Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hahaha man they were just drunk as poo poo on their enormous royalties by then weren't they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Honestly Rachel got poo poo on pretty hard by the series.

At least Cassie is the only one that survives after Jake and the rest of the surviving OG Animorphs decide to ram their space ship into the Yeerk ship that is taken over by whatever the Evil multidimensional entity is.

Mmmmm, their ends all make sense though. Rachel is pretty much a pure warrior by the end of the series and wouldn't have survived peace. Cassie tried to get out several times and finally succeeded. It felt earnt.

Honestly having done a whole series read through a couple years back you could probably skip about 20 books and not really miss anything of note.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It adds a nice touch to the story that they even stop to think about it though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

They're teenagers.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I could have worded that a bit better. I meant 'I'll give them a little leeway in not really getting the nuances of what they're doing right, because teenagers are dumb as poo poo.' Not 'don't think about it'. You're pretty much on the money with your analysis, and again, it's nice to see that even books like this take the time to consider such questions.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The best part of THAT is that the characters are well written enough that it carries some emotional weight

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

Visser Three is great because it's pretty easy to see that all the times he conveniently appears and spots the Animorphs is because he's insanely paranoid and flips out over random animals all the time.

There's something definitely off about him. No other Yeerk comes off as that crazy.

He's not wrong though. Hell for all his obvious prowess in combat, he's now been hit in his Yeerk pool, his Blade ship during what should have been an easy prisoner handoff, and now a ship got blowed up good. And he still has no idea of what he is up against or how many there are. If word of this gets back to head office, at best he loses command, I'd be starting to flip out too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Well it was pretty clear they only gave a poo poo about having fun, so, yes?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I certainly remember whales being very, very mysterious in the 90s when I grew up. I vaguely recall a lot of research being done into how they communicated and what they communicated and gently caress it y'all I'm all on board with whale buddy.
Save some human dolphins, save it up as a story to get laid. Why the hell not.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

People used to be really into whales and dolphins. This would have been a few years after Free Willy came out and kids were all about that. This isn't even close to the dumbest thing they find in the ocean though.

That book is like the Rachel starfish one. It doesn't exist.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Couldn't they also swim out there as dolphins, morph back to human (one by one, supported by the others as dolphins), then re-morph? Ah well, same thing either way really.

e: Come to think of it, how are they going to get back?

This guy has put more thought into their plan than any of them have

It's pretty much a recurring theme isn't it? Flying by the seat of their pants and half-assing everything?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

Liberia is also a common port of call for ships to avoid taxes. A lot of cruise liners are based there.

Ships in general, not just cruise

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking as a nautical type guy, they have no idea just how loving dangerous this was. I'd expect a drop of somewhere between 10-15m from the freeboard deck of a container vessel to the water, which is enough to cause serious injury if you land wrong, or unconsciousness if you're really unlucky. Plus, as Cassie mentions, the ship is in motion. Water does all kinds of crazy poo poo with large bodies moving, so one direct result would be that as the ship pushes forward they would be dragged against the hull. Probably not enough to do any damage in and of itself, but if they aren't morphed and swimming away by the time they get to the stern, there is a very real chance of being mulched by the prop.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Well your avatar checks out

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Ha. I was spoiled on Ax but not the details. The "non human" in a party like this is usually an older and experienced mentor figure who can teach and guide the heroes, here he's being painted as a clueless kid just as out of their depth as the others. That's... not at all what I expected, interesting twist on that trope. :allears:

How I envy you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't see how you could make a good film of it, but hey, give it a go!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The first Megamorphs would probably do alright as a film. Especially if told from the viewpoint of Rachel starting from when she wakes up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Actually, that kind of is a point. Why'd they put the band back together before they'd first written one POV book for every character? That makes Marco the odd one out.

Because now you think hell yeah they can win, leading into the utterly crushing defeat they suffer next book. The only reason they even survive is because Visser One hates Visser Three more than them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Don't forget the whole part about the Andalites being ready to blast their world into slag at a moment's notice. The Yeerks are better villains than a lot I could think of.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

PetraCore posted:

I just wonder how much the infestation process changes yeerks themselves, since we know they basically form a thin cellular layer over the brain folds and presumably send in specialized organs to link up with the neuron network. It makes sense to me that they're so vulnerable, because that method of infestation probably means a lot of their own tissues are neuron-dense and extremely sensitive as a result. But by hijacking another person's brain, they're not just stealing access to the neurons that control their bodily functions. I don't think we ever see them being able to forcibly change someone's internal thought processes, but it's not exactly for lack of trying in some cases, so I wonder if there's any subconscious backwash or if they're too focused on fine bodily control. Again, I'm getting ahead of myself, but this is the stuff I'm gonna be thinking about as we advance.

It's discussed in Visser. Visser One talks about the first human infestation and going 'holy gently caress, their brains can come to way better decisions than ours because they can second-guess themselves.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The ongoing Prince Jake joke kills me

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You could reasonably assume Tom found out something he shouldn't have and was taken kicking and screaming, since he tried to fistfight Visser Three.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

From memory that whole saga happens after Jake gives the speech of "we need to be asking ourselves if something is expedient, not if it's right" and they go full terrorist. it's interesting to me that a lot of people jump on that event in particular and not them bombing the Yeerk pool with however much collateral damage that inflicts.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If you don't like whales kicking the crap out of Visser Three why are you even here

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, he's wearing the mask to everyone else, but he is really honest with himself.

And he would be absolutely in love with Rachel completely, if he wasn't so obviously terrified of her.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I honestly never picked up on Marco having a crush on Jake, it just seemed like a deep friendship to me. But, I'll be the first to admit I can miss cues

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Chekhov's Gun's, this seems very blatant about something being of, so she's most definitely still alive.

Given with how the series seems to be going for sadfeels I guess she faked her death and ran off because she got tired of her family or something. :(

Tobias is Marco's mom

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

She does a great job selling just how loving brutal the animal kingdom really is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

our galactic saviors, almost defeated by ants

also it’s funny that ants nearly kill them when they help cause the destruction of the original ant species in the stupidest megamorphs book

MODS?!!!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Just gonna point out that Ax says he's never fought a battle before, and that they've used this frequency before. His lack of experience is showing. Imagine being the Taxxon who picked up that signal. I bet 50:1 Visser Three killed him for incompetence before seeing actually yes, it was a distress call on that same frequency that had been a trap in the past.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd be interested to see who says this was an out and out surprise to, give the almost assembly line pattern of "Dead Mom... Visser One.. Dead Mom... Visser One..." foreshadowing throughout the book leading up to this point.

It was when I first read it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

She really, really is, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i always thought it worked on klingon rules; you kill the guy and take his visser number

Its partly competence, and partly this, I think

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It also makes sense tactically to have the youngest and weakest expose themselves as the spokesperson. If the others are only seen in morph, he can't be certain he has them all.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I guess she isn't Tobias then

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As we find out, if Visser One was in charge it would have been over before it began. She is ferociously competent and cold-blooded in the extreme.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Khizan posted:

I’d have to agree that Marco is the best narrator, so far.

I will say that having so much of this stuff focused around these random teenagers bothers me, though. Tom is one! Then the vice-principal! Then the Kandrona is located underneath their school. Then Marco’s mother is the host for Visser One! Just seems off, to me.

That aside, I also think Marco’s plan to keep his mom a secret is sort of doomed to fail, unless he’s never gonna let any of them(aside from Jake) into his house.

Just wait until he finally talks Rachel into his bed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I think I like Marco best, and Rachel gets a lot of depth to her too.

They're all honestly really good characters.

The tobias-Ax bromance is excellent too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Avalerion posted:

We don’t really have a clear picture of how far reaching the infiltration is, if half the towns population has been yeerked then it wouldn’t be that weird.

I don't think we ever really do. They're very clearly limited in terms of manpower, but they seem to have a lot of very well placed hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Which is again, some serious stuff for children's books.