Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
So uh can someone explain the point of showdowns to me as a new player? Why would I ever want to spend 1k coins grinding the same minimally creative challenges with the potential to come away with nothing if you don't make it past the first checkpoint or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

bewbies posted:

they probably aren't worth the time if you're not an online DD player, but the rewards you get are pretty good for the time involved. they're the best way to get both stars for the inning challenges and team affinity points, both of which can net you lots of virtual baseball currency and or excellent players.

i think they're pretty fun too but the overall reviews seem pretty mixed.

The starter one you can do for free was enjoyable for sure, but the 1k cost of entry is just so crazy to me. Why do all of them absolutely have to be 1k to enter? Why could they not have made other ones you can do for free? I understand not wanting to upset the game economy by giving out good players for free but this is a really excessive measure to take considering that a pack costs 1500.

I heard good things about DD and was excited to play it, but it feels like the devs seemingly did everything they possibly could to discourage new players to The Show from playing it. Like "here are some challenges that take an hour to grind out and also we're going to stifle your progression by charging coins to enter, OH and as a fun bonus, you might just not get anything at all, sucker." You basically have to suck it up and buy PP right off the jump or just hate your life while you play terrible baseball against juiced up AI.

There's no way to play the DD season mode other than the online ranked seasons, so I can't even play a season against the AI with my DD team while making progress towards anything except for doing the one-off vs. CPU games in Extended Play. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of depth. I have no interest in the Battle Royale mode or Conquest modes, I just wanted to have a team to build and grow while playing the game my own way. I can do this in FIFA, Madden, NHL, NBA....but not The Show.

Maybe I'm just not approaching things the right way. What are the best ways for a new player to improve their DD team? Straight up ranked season? I really do enjoy the core gameplay and I'm not trying to poo poo on the game at all, but my expectations have been totally shattered and that's probably my fault for not doing some more in-depth research as to what the connected team gamemodes actually entailed.

The obvious answer is "git gud", of course, I just wasn't expecting to get slapped with that so early on in my adventure here :V

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 9, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I started the 5th Inning conquest map, immediately wiped the Cubs and Athletics off the left side of the board, got 8 regular packs, a special pack of some kind, and a classic stadium pack, not to mention a sizable amount of coins. Not bad. Bretty good. If the others are like this then I can see what you're saying for sure, it didn't take a whole lot for me to earn those rewards at all

also, I realized you can skip the "steal fans" phase and pretty much just focus on playing a small game of Settlers of Catan until you can reinforce a tile enough to take a crack at a stronghold on Veteran or lower (because I'm a little baby and can barely eke out 1-0 or 2-1 wins on Veteran)

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 10, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

AI in general is intensely hosed up. Had a popfly to right field last night where the RF ran for a solid 2-3 seconds in the exact opposite direction before the game gave me control of the player, at which point it was too late to get under the ball and turned the play into an RBI double.

Right now the great scam is taking diamond Pedro Martinez, pitching him in the rotation, then swapping him out for silver Pedro from the pen, because they hosed up roster restrictions and you can have both on your active roster at the same time :laffo:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

PCI hitting comes down to patience and knowing both your tendencies as a hitter as well as the pitch repertoire of whoever is on the mound. If you're up against a guy like Pedro Martinez who has an absolutely nasty slider and 4-seam fastball, then you gotta watch his wind up and delivery and see where that ball is going. Same thing for a guy who throws a knuckleball or a 12-6 curve, once you start learning which players lean towards which pitches, it gets a little easier to know what you have to do. Like last night, I was doing a conquest and had to go up against the Yankees AI with Gerrit Cole pitching. Gerrit Cole throws a power fastball and a good slider, and at least in my experience, loves to throw low and inside, so letting the PCI rest a little lower in the zone and then flicking up if you have to is the way to go.

It might help to go into settings and gently caress around with your PCI display too. I found that once I disabled the larger, outer ring portion, that I focused more on getting the center of the PCI on the ball resulting in better contact on swings. And then of course it also comes down to patience, waiting for the right pitch, and practice. I find that I'm getting better at putting the PCI where I want it, but having trouble getting the timing of swings down.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

This game needs a seriously major nerf to AI fielding. I guess SDS thinks that MLB infielders just do a magical sideways Star Trek teleport to get to line drives hit to the gap. It should not be this difficult to get a base hit. Makes the game play more arcadey than loving Super Mega Baseball, like you're either batting around a guy with back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs or your 125mph line drives are getting snagged by a 68 OVR bronze infielder out of nowhere

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

With this weekend being a 2X 1st Inning XP, it would also be a good time to do the intentional walk glitch if you feel like mindlessly accruing tens of thousands of XP for the program.

You need 2 controllers to do it - sign the second controller into a guest profile, go into Exhibition (Live Rosters), set the guest profile controller as the home team and your main account as the away team, then just start intentionally walking with the 2nd controller. Your squad gets XP for every walk and every run that crosses the plate, so once you walk bases loaded and guys start coming in, the XP grind begins. When you're done, quit to the main menu (you don't have to finish the game or even the inning), once you get to the menus force close the game and reopen it and check your 1st Inning XP.

I did this today for a little while and got about ~12.5k XP for 150 runs walked in, which only took about 10-15 minutes or so. It's stupid as hell but I'm probably going to do it because the daily missions are totally loving worthless at 200XP each, collecting the 42 players is hard, and I already got Eric Davis.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Deathlove posted:

Ok, here's a dumb question.

I'm at bat. There's a heat map. Is it mine? Is it the pitcher's? What does it represent? Balls I hit in the red zone will be hit better, so look there? The pitcher throws more there?? What is it??? This has plagued me for years.

E: also doing this Perfect Catfish challenge, multiple people are 0-3 in the 8th inning, not really a thing that can exist in a perfect game 🙄

The heatmap is based on the real-life advanced stats heatmap the MLB started leaning heavily into around 2018. AFAIK it provides no actual boosts to your batting, it's just a way to show you what pitch locations you are seeing/hitting well against and what pitch locations you are not hitting so well against. Just another visual feedback tool for fine-tuning your PCI placement (you hear that directional players? PCI PLACEMENT)

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

So what I did was I dropped the game all the way to veteran, but you could even use rookie if veteran is too hard

imo anyone who wants to practice and get better at the game should not be playing on rookie under any circumstances. Practicing on rookie is going to teach you insanely bad batting habits. Veteran minimum for the cage, all the way. The difficulty increase overall is negligible and it will prevent you from getting used to the artificial hang times of pitching on rookie, which you will have to do extra work to undo once you move up.

other than that, really great post and very helpful for new players :toot:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

lol at the Featured AL showdown making you hit a home run in the very first mission with your freshly drafted team of mostly ~68OVR shitters. I have to imagine they did it to spite all the people who complained that showdown was one of the most consistently annoying game modes

I mean you can skip it and/or take nothing but bats in the draft I guess, I just think it's funny

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

If anyone wants to grind XP the fastest, plus getting a free 99+ overall player, the fastest thing to do is to do road the show, set it to beginner, put your home stadium to Shippett or Coors, and just mash power swing on every AB. You'll basically always at least hit at least a double and you can get to diamond archetype in like 5-6 hours and get 500-1k XP per game that each take only a few minutes. Don't gently caress with sliders, it will cut your exp, you just need to set it to beginner.

this is the greatest poo poo ever. I did this while playing Civ with friends last night and averaged like 3HR a game. didn't waste time with any fielding appearances (my player is a left fielder) and just simmed straight to ABs. the novelty will wear off fast I bet but it's hilarious to watch my goofy rear end baseballer hit nonstop dingers

i play at Capital Field though, it reminds me of downtown Concord, NH

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Is fisher cats stadium in the game

no but Capital Field is the generic home stadium for the Fisher Cats, who my CAP is currently assigned to. I dig it

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have horrible news.

Dugnutt is no longer available as a voiced last name under the new commentary.

neither is "Dick" unfortunately. resorted to having the pbp guy say "big dog cocks" every time I step up to the plate lol

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1416211270345265152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I've pulled 3 live Shoheis so far, but no Trout. every time I rip a diamond and see that Angels logo I get excited. but I have not reached the promised land yet

not complaining about the ~380k I was able to dump the dupes for. but I'm so close to finishing the live series