Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

as far as I'm aware, previous team affinities have only had one player, so we have no idea what later ones will look like. If I had to guess, I'd say legends though

EDIT: no they didn't I'm super dumb lol, there were 3 tiers, with the first mostly rookie versions of cards, the the later ones were whatever but better. Presumably the last one will be a team legend but who knows where they go with it

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Grem posted:

What's the steal cheese? Cause I would have hoped it was fixing stealing home and my catcher just stands there like an idiot but nope! Just happened again.

Didn't use it myself, but taken from a comment it was apparently

quote:

Hold L2 and then hold R2. Wait about 5 seconds. (The pitcher will not throw if you're holding R2). After you wait 5 seconds, let go of L2 then let go of R2 right away. The pitcher will pitch the ball every time right after you have taken off.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Grem posted:

There's some rewards for every ranking step you get but unless you're pretty high up there it's not much. Some player programs like Jackie Robinson require online hits or runs.

iirc all of the non-prestige player programs can be finished without online play, they just generally require you to do all the missions and maybe collections instead

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

KDdidit posted:

Do they do the 2K thing where they give cards unnatural positions? Need some lefty catchers other than Kung-Fu Panda's switch hitting C secondary.

depends on the card, and the standards seem incredibly weird. 1999 chipper jones gets SS as a secondary position off the 1 inning he played there that season, but the SS Gary Sheffield was a primary SS his first 2 seasons and he doesn't get it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the meta way to winning conquest is absolutely "get as many territories as you want/need, skip turns until you have enough fans for a quick battle on the stronghold, win that.

Basically you just do enough steal fans for the mission and only do anything differently if there's specifically a "conquer this stronghold by however many turns".

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the only thing we have is a tweet saying news is coming in February

https://twitter.com/MLBTheShow/status/1350197953625948160

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

you can only have one RTTS character this year because they're also your DD created guy. Said guy starts as a two way player and you have to explicitly say "no I don't want to two way" if you don't want to do that. Stats are honestly super limited and built around DD like archtypes that you have to level up with DD and RTTS play. You can still theoretically level up stats in game play but (in honestly only like 5 or 6 games so I can't say for certain) seems to be slowed down so the DD archtype/ bonus cards things you can get are more meaningful.

rtts is bad now and I hate it I just want to make a big beefy lad who can hit .500/.505/1.500 with 50 home runs at the all star break is that too much to ask? Yes, because that would be OP in DD a totally different mode I even remotely want my RTTS player to have to play sure

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

if you are a primary RTTS or franchise player 100% do not buy the show 21. DD is fun, and if you're a primary DD player... lets be real you're gonna get it anyways, but for everyone else it is absolutely not worth full price and honestly idk if it's even gonna be worth the 20 bucks it'll cost on sale in all star weekend.

The only silver lining is that frankly they're taking a LOT of poo poo on socials for how bad they've hosed up RTTS so hopefully it goes back to not being trash after this year...hopefully

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

frankly the servers are so turbofucked atm that it's hard to say one way or another.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

tips for hitting are super hard because the closest thing I have to a tip is to stop thinking and just hit the ball. I can't think about taking pitches, or looking for anything in particular I just have to go into hitting zone and start hitting.

pitching tips are way easier, although they depend way more on vs humans (throw way more poo poo in the dirt than you'd think you should be able to get away with, almost everyone to like, divisional series cannot lay off curveballs low) and CPUS (they will take pitches outside to absurd extents, way more about hitting spots with pitches that they can't do anything with than anything else)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

maniacripper posted:

Another thing, I'm free to use these guys in my diamond lineup and still sell them after correct? Is the only time a card is locked to your account is when you lock it in to a collection or it says 'No Sell' promo type stuff?

Yep. Until you lock them in a mission you can use them, sell them, quick sell them, whatever.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the heat map is the players.

There are rumors that the darkest red heat map gives a 5%ish boost to contact and a dark blue one gives a negative, but as far as I'm aware that's never been confirmed one way or another by SDS.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

not sure I'm loving this move to the XP only inning program thing, I'm now 2 for 2 in "hitting the XP cap before the inning ends" whereas I never hit more than like, 400 stars an inning last year.

Last week it was only like, a day or so before the changeover, but it was like a full week this time.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

headliner packs seem very weird this year. Best pull from probably 40 of them is one of the uniforms, but I also have pulled mathews and hershiser out of regular packs.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

that speed in LF is gonna be rough anywhere but a bandbox, let alone any other OF positions.

I think he's either a bad defense catcher or honestly a pinch hitter for most teams

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the 90+ diamond pack at 650k xp was actually great, giving me the last player I needed for the live collection in Acuna.

Second straight year I've actually finished the live series collection, just did it a bit faster this time (4th inning compared to the 11th last time)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Also, making all the missions and moments for the Votto card add up to 98 is just loving cruel. Now I have to go unlock a million old monthly players to qualify with the collections or whatever. I want Votto, God drat it!

all of the monthly rewards require the collection, and all of those require doing that month's worth of topps now missions. Kinda a pain, but it really assumes more that you'd be doing over the course of the month than all at once.

For the bronze diamond thing honestly I'd suggest waiting to go online until you have finished most of Team Affinity 3 and the high diamonds that come with it. Obviously you don't have to, but it'll even the playing field a bit first

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Captain Log posted:

So I'm not able to just roll in with the cards I've already collected? I've got an all diamond roster, but I'm seemingly unable to access it in ranked games. I just get a hodgepodge of bronze players.

okay that is really weird. Make sure you're not like, switching lineups or something before you play, but any card you own should be playable in ranked seasons and I don't know why they wouldn't.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the best answer is flipping on the market until that 70k stubs becomes like 3 million, but most of us cannot be bothered to deal with that. After that it's mostly going to be buying the best diamond equipment for a player until you have one of each of the best and then probably just outright buying whatever players you want for your team.

stubs are...weirdly kinda less useful this year because so much of the top/near top level content has been free/grindable. chipper/mookie are legit great but honestly the free guys available in TA3 and some of the programs are a pretty drat good team too

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

when you roster him in DD he's always going to look like a 65 overall, despite whatever equipments or loadouts you have set on him, but in actual gameplay he'll be whatever he's supposed to be. You can also set a "team" bat skin that I'm pretty sure will override whatever the player himself is using for a bat, but it only allows the skins and not the actual bats themselves, and also sets everyone else on the team has to use that bat skin.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

atm the market is super wonky because of team affinity 4 (which can give you an entire 99 lineup/rotation) and the new big collection reward in kershaw.

Personally I'd either look into getting whichever one of the big expensive cards you want (if you want any) or looking into finishing some of the collections; 42 collection requires finishing team affinity 1, but otherwise is pretty cheap nowadays.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the secret to the ozzie smith missions is to just drag bunt until you get it.

this is not a joke just trying to bunt cheese the AI was way simpler than actually trying to hit with that freaking card

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

part of the thing to remember is that, despite everything, MLB the show is a live service game. It is built around the idea that you are playing it...at least an hour or two every day, since release.

if you've done that, the content drip is pretty reasonable; having played somewhere in that range since release, I'm 80% through team affinity 4 with half of the latest player program to go (keith hernandez and frankly if I needed him for collections he'd be done already)

it's just that a steady content drip for the grinders since release is loving insane for anyone coming late or who isn't playing an hour+ every day

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

PCI is always going to be the high-end meta because it's just so much more skill heavy/meaningful. Directional is never gonna get you a .700 average but good enough placement with a PCI (theoretically) can.

directional is just way more RNG for not enough extra benefit once you learn PCI tbh. Analogue theoretically is even better, but it's not enough extra benefit over what you get from PCI for the complexity.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

we're still probably 6 months out from the next game's release, but it's not uncommon for them to have a sale sometime in the postseason, so see if that happens before you go pay full price imo

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the odds on the all star/home run derby packs kinda suck on top of relatively low sample sizes

like, if my math is right (and it's probably wrong I'm poo poo at math) something like 15 packs of base rounds is just normal unlucky and not even super crazy unlucky or anything

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

the card is always a 65, you've just leveled up equipment called sparkplug or w/e that raises his stats

yeah I hate it too

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

iirc the last two years we've had 10 real innings but the 10th inning dropped late october last year, so who knows how it'll happen this time. We're definitely getting 9th inning on friday, and team affinity 5 the next week so you should be good for content at least through this month regardless though

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

late march to aprilish; with the caveat that with the MLB labor dispute it might end up getting delayed this year

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

all the team affinity missions/inning 1/whatever the gently caress we call FOTF I guess are giving like, 500 xp each which feels...uselessly low?

mini seasons also appear to be...way loving stronger because you can get like 20k xp a mini season (plus what you get from each of the individual games) that you can do entirely on rookie. They appear to be 28 3 inning games plus whatever the playoffs are so not a nothing time investment, but winning it all also gives you 15 packs and BIAH pack so they seem the clear offline winner atm

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

first FOTF...and it's Sean Murphy...who won't even start for me because I took the cover Mauer rad.

As much as I get the idea of wanting to guarantee that most players don't have every single card from every set or whatever, not really liking the changes so far

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I mean, I could sell mauer, but I want to use the mauer. Bigger issue is that I'm more on the "why would you not let me sell the random card instead of the one I get to pick personally?"

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

but actually Aaron kinda fuckin stinks?? for a 94 overall he seems pretty bad unless you are just bringing him only vs a lefty starter, kinda disappointing. 85/77 pow/con vs R with no active quirks, seems worse than FOTF Brian Reynolds by a decent bit that I'm using at LF now

he gets 3B eligibility which is...kinda interesting at least? but yeah, this aaron card card sucked last season too

aperfectcirclefan posted:

How do you get the Legendary Scott Kazmir?

he's in the AL flashback packs you get at 30k, 90k, and 270k exp

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

finally finished my first mini season and yeah, and the playoffs are just 2 BO5 rounds, so at no point are you guaranteed hosed if you lose a single game, which is nice. Not sure it's overall better offline grind than the USA conquest map, as it's roughly 16-17 regular packs, 1ish prospect pack and a BIAH pack (2, if you win 20 games on All-star or higher difficulty) compared to 10 regular packs and 6 divisional prospect packs so roughly even, although I think it is better on pure EXP gain.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

monthly challenges are a weekly thing instead of an all at once thing. you can't actually finish the april ones yet.

yes it is very poorly signposted

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I actually don't know how to finish the April Monthly without buying other hitters since I did the math and my two guys won't even give me enough stars to get a third in stage 2 if I get all their xp and the hitter mission

to complete it without buying anyone you have to do everything, all the moments, missions, showdown and the "collect 5 april" collection in the program. If you're short you're missing something (probably the collection)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

was super fun to go into the brett collection thinking "yeah I'm not gonna be able to get him day one, but I'll probably have like, 4 or 5 vouchers ready" only to learn that I have literally 1 and the closest I'm in anything else is like 50-70k away.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

was gonna skip this year's game, wasn't super thrilled and ended up not playing for like, 5-6 programs because I just wasn't that into it, but they added the one thing I've been begging for, for years, in the negro leagues guys so gently caress it, pre-ordered even if I feel kinda bad about it

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

first 6ish hours of early access review: I hate how much I like jeets swing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

conceptually I like the idea of not having to face randy johnson every 5th game until the end of time, practically it feels like an excuse to get whales to buy new 99s every couple of months even more explicitly than previous years