Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Literally nothing else is happening in sports right now so let's yell about old drafts while sitting in our homes, lonely and surrounded by mountains of toilet paper.

One of my favorite things is going back and looking at drafts three years after the fact, which many experts agree is the right timeframe to properly judge a draft class. With everyone heading into the final year of their rookie contracts and fifth-year options due for the first-round picks, teams are pretty much doing the same evaluation we are, so it's not all armchair analysis. As always, I'll start with my team and everyone else can praise or bury their dumb team's draft picks.

Seattle Seahawks

1st round, pick 26: Traded to Falcons for picks 31, 95, and 249 -- Atlanta took Takk McKinley with this pick. Stop me if you heard this one: John Schneider traded down in the first round. They missed out on Tre'Davious White and T.J. Watt, but that's hindsight talking, I don't know if either guy was seriously on the table for Schneider.

1st round, pick 31: Traded to 49ers for picks 34 and 111 -- San Francisco took Rueben Foster with this pick. Safe to say that Seattle dodged a bullet there.

2nd round, pick 34: Traded to Jaguars for picks 35 and 187 -- It was just getting comical at this point. Jacksonville took Cam Robinson with this pick.

2nd round, pick 35: Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State -- What looked like a potential steal ended up becoming one of the strangest sagas in franchise history. McDowell had some Top-10 hype in college, but vague concerns about his attitude/maturity dropped him to the second round. He seemed like a natural fit in Seattle (Pete Carroll has never shied away from "character concern" types) but we never got to find out -- an offseason ATV accident (to this day we still don't know the details of) ended his pro career before it began, and spawned a messy courtroom drama as the team tried to recoup his signing bonus. He has since gotten into more legal trouble, and is currently serving jail time for an altercation with police in 2019. This would be an easy F, but it doesn't feel right to simplify it that way. While it's never been confirmed, there's a strong suspicion that the ATV crash permanently hosed his brain, as evidenced by his erratic behavior and failure to get medically cleared years after the fact. For those reasons, I don't feel comfortable grading this pick. Just a sad situation all around. No grade

2nd round, pick 58: Ethan Pocic, OL, LSU -- A center in college, Pocic kicked over to guard while the team went through its usual carousel of offensive line injuries. He's settled in as a depth piece who can make spot starts, but never good enough to keep a job. Lost most of 2019 to a back injury. Grade: C

3rd round, pick 90: Shaquill Griffin, CB, UCF -- "Shaq" won a starting job halfway through his rookie year after Jeremy Lane got hurt and never looked back, eventually taking over as the CB1 when Richard Sherman left. While the Sherman comparisons were, uh, superficial at best (two black guys with dreads, wow, really deep stuff there), Griffin has developed into one of the league's better corners. Earned his first Pro Bowl in 2019. Grade: A+

3rd round, pick 95: Lano Hill, S, Michigan -- Mostly a special teams guy who's never done enough to crack the starting lineup, even after Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor were gone. Grade: C-

3rd round, pick 102: Naz Jones, DT, North Carolina -- Has done nothing of note, likely would've been cut last year if it wasn't for a training camp injury that got him stashed on IR. Grade: D

3rd round, pick 106 Amara Darboh, WR, Michigan -- Sucked, cut in 2018. Is currently on his fourth team in less than two years. John Schneider is weirdly hit-or-miss with his mid-round WRs -- for every Tyler Lockett there's like four Darbohs and Kevin Norwoods who do absolutely nothing. Grade: F

4th round, pick 111: Tedric Thompson, S, Colorado -- The team was counting on him to be an important piece following the departures of Thomas and Chancellor, but despite some flashy highlights he's looked mostly out of his depth, and prone to game-changing gaffes. A season-ending injury, and the Quandre Diggs trade, more or less cost him his starting job last year. Grade: C

5th round pick: Forfeited due to violation of offseason practice regulations -- lol

6th round, pick 187: Mike Tyson, S, Cincinnati -- Sharing the same name as the boxer is the first and only thing that people will ever remember him for. Grade: D

6th round, pick 210: Justin Senior, OL, Mississippi State -- Literally know nothing about this guy. Apparently he was on the Chiefs last offseason and got cut before camp, is he eligible to get a ring? Grade: It's the late 6th who cares

7th round, pick 226: David Moore, WR, East Central -- Worked his way up the depth chart and has become a solid weapon for Russ. I'm not nearly as high on him as other Seahawk fans are, and don't think he's starting material. But hey, for a 7th-round pick from a DII school, that's a loving win. Grade: A+

7th round, pick 249: Chris Carson, RB, Oklahoma State -- Speaking of wins, look at Carson here just 7 picks away from Mr. Irrelevant, taking over as the bellcow and reaching 1,000 yards two years in a row. Carson is far from perfect -- his fumble problems are infamous at this point, he's a grinder who needs heavy touches to get going, which becomes a game-script problem when the team falls behind, and he's now ended 2 out of 3 years with a serious injury. But when healthy and focused, he's a perfect fit for Pete's ground-and-pound philosophy,. Grade: A+

After a series of straight-up bad drafts, Schneider finally got back on track in 2017, picking up solid depth pieces and finding some real gems in the later rounds, which was his bread and butter when building up the Super Bowl teams. They did get too cute with trading down in the early rounds and the McDowell pick was a disaster, which has to bring the overall grade down. But for the most part, it was a good bit of business that produced some new stars for the post-LOB era. Overall: B

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This was an amazing draft for the Patriots

1st - Traded
2nd - Traded
3rd - Traded
4th - Forfeited
5th - Traded
6th - Traded
7th - Traded

They made 5 other trades during the draft

They end up making 4 picks:

3-83 - Derek Rivers
3-85 - Antonio Garcia
4-131 - Deatrich Wise
6-211 - Conor McDermott

Of them, Wise is a solid rotational d-lineman.

Players traded for:

Brandin Cooks
Kony Ealy
Barkevious Mingo
Kyle Van Noy
Michael Williams

So a good starting linebacker, 1 good year of a WR, a pair of depth guys to show for this draft.

But they won a Superbowl the next season, so A+. (okay really the guys they should've drafted in this draft should be decent players now, instead of say, the stone zeros they were running out at the skill positions last year, but hey).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Kansas City Chiefs

1: Patrick Mahomes: is Patrick Mahomes. Has a questionable ketchup addiction, other than that seems ok. Tempted to just end this post here. Error no grade high enough

2: Tanoh Kpassagnon: project DE out of Villanova (which is FCS, and bad for FCS, in football). Didn't really flash at all his first two years but part of that might be Bob Sutton related. Solid contributor this last year and I'm happy to have him around. If he ever truly puts it together he could be scary because he's a very large very athletic man. Call it a B-?

3: Kareem Hunt: I mean, great on the field. General hothead who kicked a girl and also got in at least two other fights and got kicked off the team. When he was here he was good (on the field). Dropped the class

4: Jehu Chesson: WR out of Michigan who had a knee injury before his final year. Looked great the season before, never really produced the season after before the draft. But had a lovely quarterback throwing to him so you could squint and hope. Hasn't done anything really, Chiefs cut him after 2 years and he signed with Washington's practice squad. Apparently the Jets own his rights now. D for a few special teams plays.

5: Ukeme Eligwe: ILB from Georgia Southern. Big athlete, generated some early hype because he's pretty fast and looks the part. Just not very good at football. Got a sack once and we're getting to the part where any production is good, so D.

6: Leon McQuay III: S from USC who I'd completely forgotten about. Grandfather was a Jets RB back in the day so bloodlines. He was cut and signed to the practice squad his rookie season, signed to the active roster for a grand total of 6 days or something because of injury. I don't remember him totally embarrassing himself in the one game he played but I don't remember anything good either. They did keep him around on the practice squad until before last season, as far as I know he's out of football now. Call it F but a 6th round F so who cares?

Overall grade: C'mon you already know.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 14, 2020

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
The Jets drafted Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye in rounds 1 and 2, which was real cool. Jamal Adams is the best safety in football and Marcus Maye is a pretty good FS when healthy. Literally every other pick was a catastrophe, though. Notably, their 5th round pick (Dylan Donahue, a DE/OLB out of West Georgia) got arrested on a DWI charge after driving the wrong way through the Lincoln Tunnel. Good stuff! They also took swings on two WRs in the middle rounds (Ardarius Stewart from Bama in the 3rd and Chad Hansen from Cal in the 4th) who made zero difference on any NFL team.

Other notable picks:

Jordan Leggett in the 5th round. He was a real lovely TE out of Clemson who was not only bad, but also soft and injury prone.

Elijah McGuire in the 6th round. He was the bad RB who scored the game winning TD against Buffalo in 2018 that took the Jets out of the Nick Bosa running.

Overall grade: B-/C+. This grade is almost solely because of how much Jamal Adams rules.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 14, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This year is kinda weird because in many draft classes you can look at the first round and it provides an instant snapshot of that era, whether it being full of generational superstars or historical busts. Like, we only needed a couple years to look at 2013 and see that it's arguably the worst class of the modern era, while 2011 and 2004 are remembered as among the best with multiple future HOFers in the first round.

So for the 2017 first round we have a handful of megastars (Mahomes, Watson, McCaffrey), some legit All-Pro level talent (Jamal Adams, Marshon Lattimore, T.J. Watt, Tre'Davious White, Myles Garrett who's still great despite his obvious baggage), and some guys who just stink (Trubisky, Corey Davis, John Ross, Garrett Bolles, Taco Charlton). But there's also a lot of guys who might be good, but either through injury or coaching usage it feels like they still haven't reached their potential. Mike Williams, Solomon Thomas (who would've been in the "stinks" category before this year), Malik Hooker, O.J. Howard, Jabrill Peppers, David Njoku. Basically a lot of guys who, if the chips fall right, can really elevate this draft class, or can really sink it if they never become a thing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the bengals drafted 11 players and none of it was any help except joe mixon and carl lawson. the kicker they drafted and cut won the super bowl and kicked a 100 yard fg. D-

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The Cleveland Browns

1.1 Myles Garrett: Because this is the Browns I have to praise them for making the obviously correct pick. Total stud at both sacks and helmet smashing A+

1.25 (From Texans) Jabrill Peppers Considered the biggest trap of the draft as a jack of all trades master of none with no true position. Played a bunch of extremely deep safety being almost entirely irrelevant. Will only be remembered for getting traded for OBJ and
https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1074789478940590082?s=20 Ask Giants fans if he's good I dunno man.

1.29 (Trade Up. Green Bay's pick)David Njoku Known for having stone hands and not blocking worth a poo poo. Rumor is he's trade bait right now. F

2.52 (From Tennessee) Dishone Kizer Project QB that wasn't considered a terrible gamble at this pick at the time. Whatever potential he had was wrecked by Hue Jackson and 0-16. Traded in a package for Damarious Randall and is out of the league now. F

3.65 Larry Ogunjobi Fan favorite pretty good defensive tackle. Excellent 2nd year but dropped off in '19. B

4.126 (From Denver) Howard Wilson In a stacked class of corners we got a dude who never saw the field after back to back season ender knee injuries in camp. C

5.160 Roderick Johnson perennial all pro name who sucks harder than Sasha Grey at tackle. F

6.185 Caleb Brantly considered a first round talent with a poo poo attitude. Considered a steal at the time. Did one year in cleveland then got picked up by Washington with 18 career tackles. F

7.224 Zane Gonzalez Never draft a kicker. Cut from the team after a particularly poo poo game in 2018 in a bizarre set of circumstances. I've heard he's ok in Arizona. F

7.252 Matthew Dayes depth running back that didn't even do well with Shanny in SF. F

Overall Grade: D 1 starter from 3 first round picks tells the story. Sashi Brown could not evaluate talent to save his life. Ogunjobi was a nice surprise and I hope he rebounds but this was a trash draft that might've been saved by Dorsey's trades had they worked out.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bucs

1.19 O.J. Howard TE Alabama - Was expected to break out last season but caused 2 turnovers in the the first game of the year and was in the dog house much of the year. Probably getting traded this offseason because Arians doesn't know how to use TE's. C
2.50 Justin Evans S Texas A&M - Had a good rookie year then had foot injuries and hasn't played in like 2 years. Career is probably over. D
3.84 Chris Godwin WR Penn State - Pro Bowler. Already one of the best receivers in football. A+
3.107 Kendell Beckwith LB LSU - Good rookie year then hosed his foot up in a car accident which ended his career. D
5.162 Jeremy McNichols RB Boise State - Off the field headcase and pretty much hated by everyone. Cut or traded or something to the 49ers. F
7.223 Stevie Tu'ikolovatu DT USC - Had a redshirt first AND second season. Was among final cuts last year. F

Tons of potential in this draft class but two guys ended up with career ending injuries. Godwin owns at least. C overall.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Houston Texans

12. Deshaun Watson - the For Real Deal. About as good a pick as you could have made, and I'm glad we traded up to get him. A+

57. Zack Cunningham - I mean, he's alright. B-

89. D'Onta Foreman - Tore his ACL in his rookie year. Never the same afterwards. :smith:

130. Julién Davenport - Was bad. Traded to Miami for Laremy Tunsil, who is good! D-

142. Carlos Watkins - Done jack poo poo, but still on the team, so who knows! D+

169. Treston Decoud - Did nothing of note. D

243. Kyle Fuller - Practice squad guy now starting in Seattle. C-

Overall grade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHM0Ven6SKk out of 5

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
i would grade but

Cavauro posted:

the bengals drafted 11 players and none of it was any help except joe mixon and carl lawson. the kicker they drafted and cut won the super bowl and kicked a 100 yard fg. D-
is spot on

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Los Angeles Chargers

7. Mike Williams, WR - Rookie year was a wash, but the team knew that before they drafted him. His sophomore year was great, but he had a bit of a step back year in 2019. He's god huge play potential and I think he was worth the pick. B+

38. Forest Lamp, OG - Can't get on the field. As of now this pick is a bust. F

71. Dan Feeney, OG - Played pretty decently. Will be a starter next year. The line issues weren't always on him. Decent 3rd round pick. C+

113. Rayshawn Jenkins, S - Played okay. Good on special teams and a decent backup. C+

151. Desmond King, CB/S - All pro. Gem of a pick this late. A+

190. Sam Tevi, OT - Horrific tackle. Go away. F

225. Isaac Rochell, DT - Pleasant surprise for a 7th rounder. Made some plays. Good rotation guy. A-

Overall: Got two starters (and possibly three) starters and a solid rotation piece on the DL. I like this draft. B+

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm going to grade my 2017 mock draft for the Texans. Based on how they have done for their respective teams, rather than how I think they would have done.

1-25 Garrett Bolles LT He wasn't my first choice. In retrospect, I have to admit that this was a bad pick. He Gives up tons of penalties and gives me the impression of being rather stupid. Occasionally seems to have a good game, that is the only thing that saves him from an F grade. Still a bust though. D-

2-57 Pat Eiflein C/G Another Dud. Has been beset with injuries and has lost form. Can play centre or guard but isn't particularly good at either. I expect him to be cut D

3-89 Marcus Maye S Good value here. Has played well for the Jets when healthy. B

4-130 Damontae Kazee CB Got him in roughly the right spot. has converted to Safety so potentially could form a good tandem with Marcus Maye, they are both quite versatile. May have a bit of a dirty streak but that doesn't concern me B-

4-142 Anthony Walker JR LB Very good pick, has performed well for the Colts. I got him a little early but there is no doubting his worth. A

A very poor start to the draft only partially mitigated by good value late day 2/3. With Bolles and Eiflein I was reaching for need and ignored red flags that I thought could be coached. Taylor Moton instead of Bolles would have been a better pick. I could even have got Mahomes, who ended up in the 2nd round. That was hindsight though.
With Maye and Kazee I appear to have done a cut-price version of what the Jets ended up doing.
So in short a poor draft, especially compared to what actually happened. D

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

:words:

But they won a Superbowl the next season, so A+. (okay really the guys they should've drafted in this draft should be decent players now, instead of say, the stone zeros they were running out at the skill positions last year, but hey).

I mean, this depends on them being able to draft wide receivers which uh lmao

Random thoughts:

Brandin Cooks played in back-to-back Super Bowl losses, one for the Patriots and one against the Patriots. He's also a player who kind of confuses me because he's always not quite as good as it seems like he should be. Instead of being Sane AB he's... more competent Phillip Dorsett?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Buffalo Bills 2017 Draft

Round 1, Pick 27 from Kansas City : CB Tre'Davious White, LSUTre White Goalie Academy
Note the italics: the Chiefs took Patrick Mahomes with our original pick. It's something I will never forget, especially if Josh Allen busts after all.
But that's an unfair standard to hold any pick to. Luckily, Tre White played really well his first two years. And last year? He laid claim to being one of the league's top corners, even managing to shut down no less a receiver than DeAndre Hopkins for a whole half. Dude is a star and is set to make a fuckton of money. Grade: A

Round 2, Pick 37: WR Zay Jones, East Carolina
We coughed up a 3rd-round pick to trade up to get Zay Jones, and, well, he sucked. He's got the body and athleticism, but seems to struggle with the actually playing wide receiver bit. We fire-saled him to the Raiders this past off-season, determining that Isaiah McKenzie was a better third option.
We were right. Grade: F

Round 2, Pick 63: LT Dion Dawkins, Temple
Dawkins was thrust into the starting line-up his rookie year after starting LT Cordy Glenn got hurt, and played okay. Cordy Glenn was then traded to the Bengals in our mad quest to get picks for a quarterback in the 2018 draft, and Dion Dawkins became the permanent starter at LT. He's been firmly good, not great, but getting a good starting left tackle in the 2nd is some fantastic value. Plus, he's been much healthier than Glenn was. Grade: A-

Round 5, Pick 163: LB Matt Milano, Boston College
poo poo, he's from this draft too? Milano didn't do much his first year, but he became a regular starter in 2018 and has quickly grown into a good-to-great starting linebacker. He plays well against the run and is decent in coverage. Plus, he's still young, so he could well end up being a star. That's quite a find in Round 5! Grade: A+

Round 5, Pick 171: QB Nathan Peterman, the school name was intercepted
So was this analysis. You don't expect much out of a 5th-round QB, and Nathan Peterman exceeded expectations by producing interceptions at a rate that would make Jameis Winston blush. Tyrod Taylor was inexplicably benched for him ahead of a game against the San Diego Chargers, and after a 5 interception first-half, the Bills sheepishly trotted out Tyrod Taylor in garbage time, rather than allowing Peterman to claim his rightful place as the first man to throw 10 interceptions in one game. He never improved, and the Raiders inexplicably traded for him last offseason. Grade: Pick-6

Round 6, Pick 190: LB Tanner Vallejo, Boise State
I, uhhh, I don't even know who this guy is, but he's on some other roster in Madden, so I guess he's just some random depth linebacker who will last another year or so before playing in whatever abortive Spring league succeeds the XFL.

Overall Grade: A*
The asterisk is there because we could have and, with hindsight, definitely should have done our level best to ruin Pat Mahomes. However, that aside, this draft produced three high-level starters, and even the trash yielded draft picks from the Raiders, so it was pretty great. Certainly better than other Bills draft I remember grading like this.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chicago Bears

Round 1, Pick No absolutely not, no thanks, no

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

reddick - bust but we also moved him around between the linebacker spots what felt like once a month

baker - not a huge fan of his given how bad the entire defense is but 1 pro bowl for special teams and 1 for safety

chad williams - bust

dorian johnson - who?

will holden - who?

tj logan - broke his wrist, was never the return man/3rd down back we wanted, left to go play with arians

rudy ford - special teams guy

overall: F

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this thread is violence

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

this thread is violence

Hey, I waited all the way to the third post and didn't actually create the thread. It could be worse.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

especially if Josh Allen busts after all.
buddy do i have news for you

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Chicago :laugh:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Indianapolis Colts

Round 1, Pick 15: S Malik Hooker Was hyped coming out of college as a potential Ed Reed-level game breaker. Hasn't lived up to that. Terrific rookie season got cut short by injury, has shown flashes of that potential since but lacks consistency. Still easily the best DB on the team (besides maybe Kenny Moore) and likely to be extended for the right price. Grade: B+

Round 2, Pick 46 CB Quincy Wilson Drafted to be franchise CB1 or 2 for years to come, has only briefly sniffed that level of play. Dangled as trade bait the past couple of season with no takers, but has managed to stick on the roster. Grade: C-

Round 3, Pick 80 DE Tarell Basham Pass rushing prospect that didn't really pan out. Got traded to the Jets and as far as I know is still with them. Grade: D

Round 4, Pick 137 OT Zach Banner Cut before the season even started. Grade: F

Round 4, Pick 143 RB Marlon Mack Has emerged as the franchise RB, looks great and has been a big part of the revived Colts run game. Grade: A

Round 4, Pick 144 DT Grover Stewart Rotational d-lineman, started to emerge late last season. Grade: B

Round 5, Pick 158 CB Nate Hairston Showed some promise as a slot corner, but lost his job to Kenny Moore and was traded last year. Grade: C

Round 5, Pick 161 LB Anthony Walker Has held down one of the starting MLB slots since pretty much day one. Hasn't always been a stud, but he's been a solid complement to Darius Leonard. Grade: A

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the one redeeming part of this thread is colts posters liking Anthony Walker, easily one of the best players in northwestern history.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

dolphins 2017 draft

round 1- charles harris
round 2 - raekown mcmillan
round 3 - cordrea tankersley
round 5 - isaac asiata, davon godshaux
round 6 - vincent taylor
round 7 - isaiah ford

they basically all suck rear end

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

R.D. Mangles posted:

the one redeeming part of this thread is colts posters liking Anthony Walker, easily one of the best players in northwestern history.

He was very good value for the Colts.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Pittsburgh Steelers

1. TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin- One of the best pass rushers in football and an incredibly all around player. A legit DPOY caliber player. Can't get much better a pick than this. A+

2. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC- Was really incredible his first two seasons but fell off a cliff in his third year due to becoming the clear #1 target, getting injured a bunch, and not having a QB the entire season. Even with his disappointing this year was he's a baller and I believe he will bounce back. A-

3. Cameron Sutton, CB, Rocky Top- Has primarily been a rotational and depth player. Good special teams player, good hands, and good when called upon to play (which I wish would be more often than he is). I'd like some more production for sure but he's a good quality #3 CB/spot starter. B-

3. James Conner, RB, Pitt- Hometown boy who is absolutely incredibly when he's healthy. But he's very frequently hurt which is a major bummer. If he could stay healthy this would be an easy A but instead we'll go with another B-.

4. Josh Dobbs, QB, Rocky Top- Wasted pick. Not a very good QB (this was blatantly obvious if you bothered to ever watch him play in college) but Tomlin was dead set on picking a QB in this draft for whatever reason. They had a lot of interviews with Mahomes and were speculating on moving up. lol. Flipped to the Jags for a 5th rounder this past season. I doubt he sees any meaningful playing time again. They were in absolute dire need of a tight end in this draft and could've taken Greg Kittle here like I desperately wanted. gently caress. F

5. Brian Allen, CB, Utah- A tall, strong, lanky WR who converted to CB late in his college career. He was a real good special teams player who would flash at times in the preseason but never consistent enough to get regular playing time. Got cut after 2 years and might be somewhere else now. D

6. Colin Holba, LONG SNAPPER, Louisville- They did have a legitimate need for long snapper that year. But they spent a draft pick on one. Who didn't even make the team. Doesn't get much more of a wasted pick than that. F

7. Keion Adams, OLB, Western Michigan- Small scrappy dude who was a camp darling that conveniently kept getting hurt right before the season would start and IR'd. Cut now, will never amount to anything. F but it's the 7th round who cares

Overall a tale of two halves. The first half of the draft was incredible and would be a definitive A+ on its own if Conner could stay healthy. The second half of it was a bunch of nothing with a huge whiff and completely wasted pick in Dobbs.

Hard to argue with a multiple pro bowler draft though. B+

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Saints won the 2017 draft hands down. A+++++

Round 1 - Marshon Lattimore, Ryan Ramczyk
Round 2 - Marcus Williams
Round 3 - Alvin Kamara, Alex Anzalone, Trey Hendrickson
Round 6 - Al-Quadin Muhammad

Bolded picks would probably go in the top 15 in a redraft.

Confirmed best 2017 draft by the Athletic - https://theathletic.com/1665529/2020/03/10/best-in-class-how-the-saints-2017-draft-lapped-the-nfl-re-energized-the-team/

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Stolen from Wikipedia

Rnd. 1 14 Traded to the Philadelphia Eagles
Rnd. 2 41 Dalvin Cook RB Florida State (from Bengals)
48 Traded to the Cincinnati Bengals
Round 3
70 Pat Elflein C Ohio State (from Jets)
79 Traded to the New York Jets
86 Traded to the Kansas City Chiefs (from Dolphins)
104 Traded to the San Francisco 49ers(from Chiefs)
Round 4
109 Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa (from 49ers)
120 Ben Gedeon LB Michigan
128 Traded to the Cincinnati Bengals (from Dolphins)
132 Traded to the Philadelphia Eagles (from Chiefs)
139 Traded to the Kansas City Chiefs (from Browns via Eagles)
Round 5
160 Traded to the New York Jets
170 Rodney Adams WR USF (from Chiefs)
180 Danny Isidora G Miami (from Chiefs)
Round 6
199 Traded to the Washington Redskins
201 Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech (from Redskins)
Round 7
219 Stacy Coley WR Miami (from Browns via 49ers)
220 Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern (from 49ers via Redskins)
230 Traded to the Washington Redskins (from Eagles)
232 Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
245 Jack Tocho CB N.C. State (from Chiefs)
232 Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
245 Jack Tocho CB N.C. State (from Chiefs)

I just thought the shear number of trades was amusing. Of these Dalvin Cook is an A+. Pat Elflien, Jaleel Johnson, Ben Gedeon and Ifeadi Odenigbo are still with the team. Elflien started at center and guard and has been the worst player on a bad line. Johnson and Odeneigbo are rotational guys and may be starting a lot more. Gedeon splits time with Eric Wilson, an UFA from the same year as the third LB when the team isn't in nickel. Aviante Collins was also an UFA, he's a tackle and usually a backup.

Aside from Cook this was something of an off year for Rick Spielman. The FO usually finds gems in the late rounds but seems do so every other year.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 15, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

dolphins 2017 draft

round 1- charles harris
round 2 - raekown mcmillan
round 3 - cordrea tankersley
round 5 - isaac asiata, davon godshaux
round 6 - vincent taylor
round 7 - isaiah ford

they basically all suck rear end

McMillan very good
Godchaux system dependent but otherwise very good
Same w Vincent taylor

Harris is so bad lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Amy Pole Her posted:

McMillan very good
Godchaux system dependent but otherwise very good
Same w Vincent taylor

Harris is so bad lol

I think you’re a lot more generous with your very good’s than me.

Raekwon McMillan is a decent run stopper who will never be a good 3 down LB. Even on the lovely 2019 Dolphins he only played like 60% of defensive snaps. Plus, he’s lost an entire season and a handful of other games with injuries. I doubt he gets a second contract in Miami.

If Godchaux and Taylor are “very good” then our staff sucks because both dudes are starting elsewhere in 2020.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
“System dependent” was a key descriptor for Taylor and Godchaux, Ehud. Flores had a different defense scheme than ours in 2017 which was fresh off losing VJ to Denver and gear more towards true 4-3.

As for McMillan... I realize it’s hard not to get too caught up in the overall results. It’s an easy trap. Everyone said same thing to me when I was pro Tannehill too. McMillan is a really good General on defense and sets edge really well. He’s weaker in coverage but in Flores defense he’s pretty well set next to a cover LB named anyone but Baker. It’s why Isiah Simmons is such a popular shock pick for Miami!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Silly Burrito posted:

Saints won the 2017 draft hands down. A+++++

Round 1 - Marshon Lattimore, Ryan Ramczyk
Round 2 - Marcus Williams
Round 3 - Alvin Kamara, Alex Anzalone, Trey Hendrickson
Round 6 - Al-Quadin Muhammad

Bolded picks would probably go in the top 15 in a redraft.

Confirmed best 2017 draft by the Athletic - https://theathletic.com/1665529/2020/03/10/best-in-class-how-the-saints-2017-draft-lapped-the-nfl-re-energized-the-team/

I don't have an Athletic subscription but where do they rank the draft that included Patrick Mahomes

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Roasted Donut posted:

Pittsburgh Steelers

1. TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin- One of the best pass rushers in football and an incredibly all around player. A legit DPOY caliber player. Can't get much better a pick than this. A+

It amazes me how consistent Steelers fans are with loving their bust/over drafted defensive players. I guess getting an above average player is better than crap like Dupree or Shazier, but that doesn't make a player great or mean he wasn't a reach.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Calling him one of THE best pass rushers is a huge leap but dudes really good so

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Packers. Ted Thompson's last draft.

Round 2, pick 1 (#33 overall, from Browns): CB Kevin King, Washington - C, Just A Guy, not what you want from a #33 overall pick.

Round 2, pick 29 (#61): S Josh Jones, NC State - D, Showed flashes in his rookie season, but then was injured a lot and released after just his 2nd year. Signed by Cowboys in 2019, didn't play. He's now signed with the Jaguars for 2020.

Round 3, pick 29 (#93): DT Montravius Adams, Auburn - D, Who is this guy? Still on the team at least, I guess.

Round 4, pick 1 (#108, from Browns): OLB Vince Biegel, Wisconsin - F, Injured before signing his rookie contract. Didn't play his rookie season until November. Waived after rookie season, went to New Orleans where he did nothing, now with Miami, where his first NFL interception was against Eli Manning :cool:

Round 4, pick 27 (#134): RB Jamaal Williams, BYU - B+, would be the starting running back except for this one other guy...

Round 5, pick 31 (#175, from Broncos): WR DeAngelo Yancey, Purdue - F, Put on practice squad during his rookie season, then waived. Picked up by the Jets for their practice squad, then waived after 2018. Signed then waived by the Titans in 2019, now on injured reserve for the XFL New York Guardians.

Round 5, pick 38 (#182, compensatory pick): RB Aaron Jones, UTEP - A+, AARON JOWNS!!!

Round 6, pick 28 (#212): OL Kofi Amichia, USF - F, Practice squad, waived after first year. 2nd year with the Ravens's practice squad, 2019 with the 49ers' practice squad.

Round 7, pick 20 (#238, from Broncos): RB Devante Mays, Utah State - F, who gives a poo poo. Did nothing his rookie year for GB, then went to the Browns' practice squad, and now he's on injured reserve for the Jaguars.

Round 7, pick 29 (#247): WR Malachi Dupre, LSU - F, who gives a poo poo. Waived after the 2017 preseason, has floated around six different NFL teams since then, and is now on the XFL DC Defenders.

Ten picks, four guys still with the team, 1 star player, 1 good player (both at the same position), 1 warm body in the secondary, and 1 I don't even know who that guy is.

It's funny that a lot of the wash-outs either go to the Jaguars or the XFL. :hurr:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Power of Pecota posted:

I don't have an Athletic subscription but where do they rank the draft that included Patrick Mahomes

Eighth.

8. Kansas City
Class AV: 73
First-rounder: Patrick Mahomes (39)
Highest value outside first round: Kareem Hunt (25)

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

MrLogan posted:

It amazes me how consistent Steelers fans are with loving their bust/over drafted defensive players. I guess getting an above average player is better than crap like Dupree or Shazier, but that doesn't make a player great or mean he wasn't a reach.

So did you just miss the last 2 years or what

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh poo poo he had a monster year goddamn i hate you miami way to pass on him dudes a stud

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah what the gently caress, TJ Watt is great :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gently caress the steelers and their players, imo