Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Ok, looking into buying this game but having trouble finding information about the features I want and which version has the best gameplay. I'm looking for:

- An older version (hopefully) so the price is lower
- Access to legendary players, old stadiums and classic teams - from the 70's, 80's and 90's specifically
- Ability to create my own team/stadium/uniforms/logo in a fantasy draft franchise mode
- Not having to grind or loot box my way to get the players I want, not have to pay an arm and a leg for them or do all the custom work myself.
- Minimal slider adjustments to enjoy the game

Mainly, I want a good baseball sim and I hear this is the one to get, but I hope to play the 1980, 2008 and 1993 Phillies along with the 1982 or 1987 Cardinals, the late 80's Oakland A's and the 1986 Mets. I'm old and my fondest memories of the game reflect that. Can you just download/buy rosters or seasons you like or is it a thing where you have to unlock poo poo with achievements and stuff like Madden Ultimate Team?

NBA 2k has a lot of classic teams and rosters right out of the box that I enjoy loving around with and a robust custom team feature so any version of this game with stuff like that is good if such a thing exists.

TIA for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^Thank you for the help^^^

RE: The roster downloads

From what I can tell these are free(?) downloads the servers, but they appear to be user created? Is that right?

I assume there's some good reddit threads or something that reviews how good or accurate they are and lists the best ones. I'll do some more searching and see if there are some decent rosters I'm looking for.

Any reason not to buy a previous version (2022 or 2021)? I guess I could just read some reviews. I play older (cheaper) versions of NBA2k and they're good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Finally bit the bullet and picked up 2022 for cheap. Did the training, played a few games last night and was genuinely impressed.

Started out on rookie and it was way too easy so went to the next level up that the game is says is for veteran players. I'm NOT but did well and actually came from 6 runs down to win a game. I'm hitting too many homers, especially for a brand new player, so gonna need to tweak some things I think. Or maybe it's a fluke.

I went with: directional hitting, metered pitching and that "giant baseball" icon for fly balls. I think I'm gonna eventually move to zone hitting based on things I'm reading.

I love all the different UI and control options for play but, man, that throwing meter is gonna take some time. I committed 4+ errors in all three of my exhibition games. I know I can turn that off but I like the idea of fielding being more interactive so I wanna stick with it . I need to dig a little bit because I didn't see a way to set my batting order, select my starters or shift my fielders. Game is loving loaded with options that I need to explore and play with before I start a season since I want to mess with the camera angles and some other poo poo

Random ?'s:

- What's the little colored circle around the pitch selections? I assume it's how much you're using it and the effectiveness is going down?

- I think I accidentally "completed" the tutorial somehow. The game is not "narrating" the controls when I practice now.

- Struggling with baserunning because I keep hitting the d-pad instead of the stick and pressing face buttons for bases instead of the shoulder buttons. Seems like "d-pad right and then Y" would send a guy from first to second (xbox)

- I've poked around and looked at some game sliders. What does everyone here think would be good for a new player in order to get good simulation style results?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 1, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't do the monthly subscription thing since I have so little time to play. I picked up MLB22 for 9 bucks so that's fine with me. All the sports games I play are last year's model since they're so incredibly cheap.

I'm getting in the groove of the game but finding the menus a little cumbersome. So many layers to them. I'm trying to get my Phillies roster updated with Trea Turner and Brandon Marsh while getting rid of Didi Gregorious, Matt Vierling and Jean Segura but it's a bit of a pain and I'm having trouble swinging trades and editing the rosters but I'll figure it out. While trying to do that, I happened to notice a lot of legendary players on the free agent list so that's pretty cool too. I figured I'd need to grind to unpack them.

It's a weird complaint but it seems like, for the most part, balls in play are hit just a little too hard. There seem to be very few lazy fly balls, slow rolling grounders or bloop singles. Crazy also, since I'm new to the game, but I may have to up the difficulty from veteran or tweak the sliders. I'm 4 and 1 so far despite my abysmal fielding/throwing (although that's starting to come around) and want to make sure I have the difficulty adjusted right before I start a franchise. I might try a fantasy draft and throw the legends I have in there if I can figure it out. Somehow, I'm still averaging like 2 or 3 dingers a game but that could be due to me playing with Harper, Schwarber, etc.

Game is really cool, especially now that I've adjusted the presentation. I loved the little addition of airplanes flying overhead when I played the Mets and am anxious to check out some of the other ballpark's little details.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Log posted:

My strength in hitting isn't mashing, unless it's one of those nights where you're seeing everything. I work counts, walks, and can purposely protect the plate when I need. I'll normally have opposing pitchers at about twenty pitches over the inning count. (If it's the fifth inning, I'll get them to 70 or more.)

This is where I'm trying to get but, as a newbie, I have trouble laying off junk balls out of the zone. At least so far. I've started to just sit on a location early in the count and not swing at anything that's not in that area and it helps. I've drawn 3 or 4 walks in a game a few times but it's usually at the cost of taking strike(out)s rather than real plate discipline and reading the pitches. Luck, basically, and a willful attempt to draw some walks. If I'm behind in the count, I'll use a contact swing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I just think I lack a "batter's eye". I have the same problems at batting cages if the pitch speed is too high. I also get over aggressive in the game when I have a big hitter up there. I think the average # of walks per team is around 3 but usually I get one or maybe two.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Log posted:

What modes are you focused on playing?

It is definitely A Thing, but it will develop over time. But my first year playing MLB 21 was a ton of fun, but basically flailing until stuff started to work. I didn't turn on PCI hitting until the end of 22, so consider yourself already ahead of the curve.

You can pry pulse pitching from my cold, dead hands, though. My rotation's ERA, while mostly competing in the 600s, speaks for itself.

(Yes, I know I'd get clapped with pulse at higher difficulties. But Pinpoint doesn't work on Xbox. If one out of ten pitches goes wild, I consider the smaller par on other pitches moot.)

Directional/metered/veteran

Planning on doing a Phillies franchise eventually but right now playing exhibition and playoff series (SIM) until I feel like I've got a handle on things and get the settings right. I was getting too many homeruns so I dropped my power rating but otherwise using default sliders. Also was getting way too many pitcher strikeouts so I raised CPU timing and contact a notch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Playing 22 on xboxone and my in game box scores don't track or update during a game? I'm in the top of the 9th and the box scores only show like 4 or 5 at bats? It's happened to me a few times. Any ideas what's going on here?

Currently in the middle of a post season sim and the game doesn't seem to remember most of my plate appearances.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Playing 22 on xboxone and my in game box scores don't track or update during a game? I'm in the top of the 9th and the box scores only show like 4 or 5 at bats? It's happened to me a few times. Any ideas what's going on here?

Currently in the middle of a post season sim and the game doesn't seem to remember most of my plate appearances.

Anybody know what this is about? It keeps happening.

Feels like if I change the batting camera view, a setting or something that the game resets the box score. It's the only thing I can think of but it's annoying.

E

Confirmed that it seems to be related to changing settings during a game but that's still weird. I'm not tweaking difficulty or sliders here, only camera angles. I played a full game without switching anything and got a full box score this time.

E2

On to something else. I have baserunning on "assisted" because I was making too many mistakes but every once in a while my guy just STOPS between bases and I have no idea why?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 15, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Super dumb question:

What's the slow pulsing vibration I get when I'm at the plate sometimes? Google only tells me about the vibration when I'm pitching and dancing outside the strike zone. I'm assuming it's some kind of pressure situation but may mean my hitter is locked in or the opposing pitcher is nervous.

Basically, just trying to figure out if it's good (turbo mode) or bad (hitter is scared). Or neither.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Grem posted:

Are you putting the pci outside the strike zone?

No, I'm using timing/directional.

Just every once in a while the game decides my hitter's heart is racing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Anyone have any idea why my players are just stealing bases at random? LIke 2nd and 3rd with no outs and they double steal? I have baserunning on assist and I am NOT touching any buttons or triggers. I'm running myself out of innings and it insane right now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Can't find an answer to this one so:

Say I have a fast guy on 1st, the batter hits one in the gap and I KNOW I want my runner to try and score. Can I select the runner and just hit the "home" button rather than advancing him base by base?

E

Come to think of it, I could use "advance all" but sometimes that's a little wonky for me. Baserunning in general I feel needs some work in this game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Log posted:

It should work. But Jesus Christ, base running is like rolling a set of weighted dice. Something is going to go wrong.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yes, just hold right on the left stick and hit the home button and it should say HOME on the guy indicating where he is going to try to run to

Thank you both. I guess it never occurred to me to even try it since my baseball game muscle memory goes back the NES days but, after getting nailed at the plate a few times, I wondered if I could just do what I described and just SEND motherfuckers. Like I said, "L1/Advance all" is sometimes weird for me. I think I mash it and mess it up sometimes.

Glad I'm not the only one having baserunning issues here. I've cost myself more runs loving this up than I can count.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Log posted:

My main issue happened midway through this game cycle. I'll have my baserunners constantly just loving stop midway along the base paths during plenty of line drives. I'm not talking about situations where you might want them to stay put, either. It's like their base running aggression suddenly gets clicked to negative 100. It cost me two runs in ranked yesterday, when they got forced out at second for not running.

Used to happen to me before I realized I was inadvertently hitting the R2 trigger.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone have any idea why my players are just stealing bases at random? LIke 2nd and 3rd with no outs and they double steal? I have baserunning on assist and I am NOT touching any buttons or triggers. I'm running myself out of innings and it insane right now.

FWIW, I figured this out.

Turns out I was mashing buttons during cut scenes in presentation/hybrid mode to skip back to gameplay. I guess the game was reading my button input and loading up steals. Since I turned the option to "fast play" it stopped happening.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Been playing this for a while now and enjoy it a lot but, man, baserunning still gives me trouble. I think I'd do better with the d-ad/button option but in the heat of the moment my muscle memory never lets me do that. Also, it took me forever to tweek the sliders to get a gameplay style that wasn't so reliant on home runs and three true outcomes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I said come in! posted:

As a super casual, I appreciated all of the assist options that were added to The Show 23, but those look to have been removed this year.

I appreciate a lot of the details like this that the game adds. When Bryce Harper is at bat on the road, sometimes the crowd chants "overrated!". I like the planes flying overhead at Mets stadium too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Does anyone play the season or franchise modes with the normal rosters or do most people play online with the packs, RttS and such?

Because I've been playing 2022 solo and having great fun for a while now. I did a Phillies season and lost in the playoffs and am now doing a second one with all the legends added to each of their teams which is awesome. My Phillies team has several 2022 players but also Mike Schmidt, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels. Having the other legendary players on the teams they're known for helps with the balance and, best of all, after almost two seasons worth of games, I'm STILL getting better and learning new poo poo. It's also helped me gently caress with the sliders and options to where I have it just about right.

There's a lot of depth here that all great games have; easy to learn/difficult to master. I just wish it had a create a team option where you can make your own uniforms and poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Walked posted:

I've been considering picking up The Show 24; but have no interest in the story modes or online play. Is the franchise mode worth the pickup of the game? My gut says yes based on all the reviews I've seen, but without a demo, I figured I'd ask for thoughts before I spend the coin

I love it. It's all I play. You'll likely need to experiment with the sliders to get the gameplay you want. I picked up a previous version for dirt cheap and tweaked the rosters to get them mostly updated.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone play the season or franchise modes with the normal rosters or do most people play online with the packs, RttS and such?

I guess the last page or two of posts answered this for me.

I guess I'm weird but none of this card hunting and roster chasing seems fun to me. Now please excuse me while I go try to beat the Braves in my S2 franchise.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I lost a Showdown the other day because my baserunners all simultaneously had strokes and stopped running.

Which resulted in a triple play.

:stare:

That's happened to me. I think R2 freezes all your runners. It's easy to mistakenly do that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man, I hosed up the playoff game selection in my All Star Phillies franchise and wound up getting bounced because I accidentally simmed 2 games in a best of 5. :(

Firing up another season only this time I went through all the legends I had and put them on their respective teams (Cal Ripken, Ken Griffey Jr, Tom Glavine, Ozzie Smith, Mariano Rivera, etc.) so now my default rosters are kinds of wild and I'm curious to see how I do. Hopefully, it will shake up the playoff brackets since the CPU always sims the same teams into the postseason.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Is there anything like online leagues with team creation and fantasy drafts or is the bulk of this game just grinding for points and cards? I've never explored the more grindy elements of this game and don't think I care to.

A 12 team goon league would be super cool I think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I had a weird one the other night.

Tie game in the bottom of the 10th, bases loaded against me, one out and the CPU hist a fly ball foul deep down the right field line. I have defense set to "assisted" and by the time I realized that, if I caught the ball, I'd be giving up a sac fly, I couldn't get the right fielder to disengage and he caught it anyway. Runner tags, I lose.

I guess I should have tried diving or jumping because moving the stick away from the catch area wasn't doing anything. Maybe the AI thought I had a play at the plate but the ball was hit pretty deep.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Couple friends of mine are telling me that you can spot at "tell" for certain pitches from certain pitchers based on arm angles at release but I'll be hosed if I can figure it out.

Also, how the gently caress do I turn OFF "PCI LOCK" if I accidentally click R3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

One of the little things I appreciate in this game is that hitters with high walk numbers tend to replicate that tendency in games if you're patient with them. It's something that's hard to get right in a video game but, on my team, Harper and Schwarber really will get a lot more pitches outside the zone than someone like Jimmy Rollins or Castellanos.

Anyone have that ONE player that rates out good but, for some reason, the motehrfucker just can't hit? I can't find Chase Utley's sweet spot for the life of me and even when he catches one it's usually a line drive right to an outfielder. Cliff Lee is giving up and ungodly amount of home runs for me.

COnversely, I have a few players that seem to overperform their abilities too. Didi Gregorius is one that stands out. I like to sit on that high outside fastball red zone and tend to hit a lot of homers with him.

Speaking of zones, do the hot zones really do anything? It FEELS like they do but that could just be me setting my PCI into hot areas and trying to avoid them when pitching.

I'm early on my third 162 game season and the game still continues to surprise and challenge me. Still can't baserun and steal consistently though and, my god, the CPU's pick off move is overpowered.