Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Being an average player who only does Diamond Dynasty offline really sucks. I can’t even do the 1st inning challenge. I mean, I’m close and I don’t feel like I’m never going to complete it, but the one and done part sucks. At least the 1st inning one is free, I want no part of the ones that cost Stubs. I lose all time in 2K’s my team and it’s fine. You lose some contracts and whatever. The big frustration is with The Show where you can time things pretty well and there still a decent chance the ball you hit on the screws will be an out. You time a jump shot right in 2K it’ll usually go in. I get that’s true of the real way the sports play out, but in a game I can stand it to be bit less random.

KDdidit fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm amazingly getting worse the more I play Diamond Dynasty, despite having an all gold lineup. Lost my last 3 on Rookie and I'm pounding .13 HR a game :batuka: Just doing the big Conquest map and holding off until there's nothing but bases left. Hit 250 M fans on it and got Frank Thomas last night at least, not that I can hit with him.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m magically playing better on Veteran than Rookie. Still can’t hit the gaps or home runs, but scoring at least. Have half the Conquest map now so it should all be inevitable as I go forward. Boston seems to be the only “threat” as they have about 5-6 bases. Avoided it for a while, but need to steal some fans for the 30M prize.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think anytime I suck I should just complain here and I'll magically get better. Hung a 13-1 L on Colorado in DD and my 1/10 prize was a Diamond JT Realmuto. First time I ever saw a diamond as a prize possibility and Boom I get it. Sadly he's pretty much useless to me because I have Grandal and he hits better and I'll eventually evolve Pudge, but I can sell him for about 15k Stubs.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

I think anytime I suck I should just complain here and I'll magically get better. Hung a 13-1 L on Colorado in DD

quote:

Gameplay:
- Fixed an issue that caused the Button Accuracy Throw Meter to get stuck in the red, following a specific bullpen operation.
- Increase to hitting difficulty in Diamond Dynasty.
- Fewer checked swings will hit the ball into play.
- Pitch speed slider has more range.
- When swinging early on an outside pitch, fly balls and line drives that would be labeled ‘Rolled Over’ will now be labeled ‘Out in Front’.

:negative:

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coronavirus posted:

Can you not use 'guess pitch' in any DD modes? And any other pitching style than the overhead plate thing?

I use guess pitch in Conquest DD all the time.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What can you use your DD line-up in offline, other than Conquest? Have every hex other than 7 strongholds left and need to steal 12 M more fans til I clear it.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pounded the Cubs 1-0 with a sac fly in the bottom of the 9th to get Kid K. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead in pitching than I am in hitting. That's also always facing a team's 5th starter too, because I always start Shohei who is my 5th. I make whoever Jharel Cotton is look like Cy Young every time I play the Cubs because I can't lay off his change.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, never doing showdowns again. Had a run I could never hope to duplicate in the 1st inning one to get to the final stage 15-13 and stacked with diamonds. Played for 10 minutes against Jansen in practice mode to get a feel for his stuff and it still ended it 15-15 when I did it love. gently caress that. I just want to play with my DD team against the CPU with some hope of getting something other than the post game billionth of a chance at a diamond. I could play way too many games on conquest again to get 10 packs I guess.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did an MtO with the Angles and it was fun enough. 1st game of the WS vs the Nats and I got put in the Game up 6-0 in the 6th. CPU was kind enough to do it off Strasburg so I didn’t have too. Easy enough, while I’m not much of a hitter, I can pitch well. A 3 run and 2 run homer later and I sweat out a win. Next game enter down 5-2 in 6th against Scherzer, doomed. LaStella hits a solo in the 6th and even though no one else has hit it hard, they take him out in the 8th and I tie it up. Trout walks it off in the 9th. Last 2 games were uneventful.

So far I FotF Ohtani is a worse pitcher than the regular one for me, but it’s only been 5 games.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have never done DD before, what are the later team affinity awards usually like, other than better players?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I see there’s some prospect packs in the 2nd inning Conquest map, that’ll be nice.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m 90% veteran and 10% all-star. There aren’t enough reasons for me to play on higher difficulties in DD offline, which is what I play mostly. A few more TA points isn’t worth the stress in doing an AS MtO vs on Veteran and another million stolen in Conquest isn’t either. I get the best way to hit at higher difficulties is work the count and that’s my plan every time, but as Mike Tyson says, “Everybody’s got a plan until they (don’t) get hit(s).”

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don’t get the MtO playoff momentum/drop in thing. I played the Cards in the NLDS, who I had a 30+ game lead on in the Central and the 3 games I got dropped into were tied, -1, and -2. Games 1 was a walk off sac fly, 2 was a walk off HR, and 3 was a 3 run HR in the top of the 9th. I think after setting the regular season wins record we might have been good enough to have a lead after 5 innings in a game, but I guess not.

Had an easy win against the Tigers on AS for the Kaline moment, not sure I’ll bother going for him though looking at the 7 game series moment you need to complete

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
These new programs sure make me hate the players we get as rewards.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For as long as I can remember playing The Show, I've never done anything other to the CPU than throw 4 seams to the corners until 2 strikes and then off speed junk til they K or hit it. Hasn't failed me yet. I give up more solos than I think I should, but also give up less hits. There are some times when the CPU flips a switch and fouls off pitches it has no business hitting and taking sliders an inch off the black, but you get used to it.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Three whole Diamonds yesterday! One was Soto as a Affinity Award, so it wasn’t really luck, but got Ketel Marte as a post game reward and Josh Hader from the 2nd inning Headliner pack.

There’s a huge difference between gold and diamond I guess. Used to be lucky to get 2 runs a game on all-star in 3 inning games with golds and now I get around 8 with diamonds.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you need to work on your hitting.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I miss the old RTTS when you could raise your hitting stats whenever you wanted as a pitcher.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of RTTS, the devs are ruthless. Was playing a game in RTTS and dashboarded to let my wife use the PS4. When I started playing again there was a some kind of warning about unexpected disconnections when you have a teammate challenge going on. For those who don’t play RTTS, sometimes you get a challenge to get X whatevers in 3 games and it raises a stat cap by 5. Obviously the purity of RTTS can’t be tarnished by this behavior. It’s not even that the stat goes up 5, the stat cap goes up 5 and you still have to raise it.

It’s annoying enough it’s there for MtO. Since I don’t play online who cares if I weasel into getting some FotF Diamond that’s only 87-89 that I only use in Conquest that I already never lose because I play on Vet.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Getting the Kris Bryant treatment from the Cubs in RTTS. At the 2021 All-Star break at 82 OVR and the best OF on the roster and I'm still in AAA. My secondary is 1B where the best on the roster is 67 OVR. I'd file a grievance but I know I'd lose.

Edit: Looks like my complaining on “social media” helped as I just got called up. Went 1-3 with a walk. My OVR went from 82 to 79 though, odd.

KDdidit fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 25, 2020

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ended a Cubs MtO at the LCS with maxed TA before stage 2 came out, so was 50 shy of finishing it. How convenient that MtO is giving double TA for some reason so I got that done in a night. Kind of sad that the Cubs Future Star is a 2nd baseman when I already picked Sandberg at Silver 1. Makes me sad there aren't more game options as I have a stacked Cubs team and no reason to play most of them since I'm at the TA cap.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there’s some horrible visibility times at Camden as well as some minor League parks. You always hear it’s tough for a batter to pick up the ball when they’re in the shade and the pitcher is in the sun, but if they wanted to skip that part, fine by me.

Surprised myself and completed the new NL showdown. Went in down 15-11 and won it with 2 outs left. Not sure how anyone does them without cheesing steals. Take pitches they say. Can’t do it. I was down 1 with a runner on 3rd and 6 outs to go with the infield in. All I have to do is get a grounder through and then I can easily steal 2nd and 3rd and pretty much guarantee a win. Well the next 3 batters went down on the first pitch weakly grounding low and out of the zone sinkers to the pitcher and first baseman. They moved the infield back and I eventually got a lucky hit and later won.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Unsurprisingly they patched the 2x MtO affinity and steal cheese. Well maybe surprising they finally fixed the steal thing. Not sure I'll ever bother with showdowns now after I got a slight boost of confidence finishing the stage 2 NL affinity showdown. I just finished a WC round in MtO so missed on 25 extra points from that but at least got 27 extra from the regular season and WC round. Built the whole team around speed speed to cheese the steals, will be interesting to see how I do in the playoffs now.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh man it was glorious. Anybody over 30 speed was an automatic steal of 2nd and over 50 for 3rd. It wasn’t so much the stealing of 2nd, it was staying out of the bullshit double plays in Showdowns.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty big offline Diamond Dynasty content dump yesterday, Mother's Day conquest map, Keith Hernandez program, and the Player's Tournament program. Did the whole Mother's Day map, tons of packs as rewards, but didn't get any diamonds of course. Keith Hernandez must have the Jackie Robinson hitting sliders attached to him because he sucks. Players Tournament is sweet, some reasonable challenges for free diamonds. Pick 2 out of Gallo, Bichette, Smith Jr, and Lux at 85 or 86 and 1 out of 88 Happ, 90 Giolito, 88 McNeil. A switch hitting Happ is pretty cool. You can get a 95 Snell, but you have to buy a few of the cards you didn't pick to get it.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the_american_dream posted:

Said mere moments before being doubled off a bunt

I’m having a blast here

The CPU is double play bullshit supreme it's not really you, and like you said even if you try to bunt your way out of it there's a good chance you'll get doubled up anyway. Generically speaking keep your PCI in the upper part of the zone and don't swing at anything you drop it for. Easier said than done I know, but there's not much else other than using guess pitch to help out. The zoning your vision out and focusing on a spot behind the pitcher's head is good strategy. Try out the different strike zone cameras and find one you can judge low pitches best in.

abelwingnut posted:

does anyone else have this thing that whenever the press the button to make contact their left thumb just shoves up? i have to start my target at the bottom and hope my reflex manages to get to the spot correctly. i generally see where it's going, but i am just broken or something. it's like i want to use that thumb to lift the ball instead of aim.

not sure how to break that. i did manage to get past beginner, but pretty stuck at rookie.

I'm sort of on the opposite side, I drop my PCI at the last moment for no good reason.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whatever that patch did, I’m scoring literally twice as many runs a game in offline Diamond Dynasty.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Vizquel one was cake too, as anybody with 99 drag bunting (like Honus) is an easy single about 80% of the time. They even took some liberties with the goals as it'd say something like "on this day Omar hit 3 grand slams in an inning, match his total by collecting 3 total bases in a 3 game series." Hopefully the June PotM ones that come out today are just as easy.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, I quit after I got the good round the last time they dropped. I did take advantage of the cheap low tier prices and bought Rodney for 6k and Murphy for 5750.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're starting conquest figure out if the team your facings 5th starter is a righty or lefty and load up accordingly. I've run Shohei into the ground since he's good enough against the cpu, has a fast windup, and I don't have to PH for him.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Need a cringe inducing " jumping up and down like a bunch of delirious 10-year-olds" instead.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

i'm on vacation now so haven't seen ANY of this new content, but it seems like they once again filled up the rosters with a zillion baseball supermen which means every lineup now will have all 99s and every pitcher will be a superpitcher.

I really wish they'd try harder to make a limited number of really elite cards and put in some more variety in the player pool. i'm so tired of dancing around left hand power bat after left hand power bat.

Also LOL at the folks who spent four digits on a mantle card in the early weeks, he's just an average middle order hitter now

It highlights a lack of specific offline DD content. As a Cubs fan I have a stacked Cubs line up, but up against the Affinity Cap I don't have much reason reward-wise to use it. Sure, using the team you like, blah blah blah, but it'd be nice to get even a tiny something for it. If there was some mode using only a specific team, or maybe 5 players from a team, to get you something cheezy like a cosmetic or whatever that'd be great. I can make a stacked Yankees lineup just because there are so many free Yankee diamonds, but I have no reason to ever use them, same for a lot of other teams. I've got a vs Lefty 3 inning line up, a vs Righty 3 inning line up, and a general 9 inning lineup, and if a card can't crack those lineups it's mostly useless other than for a few inning stars once in a while. That being said, there's plenty of non online content so I can't complain too much, but it'd still be nice to have some team specific stuff.

KDdidit fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 1, 2020

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The decision to have the TA3 cards sellable is weird, especially with gold live series cards plummeting. I hate showdowns and have been doing rival exchanges for affinity, now it's cheaper (even with prices cratering) just to buy the stage 3 card. On top of that, the other TA rewards are fairly useless now. The end reward of 5 Ballin' is a Habit packs isn't going to get you any card you'd use other than Trout because there's so many better cards. Maybe you're trying for Mantle, but at this point Mantle isn't that much better than way cheaper cards.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do they do the 2K thing where they give cards unnatural positions? Need some lefty catchers other than Kung-Fu Panda's switch hitting C secondary.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The new FoF cards are absurdly cheap. A 98 Mattingly was 9k stubs yesterday and a few others are between 10-20k. I bought 1 HR Derby pack and got the good round and picked Judge, as his live series was the first good diamond I got. Sucks they nerfed his defense from the LS card, but whatever. Almost had all my immediate stub concerns erased yesterday, but my diamond AL Center Fielder reveal was of course Springer and not Trout. Only really want to buy Banks to keep my Cubs team up, but would have probably bought Killebrew and McGee for a lefty reliever.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From the perspective of someone who is probably 50/50 on winning showdowns... You net plenty of stubs if you win, I think you need to win maybe 1/3-1/2 of them to break even and it's the best offline way to get XP and program stars, plus the Team Affinity stubs are much better than doing March to October. I skip them though because for me they're more stressful than fun. A lot of the complaints come from close games where you absolutely crush a few perfect/perfects and they one-hop rocket into double plays. Sure, that's baseball and it happens, but when playing a video game and you do everything right and don't "win" you get annoyed, especially in Showdowns because the big reward is all or nothing,

As someone who never plays online I feel the same way about not having enough offline options to actually play with your team in a rewarding manner. That being said, don't sleep on Conquests, they're a great way to play with your own DD team while getting a ton of (low) diamonds. I also love the 3 inning format to get in and out of games quick. The player programs are also a good way to improve your DD team, although you don't really get to play as your team other than every one has a "beat the player's team you're trying to get on All-Star." Some of the moment's in multi-game series suck, but just quit to the dashboard before a game ends if you're behind schedule.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The CPU will only attack if they have at least a +2 advantage on your hex and since your reinforce stage is after theirs you can easily make sure you only use the minimum amount to reinforce and leave the rest for your “attacking” hex.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Since I don't get to let Kluber loose very often since I only play off line, it was fun to do the HoF game for the Ruth program. Since it's on that weird Moments settings, you can drag bunt to your hearts content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think I’m 0-4 in Inning showdowns and 4-0 in League/Division TA ones. The CPU really tries to kick you in the dick with double play animations too. Routine double play? Nope, you get a 2nd baseman no look behind the back flipping to a shortstop barehanding the catch and firing all while you’re barely out of the box.