Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Stefan Prodan posted:

lol wait so you must have scored uhh at least 34 runs in one inning to not have mercied them earlier??

Mercy rule doesn't kick in until the end of the 4th.

So...yeah. I was absolutely getting all my missions done. I could have done more, but I was getting bored.

If it was a bot, it knew how to bunt. Which is OP, with how the fielders react by scattering like roaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The monthly awards cards are now in packs instead of the topps now program we used to get. Pretty crazy this series went from one of the more generous to this in one game.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 2, 2024

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Seltzer posted:

The monthly awards cards are now in packs instead of the topps now program we used to get. Pretty crazy this series went from one of the more generous to this in one game.

A lot of this game rides on me feeling like I can complete the Season collection NMS, so it's on them if they want me to keep playing. This is a pile of cards but usually they start throwing these early pack cards into programs and such to really water down their value, and so far they're just putting them into Vault Packs that show up in Events or last tier of Ranked.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Mercy rule doesn't kick in until the end of the 4th.

So...yeah. I was absolutely getting all my missions done. I could have done more, but I was getting bored.

If it was a bot, it knew how to bunt. Which is OP, with how the fielders react by scattering like roaches.

oh huh never knew that

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

A lot of this game rides on me feeling like I can complete the Season collection NMS, so it's on them if they want me to keep playing. This is a pile of cards but usually they start throwing these early pack cards into programs and such to really water down their value, and so far they're just putting them into Vault Packs that show up in Events or last tier of Ranked.

It's poo poo. Every other edition there used to be a lot of achievable cards you could unlock and flip for coins. Now there's basically none. The only way to get coins now without spending money is hoping for a big hit in a normal pack. In a week of playing casually I've gone from like 4k coins to 10k coins and added one card to my squad and its not even a great one. You simply cant get started building an ok team this year without buying packs. Last year you'd get the boss packs pretty early and could flip like two of them for 80k then if you wanted to buy any of them for 20k a month later.

Still pissed off about how they handled the captains. They were so easy to get last year and aside from my main team I had about 3 team themed teams that I'd use for fun and they were all simple to get and assemble.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm making decent NMS progress on Live series cards. My only big pull so far has been Acuna. To a lesser extent I should include Mantle and Donaldson. My Season One collection is at 83 cards with all of Season Affinity One, all Conquests, and all Programs other than the new Topps Now finished.

I'm really disliking most of the packs being solely behind stubs right now. Not to mention regular packs are feeling pretty light. But I'll say this much, SDS seems to listen when the fanbase gets upset. Which according to Twitter, all the big name players are raising a stink about half the cards being stuck behind Stubs Only Packs.

I'm interested to see if they course-correct, as they've done so in the past when the community points out bullshit.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Ive made decent progress, and have a decent bankroll on top of it, and I think their plan this year was to throw out a lot more packs, but practically if they're going to throw so many cards into shop packs only they need to throttle up stubs earning or down the pack cost.

I can roll to the store and buy up a dozen or two silver and gold S1 cards to collect from BR program or pack fillers, but there are over a dozen cards that you literally cannot get from packs because they released them that way but don't maintain a way to fill your collection after they roll off. If they never come back, it's going to be incredibly hard to get those last 30 cards because of the scarcity pinch.

Right now it doesn't feel great. I did buy one of the pack cards (the DH Season Award card that helps you get to challenges done + collection bonus).

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I am not great at this game, so I switched from Buxton to Arenado as my cornerstone. I really like it because I cannot hit well with low vision players. I'm getting a lot more perfect perfects and good swings with the slightly more forgiving timing windows. I also really like Arenado's swing and hit well with him despite his not great attributes. Team is definitely slow, though, so I'm only using the T2 boost to get a few more players of my choice in the lineup.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Is anyone’s progress just gone? I logged on this morning and it is showing me as having 0 stubs and it wants me to create a new DD team

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

https://twitter.com/MLBTheShow/status/1775898553518575991

yeah there's a bug that's unlinking your MLB the show account from the console account

https://twitter.com/TheScann/status/1775789843374657607

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
My step son is playing the real Vlad Guerro and Homer Bush Jr. in the show.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 5, 2024

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Ugh this sucks but there's an exploit right now in co op where you can play with Real99 cards

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Oh. Well that blows. He was so excited.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

davecrazy posted:

Oh. Well that blows. He was so excited.

Let him believe!

I got to play Wild Rift once with Cesari on my team and I was hyped for a week (I carried his rear end)

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

He’s a teenager, he can handle the truth.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

davecrazy posted:

My step son is playing the real Vlad Guerro and Homer Bush Jr. in the show.

Were those the only two Real 99s?

Because it very well could have been them if it was only those two. Vladdy is a big time gamer. I say that, because Homer Bush Jr is a very obscure minor leaguer for someone to use with the exploit.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Were those the only two Real 99s?

Because it very well could have been them if it was only those two. Vladdy is a big time gamer. I say that, because Homer Bush Jr is a very obscure minor leaguer for someone to use with the exploit.

Why would Vladdy be playing an online (guessing co-op) game with an obscure minor leaguer?

I think players have to request their Real99s, so my guess is both play The Show and that's why you can get their cards at all.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Genuinely wondering how people who didnt pre order or get super lucky in a pack are getting any coins/progressing the program. I've gotten and opened like 100 packs since I last posted and got 1 diamond (88 that goes for 6k lol) and I still haven't got to the hitter captain yet. I've done every conquest, done a lot of the programs and play a decent amount. It's night and day compared to last year at the moment I regard to lack of progression and coins. I have 23k coins and it's just kinda destroying my desire to play. I haven't played much online because I want to build a team but It's kinda impossible to build a respectable team offline atm. I'll get the Padres Pitcher and hitter captain and make a team around that and if im feeling annoyed still i might throw in the towel until something changes with xp/coin accumulation.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 6, 2024

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
idk I'm at 450k but I also did both event programs and the BR program and the nation of baseball and all the TA

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

idk I'm at 450k but I also did both event programs and the BR program and the nation of baseball and all the TA

That sounds like a lot more game time than me. I think online is much better for xp and coins this year visa vis offline than it was last year. But yeah I was comparing my own progress to last year and its way less on the program and coins with similar amounts of play.

Anyways the good news is complaining works apparently because I packed Yordan Alvarez rn who goes for ~100k. Can flip that into a bunch of nice cards now.

e- what day/time of day is best for selling?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

That sounds like a lot more game time than me. I think online is much better for xp and coins this year visa vis offline than it was last year. But yeah I was comparing my own progress to last year and its way less on the program and coins with similar amounts of play.

Anyways the good news is complaining works apparently because I packed Yordan Alvarez rn who goes for ~100k. Can flip that into a bunch of nice cards now.

e- what day/time of day is best for selling?

Yeah I always no-life the game for a couple weeks when it first comes out and use the time to catch up on TV shows while I do the conquest and TA, last year it was yellowjackets and boston legal, this year I watched Blackbird, Hijack, and some youtube stuff and listened to a bunch of albums I'd never listened to

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

See I'm trying this thing where I don't binge a single show but rotate through a half dozen with an episode a day, so I've got One Piece, Simpsons, Seinfeld, X-Files, Suits, Scubs, Person of Interest and a handful of other schlock that's old and I mostly missed.

Anyway, selling is best between 7-10 Eastern.

I've done all conquest, about 3 mini seasons, and every program. I had done all offline stuff as of yesterday but the three new NLB Stories came out today so I've gotta do those. Otherwise did all of the Season Awards drop program tonight. I think this year may be sneaky fine, as I've gotten decent progress on collections and such and have a decent bankroll (but it hasn't grown and I'm not going to flip cards this year). But I definitely think it feels rough with the packs being focused to the stores and seeing this firehose of cards you won't get and are being priced too roughly.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

See I'm trying this thing where I don't binge a single show but rotate through a half dozen with an episode a day, so I've got One Piece, Simpsons, Seinfeld, X-Files, Suits, Scubs, Person of Interest and a handful of other schlock that's old and I mostly missed.

Anyway, selling is best between 7-10 Eastern.

I've done all conquest, about 3 mini seasons, and every program. I had done all offline stuff as of yesterday but the three new NLB Stories came out today so I've gotta do those. Otherwise did all of the Season Awards drop program tonight. I think this year may be sneaky fine, as I've gotten decent progress on collections and such and have a decent bankroll (but it hasn't grown and I'm not going to flip cards this year). But I definitely think it feels rough with the packs being focused to the stores and seeing this firehose of cards you won't get and are being priced too roughly.

If you want some real awful shlock, I think Bones was the worst show I ever watched the most of

I watched like 4 or 5 season of that show and it's so bad, lol

It sounds like you're mostly saying shows that I think are good though to be honest, but maybe you meant the schlock is other shows

Oh yeah I also watched The Curse this year and boy was that something

What I do for flipping is just every time I log in or when I'm about to play a game I just put up a couple buy or sell orders, whatever's appropriate, and it does add up, I probably get a few sales a day so it's like an extra 5-6k a day whenever I'm playing. I have the Braves done and like 180k in the bank so that's decent.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

If you want some real awful shlock, I think Bones was the worst show I ever watched the most of

I watched like 4 or 5 season of that show and it's so bad, lol

It sounds like you're mostly saying shows that I think are good though to be honest, but maybe you meant the schlock is other shows

Oh yeah I also watched The Curse this year and boy was that something

The tail of my list is Blacklist, which is an exceptionally dumb show that is perfectly fine as a background watch, and Gossip Girl, which is bad in ways I'm not used to because it's very much a genre I never watch and I find it really entertaining so far, but I seldom watch enough in a day to push that far.

Bones isn't far from my list but I probably won't but it until I clear out some of these shows at the top. Only think I'm nearly finished on is the Simpsons, which I've watched from the beginning over a few years now. And it's better now (~2021 technically) than it was in the mid 2000s but it's straining and creaking under it's age, less in the writing at this point and more from the cast.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Captain Log posted:

Beat what I pray was a bot or toddler 43-0 in ranked yesterday.

I’ll admit, going from thirty to seventy-three stars in one game was loving nice. Ranked, with my pitching staff, is stressful. At least I’m in All Star now, where pitchers throwing below 103 can get some strikes.

Hey I found them too!

https://x.com/JeffKrisko/status/1777723110269374480

It was nice to get past Clutch in 4 games played because of it

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Spoeank posted:

Hey I found them too!

https://x.com/JeffKrisko/status/1777723110269374480

It was nice to get past Clutch in 4 games played because of it

It's glorious, isn't it?

Also, I've had such an impossible to maintain 10 - 1 start to ranked seasons.

I am not good enough to keep this up, and way overdue to get absolutely stomped.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh drat that's great dude! I started last year pretty hot and it weirdly like made me more hesitant to play ranked cause I didn't want to ruin it, haha. I ended up like 18-4.

This year I'm already like 18-13 so I don't even give a gently caress which is nice, but last year I only played with my best team and this year I'm using ranked to grind topps now and that sort of thing with no captain so it's a big difference when you're missing all those power boosts and stuff.

I did get mercied twice but I mean I just ran into guys that were hitting like .550 and using Randy and I just can't hit Randy online yet

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'm one of the guys that's really turned off by how slow everything seems to be going. I know Friday is all new stuff but I haven't played in like a week, and I usually play all year round almost every day.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I also think it's slow. Ive leaned into it by playing other stuff but it feels like there's less reward paths being thrown out this year. I'm hoping the more "relaxed" pace keeps me playing longer (and I bet they are too).

I do wish they were a little less overcorrecting year over year.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

It's literally about 4 times as slow as last year. As I said before, I like the powercurve dialed back but they didn't have to make everything so hard to get this time. Over correction. Even doing basic 88 topps card reward paths take longer and are more difficult. Captains being impossible toget just adds to the frustration.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Seltzer posted:

It's literally about 4 times as slow as last year. As I said before, I like the powercurve dialed back but they didn't have to make everything so hard to get this time. Over correction. Even doing basic 88 topps card reward paths take longer and are more difficult. Captains being impossible toget just adds to the frustration.

If the Monthly Grind is less bad so that the weekly can be a little rougher, that is fine with me, especially since it's already a mix of weekly programs last year and Tops Now moment grinds.

It's all these new sets, which should just have simple programs with a card and a card pack reward in them for these throwbacks. But they got it into their head that what all programs need are like 7 cards that you unlock and then progress with rather than just giving a pack and progressing a single card and letting whales buy packs to progress faster.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The community is pretty outraged with half the content being gated by packs which cannot be earned anywhere.

I’ll say this much - sometimes they listen. I think this next month will let us know if this is one of those times.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You can still pretty easily do the awards players without spending very many coins although you will have to pay a little bit to rent a pitcher for a game or two, if you just buy one of the topps now or season awards pitchers whatever's appropriate and use them to do the missions which gets you a lot of stars then sell them back you get a bunch of topps now players and you can use those to finish the missions in ranked or against the CPU in conquest or whatever

Honestly since I didn't use buy or sell now I probably broke even buying the player, using them, then selling them after the price went down for a bit but like at the buy now price

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 11, 2024

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

there's also a little bit of me wondering on the 99 thing because apparently we already have someone who has all the 99s in the XP reward path, and this friday with the 30 new cards in team affinity chapter 2 it'll technically be enough to get the first of the collection rewards

A month in and releasing enough cards (mostly through packs you have to buy) to get the seasons bosses feels pretty loving early given that there's like 2 months left in the season

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh drat that's great dude! I started last year pretty hot and it weirdly like made me more hesitant to play ranked cause I didn't want to ruin it, haha. I ended up like 18-4.

This year I'm already like 18-13 so I don't even give a gently caress which is nice, but last year I only played with my best team and this year I'm using ranked to grind topps now and that sort of thing with no captain so it's a big difference when you're missing all those power boosts and stuff.

I did get mercied twice but I mean I just ran into guys that were hitting like .550 and using Randy and I just can't hit Randy online yet

Whoops, I meant to respond to this post.

My record has me way too nervous, so I know what you mean! I'm sitting in Wild Card, and it only took eleven games to get the World Series pack. I've got to intent to play more ranked until after Team Affinity Two has been out for a bit. While I do all my practicing on Hall of Fame, I'll get cooked whenever I bump up to that difficulty for a game or two.

I think my best BR run so far has been maybe 7-1. That mode has too many absolute goons, mixed in with people who play so bizarrely it's hard to predict.

Now that events max out at an 85-89 player, I normally just reset my run when I need to plug in different cards for grinding.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

TheFlyingLlama posted:

there's also a little bit of me wondering on the 99 thing because apparently we already have someone who has all the 99s in the XP reward path, and this friday with the 30 new cards in team affinity chapter 2 it'll technically be enough to get the first of the collection rewards

A month in and releasing enough cards (mostly through packs you have to buy) to get the seasons bosses feels pretty loving early given that there's like 2 months left in the season

Probably the only way to be that far along is to max out all online programs and hit XP cap daily. If someone is grinding like that I don't care if they have all 99s and are sitting in WS, since I shouldn't be running into them.

They'd definitely get a big positive vibe if they threw a pack into this week's Topps Now, even if it's a previous week's pack.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is there anything like online leagues with team creation and fantasy drafts or is the bulk of this game just grinding for points and cards? I've never explored the more grindy elements of this game and don't think I care to.

A 12 team goon league would be super cool I think.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Is there anything like online leagues with team creation and fantasy drafts or is the bulk of this game just grinding for points and cards? I've never explored the more grindy elements of this game and don't think I care to.

A 12 team goon league would be super cool I think.

I have no idea if this is possible but i agree it would be sick and I'd be immediately in

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'd be super excited to do that, but I don't think that's been a feature for a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Anyone enjoying TA:2 so far? I've only unlocked one card, but it's like Dominos. I'll have a bunch more unlocked soon.

Also, doing No Money Spent collections is a little hosed. I'm down to the teams with 90 overalls, and sell all my excess cards every night. I've got maybe 40K stubs, and six teams with at least one 90 overall. This poo poo is going to take a while, but at least TA:2 has more high value packs in it.

Their dropped Ranked missions in two batches also means I'm barely going to play ranked until the second batch drops. If I'm trying to complete the program through points, it makes the most sense to play when I can double-dip.