Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I was reading the description of the clinic and started thinking, wait, how does her dad get funding? I guess the answer is: he doesn't!

Thanks for setting up this thread. I've been binging it for the past couple of weeks and loving it! I never cracked one of these open because all I knew about them was the goofy covers. I read a bunch of other sci-fi as a kid. It's ironic because I thought this series would be dumb power rangers style junk and it turns out it's way better than a lot of the stuff I was reading at the time. I don't know if I would've appreciated it back then though. They don't even get to keep the dinosaur morph?! I would not have been ok with that at 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

It's really easy to make alternate-reality stories like this really dull when you know a reset button is going to be hit before the end, but I'm enjoying hope so far this acts as kind of a character study-who are these kids without the baggage of becoming the animorphs? It gels nicely with the overall series theme of how the war changes them, and as a refresher on where they each came from.

Aximili being all alone and friendless on Earth while the yeerk invasion goes unopposed is really bleak.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Is there any explanation for what supernatural alien douchebag is responsible for his experience?
Apparently not. Lame.
I enjoyed how gonzo this book went with the alternate future, but the framing devices/reason for the alternate reality being so underbaked really kills the tension.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

These cursed Andalite bandits keep drawing human genitalia in the host waste deposit center!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah the giant bowl of grubs for breakfast feels very cliche. Next up, Yami plays the didgeridoo while his aunt talks about how a dingo ate her baby.
Kid me, growing up with movies like The Rescuers Down Under or Quigley... Down Under.... would've been really into the change of scenery. As an adult I'm cringing.
That said I'd love to see the Yeerk/Andalite response to a continent with the most venomous animals on earth. Or the Great Yeerk/Emu War.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I got a vasectomy and was told while high on nitrous that I couldn't swim or take a bath for a week and I started rambling about how I'd be in trouble if I were a Yeerk because I'd need to submerge for the kandrona rays every three days. I don't think anyone at the doctor's office got it. (Also the Yeerk leaves the host, gimme a break, I was high)

So thanks for this thread, I'm loving it. I never read Animorphs as a kid because there were too many and the covers looked goofy, but they've got some good stuff. An animated series could be great (and leave out some of the stuff like the Helmacrons or boomerangs in Australia).

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I've read stories where people get absorbed into a hive mind but I don't think I've ever read one where they escape by hostile takeover.

That's just the power of the arts!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Being of immense god-like power: I, TOO, AM A GAMER

I'm a little surprised, I figured Crayak wouldn't appear until Ellimist had started transcending the limits of the physical plane, but this seems to imply they're both (at least at this point) very powerful but still limited to existing in 4 dimensions just like regular beings, whereas their interference in the books implies they exist somehow outside of spacetime as we understand it.

Also good to know Crayak isn't just a big eye, he's also swole as hell.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

introducing kids to gamer culture
Ellimist cracks open a can of mountain dew and lazily licks Cheeto dust from his fingers. "Looks like it's just the two of us, Crayak."
Crayak cranks his microphone to full blast and shouts a bunch of racial slurs as loud as possible, followed by, "Git gud, noob!"

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm a fan of the idea of Crayak trying to seduce Rachel to his side, but I think something a little more plausible or... thematically consistent? Would be better. Like maybe Crayak creates a dream scenario where David is restored his morphing power, mirroring Tobias, and has formed a not-rat-based organization, and Rachel figures it out because of less glaring holes in the story than "I can control rats".

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

A bobcat makes sense for tight urban spaces. You trade the sheer brute strength of a larger cat like a lion or tiger for being more maneuverable.
Kind of disappointed nobody picked a hippo as a battle morph.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

As a yeerk you can just rip the information out of their head, but you'd need to make sure you get out of the host and demorph, so I think you'd need at least one other person making sure the host doesn't just squish you midway.
Plus I imagine the experience would be pretty traumatic for most humans-morphed-as-yeerks, violating someone's self like that isn't going to leave you feeling good about yourself.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

The only other options Taxxons have is finding someone who is able and willing to genetically modify them- which raises a Ship of Theseus style question about 'are these really still Taxxons?', if it's even possible for them- or to just keep going as is, which they hate SO MUCH they willingly let parasites mind-control them. Maybe they could develop some kind of medicine instead of straight up genetic modification, but the Taxxon idea of medical science is a buffet, so.
Maybe the guy who explained what was up with the Hork-bajir could help them out, but he was a dick so I doubt it.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

It had to be me. I knew the others didn't have what it takes- the killer instinct, the ferocity- to see it through. That's why they asked me to do it. Because they know I'm the only one who will go all the way. Rachel the Amazon. Rachel the killer.

I turned on the TV and started watching the first episode of the animorphs tv show.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah, kind of weird to give a choice with zero context. Not a fan of shouty Ellimist. Let's press B!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

This reminds me of the shittier Kingdom Hearts 3 levels, where you show up, watch the Disney plot happen to the Disney characters, and then get immediately sidelined into running around doing unrelated stuff until the end when you get to watch the end of the Disney movie and have a vaguely related boss fight. At no point do you contribute anything to the actual story beyond yelling.

Anyway I vote Cockroach again since it went so well last time!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Surely ignoring it will move the action along!

Why didn't they just have You Two acquire the t-rex and morph it? Why have both characters swallowed and then have the NPC solve the problem? I didn't expect much from a CYOA book but this is pretty loving dire.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

This book feels weirdly mean spirited, like the ghost writer is Lucy holding a football and the reader is Charlie Brown.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm gonna vote fly, hawk and horkbork. Surely the logical choice of three creatures good at navigating perilous heights will pay off!

Next chapter, the Howlers force us into a swimming pool and we drown because we didn't choose shark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

HAWK
Thank you for guiding us through this very dumb book. We honor your sacrifice.