Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
That sequence where Galuit goes to explain to Jake what the mission is and Jake just says he'll do it, and Galuit admits he's known worse Princes is the part of this book that I remembered clearly to this day despite not having read the book in well over a decade. It's such a good moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Animorphs: a kid's book series, y'know, for kids!

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I like the “closest” line, actually - it provides a little bit of ambiguity to the situation, so it’s not just 100% ‘oh Jake entirely wanted a murder so he called for me’ and adds a little ‘well, was it because I was close? Did he think I was closest? Or did he think he wanted a murder? Or did he think one but say the other?’ flavour to the ‘why ask for Rachael?’ thing.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
In a way, you could look at murdering while morphed as in the same category of acts as committing a crime via a machine or vehicle that’s under your control, just in this case it’s biological instead of mechanical.

The obvious conclusion is that David should get slapped with vehicular homicide.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Shwoo posted:

That, or David stole a plane ticket to San Diego and took a trip to SeaWorld.

David would never steal a plane ticket. That would be a crime! But a bird can’t steal a plane ticket...

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I think I’d assumed that the Andalite blockade of the Yeerk home world wasn’t as absoloute as they might have hoped.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

freebooter posted:

This reminds me of a great line from one of my favourite author's otherwise mediocre novels (Peter Carey, His Illegal Self):

Holy poo poo, I was not expecting to open this thread and hear about goddamned Nambour, that hit me like a truck.

Also I remember really appreciating the way the kids approached this lawyer visit, they were properly wary and prepared for anything going wrong with it and aware it seemed sus.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Oh, no.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
The thing with Marco is that I buy him turning on the performance when it’s a stressful situation, or for the benefit of the team when they’re in a bad place. But I think you’re right, he’s been a bit too performative when there’s little or no stakes. Basically, he’s performing for the audience and he doesn’t really have a reason to.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I'm not going to lie, without some kind of pretense for it, Rachel in I-Should-Be-In-Charge mode always felt out of character to me.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

freebooter posted:

Also it's interesting that Ax remains loyal to Jake without hesitation. I wonder if that would still be true if it really was the entire fleet showing up instead of just some kind of small recon mission.

I feel like this explicit situation was dealt with in earlier Ax books - Jake is his prince until he says otherwise. I think it may have even been the Leera book they name-checked.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

freebooter posted:

Though actually - how did the 24-hour clock become universal? Nations cannot agree on distance measurements or power sockets or even seasonal calendars, but no matter where you go an hour is always an hour and a minute is always a minute.

They're everyone's minutes, Ax.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
As an Australian who has not read this book, I am quietly terrified.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
It's only a little off course...

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Epicurius posted:

(I''m looking at Australian holidays, and you all are really front loaded. After April and May, you've got pretty much nothing till October. Spread your hoilidays out!)

Some of us tried - my state moved the Queen’s birthday, of all things, to try to spread them out more.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
There’s an element to it as well, I think, of ‘sometimes people make mistakes’. I know up there last book Jake beats himself up over it for a hot minute about ‘oh, I rush in when I should wait and wait when I should rush in’ over it, and as noted they’ve been doing this for years and are also children. The stakes are a little higher than ‘missing out on the soccer team’ or whatever, but people do make mistakes. What’s important is how you handle it.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Zore posted:

I also think it gives another decent reason why they haven't really conscripted Naomi or Cassie's parents, or given them morphing powers. None of them are really internalizing reality yet and they are probably (correctly) fearing the first thing they would do is sneak out in morph and do something really stupid.

After all, that's what David did, right?

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

Don't feel bad, that's understandable. We know you're new to the experience of having Earth blood.

They’re everyone’s blood, A- oh. I guess it technically isn’t.

Carry on.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul and Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthil have no component of their names in common while being brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Kazzah posted:

Hell of a thread, hell of a poster

Sad it ended this way. Thanks for the thread (and the thermals), Epicurius.