Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Roasted Donut posted:

So did you just miss the last 2 years or what

Bush is good. So that's hitting one out of how many picks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MrLogan posted:

Bush is good. So that's hitting one out of how many picks?

What does that have to do with Watt

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Panthers

Round 1 Pick 8: RB Christian McCaffrey A transcendent talent and one of the best players at any position. Basically carried our offense when Cam was out. Fiz hated the pick. A+++++++ don't listen to fiz

Round 2 Pick 40: WR Curtis Samuel A burner receiver that has flashed tremendous talent but isn't a consistent threat. That's probably because Cam has been out and Kyle Allen doesn't have a great arm. B+ for Potential, C+ for performance thus far

Round 2 Pick 64: OT Taylor Moton The first starting caliber Offensive Tackle the Panthers have had since Jordan Gross. Great Value at a pick that this franchise would typically waste on nothing. A

Round 3 Pick 77: DE Daeshon Hall Backup that got traded to... the Eagles I think? D

Round 5: Corn Elder I liked this pick. I was wrong. Didn't record a stat in 2019. Was supposed to be a nickel corner but has been supplanted by multiple people. Killer name. F

Round 6: FB Alex Armah Fullback. A+

Round 7: K Harrison Butker The best kicker we've drafted. Of course we instantly traded him and he had incredible success in KC. A+ because he got a ring.

Overall this is probably the best Panthers draft in a long whille. Multiple quality starters and a world-beater. The biggest downside is that we traded away an awesome kicker because we had Graham Gano. Still a great draft.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 16, 2020

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

zimbomonkey posted:

Panthers

Round 1 Pick 8: RB Christian McCaffrey A transcendent talent and one of the best players at any position. Basically carried our offense when Cam was out. Fiz hated the pick. A+++++++ don't listen to fiz

You could have gotten a UDFA to do the same thing.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Chichevache posted:

You could have gotten a UDFA to do the same thing.

I agree, a UDFA probably would have known not to listen to Fiz.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I remember the goon collective meltdown when the Panthers picked CMC, it was good

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
i know fiz deserves to be clowned on for super hating the CMC pick but

FizFashizzle posted:

gently caress the steelers and their players, imo
sometimes the dude's right

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

I remember the goon collective meltdown when the Panthers picked CMC, it was good

I'm not gonna pretend I wasn't against it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

zimbomonkey posted:

I'm not gonna pretend I wasn't against it.

I support first round running backs, but I was against it too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I vaguely remember it being mostly never take a RB that high but there was probably some stuff about him having no upper body strength at all after how he tested at the combine--wasn't he super bad at the bench or something?

I want to say I thought he'd be good but I was against taking him at that point, but I'm too lazy to go look up what I actually said. I do remember the crazy rumors the Broncos were going to trade up into the top 4 or something to take him and I definitely wanted that to happen because I didn't think he'd be as good as he is.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Anyways, Kawalimus' Ravens:

1st Round - Marlon Humphrey - Two years in he was an excellent CB, last year he was a First Team All-Pro and arguably one of the best corners in the NFL. Can be a CB1 type of guy or play the slot with the same efficiency. A+

2nd Round - Tyus Bowser - One of two OLBs drafted to give the team much needed help in the pass rush, but so far has shown little. Top tier name and improved a bit last year, though. D

3rd Round - Chris Wormley - A decent rotational/role player, nothing special. C

3rd Round - Tim Williams - The same as Tyus Bowser, but without the cool name and worse as a player. D

4th Round - Nico Siragusa - Stayed only two years and now is playing in the XFL. F

5th Round - Jermaine Eluemunor - Who? Already traded to the Patriots. Also check out his hairline which rivals Ravens legend Breshad Perriman. F

6th Round - Chuck Clark - In 2019 filled in for an injured Tony Jefferson and not only outplayed him but was pretty drat good. Works hard and is very smart. Along with the signing of Marcus Peters, putting him in and giving him the green dot was responsible for making the secondary last year improve from hot trash to pretty good at times, bad at others. Just signed a 3 year extension. Given he's a sixth rounder, A+

Overall: nailed it with one pick, had another decent one and found a gem in the later rounds, the rest was bad. Let's say... D+/C-?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 16, 2020

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I vaguely remember it being mostly never take a RB that high but there was probably some stuff about him having no upper body strength at all after how he tested at the combine--wasn't he super bad at the bench or something?

I want to say I thought he'd be good but I was against taking him at that point, but I'm too lazy to go look up what I actually said. I do remember the crazy rumors the Broncos were going to trade up into the top 4 or something to take him and I definitely wanted that to happen because I didn't think he'd be as good as he is.
Some of the goon criticism leading up to the draft was Stanford used him up so he'd only have a couple of decent years.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Philadelphia Eagles

1st Round: Derek Barnett, DE: He's been decent? Lost most of his 2018 season but has been a regular part of the rotation. Still not really the production you'd want from a mid-1st. C

2nd Round: Sidney Jones, CB: Occasionally looks good at nickel but the entire Eagles CB corps is awful and he might just look good occasionally compared to the rest. Has hamstrings made of old kite string. D

3rd Round: Rasul Douglas, CB: Bad. Seen starting time but only due to injuries. F

4th Round: Mack Hollins, WR: A special teamer and backup WR who flashed a little bit but never really did much. Got dropped late in the 2019 season and is apparently a Dolphin now. D

4th Round: Donnel Pumphrey, RB: He's small, so he must be just like Darren Sproles, right!? RIGHT!? Couldn't break into the active roster, got practice squadded and was last seen in the XFL F

5th Round: Shelton Gibson, WR: Back-of-the-roster guy who didn't do anything. His Wikipedia page shows him playing baseball. Still on the team but :shrug: F

5th Round: Nathan Gerry, LB: Contributed a bit and sacked Tom Brady once. C

6th Round: Elijah Qualls, DT: Bounced around the league and ended up in the XFL F

UDFAs

Corey Clement, RB: Seen some time and has been serviceable but has ended up on IR the past two years. C

Greg Ward, WR: Former college QB who did a stint in the AAF. At times looked like the best wideout on the Eagles last year. That's more to do with how completely broken the WR corps was last year but he's fine as a depth guy. B

This was not a good draft.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Some of the goon criticism leading up to the draft was Stanford used him up so he'd only have a couple of decent years.

this still is probably not wrong, especially after last season

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

this still is probably not wrong, especially after last season

God, I hope not.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Foreshadowing: This was the last draft of GM Jerry Reese. Also Ben McAdoo. :barf:

New York Giants

1st Round, Pick 23: TE Evan Engram: The Giants had a lot of pressing needs going into 2017, and tight end was not the biggest one (That was offensive line). Engram was discussed alongside guys like O.J. Howard and David Njoku going into the draft, and none of them have been world beaters. Engram has played okay, but hardly worth a high pick. He became the defacto leading target for the Giants as a rookie because Odell got hurt, the offensive line couldn't block poo poo, so Eli took every checkdown possible as his arm strength started to go. It was clearly a move of a team that thought they were just away from another Super Bowl run, when reality was quite different. He's been nothing special, not the most consistent guy, and has had injuries. Wrong guy, and over-drafted. Grade: D+ Player drafted shortly after at a position they really needed: Ryan Ramczyk.

2nd Round, Pick 55: DT Dalvin Tomlinson: The Giants thought he'd be an extra piece on a defense that had been very solid the year before. He's been forgettable at best, recording 4.5 sacks in 3 seasons, not that sacks are the best measure for a defensive tackle. He's started every game, which is something, but hasn't exactly been a dominant force or hugely noticeable. Probably not helped by the Giants going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 after 2017. The rest of the defense turned into poop around him, which isn't great. Hardly to blame, but in the end, forgettable so far. Grade: C- Guys taken shortly after at spots that were also at positions of bigger need: JuJu Smith-Schuster, Alvin Kamara, Cooper Kupp, and Pat Elflein.

3rd Round, Pick 87: QB Davis Webb: Hoo-boy... Okay, so the Giants spent a 3rd on a back up QB, who maybe coulda possible have been the developmental prospect/replacement for Eli Manning? Their backup the previous season had been Josh Johnson, for reference, and they had already signed Geno Smith for that spot for 2017. I can't recall a single thing he did in the preseason. Most of you are familiar with the story, but when McAdoo decided to bench Eli, he named Smith the starter. Everyone knew what Geno Smith had to offer, and the idea was lets just throw Webb out and see if he has anything. Well, that didn't happen. He was active for... one? Two games? He's since bounced around practice squads and has never taken a regular season snap for any team. For a 3rd rounder, even a developmental-type QB, that's poo poo. Grade: F Decent players taken shortly after: Shaquill Griffin & Kenny Golladay.

4th Round, Pick 140: RB Wayne Gallman: Quick story time. Remember that one game where Ben McAdoo used a walkie-talkie to call plays for... some reason? Well, that got this pick moved from 128 down to 140. Anyway, for a team with one of the worst offensive lines in football, Gallman wasn't terrible! He looked okay, nothing special, as a rookie splitting snaps with Orleans Darkwa. He finished the season with 476 rushing yards and 193 receiving yards, and showed some promise as a part of the backfield. However, his last two seasons combined have less yards in both categories. In 2018, the Giants took Saquon Barkley, so Gallman's role was greatly reduced to just spelling Barkley from time to time. Last season, Gallman got hurt shortly after Barkley, limiting him to only 6 games on the season. For a 4th round pick, a contributor and part of a backfield by committee wouldn't be awful. I'm probably being generous with this one. Grade: C Taken within the next 6 picks: Marlon Mack & George Kittle

5th Round, Pick 167: DE Avery Moss: Who? Wasn't viewed as a position of need for the team at that time. He apparently was on the practice squad for most of the season, getting 15 total tackles in 2 games. Spent last season with Miami. It's a mid-5th rounder, not a huge loss, but you'd hope for maybe some depth or special teams play. Grade: D- Other dudes taken later in the 5th that I at least recognize: Aaron Jones and Nathan Peterman :laugh:

6th Round, Pick 200: OT Adam Bisnowaty: I read his name as "Biz Nasty." This was Jerry Reese addressing the lovely offensive line... it didn't work. He appeared in one game, the last of the season, got waived, then spent time usually measured in days on 5 other teams preseason and practice squad rosters over the last few years. Was 7th round pick of the XFL. :ughh: This was mid-late 6th round, so again, nothing major, but you'd still hope for something better out of it. Grade: D- It's the 6th, everyone is taking shots in the dark at this point, so who cares who came after?

The Giants went 3-13, the most losses in a season in franchise history. McAdoo and Reese were fired mid-season after the debacle benching Eli for Geno, and they responded... by hiring Gettleman and Shurmur.

gently caress.

I'll always have the tears of Patriots fans from 2007 and 2011. Long live Eli.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
1 Corey Davis - dude was way overdrafted and is for sure not getting a fifth year option pickup. I expect we will let him go and sign somebody in free agency next year. He is average to good at everything but “decent receiver and A+ Blocker for our number one guy” is not what you want from the fifth overall pick. C-
1 Adoree' Jackson - adoree’ rules and has gotten better every season. Lock this dude up. He tends to give up one stupid play a game and can run with anybody the rest of the way. Break the bank for adoree please. A-
3 Taywan Taylor - barely played in his rookie year, looked decent in his second season and then got traded to the browns in the preseason after we brought in Adam humphries. I liked taywan but he didn’t play much at all for a browns team that didn’t have any targets for him. Hope he catches on somewhere else. C
3 Jonnu Smith - great pick that only really planned out this last season. Jonnu is very athletic and has great hands. I’m sad to see delanie walker go but between Jonnu and Anthony Firkser I feel good about the future at the position. B- on potential so far and his resume from last year.
5 Jayon Brown - This dude was an insane steal in round 5 and would definitely go first round or early second if redrafted. Huge steal. A

The other dudes are not on the team any more or irrelevant in general. Khal Muhammad could be a nice change of pace back if he could stay healthy.

Overall this is a good draft haul that looks worse because of how little statistical production we got out of Corey Davis. If he was a second or third round pick he’d be a steal but we could have had other guys there. I will say he fits what we are trying to do with AJ Brown and Jonnu extremely well.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Corey is really good

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
He hasn’t produced at all though. Granted you can take that with a grain of salt since until AJ brown we hadn’t had a thousand yard receiver in uhhhhhhh thirty seasons or whatever, it’s not a pass first team. But he’s been supplanted by a rookie. What do you thinks he does well enough to invest in at this point

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The bears got a pair of all pros in the 4th round and managed to have one of the worst drafts in their history

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He runs routes very well, he catches the ball well, and he blocks well. He doesn't get a lot of production because he's more of an intermediate guy while the offense leans more towards deep or short

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Metapod posted:

He runs routes very well, he catches the ball well, and he blocks well. He doesn't get a lot of production because he's more of an intermediate guy while the offense leans more towards deep or short

An "intermediate guy" is a horrific return on investment for the fifth overall pick

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Agreed. I think he offers good things but dude was the first wr off the board right? You absolutely have to get more in that spot. Adoree developing as well as he has softens it but huge whiff either way

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Benne posted:

An "intermediate guy" is a horrific return on investment for the fifth overall pick

I very much disagree because someone who is good at crossing routes is very valuable

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Guy who has been thrown to by Marcus Mariota and Ryan Tannehill in his career hasn’t produced much. Hard to believe.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Guy who has been thrown to by Marcus Mariota and Ryan Tannehill in his career hasn’t produced much. Hard to believe.

#1 top rated QB ryan tannehill

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Mariota was really good before he couldn't feel his hand stop rewriting history

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
:looks back at the 2017 NFL draft: I am a big fan, this draft really rules, can’t imagine it being better

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Metapod posted:

Mariota was really good before he couldn't feel his hand stop rewriting history

Oh no he actually believes it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Aw man I completely missed this thread, let's see how the Detroit Lions shape up:

2017 was a year of high expectations for the Lions. After going 9-7 and making the playoffs the previous year on a truly ludicrous number of 4th quarter comeback wins, from the outside the Lions appeared poised to take the next step in becoming a perennial playoff contender—and it was on 2nd year GM and former Patriot scout Bob Quinn to deliver them the players to do so.

1/21: LB Jarrad Davis, Florida

Current status: Starter

At the time Davis looked like a strong and safe pick, filling a need at linebacker for the Lions created by the mishandled injury and subsequent release of standout DeAndre Levy (god I miss him). Unfortunately, he hasn't really panned out—though a hard worker and team player, Davis has routinely missed tackles and is utterly abysmal in coverage, often making him a liability on the field. Though a starter the past several years with flashes of solid play, Davis has ultimately disappointed and it's unclear how much longer he'll be with the team. Grade: C-

2/53: CB Teez Tabor, Florida

Current status: Signed to 49ers practice squad.

This was a highly controversial pick when it was made. Though Tabor was a fantastic player at Florida with tremendous ball hawking instincts, his bad 40 time and otherwise mediocre Combine made many question whether he was fast and agile enough to be a successful NFL cornerback. Supporters of Teez frequently urged doubters to "Watch the tape," and that's what Bob Quinn did—supposedly watching more tape of Tabor than he had of any other player. In the end, the Lions made the pick, and boy howdy was it a mistake! Tabor struggled mightily in practice, and when injuries forced him onto the field he was downright awful. Though many held out hope Tabor would get it together, pointing towards the struggles Darius Slay had his first year god I already miss him, his second year was even worse—in 12 games and 4 starts, Tabor allowed a whopping 143.3 passer rating.

As 2019 came around, Tabor was a changed man. He was better and more serious in practice, and claimed that his earlier struggles were due in part towards not taking the game seriously, relying on the instincts that had led him to success in college rather than taking the next step to compete with the pros. But while he was better in practice, he still wasn't great, and time had run out for the young cornerback: Though he made it to the final set of roster cuts, he was released from the team after the 4th preseason game. He subsequently signed to the 49ers practice squad, where hopefully he can continue focusing on improving his game and becoming the player he truly wants to be. Grade: F

3/96: WR Kenny Golladay, Northern Illinois

Current status: Starting receiver... of my heart

After trading down with New England in exchange for their 3rd and 4th round picks, Detroit decided to leave the SEC behind and get in on some MACtion. Impressing many early in trading camp, Golladay proved to be a breakout star in 2017, providing a tall, reliable receiver for Stafford and creating a truly receiving devastating trio between himself, Marvin Jones, and Golden Tate God I miss him. While he's no Megatron, he managed to (Somewhat) fill the hole the all-time great left behind do I really have to say it, and in 2019 he lead the league in receiving TDs. Arguably the single best pick of the Quinn era. Grade: A+

4/124: LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Tennessee

Current status: Rotational player and backup

He's fine. Not great, or really good, but fine for what he currently is, which is cheap depth. Less value than we might have hoped for at the pick though, and together the Davis pick utterly failed to truly address the team's needs at linebacker. Grade: C

4/127: TE Michael Roberts, Toledo

Current status: Signed with Dolphins

The second of the Lions' 4th round picks this year (The previous pick being the one they got from trading down with New England), Detroit had high hopes for Roberts. Having decided not to re-sign skilled veteran Anquan Boldin (Who would later go on to get signed by the Buffalo Bills, and then promptly retire two weeks later), the team hoped that Roberts could suitability replace Boldin as a red zone threat, and provide additional depth to the tight end position behind Eric Ebron. However, Roberts struggled, failing to haul in many passes or to perform well as a blocker. When 2018 came around, Ebron was gone, and the TE1 position was there for the taking—but Roberts continued to struggle, and was overshadowed by FA signings Luke Willson and Levine Toilolo. With Hockenson drafted at 8 overall in 2019 (A pick I still hate), there was nowhere for Roberts to go. The Lions tried to trade him to the Patriots for a conditional 7th round pick (Talk about low value), but the deal fell through, and Roberts was simply waived. The Packers then tried to pick him up, but he failed his physical, and he ultimately would not play in the 2019 season. Wish him luck on the Dolphins, though! Grade: D-

(I noticed while looking up the next pick that George Kittle was still on the board, which wow makes this pick especially bad)

5/165: CB Jamal Agnew, San Diego

Current status: Starting punt and kick returner

Q: What happens when you draft a speedy dude from San Diego?

A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRS2tGR73S4&t=513s

(I was at that game, it ruled, even when we lost)

Jamal Agnew's rookie season ruled. Two punt returns for TDs and a punt return average that was something nuts like ten yards per punt higher than the next dude made him a first-team all pro in his first year, and his speed even gave him a place on the offense as a gadget player. Unfortunately his second year was shortened by injuries, and in the 2019 offseason there were real concerns he might not make the roster. He worked his way back up, however, and in the 2019 season scored yet another punt return TD, and added a kickoff return TD for good measure. Dude's just fantastic on special teams—though unfortunately he's only okay as an actual cornerback. Still, Grade: A

6/205: DT Jeremiah Ledbetter, Arkansas

Current status: Signed to Bucs practice squad

Had an okay first year as a rotational player, cut at the beginning of the 2018 season. Not really much to say here. Grade: D

6/215: QB Brad Kaaya, Miami

Current status: Out of the league

I forgot we drafted this guy! Unfortunately he couldn't even make the team, getting cut before the start of the season in favor of existing backup Jake Rudock. Grade: F

7/250: Pat O’Connor, Eastern Michigan

Current status: Signed with Buccaneers

Aw man, I was rooting for him. EMU is typically a notoriously awful football school, and in spite of my hatred for how my alma mater manages the football program to the detriment of... everything else, I did want O'Conner to succeed (Especially because he was the first DE Quinn had actually bothered to draft in his first two years, which was a position I desperately wanted filled and still want, god dammit bob. Unfortunately he couldn't make it onto the roster, was cut, signed to the practice squad, and later released. Grade: D

OVERALL THOUGHTS:

God I can't believe I ever liked Bob Quinn. While a lot of these picks were defensible at the time, Quinn took a huge swing and a miss on Tabor when players like JuJu Smith-Schuster, Alvin Kamara, and Shaquill Griffin were still on the board. On the whole this draft netted two really good players, an average/below average starter, and a rotational dude out of nine picks, which is... not ideal, especially when the team had so many holes going into the draft (Especially on defense) that this class did very little to fill. As it happened, the Lions would end up going 9-7 for their first set of consecutive winning seasons since 1994-1995, barely getting squeezed out of the playoffs thanks in part to the infamous 10 second runoff against the Falcons in Week 3. As a result, coach Jim Caldwell would be fired, Matt Patricia would be brought on, and the Lions would happily leave any thoughts of playoff contention or relevance behind.

DRAFT GRADE: C-/KILL ME

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

thrilla in vanilla posted:

1 Corey Davis - dude was way overdrafted and is for sure not getting a fifth year option pickup. I expect we will let him go and sign somebody in free agency next year. He is average to good at everything but “decent receiver and A+ Blocker for our number one guy” is not what you want from the fifth overall pick. C-
1 Adoree' Jackson - adoree’ rules and has gotten better every season. Lock this dude up. He tends to give up one stupid play a game and can run with anybody the rest of the way. Break the bank for adoree please. A-
3 Taywan Taylor - barely played in his rookie year, looked decent in his second season and then got traded to the browns in the preseason after we brought in Adam humphries. I liked taywan but he didn’t play much at all for a browns team that didn’t have any targets for him. Hope he catches on somewhere else. C
3 Jonnu Smith - great pick that only really planned out this last season. Jonnu is very athletic and has great hands. I’m sad to see delanie walker go but between Jonnu and Anthony Firkser I feel good about the future at the position. B- on potential so far and his resume from last year.
5 Jayon Brown - This dude was an insane steal in round 5 and would definitely go first round or early second if redrafted. Huge steal. A

The other dudes are not on the team any more or irrelevant in general. Khal Muhammad could be a nice change of pace back if he could stay healthy.

Overall this is a good draft haul that looks worse because of how little statistical production we got out of Corey Davis. If he was a second or third round pick he’d be a steal but we could have had other guys there. I will say he fits what we are trying to do with AJ Brown and Jonnu extremely well.

I was watching a game the other day, the opponent was at the goal line and Jayon Brown literally comes flying over the entire defensive and offensive lines, plants his face right on the running back and drops him right there. That play was uncanny as all hell and sooooo dope.

Then you got Rashaan Evans who had a series of incredible plays, I think it was in the playoffs against the Patriots and he stopped runs to the left like three times in a row by absolutely bursting through the line of scrimmage and chasing the ball carrier down.
I mean, how cool is that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVNr8DKRkI

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPanpJy14pg

They got some gooooooood ILBs down there in TN

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

zimbomonkey posted:

Panthers

Round 2 Pick 40: WR Curtis Samuel A burner receiver that has flashed tremendous talent but isn't a consistent threat. That's probably because Cam has been out and Kyle Allen doesn't have a great arm. B+ for Potential, C+ for performance thus far

Round 2 Pick 64: OT Taylor Moton The first starting caliber Offensive Tackle the Panthers have had since Jordan Gross. Great Value at a pick that this franchise would typically waste on nothing. A

Round 3 Pick 77: DE Daeshon Hall Backup that got traded to... the Eagles I think? D

Round 5: Corn Elder I liked this pick. I was wrong. Didn't record a stat in 2019. Was supposed to be a nickel corner but has been supplanted by multiple people. Killer name. F

Round 6: FB Alex Armah Fullback. A+

Round 7: K Harrison Butker The best kicker we've drafted. Of course we instantly traded him and he had incredible success in KC. A+ because he got a ring.

Overall this is probably the best Panthers draft in a long whille. Multiple quality starters and a world-beater. The biggest downside is that we traded away an awesome kicker because we had Graham Gano. Still a great draft.

This was a legit great draft, but obviously the jury is still out on Samuel. He consistently gets open and beats his man, but his skill set has been unusable with our QB play.

Hall probably gets an F though. We put him on IR but it was more like a redshirt season for him since he needed to bulk up. He would have been cut otherwise. Ended up releasing him before he ever played a game. If that's not an F, I don't know what is. At least Corn Elder has an all-time great name.

Also like 95% of us either wanted Fournette or didn't want a first-round RB. It wasn't just Fiz!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

This is a hell of a write up man very nice

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

This is a hell of a write up man very nice

Yeah I generally never have anything to add so I don't say anything, but Ace your effort posts are always appreciated.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Broncos

Let's see, the Broncos have a new head coach, Vance Joseph, after Kubiak retired, and expectations are high coming off of a winning season and only a couple years removed from winning the super bowl. We have this new Paxton Lynch at QB that hopefully with the right coaching a few new pieces in the draft, maybe he can take the next step.

Round 1 Pick 20 OT Garet Bolles. Loved the pick at the time. He keeps showing flashes of good play, but has had way too many costly holding penalties that have killed countless drives. C- because at least he's held down the starting spot since he got drafted. And he's been pretty healthy. Shame he's not very good.

Round 2 Pick 51 DE DeMarcus Walker. An inconsistent developmental prospect. He developed into a solid rotational player, and he's still on the team. B

Round 3 Pick 82 WR Carlos Henderson. Never did anything for the Broncos. Immediately went on IR, then next season failed to report for training camp due to a "personal matter", then got suspended for a substance abuse violation, then got cut. Currently playing football for the Saskatchewan Roughriders F

Round 3 Pick 101 CB Brendan Langley. Barely played at all, and was bad. Tried to convert to WR. Not currently on a team. F

Round 5 Pick 145 TE Jake Butt. Was hurt before the draft, and has barely played at all due to repeatedly re-injuring his ACL. Technically still on the roster. D

Round 5 Pick 172 WR Isaiah McKenzie. Drafted to be a punt returner, but had a lot of trouble holding onto the ball. Cut after fumbling a lot, then spent the last couple season on the Bills. D

Round 6 Pick 203 RB De'Angelo Henderson. Barely played, didn't impress, and got cut after 1 season. Last seen playing for the Houston Roughnecks in the XFL. D

Round 7 Pick 253 QB Chad Kelly. Complete head case, cut following his arrest after a bazaar incident that took place after a Halloween party. Currently signed to the Colts. F

Overall draft grade: D. One bad lineman, a rotational DE, and a bunch of prospects that didn't work out just isn't good enough for a draft class.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Whew, reading back on some things leading up to this draft and I'd forgotten exactly how bad DeShone Kizer was. I knew he was bad obviously because he's already out of the league, but had forgotten exactly how bad after getting a decent amount of hype for a while there before the draft.

Fairly confident without looking I can say I never even partially bought into Kizer at the time. But I don't think any of us really did.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

I'd forgotten exactly how bad DeShone Kizer was. I knew he was bad obviously because he's already out of the league

Lmao, let me tell you about this trash rear end organization in Las Vegas...

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Don't forget that after the Bears 1st round, Pace was desperate for a playmaker so he drafts Adam Shaheen in the 2nd.

The next four skill position players taken were Joe Mixon, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Alvin Kamara, and Cooper Kupp

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm old enough to remember when DeShone Kizer was getting Top-10 hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Benne posted:

I'm old enough to remember when DeShone Kizer was getting Top-10 hype

well yeah he went to Notre Dame that just happens regardless