Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tree Bucket posted:

Ahaha, so it wasn't just me! This series really cares about thermals.

While I think of it, do we ever get any info on how big the Yeerk and Andalite empires are? Tens of worlds, hundreds, half the galaxy?
I distinctly remember being eleven and catching a hint that the Yeerk empire isn't that huge, yet, and feeling absurdly relieved.

Visser's speech in the first book seemed to imply that there wouldn't be anywhere close to enough Yeerks to infest every single human

quote:

<Because there are so many, and they are so weak,> Visser Three sneered. <Billions of bodies! And they have no idea what's happening. With this many hosts we can spread throughout the universe, unstoppable! Billions of us. We'll have to build a thousand new Yeerk pools just to raise Yeerks for half this number of bodies

In fact it seems like getting enough Yeerks would be a huge undertaking of it's own. And this isn't even counting any Yeerks infesting Taxxons/Hork-Bajir/etc.

And what's more is he claims that those billions of humans (backed with Yeerk tech I'd have to assume) would be an unstoppable force, so it would seem that the other races aren't crazy populous either.

e; this also possibly hints at a reason why a human might work with the Yeerks now- even after the conquest is complete, there will be loads of non-controller humans while the Yeerks build their numbers. So you trade being controlled now, but in exchange you get freed (plus maybe some sort of reward or cushy position) later

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jake might as well have been yelling "I sure do like being a human being in control of my own body, with no alien hi-jackers! No yerks for me, no sirree!"

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

This has got to look hysterical from a human sized perspective

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

please tell me they're gonna find a place to de- and re-morph to reset their timers...

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The only good yeerk is a dead yeerk!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

huh, my childhood memories only have Jake being infested and like nothing else from this book. like the capture/starving being pretty much the whole book, but its really just a small portion isn't it?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Police raid expecting a grow-op. DARE saves the day?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Ooh, my artificial sun, my robot sun
Three more days of TIME, KANDRONA
Ooh, you make my Yeerk pool run, my Yeerk pool run
Get it all filled up with SLIME, KANDRONA

Never gonna stop, give it up, taking over minds
I always swim right up, for the Hork of the Bajir kind
Aagh, aaghh, aghhh, NOOOO
M-m-m-my Kandrona

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Wahad posted:

I like to think I turned out alright, anyway.

i dunno, you're posting on something awful afterall

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I would combine the dna of the world's deadliest animals to create the deadliest of them all

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Epicurius posted:

Pretty much. I think it was something like Scholastic figured kids could relate to other kids like them than an alien and a kid who's now a hawk.

well, I guess the best thing you could say is at least they didn't lump 'girl/black/latino' in there too

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I don't think it's a stretch to say the Yeerks enjoy subjugation either.

yeah it's basically you've got this slave permanently in 'your' head every second mentally screaming at you

if you start to emphasize with them, well, sure you can try to be a 'nice' master but eventually you hit the wall of "Holy poo poo, I'm a monster for doing this"

but the yeerks that are cruel and enjoy the suffering just keep on. and then they're ruthless enough to cut-throat advance through the ranks, creating and enforcing a culture of violence, backstabbing and self-interest even with the nicer yeerks

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

please, this is the animorphs thread, show some respect and limit yourselves to just bats vs spiders

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

on the one hand, Cassie's already acquired and tested the morph and/or Rachel's volunteered and Marco is clearly very reluctant.

on the other hand, it's a Marco book, nothing we can do

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I think the bit that stuck with me the most over the years was Rachel getting devoured by ants, and then Jake's attempt at forcing an ant war, although I forgot the context of when/how that happened. Well, that and the fate of David=====

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

quote:

I caught a glimpse back down behind me. A glimpse of a strange creature that looked like a blue deer at first. Until you saw the head with its extra stalk eyes mounted on top. And the slashing, scorpion tail.

another data point- tobias thinks the things most immediately noticeably different than 'deer' are:

-blue
-eye stalks on head
-tail

as opposed to human chest and arms

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

The duplication thing is an extra layer of stupid, though, in that they're basically creating matter.

maybe they're somehow tapping into the same phenomenon that morphing something larger does, where it just kind of pulls mass from z-space

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

like a badger with something caught in its throat

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

oh I think I know what's going on. The yeerks are trying to copy the animorphs by infesting horses and sneaking them on to the base. can't infest soldiers because you can't sneak off every three days, unless you get most of them + the leaders at once.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the best method I know for smushing flies is to clap just above them; you catch them on the way up (or sideways or whatever)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

Flies don't have lungs?

nope, little openings called spiracles

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I only remembered the fly swat scene but dang everything after and including that part was actually incredibly solid

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

how is it that I remember 'happy meal with extra happy', and the bio-filter but not any of the rest of the book.

also I think I'd actually mixed up the Jake gets squashed scene into this book's McDonald's scene

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

GodFish posted:

Maybe he'll like it.

pre-emptive defense against yeerk infestation, announce you're just stuffed to the brim with the stuff so don't even try

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

quote:

“Back there!” I yelled, pointing to a door. I yanked it open. A food pantry. And there, sitting calmly atop a crate of canned minestrone and enjoying a banana, sat a gorilla.

“Marco?”

<No, some other gorilla,> he said.

Marco owns

I remember someone in the thread posited that Visser 3 is basically constantly telepathically blaring his hate and anger but I'm not sure if that's consistent with his pre-Alloran portrayal.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Shwoo posted:

Visser Three's problem-solving skills start and end at "turn into a giant monster and eat the problem". His superiors must be even worse, since they apparently thought he was a good pick for a covert invasion.

he does have a good head for military operations and ambushes- defeating the andalite force at the series start, ambushing the animorphs in the Tobias book with the fuel ship, completely owned them in the time travel Jake one.

He's also had some plots that although they weren't successful were good ideas like scouring the forest in the Cassie/termite one or the morph hunter in the megamorphs.

He also respects the capabilities and dangers of morphs, although it almost seems to be to the point of paranoia (like it's a recurring Thing where they have to run or scramble because V3 freaked out about an animal existing, so he's for sure giving them problems although you have to wonder how many times he's flipped out and it wasn't them)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

it's actually an andalite word pronounced "sword" that means something entirely else

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dinosaurs... dinos...

memories... unlocking

...topia...

...island...

...cassette...

...future...

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Don't sexualize the children

yeah we only traumatize them here

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I also wonder how much is growing up with, well, not so great cooking.

I mean, love my mom, but she'd only boil broccoli and other veggies. But now I've learned you can bake or fry them and also to Salt, Pepper, Oil, Garlic and maybe cayenne or something and it's like, what the hell.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

hang on, how can Ax use his stalk eyes to watch the ship when he's already morphed to bird

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Fritzler posted:

Do we ever get the opinions of any Yeerks who take over non-sentient beings? Or more specifically, what those non-sentient beings think/feel about it? Do they seem as psychologically damaged by the process? I do think enslaving sentient beings to have more experiences is very different than eating a pig. I don’t think Yeerks have to be condemned to being blind in a pool - they can just as easily take over non sentient species. They might have to communicate a different way, or invent a new language, but that seems as valid a solution as the one they decide later.

well, they couldn't take over the hammerheads without modifying them first

on the other hand, they have the capability to modify them

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the yeerk should go in the leopard

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

whatever yeerk who stumbled on this while trawling ebay is feeling pretty hot right now though

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I like how the dad is 100% on board too, calls it by name and like, prefers having a cobra in a box under his son's bed over just a random spider

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Interesting that Ax was the one to first suggest bringing David into the group/giving him morph powers, but later voted against it.

I guess since his first inclination was that he'd follow don't call me Prince Jake's lead, he figured the best, most soldierly thing to do would be to present the option for his leader's consideration, and only later realized/decided that he personally was not for it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

the regenerative capabilities of morphing on it's own is a huge boon, let alone everything else

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Watching Marco's house, keeping an eye on David, totally prepared to take out the yeerk force, which they do swiftly and without fuss- probably the group's most competent moment yet.

Although, I do wonder how feasible it would have been to capture David's father? I guess not very, since they were in the middle of the city. Maybe if they had a car.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Things Tobias knows about:

-birds
-aircraft, which are basically metal birds
-dinosaurs, which are basically scaly old birds
-thermals, which are basically hot windy birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

1 mistake in planning- why bother to dress Ax up if he's just going to demorph?

1 mistake in execution- why wait around doing nothing before taking the clothes?

1 mistake in threat assessment- trust your gut dude, Cassie in owl morph wasn't mistaken