Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You know, I'm not an expert on underground chambers but I'm pretty sure something the size of the Yeerk pool is probably lined in concrete or something similar and not just bare earth. I don't think a mole can dig through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

freebooter posted:

I guess she's just hoping the biofilters are only on the entrances? Though I wouldn't have assumed the entrances/exits were one-way.

Also the idea of just standing there in the sludge with Yeerk bodies bumping against you is gross gross gross.

I think in one of the earlier books Tobias mentioned that he had seen Chapman and some other known Yeerks entering the pool through The Gap's dressing room but leaving through the movie theater, so I'm guessing one-way entrances and exits are standard.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I've gotta say, I wasn't expecting the Animorphs to actually go through with poisoning the Yeerk pool. This is definitely the most monstrous thing they've done so far and I'm pretty sure using chemical weapons like that is an unambiguous war crime.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ax did nothing wrong.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Epicurius posted:

It just seems to me that "I want this person injured but not too badly" shouldn't lead to the conclusion, "And that's why I'll have him get hit by a car." I mean, you're commanding Yeerk forces on Earth, most of your troops are human-controllers. Learn the limitations of the human body.

I mean, are you going to be the one to tell Visser 3 that he has a bad plan? The universe's worst boss strikes again!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

quote:

My human friends attend school five days in a row, then do not attend for two days. They don’t know why.

This is a cute line.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

While Alloran was a bit of a stick in the mud, it still seems pretty likely that it was something he picked up before he was taken by the Yeerks, if only because he saw the strategic use of being able to fly occasionally.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Can you imagine Visser Three dealing with the 7/11 graveyard shift crowd?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

freebooter posted:

I think the Andalites' Spartan/bushido warrior culture is extremely lovely towards the disabled.

This shows up in a later book! Andalites are extremely lovely about it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I was also under the impression that hammerheads were a species of shark that attacks humans so I think it might just be a 90's thing. Plus, any shark that looks as imposing as a hammerhead must be incredibly dangerous.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, this is all way too coincidental to not be the Ellimist, he's just being a bit more subtle than showing up in person.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think one of the Ax books mentioned that Andalites used to fight among themselves, though it seems to be in the distant past and they've probably been united as a species for as long as they have been an interstellar civilization, if not longer. I don't know what the Taxxons were like before the Yeerks, but the decision to join them sparked some conflict, as seen in the Andalite Chronicles.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What kind of self-respecting 90's kids have never seen Jurassic Park? It shouldn't be that hard to figure it out.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tobias is definitely the right age to have been super into dinosaurs. Dinosaurs were huge in the late 80's and early 90's. Partially due to movies and media but also because there were a lot of exciting discoveries about them in that era. For instance, Sue, a 90% complete fossilized T-Rex, was discovered in 1990. Dinosaurs definitely aren't as popular today as they were 30 years ago but some kids are still into them. My nephew has some dinosaur toys he loves to play with and my niece was super into them when she was in the 8-10 range a few years ago.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The problem with Cassie is that she's always right. When she overrides the group consensus on something, it always turns out to have been the better decision and when she breaks from her morals and just ices someone, that always ends up being the right decision too.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I think Ax also just has a very dry sense of humour even by Andalite standards.

Yeah, Elfangor had a more straight forward sense of humor in the Andalite Chronicles.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

This all brings up the question, if you eat in morph, does that carry over into your base form? Could Tobias have morphed human and eaten some fruit to assuage his hunger?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

A million ants in a trenchcoat is a pretty fun alien design.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I read probably about half the books and in no particular order. I didn't read any of the Chronicles books, so I'm definitely looking forward to more of those in the future. I read the last book a couple of years after I had fallen off the series because I saw it in the library and was curious how the series ended. That was an experience.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think this is one of the only Cassie books I remember liking as a kid.

Also, wow, that's an even worse souvenir of morphing than Marco finding the ant mandible in his side.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

e X posted:

Is this the first book that actually presents the Yeerks as something other than completely and irredeemably evil?

There was the Yeerk that gave Ax the location where Visser 3 feeds as revenge for his dead lover.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

Also the Visser 3 vs. Visser 1 gang cold war, setting them free to cause trouble in Book 5, though that's more "enemy of my enemy" scheming than not-evil, necessarily.

Yeah, I consider that just a part of the incredibly hosed up nature of Yeerk politics, while a Yeerk that cares about someone else so deeply that he would help the Yeerk's sworn enemies is a lot more sympathetic.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

Actually, do we know what happens yet if a host dies? Can the Yeerk still get out?

I don't know if we've been specifically told that Yeerks die when their hosts die, but we've seen Yeerks abandon ship when their hosts are near death like Visser 3 after he got bit by Ax's rattlesnake, so it's probably safe to assume they do. Otherwise it would probably be safer to stay put and wait for the body to be recovered by other Yeerks.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

The leopard poses dramatically

<FOOLS! Your earth creatures do indeed make for the most fascinating of morphs>

Visser 3 is a known cat-lover so it fits.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The ending was definitely dumb and obviously a cop out to maintain the status quo and I don't think Aftran (and the Yeerks as a whole) come off as sympathetically as KAA probably intended but I'm glad she tried, even if it kind of fell flat.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

For me the revelation that Yeerks are blind, but not deaf and can communicate with each other within the pool is a big thing. I was under the impression before that that Yeerks were completely isolated outside of a host body, which made them a bit more understandable. IDK, maybe this is all Seerow's fault for giving them guns and spaceships instead of hoverchairs or something that would allow Yeerks to be ambulatory in their natural bodies.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's David time!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The Andalite writing, at least.

They would only notice if they took a close look at it. Marco has the advantage of seeing the cube before, while none of the Yeerks have.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

“A simple incident of random chance” that results in a critical weapon being preserved for later use sure sounds like Ellimist fuckery.

David mentioned that he found it in an alcove and that it looked like somebody placed it there. It was definitely the Ellimist doing a totally not direct-intervention.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Just absolutely stunning competence on all sides right now.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

lmao that the snake is named Spawn. David is such an edgelord.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Covering things up is a lot easier when the witnesses say exactly what you want.

Plus the Yeerks seem to have people in law enforcement and the media.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Morphing makes sense for combat when you are kids with no access to weapons and fighting a guerilla war where they need to hide their identities but an actual military force would be more effective as just humans with guns and tanks.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think the Yeerks probably lose a protracted war with Earth, but it would make World War 2 look like a minor skirmish. The logistical problems the Yeerks face are insurmountable in the long term, despite their technological superiority. The Yeerks best chances would probably be a massive first strike and hope to coerce major earth powers to surrender to avoid annihilation. But that doesn't work if it becomes known that the Yeerks need humans alive. Basically, there's a very good reason the Yeerks are opting for the stealthy approach at this point.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I dont know if I'd go so far as to say they'd have air superiority. I could absolutely see a massive cruise missile strike dusting a bunch of Bug Fighters.

I think we can all agree open war is a loss condition for the local Yeerk forces, regardless of what happens next. It's almost like the ending of The Thing, in a way. Once the humans go scorched earth, all bets are off.

Human weapons can probably take down Bug Fighters but they have stealth systems that render them invisible to radar and the naked eye, which would make shooting them down a lot more difficult.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

XCOM total conversion mod. Your team can also obtain morphing technology.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think they could have left David out of the mission without causing more problems. Putting aside the fact that this was supposed to just be a recon mission, leaving David behind would only serve to further drive a wedge between him and the other Animorphs. As much as they could explain that he doesn't have enough experience to participate in such an important mission, he's just a 13 year old kid, he's going to resent being left out by the group. Things are shaky enough between him and the others as is, piling more stuff on him is just going to make things much worse.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I've actually never read this one. I read the first and last David book, but not the middle one. I'm curious exactly how things turn out the way they do.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They should have just had Tobias morph human and use a pair of tweezers or something to place all the fleas on Jake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Lions also live and hunt in groups so I would definitely go with the more solitary tiger in a one on one fight. Two lions could probably take two tigers for the same reason, though.