Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I recommend for the first strike if you want to learn to take more pitches, take your thumb completely off the left stick and only hit X if it's coming right down the middle.

You also, imo, want to prime your brain for the first two strikes that I am NOT going to swing, and then rely on your lizard brain to go NO WE GOTTA SWING AT THIS ONE if it comes down the middle, and usually it will

And yeah just do a ton of batting practice, there's no substitute for it, it's a hard game but rewarding to hit in. Really focus on getting good timing, the things that determine exit velocity are like how far above/below the middle of the PCI your hit is, and your timing. It's generally more important to match the ball vertically on the PCI than horizontally, which makes sense if you think about what you're actually doing which is hitting it with a long relatively thin object. So really try to match the ball's height and get a good swing timing.

Oh yeah, good players also have said in youtubes don't use contact or power swings ever, I tend to agree unless you are just trying to foul pitches off with contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I forgot how much harder it is to hit vs people than the AI lol

I was playing on like all star and doing alright against the CPU and crushing conquest and all but as soon as I got online even into the 300s I feel like I'm hitting absolutely everything early or very early, I keep going THAT'S EARLY???

maybe that just means I'll be set for if I ever get up into Hall of Fame or something, lol

Still having fun though I just wish you could check swing without it being a strike 90% of the time

Edit; If anyone has this same problem, one thing that really helped me in BP just now was instead of swinging at what you imagine to be the correct timing, imagine trying to push the ball instead, which for me made me swing just enough later that I happen to get good most of the time now. Maybe I'll just have to imagine that I want to push the ball on lower difficulties, since last time I played the game I was practicing on legend and stuff it's really hard to consistently slow down.

That is not to say I could hit legend online though lol

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 21, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

Well gently caress that about to buy a bunch of the cheaper diamonds. Tried to buy Trout and it said insufficient stubs but literally everything else is at a huge discount so fuuuuuck it.

E: I found it and I think it's repeatable, but a little up to chance. You need enough stubs to afford whatever you're buying x2 . Go into the market and find the card you want to buy. When you're on the screen where you can buy wait for a while. You want someone to buy it at the price listed. Click buy, if that buy order is gone it will say no order found, but will subtract stubs (sometimes) . If you try to buy it again you'll purchase again before your stubs are refunded your stubs will be refunded and you'll have the card.

Don't @ me if this doesn't work for you!

lmao I love that we are sharing dupe bugs like this is ultima online in 1997

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
apparently also linking an xbox and PS4 console to the player hub is giving people just massive boosts in XP to where like a youtube I was looking at has completed the first inning program with 650k XP without even trying, it just gave him like 70k XP a game

incredible launch!!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

After a few hours of flipping cards for free I have completed the collections, even Trout, and am thoroughly looking forward to getting hate messages about my bought team as I play in the mid 300s.

lmao drat you just sat there and flipped cards at 1k for hours? (feel like that seems to be the spread on like everything after tax)

guess I could try that too that's nuts

I guess you'd only need to do uhh what like 1000 flips or something

Man I have discovered about myself that the CPU will not exploit this about me but real players will: I absolutely cannot tell when a pitch is going to be a curveball in the dirt and I will swing at 10/10 of them lmao

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 22, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So in the above instructions you're clicking buy it now? So I guess sometimes no one has bought it and you just eat the loss of actually paying the buy it now and having to re sell?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

Yea, buy it now, so I just keep it on the screen and wait a few minutes, browse the forums a bit, so I'm sure it's gone. It seems to only work when they subtract the stubs even though the order was gone and you didn't get the card. If you buy again between when the stubs are refunded and the first attempt to buy you get the card for free.

ok im gonna try to do this also we are like elite hackers

i already hack at pitches at an elite level so this is appropriate

when you were saying you have to go back in the market 4 times were you just making a joke about the servers or does it like kick you out of the market if you do the trick correctly

edit: lol maybe I'm not waiting long enough, I keep waiting a few mins and then getting "purchase successful!" and groaning and having to sell at a 10% loss

hmm ok I was able to get one where I was unable to purchase and it still took the stubs, and I immediately hit buy now, and then I got the card but my stubs never came back. does that just happen sometimes with this also?

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 22, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

Yea, it happened a few times but most of the time it came back. Godspeed, I'm really not sure how reliable it is.

Well so far i've punted like 6k stubs in the attempt by just waiting and then the price goes down so the original card is still there and I end up buying it, lol

That's my fault though for not trying this on like 1k stub cards to get used to the process, but I also have a team I'm mostly happy with for now so I don't really care if I end up losing some stubs, all my dudes are gonna be like from team affinity or rewards sooner or later anyway

I'm in for love of the game of trying to gently caress over Sony San Diego

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

I'm sorry Stefan :( maybe I just got lucky by poo poo internet and messy prime time servers.

lmao no it's fine now I just really want to get this to work but I keep waiting 10 mins and coming back and clicking BUY NOW and then the price has gone down and I just bought the 4th cheapest option or something instead of it disappearing lol

It feels like a big part of this is you need some way to predict the card actually will not be there and I'm not sure what that would be, maybe today's just a time in the day when prices go down so it's bad but it would work at night

I appreciate you sharing it either way, I can grind back whatever I lose trying this by doing more honest flipping if I want haha

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 22, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

barnold posted:

With this weekend being a 2X 1st Inning XP, it would also be a good time to do the intentional walk glitch if you feel like mindlessly accruing tens of thousands of XP for the program.

You need 2 controllers to do it - sign the second controller into a guest profile, go into Exhibition (Live Rosters), set the guest profile controller as the home team and your main account as the away team, then just start intentionally walking with the 2nd controller. Your squad gets XP for every walk and every run that crosses the plate, so once you walk bases loaded and guys start coming in, the XP grind begins. When you're done, quit to the main menu (you don't have to finish the game or even the inning), once you get to the menus force close the game and reopen it and check your 1st Inning XP.

I did this today for a little while and got about ~12.5k XP for 150 runs walked in, which only took about 10-15 minutes or so. It's stupid as hell but I'm probably going to do it because the daily missions are totally loving worthless at 200XP each, collecting the 42 players is hard, and I already got Eric Davis.

You can also just leave it running all night and it will auto pitch after a minute

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm making slow but steady progress at getting better at hitting. My first dude I made I was hitting like 120 or some poo poo and my current guy is around 200 after a buncha games lol. I was at 250ish for a while but hit a slump. I kinda struggle with high pitches and inside pitches so if I think an inside pitch is coming I try to sit the PCI there since I am not at all good at being reactionary and moving it there.

I still strike it out a lot and I'm way too aggressive sometimes. I've gotten better at being patient but I'm still not as patient as I should be.

Hoping I can eventually grind my way up to a halfway decent level of hitting. Games pretty fun even though I suck rear end at it. Watching videos of people perfectly putting the PCI where they want it and reacting to pitches blows my mind. Half of my hits are just because I decided to sit on a location. My ability to react and see the pitch and time it accordingly is pretty hard.

I'm getting better though slowly but surely.

One thing that I remind myself is a lot of those people have been playing the show for like 5+ years, playing hours a day, so be patient with yourself

It's insanely hard!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've been figuring out a lot of little tricks that help me that maybe I also noticed in 19 and forgot but two more are:

- don't hair trigger your swing button. that is, take your finger mostly off of it, completely relax your thumb. make it just a tiny bit harder to press the button and you're less likely to get swings you don't actually want, especially now that check swings are terrible this year

- really try to picture the ball's flight in your head in 3d, don't just look at the 2d representation of it, try to really in real time conceptualize where it is in terms of like how far away from your batter it is. when I started actively doing this I got much better timing. however, I suspect at higher pitch difficulties it may just be too fuckin fast for this to help so we'll see.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've had them be balls sometimes but they easily say you went around 5x as much as before or higher

really hoping that gets patched, I have been a Dirty Swing Checker since when I played High Heat 2001 as a kid and it's hard to completely break the habit of

Also yeah about having a rhythm to the pitch that does help too, if you count it off when they release and try to learn the time it takes for the fastball to get there, you know you always have at LEAST that much time and so it can help against pressing the button early if you know you have that much time to aim

Sometimes I feel like I also panic swing for instance if I'm waiting low with the PCI and they throw it lower than that, I swing as soon as the ball comes to where the PCI is even though it's very fast and obviously nowhere near there yet. I feel like the "picturing the ball in 3d" like I was talking about helps with that, and so does being really mindful of the timing. However, I will still swing at every curveball in the dirt lol

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 24, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

Is there any way to fix dynamic difficulty? It's starting me on like legend or hall of fame and I absolutely cannot hit on those difficulties lol. I noticed it recently because I was getting annoyed I was struggling. The thing said it's supposed to start on beginner and work its way up based on how you do but I swear it's just put me on like hall of fame from the start.

I guess I should just set it to all star or veteran or something? Beginner was way too easy. I was hoping dynamic would work and make it harder if I'm doing too well but it just seems to say gently caress you and immediately puts it on like legend for me which I'll strikeout 5 times a game on. I don't get why when I set it on dynamic it doesnt start easier and then get harder? Unless there's a setting I'm missing. Like the tooltip says that it should start on beginner and get harder but it's starting off way too fuckin hard for me and not getting easier even when I strikeout a hundred times

I've never used it but yeah that sounds broken, I'd just leave it on veteran and see how you do then move it up to all star when that feels too easy

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's not as bad as you think, I'm not great but I practiced on legend for awhile and you can still make ok contact with the edge of the pci if your timing is good and you get a bonus if it's towards the middle of the strike zone

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can pretty much only play the game when other people are at work or asleep lol

As soon as it turns like 8 PM EST servers crash for a few hours, every day

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was too busy grinding team affinity to get any of the rewards other than the 1st inning but I'm really close to getting Jackie now and I have 500k stubs from trading the old fashioned way, never did get the grem trick to work haha

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I dunno what it is but I just cannot slow myself down enough on outside pitches in online matches, even fastballs I get "just early" sometimes and when people throw me sliders or curveballs I get either early or very early every time no matter how much I try to slow down. Even when I consciously try to slow down I get "early" at best and I'm just like what the hell!! I feel like if I swing any slower it will be behind the catcher by the time I actually swing.

I'm not sure why but it really does feel like playing online on all-star (in the events or where I'm at in ranked seasons) feels much harder than batting practice, even besides the fact that people are throwing more effective pitches, it just seems like the ball is like coming at me faster but when I swing faster I'm early every time, I dunno what's up with that. I can't tell if the actual animation is being affected by lag somehow in a way that's loving me up.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol what a broke rear end game

still pretty fun when you can play it

I completed Jackie and I'm almost done completing the NL East for Tom Glavine

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Even with no magic Grem Hax, I'm 600k away from completing the live collection, which is pretty sick. I only have left to buy Trout and 4 Yankees.

If you want to do any flipping at all, anyone in the thread, Friday is absolutely the day to do it. Tons of packs get opened because of all the new cards, and I think I made like 100k in an hour or something of flipping on like a 200k budget. I mean it's very boring and all but you can do something else while you do it very easily, whether you're using the console or PC.

I think my ultimate lineup is going to be something insane like.

LF - Alfonso
CF - Trout
RF - Buxton (not sure if I should switch these two and let Trout take the off role hit and put him in RF because he's slower?)
3B - Chipper
SS - Created Player
2B - Jackie
1B - Papi
C - idk Realmuto so far since he has a cannon and people love stealing online

It's insane that I'll have to bench like Acuna, Finley, Ernie Banks, but there's just too many good players!!!

I'm getting slowly better at hitting too which is really satisfying, I have a 67% winrate in the events which I think is like not terrible, I'm batting .275 in seasons with a 3.3 ERA and around 600 rating now. I mean .275 is pretty bad considering my team is all monsters, even though I don't have the above team yet I still have like Acuna instead of Trout, Gallo instead of Chipper, Freeman instead of Ortiz, but honestly it's better than I thought I'd be doing a month in of really playing a lot, and I feel like it won't take me too long to be able to really start hitting well hopefully.

I still cannot recognize a slider early enough or slow up enough on it, haha.

It's really insane though that I've spent a month on this game granted playing a lot and doing trading stuff while I'm working but I did the same thing with FIFA and had a "very good" team that still cost 1/5 of what the real whales had, a month into this I almost have the best actual team possible in the game with no money spent

Oh yeah if anyone wants to level up your CAP this is by far the fastest way, it might get patched sometime so if you have a few hours I definitely recommend doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o45R-y29rQ8

Basically there's already a thing where you can sim through RTTS to get credit for stats and quickly max out an archetype, this guy took it even a step further by editing the roster of every other team in the RTTS so that everyone has 1 in every stat and you get like several hits a game and sometimes the game just basically never ends and you get (no joke) 100+ hits in a game. So this makes the grind way less harsh if you just download his rosters and use those, and leveling up your CAP even to gold gives you a player that's like equal or probably better than the 99 overall Chipper.

I would recommend doing the path "Sparkplug -> Slugging Sparkplug -> The Hawk" because that ends with a power hitting shortstop which does not conflict in position with any of the current 99s, which the other ones mostly do (the exception being the RF path I think?)

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 17, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty decent in online modes, maybe it's balanced around that. I play Realmuto strictly because people try to steal so much instead of the TA Salvador Perez, and it's literally won me games I think, where people assume getting Lofton on base is an auto steal and then I throw them out.

But I mean that's not to say you can't steal, I have also at the same time failed to throw out people with perfect catcher throws off of slide steps, but with less good catchers since that's mostly during the current event (silver players only)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I love this game but the hitting is upsetting sometimes lol. I went, no joke, 1 for 4 on only perfect contacts today on veteran in one game vs the orioles in conquest

I'm uploading the clip because lmao

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ok I cilpped them together

this is all from ONE GAME on veteran against a like 70 overall pitcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyBU4AguAig

I know not everything can be a hit but come on man lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

blossommirage posted:

Should have power swung, coward. :colbert:

But yeah, perfect perfects are turbo nerfed this year.

The Realmuto (or Swanson? whoever it was) non home run is actually I think the most reasonable out of all of them, it's poo poo like the Acuna drive straight to the 3b that I think is dumb. Early/good placement, sure, but perfect timing should mean you don't rip it straight to a corner.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? That PCI is huge. Meaning the timing window and pci placement to get a perfect/perfect is probably huge, too, and you can't really hit off the tip of the bat on an outside pitch and expect a home run even if the game says its perfect/perfect.

I notice my perfect/perfects get a lot more consistent at higher rankings online.

Veteran, this was just grinding conquest to clear TA and missions so I want to run up stats if I can

Keep in mind also if you're judging based on my on screen PCI I have outer on and inner off, just so I can see the ball a little better, that's not the inner PCI you're seeing

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

I was talking about the bottom left.

I just don't think perfect/perfects are all that reliable at lower difficulties, hitting a perfect/perfect on Hall of Fame still gets me some line outs but I've also shot one right back to the pitcher and they got taken out of the game for a concussion, can't argue with those results!

Yeah I mean as I said it's on veteran but I think generally afaik the same results get you the same dice roll no matter the difficulty, I think the lower difficulties just make it easier to get those good results via increasing the PCI window, I do BP on hall of fame and legend and I don't feel like my results are particularly better with perfects on those. I think I just got really unlucky in this game.

One time in 19 I hit the pitcher twice in one inning and actually killed him the second time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrTd4gHZHeQ

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing a lot and doing flips and able to have still kept up with having the best team in the game with no money spent other than Leiter and Rivera (working on Rivera) atm but I'm a coward and don't really play ranked haha

I got to around 700 rating then stopped cause I was just like WELL WHAT IF I JUST LOSE EVERY GAME but I've played people with world series tags in events and BR and only lost like 2-0 or 1-0 and that kinda stuff so I might be able to do it I dunno

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

Being able to get World Series rewards for getting 40 wins has been a God send for people like me with more time to play than skill.

Haha I've been spending all my time grinding TA and just a couple weeks after I finished the first one they dropped the second one! So I haven't gone for the ranked rewards. Especially since they are buyable, so I can just eventually get them through flipping cards. But yeah I think it's cool they made the event rewards, flawless BR rewards, etc all available through just winning a bunch

BTW for anyone learning to hit, just some advice from me, I'm not like great but I think I"ve gotten a lot better in the past few weeks:

I see a LOT of youtubers advocating setting the fastballs to fastest in sliders then hitting on legend in BR so that by comparison everything else seems slow and easy. I DON'T think this is a good idea. This goes against every principle of learning anything that I have heard of from pretty much any other field. If you are learning an instrument, you want to do it at a speed where you can play it perfectly and then speed up, you don't go right in and say "well I want to play Eruption so I'm gonna play it 50% faster than Van Halen because then normal speed will seem easy". If you were hitting a baseball IRL you wouldn't go start on the 90 mph machine so that your local league would seem easier, if you are learning

What I did and would recommend is starting on rookie and trying to get a perfect every single contact, or as close as you can to it, while learning to recognize when to lay off. For me, it's been especially helpful to really try and find the pixel of the release point, then watch the lateral movement of the ball out of the hand, knowing for instance if it's a right handed pitcher you want the ball to either not move at all or go slightly to the right.

For a few reasons I think this is the most useful thing to track:

1 - If the ball goes high or low of the zone by a little bit, you can actually go get it and have a decent hit if it's in the middle because your PCI will go a bit up down left right of the zone but will not reach the corners or outside the corners
2 - If you misread the ball a little bit it's probably going to still be like generally over the plate, as long as you're really paying close attention to how fast it's moving left or right
3 - If you can generally swing at pitches that are right over the middle but high or low, you don't have to adjust your timing, whereas you have to normally swing earlier (sometimes much earlier) on inside pitches and late on outside pitches and this is hard to do on the fly

I don't swing at anything that's on the far left or right of the plate (or try not to) until I have 2 strikes, and this has helped a ton. I played on rookie in BP until I could get a ton of perfects and now I'm doing it on veteran, same thing, really concentrating on getting perfects instead of playing on legend and trying to get any contact at all.

One other mechanical thing that I dunno if this is gonna work for everyone but I also find it's much easier to do the micro movements of the aiming with control if I do it with like my whole wrist instead of just my thumb. It's hard to describe but I basically lay my thumb so that it's across the stick at a 45 degree angle where pushing straight up or down on the stick with my thumb would go top right or bottom left. From there I just keep my hand loose and I just kinda move the stick by actually using my wrist to push or pull my thumb and the thumb just sorta mostly goes along for the ride? Again it's pretty hard to describe but I find this way more stable and I'm way less likely to pull the PCI too far in a direction or anything.

I am still having a ton of trouble differentiating breaking balls that are going below the zone with ones that are going to end up along the bottom of the strike zone though. I don't really know how to fix this because you can't set it in BP to only throw you balls to a specific area just out of the zone, only strikes. I would love for it to throw me curves and changeups only along the bottom of the zone or out of the zone but you can't do that, so people can still get me with them real easily.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 6, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you can at least combine the two and like have him do a couple showdowns to get a couple of the team affinity players to try and do their missions while he does the conquest. Definitely a lot of the best players are from TA though, and you can grind TA 1 and 2 at the same time at least with plate appearances etc

TA 1 is even earning at double speed now!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to report another thing I did for a day or two of practice that helped me a TON:

I really think after messing with different approaches that the best thing is to above all else try to read the timing of the pitch, as far as like whether it's a fastball or breaking ball and get the right timing. The game is pretty forgiving about bad PCI placement, even to the point where I've gotten home runs off balls that aren't even in the PCI, as long as your timing is good.

So what I did was I dropped the game all the way to veteran, but you could even use rookie if veteran is too hard, and went to batting practice and had it only throw strikes, and I just concentrated on like trying to get the PCI on it but above all else to get only good timing. I feel also like when you train your brain to focus on what type of pitch it is like this the location sort of also comes as a bonus, like you can't recognize it's a slider without also knowing how it's going to break. The next step is to actually get your thumb to actually be able to quickly adjust the PCI based on the pitch, like actually drop it or move it to the side while you wait for the break, which is pretty tough in real time so that's why I advise doing it on rookie or veteran to start.

Basically I just started by doing BP where I only did strike fastballs and I got to where I could just nail those every time, in order to get natural at aiming and timing fastballs, then from then on I treated every ball like a fastball initially and then reacted and moved the PCI and waited if it was breaking. I know that's what everyone says to do but they don't really detail how to get to where you can do that, and the above is what I did that really helped me. I couldn't hit very well at all in this game on release and I've been hitting like .400 in this current event and getting 6-7 wins at a time where before I would just get 1 or 2 then lose 2. One exercise I do also is to go into team practice and see what the highest difficulty is that I can drain the pitcher's confidence all the way to 0, and I've gotten up to Hall of Fame doing that so far, haven't been able to do it on legend yet but I think it's a good measuring stick of how you are at just raw reacting to pitches without being able to use any opponent reads.

Anyway hope this helps someone, I thought it changed my game a lot.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

barnold posted:

imo anyone who wants to practice and get better at the game should not be playing on rookie under any circumstances. Practicing on rookie is going to teach you insanely bad batting habits. Veteran minimum for the cage, all the way. The difficulty increase overall is negligible and it will prevent you from getting used to the artificial hang times of pitching on rookie, which you will have to do extra work to undo once you move up.

other than that, really great post and very helpful for new players :toot:

idk I disagree I think rookie is fine for getting the pci perfect and I used it a lot when I was starting out

I don't think it's different from any other skill in life where you want to practice as slow as you have to to get it exactly right at first then speed up

That's just my opinion though I could be wrong but I don't think it stopped me from improving

I mean I do agree with you though that veteran is not much harder and you could probably also just start there and be fine

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ihatepants posted:

This lightning Kyle Schwarber card is loving insane. Will probably be the best C card we'll get until the very end of the year.

I'm just real nervous about the 75 arm strength against how many good 99 speed/stl players there are

I was gonna maybe play him in RF or play him in his normal position and move Soriano over to right

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheFlyingLlama posted:

that speed in LF is gonna be rough anywhere but a bandbox, let alone any other OF positions.

I think he's either a bad defense catcher or honestly a pinch hitter for most teams

That's true I guess he's significantly slower than Trout even if his fielding is similar

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have Soriano, Trout, and Acuna currently and am pretty tempted to put Dominguez in for Acuna mostly because I think the switch hitting is worth a lot to me

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I haven't gotten up to where I'm good enough to play on legend at all but I'm still playing a lot and I think I'm like ok, like I hang with world series players in events/BR and stuff and don't get blown out, but man I cannot hit that DeGrom card at all even on all-star playing the event

I did the Acuna proram and the Ohtani collection so I mean apart from a couple players like Vida Blue and Al Leiter I still have mostly the best team in the game but I guess that's only barely better than one that's 1/10 the cost because they're so generous in this game

You said before you're like a borderline WS player right? How long have you played the game? I feel like I'm hitting a wall around HOF difficulty, and even on all-star I just can't react fast enough to some of these 102 mph pitches and stuff in the events/BR

When I do win it's mainly just by outsmarting people I think and using my poker background to get reads on people pretty well and if they throw the poo poo I'm expecting I can blast it, or if I can at least narrow it down to like "this guy always throws a fastball somewhere in the strike zone as his third pitch" or like "this guy never throws two fastballs in a row" I can hit pretty well but if I have to just go purely reactive like in this quick count event I don't do great even though I do BP a lot

I keep changing like my approach to batting, like not my strategy but my actual mechanical approach with the controller and like sort of how I'm physically trying to aim, how close I'm trying to get, when I'm trying to move the stick, how closely should my eye be tracking the ball, etc. Can't really nail down what I think is best and no one on youtube or anything goes over it in enough detail. I'm not even sure anyone knows what they are doing, they just learned to do it.

For instance for awhile I was trying to like really get the PCI right on the ball but I think on the higher difficulties, it just makes you too slow, you can't be that accurate, you have to just really focus on the timing and try to be "close enough" and just hope you happened to get the PCI on it, there just isn't enough time to like fine tune where it's going to be and I also just physically find it hard to pull the thumb stick up and in fast enough on righty-righty high inside fastballs.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 19, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

there's a lot of 800+ players, myself included, for whom several pitchers are borderline impossible to hit at hof or above (Edward god drat Cabrera, glavine, Paxton, now degrom). those guys are basically everyone's rotation when you get above 800, so most games are 2-1 barn burners with all the runs coming on lucky dingers. I'm usually up and down around 900 and when I have to hit on legend (ie, I'm above 900 and playing another 900+ player) it is just lol. I'm at the point where now I just lose a couple of games intentionally to get back below 800 and actually hit the ball sometimes.

what you described is pretty much what we all do...eat outs until you ID a tendency or two, then try to guess right and hope you don't miss. it is engaging but is mentally taxing. for me at least. sometimes I just want to crush dingers in a 13-12 dong fest.

there are folks out there who can actually "hit" at hof+ (like as in recognize pictures and move the PCI to where the pitch is and swing with appropriate timing) but I will almost certainly never be one of those people. it is also very clear when you get matched up against one of them.

Yeah I guess it's tough cause you see guys on YouTube like Yourfriendkyle or pitching_Rebel or whoever who are just freaks who really can just react and paste it and score 11 runs in a BR game and stuff like that and I just need to keep in mind those guys probably have thousands of hours in batting practice and thousands more in game time over the years

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

yeah...like, I think I play a lot and I think I have around 130 ranked season games so far this year. couple that with all of the programs and moments and showdowns and poo poo and it's quite a bit of time, especially for an adult with a job and kids who basically can only play after his wife goes to bed.

I'm sure natural talent plays into it -- which I'm also sure I have next to none of -- but just the amount of time those top 100 guys put into this activity is kind of eye-watering when you really think about it. at least they're finding a way to monetize it, of sorts.

anyway point being definitely don't feel like there aren't a zillion of us out there, like me, who also cannot catch up to degroms fastball up and in, both in this game and in real life...

if you ever wanna play some friendlies let me know, I think it would be cool to have someone also to play practice sets with where we can tell each other to only throw pitches we have problems with but with more control (like for instance I can say throw high and in fastballs mixed with low and away sliders or some combo like that whereas you can't set specific locations to specific pitches with the CPU)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

Having a friendly scrim partner to call out your pitch tendencies is probably an amazing perk too. I try to evaluate myself and the game makes it easy for a particular batter but tendances/contact/shift/etc you need more data.

Yeah if anyone else here wants to play and we can try to soul read each other I'm game

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

I have over 500 ranked games played and have not even tried to monetize anything. But I can reach world series!

I should probably actually try to reach world series at some point, I just keep getting to 700 and then stopping playing ranked entirely lol

Too scary!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the game gives you insanely good teams for cheap which is fun, you can grind all you want and the best possible team in the game will only be like 10% better than a casual team which I think is totally fine