Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I remember there's a line in book 15 where this yet-unintroduced character points out how odd it is the Andalite bandits have never killed a human, which I found really jarring. They might try not to, but there's no way they haven't done it accidentally by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Gotta go human first. It becomes a plot point many, many times.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
nvm

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 29, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Grammarchist posted:

I have the mental image of a squirrel being in a North By Northwest situation. Like Visser Three took it into custody thinking it was an Andalite, but it escaped and is now chewing through the wires of his ship and always escaping through sheer luck and pluck while Visser Three commends it as an honorable foe.

This kind of happens at one point; it's the plot of book 39. It's not a particularly good book, but it's one of the more interesting ones from that era, which is the low point of the series IMO.

I read these books all out of order, after the series was over. I remember when I finally got around to reading book 1, and was shocked at how much was set up just in that. Like I'd always assumed Tobias getting stuck happened two or three books in.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

So far I have really loved how the kids have been shown to use morphing when they're not on a mission.

It's one of my favourite running gags of the first couple books. Jake constantly tells them not to do it, and everyone including Jake does it anyway.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
My most-reads are probably either 18 (the one where they go to Leera), or 24 (the Helmacron one). Kid-me had no interest in angst, just fun desperate space adventures.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I remember the lobster morph being a particularly bad one, description-wise so I'm looking forward to seeing how gross the morphs get. Pity that the flea morph was offscreen, do they ever use that one again? Seems like it would be somewhat helpful for low-stakes infiltration, especially if you enlist someone else in morph as a watcher to keep an eye on whoever the flea is on.

I half-remember there being a scene where Marco almost gets stuck halfway out of a flea-morph, it's really awful. That happens a while from now, maybe in the David books. I think Cassie saves the day that time too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Daikloktos posted:

Hork Bajir have better vision than humans? I don't know that that tracks, though I guess the Arn could have juiced then any which way

I believe they have better depth perception but weaker colour distinction. I don't know why my brain holds onto this information, but there you go.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They're blind, and can't live outside of water for long. You basically need to drop the yeerk straight into the ear.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ravenfood posted:

I feel like the ability to just...merge morphs? Or whatever Ax just did is some kind of new uncharted body horror poo poo if they wanted it to be.

It will never, ever be mentioned again. It's basically a crutch to put off the question of morphing a sentient creature until later in the series (barring sentient-ish animals, of course).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Not even the worst thing that happens in this book

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's a handful of times in the series where we get to see what it's like to be on the receiving end of the animorphs, and it's always terrifying

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Megamorphs 1 isn't very good. It's neat to see one of these written from multiple perspectives, but the later attempts (especially 3 and 4) do it better.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh poo poo, I forgot this one had that bit where Marco drives

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Maybe she forces them to rotate, so they don't get attached to their hosts

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Joey had a SON?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The reuse of the stalk-eyes is inspired

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
While we're talking Animorphs transformers, at one point they devised this:

To be clear, the first set of images are supposed to be Jake, Marco, and Cassie in just their regular human forms.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Canny of Marco to get him into a human morph before he started asking questions

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The elite hork-bajir guard he sent in were actually the Animorphs in morph! Actually that one would fit in with their MO.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah I remember like a wall of tapes, most of them with cramped labels from having a couple of things on them (except for The Matrix which was written in big spaced-out vertical caps)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah this is the first of several Jake-is-all-alone books spread across the series

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

freebooter posted:

I really didn't remember it ending this abruptly!

Side note - I *think* we see the Lerdethak show up again as in, a real one, in the Hork Bajir chronicles. Which is kinda neat, since V3's morphs are usually just one-and-done crazy monsters of the week that are never heard of again.

If I remember right, the big yellow snake reappears in book 15, though of course that's a Marco and he doesn't recognise it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I believe this is the final Rachel book in the series. She has a couple chapters in some later books, but this is the last one that's totally hers.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If I remember right, next book is The Last Caper

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Jake unwittingly gave Tom the ability to morph when he handed over the cube.

There's zero evidence for this theory, but it's neat.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I absolutely fuckin love the Everworld books and I want everyone else to love them too

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I mean the Animorphs and the Andalites basically have the same plan: let the Yeerks concentrate, then kill them (and their hosts) en masse. Just a question of scale.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Ax deliberately seeking out a conversation with another person is kind of a crazy moment for his character.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Man, this one's just Animorphs: :killing:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Book 53, The Answer, is a Jake. It’s also the first time we’ve gotten Jake’s perspective since 47 (the Civil War one). Wonder how he’s doin.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah it seems like a punishment detail more than anything.

Though if I remember right there's a Taxxon-controller on the Council, so maybe there's a sort of charm to it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
HOW many Taxxons, Arbron?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"Oh, that week we were all in the Arctic? Actually Ax was at home for that one, he spent the whole time swapping between morphs and running all our lives. Real classic sitcom two-dates-at-once type stuff."

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They’re not good by any stretch, but I’ll always respect the second one for its premise of “play as David”.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I say we go fer it

I'm halfway sure that Hamster is the only choice that doesn't lead to immediate death, but the pun, it spoke to me

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 12, 2023

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
A dog in the school might finally get Superintendant Chalmers to fire Chapman, but I don't think our character is 100% on him being a controller, so let's stealth it up with the Ferret again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hell of a thread, hell of a poster