Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Animorphs rules and I’m excited to follow this thread and yell about it with you folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Interesting to note how much Marco and Tobias dislike each other here. It takes them quite a few books to really warm up.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

the thing I forget most about these early books is how uninterested Marco is in actually doing anything. It makes sense with his background but good lord what a wet blanket in a YA adventure series

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Visser Three would have made a great villain if there were maybe five books. Because there are so many he just winds up looking totally ineffective, but he really does have some great moments.

He does wind up kinda overused, if there were more mid-tier yeerks beyond Chapman (yeah I know there are some Taylor, Tom’s second Yeerk, the helicopter grannybut LORD Chapman’s Yeerk is doing so much heavy lifting) it probably would have helped prevent his mystique from fading some as the series progressed.

On the other hand, it doesn’t really help that he’s not at all suited to manage Visser One’s invasion plan, being a real shock and awe dude forced into covert infiltration. And as soon as he’s Visser One he very nearly succeeds in his first attempt at that type of invasion: provoke nuclear war and then enslave the survivors.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

It’s funny how Cassie and Rachel tease Marco considering that after the war he becomes a big Hollywood star and the public face of the Animorphs.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

It kind of becomes a throughline for her character as the series goes on. Rachel gets all the attention because she turns into a bloodthirsty murder enthusiast but Cassie is much more subtly ruthless despite her role as the mother hen and peacemaker of the group. This is not going to be the last time she up and murders someone off-screen because it's what had to be done.

And don’t forget how she designs the plan to lure and trap David in morph. Cassie is drat ruthless when she wants to be. It just so happens that it’s a lot less than the other Animorphs want to be.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I am 100% here for this thread though I'm curious how people are going to feel when we get to the mid-series quality dip. After the ghostwriters start the books become a LOT of filler material with some really stupid things: anything with the Helmacrons, the Atlantis human mutants, the one where a cow and an ant get the morphing power.

Yeah books 36-44 get pretty bad with the exception of 38. 44 also has some interesting foreshadowing that Cassie’s the only person getting out of the war with her head on straight but it has a ludicrous premise. Might be worth just switching over to a weekly format discussing the books rather than going chapter by chapter. They aren’t exactly hard to find and Applegate’s given her blessing to :filez: since the originals are basically impossible to find (and thus get any money from) anymore.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Our first Rachel book, finished! She’s got some of the best books in the first half of the series, and some of the worst in the second half, so we should appreciate these while we can. It’s interesting that Rachel now has her reason to fight (which is the main theme of these early books), but Melissa doesn’t really ever play much of a prominent role going forward. To the point where I don’t think we find out what happens to her or the Chapmans at all by the end of the series. Escaped? Vaporized during the destruction of the Yeerk Pool? Who knows! Probably mostly a victim of the sprawling episodic nature of the series.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

It’s neat to see Tobias’s affection and empathy for the Hork-Bajir even in his very first book

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I don't see how you make a book serial into a film

yeah in all honestly it’d be much better served if you sold like HBO on a gritty* animated series

*I know this term gets a bad rap but the violence/gore gets pretty wild and to actually see it on the screen would shove its rating way outside the YA range of the books

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Everyone loves Animorphs, the kids series where teens have fun animal adventures!

*3 books later*

We regret to inform you the hawk boy attempted suicide

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Be nice. There are a bunch of good Cassie books.

Both Cassie and Rachel get shafted with some of the worst books in the second half of the series but it averages out since they have some great ones in the first half.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

:stare:

I completely forgot about this. It’s very... Ecco-y?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Marco is incredibly intelligent, something that really comes through as the series goes on. Especially once his dad starts to recover and we get to spend some time with Eva it becomes really clear how much of his parents’ child he is.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Liberia is also a common port of call for ships to avoid taxes. A lot of cruise liners are based there.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

And the whole gang is finally together! (don’t call him Prince)

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/kaaauthor/status/1273646987783680003?s=21

an incredibly well-timed thread

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

...you know, I get the feeling a lot of the kids who grew up reading Animorphs eventually wound up on KSBD.
Weird species! Questions of identity! Shape-shifting! Horrifying moral dilemmas! Rad action sequences!

If you should meet the Ellimist on the road, kill him.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Jake, Ax, and Marco are about to get a lot of opinions on cleaning your room

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Marco’s life is just unceasing insanity

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Let’s Read Animorphs!:

chitoryu12 posted:

Would you believe it gets worse from here?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

God I cannot wait for us to get to Visser One because they rule, even reading the words gets me hyped

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

our galactic saviors, almost defeated by ants

also it’s funny that ants nearly kill them when they help cause the destruction of the original ant species in the stupidest megamorphs book

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Epicurius posted:

The Predator-Chapter 15

Honest admiration for Visser Three here. In the time after Ax sent the distress beacon, Visser-3 had to realize it was using the wrong code, that the entire thing was a trap, round up a hundred Hork-Bajir controllers, transport them to the quarry, and get them in position quietly enough that thee Animorphs didn't realize they were being ambushed.

That's a lot of effort.

The man understands theatrics, that’s for sure

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

I've heard The Ellimist's actions make more sense when you realize he/it represents the military industrial complex

No, that’s what the Andalites represent: a force everyone views with hope that actually doesn’t care if you’re ground into paste as long as its big-picture goals are accomplished, no matter the collateral damage

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

-glad that Tobias is more and more comfortable with his new life
-Rachel already getting a little too gung-ho about things
-looks like the Governor gets replaced one way or another in the next three years, as in #51 it’s a different person

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I think Eleutherophobia rules but yeah absolutely do not read it if you haven’t read the whole series yet

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Rachel keeps using the elephant to mess with people in her books

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

There’s also an interesting bit about Marco’s remarks on Ax and Rachel in that while by the end of the series they basically hate each other (Rachel viewing Ax as a traitor to the team and Ax thinking that Rachel is insanely bloodthirsty), they’re by far the most similar Animorphs in that they both love the war and battle and very kick-in-the-door battle plans. Of course as mentioned Rachel excels at school and Ax never paid attention in school but there are broad parallels between the two.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

The massive Yeerk Pool is a neat touch since when the series reaches the final arc that’s exactly what they start doing to the ruins of the city.

Also this future (if you can say it ever existed what with Ellimist weirdness) is clearly one where Ax died on impact and they teamed up with David who immediately got them all captured because he’s a loving idiot rear end in a top hat

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Berserker Rachel emerges, never to be put back in her bottle.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

For real though, Jake reads to me like someone who absolutely can't switch off, ever.

A lot of Jake’s characterization is coming but even now there’s a really fascinating bit that he’s just utterly mediocre at everything until thrust into leadership by the war. Can’t ever beat Marco at video games, already washed out of basketball in book 1, no hints that he’s very good in school at anything beyond a love for military history that was probably spurred by the war. It’s no surprise that he winds up totally consumed by fighting the Yeerks inside and out

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

This book is just such an excellent introduction into what Ax is really all about

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

And we get our first glimpse of how the Andalite high command are just the biggest dicks. Interesting conversation about guilt I hadn’t noticed too, considering the real guilt Andalites should feel is the genocide of the Hork-Bajir

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

Literally the only bad thing about this book is that it's the start of Scholastic forcing KAA to alternate Tobias and Ax books instead of each of them getting a book in each "cycle."

On the other hand, it does kind of work out for them: there are only one or two Ax books below "great" quality, and I don't think Tobias has a single one (though some of his are not fun, exactly). I don't think I can say that about the others. Maybe Marco?

Ax and Tobias both only have one bad book apiece, but while Marco has a couple that are filler every one of his outside those massively advances the plot so I think I have to give the trophy to him. At the least, none of them are poor Rachel.

Also god I forgot how strong this book is looking back. It's so excellent.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

i warned you about eusocial insects bro!!!

i told you dog!!!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Speaking as someone that doesn't have skunks in his country, is it really that bad?

it’s loving horrible

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Marco is bi confirmed (I am a child)

Sadly for Marco, Jake has eyes only for Cassie and military hardware

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

Epicurius posted:

We've seen the amount of effort it takes for a human host to act independently of their Yeerk. Jake couldn't do it at all. Tom could barely shake his head. The Chapmans, to save their daughter, rebelled and were exhausted by the effort. And here's Marco's mom, not just rebelling, but getting words out. The amount of mental energy and will that must have taken, and her drive to save her husband must have been enormous.
This is because Eva is a loving badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/graphixbooks/status/1320757100725833729?s=21

Visser Three living his best life