Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Just got the game today. What are the best pitches to use for each RTTS archetype as the effectiveness of certain pitches seems to vary with each edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

bewbies posted:

I feel like you can throw just about anything against the AI and be ok...the main thing is to hit your meter mark as close as you can. It seems like the AI gets a ding against it when you do. My main irritation with the AI is that it almost NEVER swings at anything out of the zone, whereas human players (even really good ones) you can really set up to swing at stuff in the dirt.

Basically, you want a fastball, a hard low pitch (sinker/forkball), a slow pitch (curve/changeup), and a lateral movement pitch (slider or cutter). My perfect DD pitcher would have a hard sinker as primary, 4 seamer, 12-6 curve, slider, and forkball, in that order. If you go really heavy on the movement, you could replace curve/slider with slurve, but that has to have a LOT of break to be a legit out pitch.

Is the splitter any good in this version? Because it was a good out pitch for me in previous versions.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Would it be redundant to have both a sinker and a splitter/forkball?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Infidel Castro posted:

I roll with 4SFB, Circle Change, Slider, Curve, and Sinker.

4SFB to get ahead
Cir Change as a strikeout pitch for LHB
Slider strikeout pitch for RHB
Curve works well after a high fastball
Sinker for a double play ball, though mostly for RHB as the change works pretty well for LHB

I'm rocking it as a 21 year old fireballer with a 4sb, 12-6 curve, slider, cutter, and palmball

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'm rocking it as a 21 year old fireballer with a 4sb, 12-6 curve, slider, cutter, and palmball

Yeah so about that....

In my rookie season. 8th ML start. My Padres pitcher on the mound in New York against the Mets. He has the above pitch set.

Jacob DeGrom and I trade zeros all game. He was pulled in the 8th for. PH, I was left in because I had a perfect game going.

Long story short, I was perfect through 10. Three pitches into the 11th, I hung the palmball to Pete Alonso and he crushed it for a 1-0 walkoff win.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

KDdidit posted:

Sounds like you need to work on your hitting.

It was my RTTS pitcher. And I'll have you know I got 2 hits in the game. :colbert:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is it possible to download Pay Hughes' home run call and import it to the Show? The weak rear end version Vasgersian does doesn't do it for me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

KDdidit posted:

Need a cringe inducing " jumping up and down like a bunch of delirious 10-year-olds" instead.

Cut the guy a break. He was the voice at the end of a 108-year drought. Surprised the dude could even form words.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I hear rtts sucks this year? Confirm/deny

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Rtts is getting some fixes

https://realsport101.com/mlb-the-show/mlb-the-show-21-road-to-the-show-update-patch-notes-ballplayer-loadouts-diamond-dynasty/

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just play with announcers turned off.

And there's nothing even close to my last name available lol

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CellBlock posted:

I don't think my actual last name is in there, but my RTTS players have been named Mike Hunt or Mike Hawk for many seasons now.

Dick Butts

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
How is rtts this year?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

mearn posted:

Mostly the same as last year. They've simplified the ballplayer programs, and taken out the DD missions so you only make progress on the programs within RTTS. Also you can have multiple RTTS saves going at the same time. Haven't noticed any other changes really.

So you can have more than one player again?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh yeah for anyone who hasn't played the game before and doesn't know how strong the created ballplayer is after a day of grinding this is my dude without even having the best perks or equipment or being fully levelled, he will end up with like 80 contact and 125 power

Does that carry over to all your created players, or do you start at the beginning like you did in 20?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is Legend Rob Nen still 48 years old for some reason?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

barnold posted:

neither is "Dick" unfortunately. resorted to having the pbp guy say "big dog cocks" every time I step up to the plate lol

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1416211270345265152

Goddammit now I can't make perennial RTTS HOFer Dick Butts

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just got '22 a couple days ago. I only really play franchise.and rtts. Why are all my player cards marked "no sell" as soon as I get them?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I steal a bunch, but i have my speed at 107

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Captain Log posted:

My entire God Squad is speedsters, and I normally won't play someone under 75 speed. I'm just awful at it, because no good instructional videos exist. OhChev and Scann have good videos about batting and pitching, but nothing on stealing. At least that I've found.

I'm trying to play at least a three inning game a day, right now only using PCI, to prepare for 2023. The environment is hosed, because you're either playing completely cracked Show Gods, or people who picked up the game for twenty bucks and literally don't know what's going on.

Playing the computer doesn't help that much, because it plays a totally sane and predictable version of baseball that your average person does not.

This is basically what I do, but i always play rtts:

Slightly hold the left stick over so you automatically go back to the base if there's a pickoff throw. Its best to run when there's a 2 or 3 ball count,.as the pitcher is unlikely to use a slide step or pitchout. And run on first movement. Yes, sometimes they'll throw over snd get you in a rundown, but more often than not if you have more than 99 speed and steal, you'll be able to do it

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
How's RTTS?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

davecrazy posted:

Satchel Paige’s windup takes 6 loving seconds.

Yeah it's loving annoying

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I couldn't possibly care less about DD or online play, so it's fun to sell my expensive cards for equipment and perks for my RTTS player.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

davecrazy posted:

Aren’t most of the Negro leagues guys 2 way players?

Dihigo was for sure

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Really liking the adjustment to cpu defensive ability.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is it me, or does it take an awfully loving long time to level up your two way player in RTTS?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah, if you play the normal way it takes for loving ever

The fast way is to put the game on beginner unfortunately and just grind homeruns at least until you get to the gold or diamond skill set, then play the game normally if you want to

No I'm at Diamond already. I just mean the attributes like Stamina, fielding, power vs l/r, etc

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I accidentally hit "sell now" instead of "create sell order" when listing on the market and cost myself 4,000 stubs. Grrrr

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tatsuta Age posted:

so if I start on one archetype in RTTS, I can't change to another one (like going from sparkplug -> slugger I mean)

Nope.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Captain Log posted:

I’m going to just admit something.

I’ve been using the PCI since about the last three months of 22. Against people, it’s awesome. People tend to be pretty predictable, so I just cheat the pci where I’m expecting a pitch. I work way more full counts and walks than even the top streamers I watch on occasion, because I don’t chase often.

But if you throw really high in the strike zone, I’m hosed. You’ll get through innings before I catch on.

Which is why 100+ mph fastballs from the CPU gently caress me. They will live up in the zone, and if it’s fast I’m not catching up.

I only play against the CPU, but the high inside 4 seamer or cutter is deadly.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Has RTTS changed in any significant way? The leveling system was broken as gently caress last year.

Edit: other than being able to play as a woman, I mean

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 16, 2024

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

blossommirage posted:

Women in RTTS is super rad so far. I remember asking a developer if they would ever add it as an option like fifteen years ago during a twitch stream, and he blew off the question like it was crazy. I feel pretty vindicated seeing how much care went into the narrative.

RTTS plays like it did before 21, away from the ballplayer stuff, back to in game stat increases and at bat feedback. The new fielding stuff keeps it pretty fun too.

Is the leveling system fixed? I played for hundreds of hours and was never able to max out any stat except power. Sometimes it didn't even register gains at all.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

I'm excited about the hitting. It's so frustrating when I get into streaks where I pop everything up for about a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Will the game let you DH on the games you pitch in RTTS if you make a two way player? It wouldn't in last years version.