Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
It's very 90s YA to have the assistant principal be a controller, but it gets ridiculous later on when Chapman is doing EVERYTHING...he's running over people with his car! He's trying to take over an aircraft carrier! You end up with the impression that there aren't really that many Yeerks after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I actually think the zoo scene was really clever. Obviously as an author you want them to have different battle morphs, to help give each character a unique role and identity. (As well as for book covers and other art, and toy merch and stuff, although idk if they were thinking that far ahead.) But it makes no logical sense for everyone not to get every animal. So you have to contrive-only Marco gets to touch the gorilla, then they’re interrupted, then they split up, then only jake gets close enough to touch the tiger, and so on.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Soup du Jour posted:

the thing I forget most about these early books is how uninterested Marco is in actually doing anything. It makes sense with his background but good lord what a wet blanket in a YA adventure series

I always think about this when I read early-book Marco

https://www.newsfromme.com/?s=the+complainer+is+always+wrong

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Also brutally murdering humans is fine as long as the actual death happens off "screen".

There’s some conversations later on about how weighted the casualties are towards Hork-Bajir and Taxxons, actually, that’s why some Yeerks start suspecting they’re human.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Food for thought:

Shouldn’t the Yeerks feed more often? It seems like they die after almost exactly three days. Like, if your host is stuck in traffic and you’re an hour late to feed, you die. Also the last six hours or so seems extremely painful...I’d suggest they probably go every other day.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Rochallor posted:

The only governmental system we get is the Vissers with the Council of Thirteen above them and that's all military, no civilian government. It's possible that the whole Yeerk presence in space is a military junta, since the Andalites blockade the planet presumably right after this. There could be a whole civilian government on the Yeerk homeworld wondering what the gently caress is going on, since no Andalite is going to risk going down to the surface after Seerowgate.

This theory doesn't line up, since the Yeerks broke the Andalite blockade sometime between the sixties and the nineties. In book five, last page of chapter 20,

Visser 3 posted:

<You see, Visser One, I have taken the Andalite bandits. The crisis is over. Your trip here is wasted, and you can return to the home world>

Which I suppose explains how Visser 3 knows what the Yeerk world looks like in the Andalite Chronicles.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Epicurius posted:

The Hork-Bajir Chronicles-Chapter 12
So Dak has now learned what murder and intentional killing is. There was an earlier book that said that the Hork-Bajir would have regular wars every 65 years or something like that, but this book retcons this, making the Hork-Bajir peaceful. Dak Hamee now becomes the first Hork-Bajir to purposefully use violence against another.

This isn't necessarily true, the Arn could have set a biological clock for war every 57 years or whatever as a means of population control and preventing the Hork-Bajir from developing any kind of civilization. Hork-Bajir don't seem to live very long, so it's possible Dak has never met someone who remembers it, if it's towards the end of the cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
"Ax explained to us once that this was a unique Yeerk technology. The Andalite shredder whose technology the Yeerks used in developing the Dracon beam kills instantly, painlessly.

The Dracon beam is specifically modified to destroy more slowly. The Yeerks want their enemies to feel the agony of cells exploding."

True? Or Andalite propaganda? The Yeerks have cruel tendencies sometimes, but deliberately causing pain, to the point of making their weapons less effective, sounds a little extreme even for them.