Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I do wish I could play a franchise mode with my DD team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

What are the best ways for a new player to improve their DD team?

Definitely conquest games. Those maps give probably...30k stubs per? While being virtually un-loseable. Make sure you've done all the innings points things too...those players are fantastic and really fun to play with, or you can sell them for a bundle. I can't tell you how many guys I've played who have Mantle/Thames/Biggio/Sheffield lineups along with "blood diamond" levels but who are straight trash at the actual online game. They've done a SHITLOAD of single player games to get that stuff. Like, to the point where I wonder about their well-being socially. In any case, there's a ton of content there that doesn't involve playing other people.

I had a similar existential crisis earlier this year when they nerfed the hitting and I was just so over losing 1-0 to loving Kluber every game. I started playing each MLB team in extended play, which was actually pretty fun. There aren't any standings or anything but player stats still count which was nice, and the CPU on HoF is a tough opponent plus those games have pretty decent rewards.

DD is definitely geared towards online play though, so if you're more into single player other game modes might be more fun.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 10, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I started the 5th Inning conquest map, immediately wiped the Cubs and Athletics off the left side of the board, got 8 regular packs, a special pack of some kind, and a classic stadium pack, not to mention a sizable amount of coins. Not bad. Bretty good. If the others are like this then I can see what you're saying for sure, it didn't take a whole lot for me to earn those rewards at all

also, I realized you can skip the "steal fans" phase and pretty much just focus on playing a small game of Settlers of Catan until you can reinforce a tile enough to take a crack at a stronghold on Veteran or lower (because I'm a little baby and can barely eke out 1-0 or 2-1 wins on Veteran)

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 10, 2020

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the meta way to winning conquest is absolutely "get as many territories as you want/need, skip turns until you have enough fans for a quick battle on the stronghold, win that.

Basically you just do enough steal fans for the mission and only do anything differently if there's specifically a "conquer this stronghold by however many turns".

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The CPU will only attack if they have at least a +2 advantage on your hex and since your reinforce stage is after theirs you can easily make sure you only use the minimum amount to reinforce and leave the rest for your “attacking” hex.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

KDdidit posted:

The CPU will only attack if they have at least a +2 advantage on your hex and since your reinforce stage is after theirs you can easily make sure you only use the minimum amount to reinforce and leave the rest for your “attacking” hex.

They also want to almost completely surround you, or at least did in previous years.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Since I don't get to let Kluber loose very often since I only play off line, it was fun to do the HoF game for the Ruth program. Since it's on that weird Moments settings, you can drag bunt to your hearts content.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
For the love of everything holy I can not beat the NL Showdown. I'm absolutely convinced there is some tilt factor built in where I can breeze through every mission just fine and I get to one of the showdown pitchers and it is just an unending stream of perfect contacts into double plays. I have tried three times and the latest one I tied the pitcher after the first few hitters and then went 12 outs in a row with no more runs. Three double plays, two warning track fly balls, a couple line drives directly at people. It's loving stupid.

Just please add events at higher skill levels. I would love to lose a shitload of fake coins entering legendary events so long as I felt I was losing fairly

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think I’m 0-4 in Inning showdowns and 4-0 in League/Division TA ones. The CPU really tries to kick you in the dick with double play animations too. Routine double play? Nope, you get a 2nd baseman no look behind the back flipping to a shortstop barehanding the catch and firing all while you’re barely out of the box.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm about 2/3 of the way through the babe Ruth challenge. this poo poo is a grind

I will say I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Tim tebow take the field for the all-time Mets squad

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I finished all the Hall of Fame ones without ever having played on that difficulty in the like eight years of this series. Kinda proud of that. Tried to do the American League ones and got to Kluber and Mize back to back and my brain fried

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Babe Ruth trip report: is good. He's OPSing 1800 over his first 7 games. Also Tom Seaver is probably now the best RHP in the game. One of the weird things about HoF difficulty level is the AI has a hell of a time throwing strikes if the pitcher's control is below 80 or so...if you're just super patient you'll usually get a walk or two an inning.

Other good value cards out there right now:

- Platoon Bagwell/Thome at 1B. Or, more cheaply, Kingman/McGriff.
- Stanton and Judge home run derby cards; they're like 50k per and absolutely crush the ball. Stanton is a garbage fielder though.
- George Brett best 3B
- Chris Sale's live card is a great LHRP. The wonky delivery really messes with people, especially when you're replacing a RHP. This might be cheesy but meh.
- Kenny Lofton's 98 card can bunt like hell, steal bases, and play great CF defense.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has there been anything new on the Show 21? Probably safe to assume the game has been delayed because new console generation, COVID, plus its also coming to Xbox, and PC?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the only thing we have is a tweet saying news is coming in February

https://twitter.com/MLBTheShow/status/1350197953625948160

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Isn't this the year The Show might be coming to Switch and other platforms? I wonder if that has anything to do with holding back info a bit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think it's coming to the Switch, but it's for sure in development for Xbox, and PC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Show 21 has a release date finally https://theshow.com/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=all&utm_campaign=reveal&utm_content=tatis&emcid=vi-pi-271373 4/20/21*

*nice

[edit]
No PC or Switch version has been announced though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a technical test sign up, the test lets you try out the Series X / PS5 versions too https://theshow.com/mlb-the-show-21-technical-test/

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

There's no The Show 21 thread yet, but count me as someone who hates how Sony was forced by MLB to release their game on an inferior platform. They had to remove features (namely Sounds of the Show and Year to Year saves) I loved from previous versions of the game on the new PS5 version just because the Xbox doesn't support them and MLB required feature parity.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ihatepants posted:

There's no The Show 21 thread yet, but count me as someone who hates how Sony was forced by MLB to release their game on an inferior platform. They had to remove features (namely Sounds of the Show and Year to Year saves) I loved from previous versions of the game on the new PS5 version just because the Xbox doesn't support them and MLB required feature parity.

As an avid The Show player I am personally thrilled to get this on Xbox so I can embarrass all the people online who haven't played a real baseball game in a decade.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Will DD logos get migrated from 20 -> 21? I really don't want to lose my Diamond Dogs logo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ihatepants posted:

I put all of this work into my player on the Show 20 with the assumption that I can bring him over to the Show 21, and then I saw the official FAQ that talks about this. :( Not that I didn't have fun with the Show 20, and I still have some more playing to do before moving onto Show 21 next week, but i'm a little sad about starting all over again.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
No year to year saves means I am likely never buying another game again. I have a pitcher I have been working on since like The Show 14 or something and I am not giving him up. But they honestly have been pushing me out with the archtype bullshit and attribute caps. I spent 5 in-game years turning my guy into a 99-across-the-board demi-god and it's a goddamn video game and if I want to do that I should be able to.

Not to mention getting rid of being able to turn off variable strike zone and making me blow no hitters when I drop a 3-2 change a half a ball inside the black low and in and it gets called a ball.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 15, 2021

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I hear rtts sucks this year? Confirm/deny

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

you can only have one RTTS character this year because they're also your DD created guy. Said guy starts as a two way player and you have to explicitly say "no I don't want to two way" if you don't want to do that. Stats are honestly super limited and built around DD like archtypes that you have to level up with DD and RTTS play. You can still theoretically level up stats in game play but (in honestly only like 5 or 6 games so I can't say for certain) seems to be slowed down so the DD archtype/ bonus cards things you can get are more meaningful.

rtts is bad now and I hate it I just want to make a big beefy lad who can hit .500/.505/1.500 with 50 home runs at the all star break is that too much to ask? Yes, because that would be OP in DD a totally different mode I even remotely want my RTTS player to have to play sure

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
yeah absolutely never buying this game again, just riding out 20 until my ps4 burns out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Two years old? :thunk:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Sounds like they made the same mistake 2k did with their mycareer

That’s really disappointing so I’ll be skipping this installment

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

if you are a primary RTTS or franchise player 100% do not buy the show 21. DD is fun, and if you're a primary DD player... lets be real you're gonna get it anyways, but for everyone else it is absolutely not worth full price and honestly idk if it's even gonna be worth the 20 bucks it'll cost on sale in all star weekend.

The only silver lining is that frankly they're taking a LOT of poo poo on socials for how bad they've hosed up RTTS so hopefully it goes back to not being trash after this year...hopefully

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TheFlyingLlama posted:

if you are a primary RTTS or franchise player 100% do not buy the show 21. DD is fun, and if you're a primary DD player... lets be real you're gonna get it anyways, but for everyone else it is absolutely not worth full price and honestly idk if it's even gonna be worth the 20 bucks it'll cost on sale in all star weekend.

The only silver lining is that frankly they're taking a LOT of poo poo on socials for how bad they've hosed up RTTS so hopefully it goes back to not being trash after this year...hopefully

I haven’t tried RTTS yet but from what I have read it is for a specific player now. If you want to only play a single RTTS player and not multiple ones while also not being a 99 demigod then RTTS is for you. So yeah, if you’re like 6% of the player base you are good.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Lots of other stuff is hosed up and you really have to pay attention to your runners or they will be the most bone headed bitches ever. Today I had a guy go halfway between first and second on a foul out to first base.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Grem posted:

Lots of other stuff is hosed up and you really have to pay attention to your runners or they will be the most bone headed bitches ever. Today I had a guy go halfway between first and second on a foul out to first base.
If AI baserunners are dumber than they are in 20 it's honestly kind of impressive.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
AI in general is intensely hosed up. Had a popfly to right field last night where the RF ran for a solid 2-3 seconds in the exact opposite direction before the game gave me control of the player, at which point it was too late to get under the ball and turned the play into an RBI double.

Right now the great scam is taking diamond Pedro Martinez, pitching him in the rotation, then swapping him out for silver Pedro from the pen, because they hosed up roster restrictions and you can have both on your active roster at the same time :laffo:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm really bad at this game. I made a dude on RTTS but I'm hitting like 150 or something after a bunch of games lol.

Any tips for hitting with the pci? I've tried just sitting on a spot and I've tried moving it mid pitch but both haven't yielded especially good results for me. I have it on Dynamic so it should theoretically be easy since the game should recognize I'm rear end but it actually seems pretty hard? Or is it just because my stats are so low?

It's my first time playing this series so maybe I just need to practice more. The last baseball game I had that I seriously played was like Mvp baseball 2005 :v:. They haven't had a good one for xbox until this year so I just haven't bothered.

One thing that is annoying the hell out of me is the computer is just all over the god damned place with its pitches. I guess I should just be more patient at the plate but they're so unpredictable that it's hard to even know what they're gonna do. They'll miss badly four times in a row on one at bat and then paint the corners on the next. And their pitch selection feels rather random too.

I'm pretty sure the biggest problem is I'm just bad though.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

PCI hitting comes down to patience and knowing both your tendencies as a hitter as well as the pitch repertoire of whoever is on the mound. If you're up against a guy like Pedro Martinez who has an absolutely nasty slider and 4-seam fastball, then you gotta watch his wind up and delivery and see where that ball is going. Same thing for a guy who throws a knuckleball or a 12-6 curve, once you start learning which players lean towards which pitches, it gets a little easier to know what you have to do. Like last night, I was doing a conquest and had to go up against the Yankees AI with Gerrit Cole pitching. Gerrit Cole throws a power fastball and a good slider, and at least in my experience, loves to throw low and inside, so letting the PCI rest a little lower in the zone and then flicking up if you have to is the way to go.

It might help to go into settings and gently caress around with your PCI display too. I found that once I disabled the larger, outer ring portion, that I focused more on getting the center of the PCI on the ball resulting in better contact on swings. And then of course it also comes down to patience, waiting for the right pitch, and practice. I find that I'm getting better at putting the PCI where I want it, but having trouble getting the timing of swings down.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

One thing that is annoying the hell out of me is the computer is just all over the god damned place with its pitches. I guess I should just be more patient at the plate but they're so unpredictable that it's hard to even know what they're gonna do. They'll miss badly four times in a row on one at bat and then paint the corners on the next. And their pitch selection feels rather random too.

Just wait until you have to hit World Series DD players who all have blood diamond cyborgs :/

I've been playing Show for years but have sort of reconciled myself to the fact that between job and kids and lack of natural talent and age that I'll never have the coordination elite players do when it comes to getting the PCI on the ball. It is legit incredible what those people are capable of. Anyway, since I can't do that, I kind of...cheat with my PCI. I'll decide for this AB I'm waiting for a specific pitch -- maybe one they've thrown for strikes a couple times in the previous ABs; and until I have 2 strikes, I ain't swingin at nothin else. This does two things: it lets me target what my opponent probably thinks is a quality pitch (and might scare them away from using it for a bit) and it also gets my PCI on the ball in a way my thumb and eyes never could. This approach was good enough to regularly make the WS last year; I think Ted Williams had the most ABs for me and he slashed like 310/400/650 or something. Which, if you see what elite players do...isn't that impressive, but it was adequate.

Anyway, here's three general tips that helped me a lot.

1) You get 3 strikes. Use all 3. Like I described above, pick a pitch and wait on it. The AI will almost ALWAYS throw at least one meatball in a 5+ pitch AB, you just have to be ready for it. Other favorites of mine are the high-inside fastball (home run or hard liner), the low-middle curve/change that doesn't bottom out (home run), and the slider that catches the outside edge (hard liner the opposite way). Even if a pitch is in the zone, if it isn't one you can get your bat to, you don't need to swing at it if you're not at 2 strikes. If I'm down in the count with 2 strikes, I'll usually stop trying to move the PCI and just contact swing until the count is even up or 3-2, then start hunting for a pitch.

2) Work on pitch recognition. Part of this is recognizing tendencies, part of it is knowing what the pitch looks like coming out of the hand, part of it is knowing how the pitcher's stuff works. The latter is harder until later on when EVERYONE has the same half-dozen pitchers, but all the pitch types look basically the same. Being able to quickly recognize change/curve and lay off, or HIGHFASTBALLGOTTASWINGNOW goes a long way to giving you a few more ms of reaction time. Also look for pitchers who have good pitch combos....Kluber's slurve/sinker combo last year was just disgusting from like May all the way to the end of the game. They were impossible for me to tell apart until it was halfway to home plate, and I faced Kluber a LOT.

3) Find the pitcher's release point, and focus in the distance behind it. This helps a lot with #2; it also helps offset pitchers with dumbass motions like Cishek. You don't exactly focus on the ball...more like, the area around the ball. It is hard to describe in text, but give it a shot without swinging and you'll see what I mean.

I'd recommend setting your own difficulty, that's the best way to see if what you're doing is effective.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

barnold posted:

PCI hitting comes down to patience and knowing both your tendencies as a hitter as well as the pitch repertoire of whoever is on the mound. If you're up against a guy like Pedro Martinez who has an absolutely nasty slider and 4-seam fastball, then you gotta watch his wind up and delivery and see where that ball is going. Same thing for a guy who throws a knuckleball or a 12-6 curve, once you start learning which players lean towards which pitches, it gets a little easier to know what you have to do. Like last night, I was doing a conquest and had to go up against the Yankees AI with Gerrit Cole pitching. Gerrit Cole throws a power fastball and a good slider, and at least in my experience, loves to throw low and inside, so letting the PCI rest a little lower in the zone and then flicking up if you have to is the way to go.

It might help to go into settings and gently caress around with your PCI display too. I found that once I disabled the larger, outer ring portion, that I focused more on getting the center of the PCI on the ball resulting in better contact on swings. And then of course it also comes down to patience, waiting for the right pitch, and practice. I find that I'm getting better at putting the PCI where I want it, but having trouble getting the timing of swings down.

Yeah maybe I should mess around with that. I think I finally found a camera I like (strike zone 3), but I haven't figured out the pci yet. As for pitcher tendencies, that is probably something I could work on. I've tried to see where the computer is targeting in the zone and then sit on that location but of course they'll pound 5 pitches low in one at bat and then the next everything is up in the zone. So that can be frustrating.

bewbies posted:

Just wait until you have to hit World Series DD players who all have blood diamond cyborgs :/

I've been playing Show for years but have sort of reconciled myself to the fact that between job and kids and lack of natural talent and age that I'll never have the coordination elite players do when it comes to getting the PCI on the ball. It is legit incredible what those people are capable of. Anyway, since I can't do that, I kind of...cheat with my PCI. I'll decide for this AB I'm waiting for a specific pitch -- maybe one they've thrown for strikes a couple times in the previous ABs; and until I have 2 strikes, I ain't swingin at nothin else. This does two things: it lets me target what my opponent probably thinks is a quality pitch (and might scare them away from using it for a bit) and it also gets my PCI on the ball in a way my thumb and eyes never could. This approach was good enough to regularly make the WS last year; I think Ted Williams had the most ABs for me and he slashed like 310/400/650 or something. Which, if you see what elite players do...isn't that impressive, but it was adequate.

Anyway, here's three general tips that helped me a lot.

1) You get 3 strikes. Use all 3. Like I described above, pick a pitch and wait on it. The AI will almost ALWAYS throw at least one meatball in a 5+ pitch AB, you just have to be ready for it. Other favorites of mine are the high-inside fastball (home run or hard liner), the low-middle curve/change that doesn't bottom out (home run), and the slider that catches the outside edge (hard liner the opposite way). Even if a pitch is in the zone, if it isn't one you can get your bat to, you don't need to swing at it if you're not at 2 strikes. If I'm down in the count with 2 strikes, I'll usually stop trying to move the PCI and just contact swing until the count is even up or 3-2, then start hunting for a pitch.

2) Work on pitch recognition. Part of this is recognizing tendencies, part of it is knowing what the pitch looks like coming out of the hand, part of it is knowing how the pitcher's stuff works. The latter is harder until later on when EVERYONE has the same half-dozen pitchers, but all the pitch types look basically the same. Being able to quickly recognize change/curve and lay off, or HIGHFASTBALLGOTTASWINGNOW goes a long way to giving you a few more ms of reaction time. Also look for pitchers who have good pitch combos....Kluber's slurve/sinker combo last year was just disgusting from like May all the way to the end of the game. They were impossible for me to tell apart until it was halfway to home plate, and I faced Kluber a LOT.

3) Find the pitcher's release point, and focus in the distance behind it. This helps a lot with #2; it also helps offset pitchers with dumbass motions like Cishek. You don't exactly focus on the ball...more like, the area around the ball. It is hard to describe in text, but give it a shot without swinging and you'll see what I mean.

I'd recommend setting your own difficulty, that's the best way to see if what you're doing is effective.

Thanks. Yeah I definitely need to be more patient. I've been way too aggressive early in counts. I am a patient hitter in actual baseball so I dunno why I just hack in these games but sometimes I get into a bad habit with that and especially when I'm struggling. I think I might start sitting on a location more like you are doing as well. That used to be my approach in older baseball games anyways and I always did well with it so maybe I should go back to that instead of jerking my pci around.

I too am past my video game prime so I dunno if I'll ever get to the point where I can just reaction move the pci to a spot like these wiz kids are doing. I don't wanna be Babe Ruth at this game but I'd like to at least be a decent hitter. I'm sure I'll get better over time though it's only my first time even playing this series as this is the first time it came out on xbox.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I recommend for the first strike if you want to learn to take more pitches, take your thumb completely off the left stick and only hit X if it's coming right down the middle.

You also, imo, want to prime your brain for the first two strikes that I am NOT going to swing, and then rely on your lizard brain to go NO WE GOTTA SWING AT THIS ONE if it comes down the middle, and usually it will

And yeah just do a ton of batting practice, there's no substitute for it, it's a hard game but rewarding to hit in. Really focus on getting good timing, the things that determine exit velocity are like how far above/below the middle of the PCI your hit is, and your timing. It's generally more important to match the ball vertically on the PCI than horizontally, which makes sense if you think about what you're actually doing which is hitting it with a long relatively thin object. So really try to match the ball's height and get a good swing timing.

Oh yeah, good players also have said in youtubes don't use contact or power swings ever, I tend to agree unless you are just trying to foul pitches off with contact

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Rtts is getting some fixes

https://realsport101.com/mlb-the-show/mlb-the-show-21-road-to-the-show-update-patch-notes-ballplayer-loadouts-diamond-dynasty/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

This game needs a seriously major nerf to AI fielding. I guess SDS thinks that MLB infielders just do a magical sideways Star Trek teleport to get to line drives hit to the gap. It should not be this difficult to get a base hit. Makes the game play more arcadey than loving Super Mega Baseball, like you're either batting around a guy with back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs or your 125mph line drives are getting snagged by a 68 OVR bronze infielder out of nowhere