doing that after the dude I was playing threw one right down the middle and I smashed a 3-run HR with Greinke to take the lead in the 8th.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Honus Wagner definitely feels like the easiest of the hitter programs so far, considering that I finished it inside of a day. Not having a bunch of pain in the rear end multi-game moments helps, too.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Vizquel one was cake too, as anybody with 99 drag bunting (like Honus) is an easy single about 80% of the time. They even took some liberties with the goals as it'd say something like "on this day Omar hit 3 grand slams in an inning, match his total by collecting 3 total bases in a 3 game series." Hopefully the June PotM ones that come out today are just as easy.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Aguilar's moments for June are pretty ridiculous.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had some extra stubs after the father's day thing so did what I never do and bought a pack....the ducks on the pond one.

I got the elite tier. took Chapman, sold him for 200k.

decided what the hell, bought another pack.

got another Chapman.

so anyway that's my pack luck for the season

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, I quit after I got the good round the last time they dropped. I did take advantage of the cheap low tier prices and bought Rodney for 6k and Murphy for 5750.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there a good overview or guide for getting into the DD stuff? I've been playing this game for a few years doing only RTTS and I'm finally getting curious about what all these loving cards I keep getting rewarded actually mean.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Just pop in, make your team by letting the computer pick the best players and play some conquest. It's pretty Risk-ish and easy to follow.

Then spend $100s of dollars buy packs because you can't beat the Dodgers.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is there a good overview or guide for getting into the DD stuff? I've been playing this game for a few years doing only RTTS and I'm finally getting curious about what all these loving cards I keep getting rewarded actually mean.

I'd start by doing all of the monthly awards...those by themselves would give you a solid team, the challenges aren't that hard and they all give you good players. Correa, Derek Dietrich, Didi, Sanchez, and Alex Wood are all still making regular appearances for really good teams. Correa is still my starting SS and Dietrich is my primary RHP killer off the bench.

Then take that team and go beat all of the conquest maps. They pay off quite a bit between packs and prospect cards and give you points towards the monthly programs also.

At that point you should probably have an all diamond team or close to it, that is good enough to start playing vs people which in my opinion is the most fun and frustrating way to play.

edit - I forgot that you have to do collections for those monthly awards if you don't want to grind it out. Save all your stubs for that.

This got me curious so I went through and did a "monthly awards" team

C: 85 Zunino
1B: 87 Aguilar
2B: 92 Lemahieu
SS: 95 Correa
3B: 92 Didi
RF: 88 Dietrich
CF: 97 Bellinger
LF: 85 Zimmerman

Bench: T Anderson, Crawford,

SP: Corbin, Glasnow, Wood, C. Anderson (Glasnow is trash but the others are solid)
Neris is the only reliever.

That...is a pretty solid team that can be had for free, and not too much grindy-type stuff.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 22, 2020

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
So I guess basically do the monthly challenge always and the solo player map thing whenever I get tired of RTTS? Sounds good, thanks.

Is there a point to playing online beyond just for fun?

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 22, 2020

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

There's some rewards for every ranking step you get but unless you're pretty high up there it's not much. Some player programs like Jackie Robinson require online hits or runs.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Grem posted:

There's some rewards for every ranking step you get but unless you're pretty high up there it's not much. Some player programs like Jackie Robinson require online hits or runs.

iirc all of the non-prestige player programs can be finished without online play, they just generally require you to do all the missions and maybe collections instead

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Grem posted:

Most of the time when a pitcher comes up to bat I throw straight fastballs cause lol pitchers.

Gonna stop doing that after the dude I was playing threw one right down the middle and I smashed a 3-run HR with Greinke to take the lead in the 8th.

Why the hell wouldn't you ph in that situation?

Is this bait!?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're starting conquest figure out if the team your facings 5th starter is a righty or lefty and load up accordingly. I've run Shohei into the ground since he's good enough against the cpu, has a fast windup, and I don't have to PH for him.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Why the hell wouldn't you ph in that situation?

Is this bait!?

He had a low pitch count and I didn't really care much about winning at that point. A 2 run lead is usually pretty insurmountable for me in most cases, but yea I probably should have ph lol

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is it possible to download Pay Hughes' home run call and import it to the Show? The weak rear end version Vasgersian does doesn't do it for me.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Need a cringe inducing " jumping up and down like a bunch of delirious 10-year-olds" instead.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

KDdidit posted:

Need a cringe inducing " jumping up and down like a bunch of delirious 10-year-olds" instead.

Cut the guy a break. He was the voice at the end of a 108-year drought. Surprised the dude could even form words.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

There is, you have to find an mp3 of it and download it from a thumb drive via "sounds of the show" or whatever. Then set it to your home run song. I'm not sure if it'll work online, though.

Also drat all the phase 3 guys are prestige-able.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm on vacation now so haven't seen ANY of this new content, but it seems like they once again filled up the rosters with a zillion baseball supermen which means every lineup now will have all 99s and every pitcher will be a superpitcher.

I really wish they'd try harder to make a limited number of really elite cards and put in some more variety in the player pool. i'm so tired of dancing around left hand power bat after left hand power bat.

Also LOL at the folks who spent four digits on a mantle card in the early weeks, he's just an average middle order hitter now

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

i'm on vacation now so haven't seen ANY of this new content, but it seems like they once again filled up the rosters with a zillion baseball supermen which means every lineup now will have all 99s and every pitcher will be a superpitcher.

I really wish they'd try harder to make a limited number of really elite cards and put in some more variety in the player pool. i'm so tired of dancing around left hand power bat after left hand power bat.

Also LOL at the folks who spent four digits on a mantle card in the early weeks, he's just an average middle order hitter now

It highlights a lack of specific offline DD content. As a Cubs fan I have a stacked Cubs line up, but up against the Affinity Cap I don't have much reason reward-wise to use it. Sure, using the team you like, blah blah blah, but it'd be nice to get even a tiny something for it. If there was some mode using only a specific team, or maybe 5 players from a team, to get you something cheezy like a cosmetic or whatever that'd be great. I can make a stacked Yankees lineup just because there are so many free Yankee diamonds, but I have no reason to ever use them, same for a lot of other teams. I've got a vs Lefty 3 inning line up, a vs Righty 3 inning line up, and a general 9 inning lineup, and if a card can't crack those lineups it's mostly useless other than for a few inning stars once in a while. That being said, there's plenty of non online content so I can't complain too much, but it'd still be nice to have some team specific stuff.

KDdidit fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 1, 2020

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The decision to have the TA3 cards sellable is weird, especially with gold live series cards plummeting. I hate showdowns and have been doing rival exchanges for affinity, now it's cheaper (even with prices cratering) just to buy the stage 3 card. On top of that, the other TA rewards are fairly useless now. The end reward of 5 Ballin' is a Habit packs isn't going to get you any card you'd use other than Trout because there's so many better cards. Maybe you're trying for Mantle, but at this point Mantle isn't that much better than way cheaper cards.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
One of the things that still bugs me after years of it is the weird insistence on only going "off the scale" for certain stats on the legends. Like, I get that when you're trying to scale the stamina of someone like Walter Johnson against a present-day pitching environment, or Ty Cobb's contact, when your rating system considers a 99 to be "the best" of the current era, okay, maybe you have to go higher than that sometimes. But then you have Rickey Henderson, who somehow has "only" 99 speed and stealing, instead of about 140 or whatever you would expect for a player so superlatively good at a particular aspect of the game.

Don't get me started on stuff like the prospect ratings... three different Dylan Carlson cards, all with different stats, 99 overall Jo Adell who's played less than a month in AAA, literally everything about Brusdar Graterol... it's just a shitshow.

Ratings inflation is a problem in every sports video game, obviously, but I play MLB The Show the most, so it's what I'm most familiar with. Unfortunately we aren't going back to the days of NHLPA 93 with 1 overall Shawn Chambers any time soon.

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 3, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The ratings will always be a problem when the main point of a game is to sell as many card packs as possible.

Ricky Henderson could have ♾ for Base Stealing and I would still think it’s a little low.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do they do the 2K thing where they give cards unnatural positions? Need some lefty catchers other than Kung-Fu Panda's switch hitting C secondary.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

KDdidit posted:

Do they do the 2K thing where they give cards unnatural positions? Need some lefty catchers other than Kung-Fu Panda's switch hitting C secondary.
I used Kyle Schwarber at C in the lefty-hitter moonshot event, he's trash defensively (because it's his secondary) but if he connects he'll crush a baseball.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

KDdidit posted:

depends on the card, and the standards seem incredibly weird. 1999 chipper jones gets SS as a secondary position off the 1 inning he played there that season, but the SS Gary Sheffield was a primary SS his first 2 seasons and he doesn't get it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would not ever use a non-diamond SS/C/CF at those positions based on the huge number of infuriating errors made at said positions.

Also I'm getting really irritated at reggie jackson in RF due to his poo poo glove

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

TheFlyingLlama posted:

depends on the card, and the standards seem incredibly weird. 1999 chipper jones gets SS as a secondary position off the 1 inning he played there that season, but the SS Gary Sheffield was a primary SS his first 2 seasons and he doesn't get it.
Craig Biggio played exactly two innings at catcher after 1991 (in 2007, at age 41, for some reason) and every single one of his cards is a secondary C.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I cashed in everything and bought an all superstar team. I also probably lost 100k stubs in the Great July 4th Selloff.

This is great for people like me who kind of struggle on the fringes of DD but man I'd be pissed if I had an elite team a week ago and now everyone does.

Also let us all celebrate the gradual lessening of SuperKluber.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The new FoF cards are absurdly cheap. A 98 Mattingly was 9k stubs yesterday and a few others are between 10-20k. I bought 1 HR Derby pack and got the good round and picked Judge, as his live series was the first good diamond I got. Sucks they nerfed his defense from the LS card, but whatever. Almost had all my immediate stub concerns erased yesterday, but my diamond AL Center Fielder reveal was of course Springer and not Trout. Only really want to buy Banks to keep my Cubs team up, but would have probably bought Killebrew and McGee for a lefty reliever.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

KDdidit posted:

I bought 1 HR Derby pack and got the good round and picked Judge, as his live series was the first good diamond I got. Sucks they nerfed his defense from the LS card, but whatever.
At this point I have three different Aaron Judge cards (HRD, live series, '18 cover) and their speed and defense ratings are all over the loving place from one to the other. Apparently between 2017 and 2020 he got slower, but developed a Bo Jackson cannon arm to make up for it.

...man, I'd love a Bo Jackson flashback.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
So uh can someone explain the point of showdowns to me as a new player? Why would I ever want to spend 1k coins grinding the same minimally creative challenges with the potential to come away with nothing if you don't make it past the first checkpoint or whatever?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
they probably aren't worth the time if you're not an online DD player, but the rewards you get are pretty good for the time involved. they're the best way to get both stars for the inning challenges and team affinity points, both of which can net you lots of virtual baseball currency and or excellent players.

i think they're pretty fun too but the overall reviews seem pretty mixed.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

bewbies posted:

they probably aren't worth the time if you're not an online DD player, but the rewards you get are pretty good for the time involved. they're the best way to get both stars for the inning challenges and team affinity points, both of which can net you lots of virtual baseball currency and or excellent players.

i think they're pretty fun too but the overall reviews seem pretty mixed.

The starter one you can do for free was enjoyable for sure, but the 1k cost of entry is just so crazy to me. Why do all of them absolutely have to be 1k to enter? Why could they not have made other ones you can do for free? I understand not wanting to upset the game economy by giving out good players for free but this is a really excessive measure to take considering that a pack costs 1500.

I heard good things about DD and was excited to play it, but it feels like the devs seemingly did everything they possibly could to discourage new players to The Show from playing it. Like "here are some challenges that take an hour to grind out and also we're going to stifle your progression by charging coins to enter, OH and as a fun bonus, you might just not get anything at all, sucker." You basically have to suck it up and buy PP right off the jump or just hate your life while you play terrible baseball against juiced up AI.

There's no way to play the DD season mode other than the online ranked seasons, so I can't even play a season against the AI with my DD team while making progress towards anything except for doing the one-off vs. CPU games in Extended Play. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of depth. I have no interest in the Battle Royale mode or Conquest modes, I just wanted to have a team to build and grow while playing the game my own way. I can do this in FIFA, Madden, NHL, NBA....but not The Show.

Maybe I'm just not approaching things the right way. What are the best ways for a new player to improve their DD team? Straight up ranked season? I really do enjoy the core gameplay and I'm not trying to poo poo on the game at all, but my expectations have been totally shattered and that's probably my fault for not doing some more in-depth research as to what the connected team gamemodes actually entailed.

The obvious answer is "git gud", of course, I just wasn't expecting to get slapped with that so early on in my adventure here :V

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From the perspective of someone who is probably 50/50 on winning showdowns... You net plenty of stubs if you win, I think you need to win maybe 1/3-1/2 of them to break even and it's the best offline way to get XP and program stars, plus the Team Affinity stubs are much better than doing March to October. I skip them though because for me they're more stressful than fun. A lot of the complaints come from close games where you absolutely crush a few perfect/perfects and they one-hop rocket into double plays. Sure, that's baseball and it happens, but when playing a video game and you do everything right and don't "win" you get annoyed, especially in Showdowns because the big reward is all or nothing,

As someone who never plays online I feel the same way about not having enough offline options to actually play with your team in a rewarding manner. That being said, don't sleep on Conquests, they're a great way to play with your own DD team while getting a ton of (low) diamonds. I also love the 3 inning format to get in and out of games quick. The player programs are also a good way to improve your DD team, although you don't really get to play as your team other than every one has a "beat the player's team you're trying to get on All-Star." Some of the moment's in multi-game series suck, but just quit to the dashboard before a game ends if you're behind schedule.