Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
So this is really nitpicky but since we already discussed plot holes a little, I had never noticed this:

quote:

"I had fur, Jake. And I was growing claws. You should have seen the real Dude. He went nuts. I had to put him outside before I could morph all the way. He clawed me up pretty good." Tobias stuck a sliced finger into his mouth.

We learn later that morphing heals you so if Tobias got cut while morphing into a cat his finger cut should have healed when he transformed back. Which raises the question of why Elfangor didn't just morph something and run away and then be healed completely when he morphs back. I don't remember if the morph healing thing comes up in this book or if it's something she comes up with later.

Anyway I'm a big fan of these books, looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Gotta hand it to pony tail dude, hitting birds in flight with a rifle is some insanely good shooting.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
They do morph people later on but I don't think they address any psychological effects. Ax morphs a human and it's kind of a running joke that he has trouble controlling instincts that we don't even notice we have

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The middle books are weaker in general and they tend not to advance the larger narrative but I'm fond of them because they pack in so many fun scifi concepts. I mean sure, the Helmacrons don't do much but the concept of tiny alien hitlers is too fun not enjoy at least a little bit. I think the Chronicles books are some of the strongest in the series, especially Andalite, Ellimist and Visser.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Yeah the Yeerk empire is not very old and pretty small. It started within Elfangor's lifetime. Taxons are the most numerous host but the Yeerks hate infesting them because they have to deal with the hunger instinct. They don't have many Hork Bajir because the Andalites killed almost all of them with a bio weapon

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

PetraCore posted:

Yes, Cassie is a perfectly interesting character and a necessary element in a group of people doing increasingly terrible things, but it also felt when I read as a kid that she was the one typically framed to have the 'right' perspective, which gets grating. As an adult, it's interesting in that on the surface she's least suited to being a child soldier of the 5 of them, yet she's not reluctant the way Marco is - she knows what she's fighting for basically instantly and is willing to kill for it even as early as book 1, while trying not to minimize the moral implications. That's cool!

I agree with the point about her being right a lot in a way that doesn't feel earned. I think my main problem with it, especially later in the series, is that the other animorphs argue for a pragmatic choice and Cassie argues for a more moral choice, and then later it turns out that Cassie's ethical plan is also the best strategically. Real life isn't like that, making moral choices frequently puts you at a disadvantage vs people that don't, especially in war. It's a copout that the ethical choice also always happens to be the pragmatic one in a war of extermination.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I wonder if Tobias will have a normal hawk lifespan while morphed or if he lives as long as a human. I would guess the hawk one which is kind of a bummer.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Kind of makes sense that the limit wouldn't be exactly two hours. Whatever units the Andalites use probably wouldn't be evenly divisible by earth hours so maybe the real number is 2:04:37 or something and Elfangor just said "2 hours" so they can remember it.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Khizan posted:

The part that gets me is that they never realize here that, while the Yeerks may have some difficulty infesting Earth by stealth right now, they could almost certainly take Earth over by force quite easily. Anybody with that level of technology has the ability to just sit in orbit and hammer Earth with kinetic energy weapons until Earth gives up, and there's nothing Earth could do about it.

They could just sit up there and fling rocks at the planet until Earth agreed to hand over ten million hosts and there's fuckall that five morphing teenagers could do about that.

Being a living prisoner in your own body sounds so hellish that I bet most people would rather straight up die by asteroid, I know would.

On the Andalite thing, while they have FTL travel it's later established that it's not instant. Even if the Andalites are on their way right now it could take years.

my bad, added spoiler tag
vvvv

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 18, 2020

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
That hiker now knows that earth is being invaded by brain stealing aliens but there's nothing he can do about it and he can't even tell anyone. That's gonna be a fun life.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Did they even consider what would happen if they got sucked up the tube and had nowhere to go after that? It's totally realistic for 13 year olds but it's still funny how they only plan for the best case scenario instead of the most likely one. I hope they get better later on.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Writers are bad at math.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I always thought they should kidnap known controllers and tie them up for a few days without revealing their own identities. Those people will already 100% believe in the Yeerk invasion and they can't turn traitor because they would get instantly snapped up and reinfected. Use those people to start isolated resistance cells and spread the word.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
People used to be really into whales and dolphins. This would have been a few years after Free Willy came out and kids were all about that. This isn't even close to the dumbest thing they find in the ocean though.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It's just the structure of the series that they usually get 1 new morph per book. Gets a little silly later on when they run out of cool animals and it has to justify why they suddenly need to become ducks or cows or whatever. They are really short and it usually takes a while to give you animal facts and a couple of body horror paragraphs when they transform so they don't have space to do a bunch of them anyway.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I don't want to spoiler anything for anyone but there are 55 books in this series and most of us read them ages ago, it's gonna be hard to remember what specific book something was in to label it. I think anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled should just not read the spoiler tags.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 15, 2020

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
TBF I think they kind of have been trying to warn people.

Book 1 - try to free a bunch of people from the Yeerk pool which would definitely blow the Yeerk's cover
Book 3 - try to disable the food ship's cloaking device over a city

Neither one worked out well for them.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Animorphs seems perfect for an animated movie or show. A live action one is going to be crazy expensive if they want it to look decent.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Ax is such a badass.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Tree Bucket posted:

Can whales actually hit stuff with their tales? Wouldn't that just, like, push them through the water?
That said, I imagine getting hit by a fast-moving sperm whale would be extremely unpleasant.

I was curious too so I googled it and it turns out that they can.

https://sciencing.com/whales-protect-themselves-4566498.html

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Shame it's not lobsters, I like the image of 6 lobsters crawling into Chapman's front door in a line while he blithely ignores them.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think the Andalites are going to have a serious manpower crunch before long when they have only one cadet on the whole domes ship.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Radio Free Kobold posted:

gave this a go but i don't really like it. it feels so, so completely different from the series proper, like i'm not even reading the same characters. on the other hand i noticed Sacred Host; i'm only about 7 chapters in but so far it seems to be a story about a young woman teaching yeerks about god. very very strange but also kinda cool.

I'm liking this. Kind of like Animorphs meets the Screwtape Letters.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I don't think boiling them in the pool is immoral. It's not a war crime to ambush your enemy or bomb their barracks or kill them in their sleep, and since those are all acceptable I don't see why this wouldn't be. I guess you could equate the Yeerks in their own bodies to an enemy that's too wounded to indicate that they are surrendering but that feels like a stretch to me.

Both sides are going into it with open eyes that this is a "take no prisoners" type of war. If the Yeerks had a chance to take the Animorphs in their sleep they would do it without hesitating so that's another reason I don't think it's immoral to do the same in reverse.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Probably would have been smarter for the humans to be Jake in shifts than have Ax do it when he knows almost nothing about humans. Maybe have Ax take nights.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

SirSamVimes posted:

Then the other humans would have to explain their own absences.

Yeah but only for two hours at a time, Rachel can say she's at the mall, Marco that he's at Jake's, Cassie that she joined a hippy nature commune etc.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

quote:

I saw images from a strange place, as seen through strange eyes. Liquid all around. Shapes, like squids, shooting through the liquid. Yeerks. Swimming in the Yeerk pool. Soaking up Kandrona rays.

Ax said Yeerks are blind. Maybe he was taking a dip in the Yeerk pool as a Gedd or something.

Also it's too late now but I think Fly would have been his best bet. 4 mph for 2 hours puts you 8 miles out in any direction, then go bird and fly home.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I got the feeling that Yeerk admired Jake to some degree. Yeah he would make him a host if he could, but if not I think he wouldn't want to destroy such a unique body for no reason. Like a naturalist wouldn't want to see an endangered lion put down even if it mauled him, or a jockey wouldn't want to see a good horse neglected even if he could never ride it.

Plus Jake did mention that he had fantasies of being rescued right up until the end, and he wouldn't want to be stuck as a roach if that happened.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 30, 2020

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think it could work even with the Ellimist chronicles stuff. He's a hive mind by the end of that, I could see him referring to himself as "we" since his original personality is just a small part of the total by that point. He's kind of a species with just one organism.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I like Megamorphs #2 dinos, I'm mixed on the others though. The Chronicles and Visser are all fantastic.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
This is the one where it reveals that the entire series is set in the imagination of a kid staring at a snow globe

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Also, Cassie gets a whale morph in this one that she uses later to scare off David when he's in a killer whale morph.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Only the instant oatmeal, and only the maple and ginger flavor

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
GIVE ME YOUR GLOBULES HUMAN CHILD

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I really like every scene with Cassie's parents, just such a nice wholesome family.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I didn't think Elfangor liked the music either, he did like the Dr. Pepper though.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Wasn't that a Colonel Kurtz scenario? I don't think Ax even know about it.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Random thoughts:
- We find out that the Yeerks have infiltrated the Andalite home world in the same book where a Yeerk betrays Visser 3
- Is this the first time we see Visser 3 off the job? I got the impression that he kind of admired the snake, he's definitely and animal lover
- Those 2 Hork Bajir who ran away are going to be in a world of hurt since Visser 3 lived
- Alloran is one of the best characters in the series
- Ax and Tobias have a lot in common, makes sense that's who Ax confides in

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think Ax would have killed him when he was infested, his species wasn't the main reason imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It's kind of a "Frodo sparing Gollum" moment because Alloran's intervention stops the Andalites from glassing Earth at the end.