Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Also a zoo is a pretty obvious place to install controllers, since it's one of the first places "teenagers who might have the power to morph" might show up.

IIRC the yeerks have no idea the kids have morphing powers they just want to remove possible witnesses. I think I remember them freaking out about the "Andalites" that somehow made it to Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks much for this thread. Its been kind of delightful to read the series I devoured about 10 books of before moving on as a kid and coming back to it with fresh, older eyes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kchama posted:

To be fair there's no guarantee that there's nobody who might somehow stumble onto them in the long minutes while they morph to human and back, and they are still pretty new to this. In later books they figure out where they can stop to morph to and from if it's gonna take more than two hours, but they do seem to prefer getting there in one morph.
Yeah but while it might take a bit longer total, they could also have half of them morph (to keep the other half with wolf-smell around) first and then switch sides. Also they've got Tobias around to keep an eye out, imperfect as that may be. Seems safer than gambling on having less than half the time in case they need to run or something. But like everyone's saying, they're also young teens.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I wonder if Tobias will have a normal hawk lifespan while morphed or if he lives as long as a human. I would guess the hawk one which is kind of a bummer.

Don't they heal when they morph? I wonder if that includes all the small injuries of wear and tear we accumulate over time too. Might not account for some elements of aging like increased cancer risk but it could add a decent amount to longevity. Plus maybe time spent in morph doesn't age the original form? Without that though, I feel like Tobias is going to live as long as a hawk does just because he's physically a hawk. Which kinda sucks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Huh. I wouldn't win any swimming competitions either but I kind of assumed most healthy people, if thrown into water would be able to at least thread water / dog paddle.

Most people probably can but Marco's deal with water and his current panic probably aren't helping. And they are in the open ocean and not in a pool or whatever.

So yeah he probably would be able to, he just doesn't know that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I feel like the ability to just...merge morphs? Or whatever Ax just did is some kind of new uncharted body horror poo poo if they wanted it to be.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah, he's wearing the mask to everyone else, but he is really honest with himself.

And he would be absolutely in love with Rachel completely, if he wasn't so obviously terrified of her.

It almost felt like he's less scared of her and more terrified for her.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

jesus christ what the gently caress

Yeah I don't remember this at all. Goddamn that's horrifying

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

It's weird how different everyone else's opinions have been compared to mine. At the time I think I found his character the most annoying.

Yeah I remember Marco annoying the poo poo out of me. I also remembered the ants but not the lobster or the spaceship/Visser 1 reveal, so clearly my memory wasn't great. Marco annoyed me, Cassie was cool and I wanted to hang out with her, I liked Tobias, Jake just seemed like a reskin of Power Rangers' Jason without any characterization whatsoever, and Ax was funny. I don't remember what I thought about Rachel.

On this reread, Marco's definitely been the most interesting though I enjoyed being in Tobias' head since there's a lot of implied feeling going on that I totally missed last time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How did I forget this?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, this whole chapter is making me think the Ellimist really doesn't want them to take the deal at all, and in fact used the last time-stop to show them the exit without breaking some kind of "rules" that may or may not exist for its time powers thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The switching between POVs as the Veleek targets each one differently isn't bad.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Kinda hosed up that Ax is ok with letting a bunch of humans get murdered when the Yeerk hosts die because of their actions but can't bring himself to kill Alloran despite him literally begging for it (or trying to get him out of there).

That said this book was great.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why I say that it strikes me as somewhat odd that somewhere along the line the Yeerks didn't realize humanity's true destructive potential with the right tools at their disposal and just try to make a full proper ally out of them. Humans are gullible as poo poo and love a good war against a sufficiently mythologized boogeyman, and it would take basically zero effort for the Yeerks to go "Hey, so there's this evil race of psychic blue elf centaurs with scorpion tails out there and they basically genocided our race for having the temerity to simply exist alongside them. They're coming here and they're going to turn this planet into a glass parking lot because they see humanity as potential rival and this is what they do when they perceive a threat to their galactic hegemony, just ask the last species they tried to genocide--us."

And people would be RUNNING to the recruitment booths like it was loving Starship Troopers.

On the other hand, brain-controlling slugs aren't the most...nongross ambassadors?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That poor crow. :gonk:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bobulus posted:

You know, it just occurred to me, with Cassie acquiring Rachel: why has no one acquired Ax yet? Ax's two big contributions to this team are computer skills and acting as a decoy. They really should have a means of doing both at once.

They don't tend to plan ahead that far and also are generally averse to acquiring sapient beings without a very good reason. I'm sure they would if the mission calls for it but so far they've been pretty hesitant to just get morphs on contingency.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any reason the Yeerk couldn't take over Elfangor in Taxxon morph and then just demorph to get an Andalite body?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gun Jam posted:

A bit late, but:

...When (appropriate)? Didn't the only time-traveling adventure so far war in 11, and only Jake remembered it? Did I forgot something, or he's not limiting himself to refer to things that already happen relative to this book?

When they meet the Ellimist for the second time they go to a future earth where the yeerks have won. In the future, they see the Pool and so figure out where the Kandrona is stored, so when they return to the present, they're able to find and destroy it.

I can't remember which book that is, but I'm 99% sure Tobias was there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Otherwise, he might tell the Visser something the Visser doesn't want to hear, which helps guarantee a long lifespan?
Nah I get the idea that Visser 1 would actually hear the Leeran-Controller out eventually. They weren't afraid to contradict the Visser, or say "don't be fooled" whereas Visser 3 would have killed someone for implying that it might be possible to fool Visser 3 in the first place.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah I have zero doubt that it was Cassie.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Wait, eating oatmeal permanently makes Yeerks not need Kandrona rays? It's not some kind of substitute? Weird.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

sleep with the vicious posted:

Couldn't they tie the guy to a chair for 3 days like they did to Jake?

Nah, that's why I was so surprised that the specific oatmeal thing makes the Yeerk permanently not need Kandrona. That Yeerk is now immune to Kandrona starvation apparently. Also is insane, fortunately for everyone else.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah, I thought that some books ago. For a series that tends to treat its subject realistically, given its high fantasy setting, it's kind of odd to just give him an always-on absolute evil aura. He seemed to have that even before he took Alloran in The Andalite Chronicles, didn't he?

I thought there was no way I'd read this book, but I actually own it. Still, I don't remember a thing from it. Ginger oatmeal? :nallears:

I thought it was because he was a telepathic species and even when he morphs is still capable of thoughtspeak and so is just kind of thoughtscreaming his evilness at all times.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

This is one of the books I have the clearest memories of. I've read it so many times.

It's a good one.

I somehow stopped before the Chee were introduced and I'm still pretty sure i remember this one well. I definitely remember that opening scene.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also Tobias totally made that plan just so he could get a Deinonychus morph.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I don't remember the ending but the comet has been mentioned what feels like once a chapter, Ax told them they're 65 million years back, and Tobias (the Kid Who Knows Things about Dinosaurs) has been making ominous threats for several chapters as well.

If the comet doesn't hit, then something they do makes it hit. I'm also pretty sure the comet hitting is what makes the Sario Rip open.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Rachel cutting her off and saying that no, they can't be friends because they clearly have different morals and values was...remarkably insightful for some teens.

Also obviously a giant blow to Cassie.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rollick posted:

I don't really get why Cassie is so laissez-faire here about the actual enslaved human being controlled by the Yeerk. Letting the Karen Yeerk live must mean condemning an innocent child, right? (I must have read this one, because I remember the Hatchet ref and the not counting to five trick, but the actual plot is a blank).

Yeah, that part stuck out to me too. It seems like something Cassie would definitely pick up on.

That said, this has been such a departure from the normal books and is really fascinating to read. I like it a lot.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I strongly disagree with anyone who says Cassie is stupid here. She's incredibly war-weary and desperate to find a way to find common ground with the enemy.

You can have very understandable reasons for being stupid.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

But thanks to their grit and plucky attitudes, they've won every time!
Mostly won!
Batted even!
Had a few key victories!
Not lost anyone yet!
Not permanently had anyone die yet

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah but he is also a dick.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

That's interesting; I always thought the standard "hi I'm Jake we're the animorphs yeerks are a thing" intros were pretty pointless this far into the series. But it looks like people were picking them up that far in!
Must've been insanely confusing.

I picked up a ton of books mid-series and then either rolled with it or went back later. It was usually fine. Mostly, it was because I was stuck with whatever the library had at the time.

I kept it up with TV too. If anything, I thought starting the BSG remake with "33" and missing the miniseries actually kind of helped pique my interest.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dungeon cousin posted:

Is it possible for a nothlit to regain morphing powers with the Escafil device? It would be a useful way to get rid of an identity, though permanently.

Elfangor's reaction to whatsisname being a Taxxon nothlit doesn't make too much sense if it's easily reversible with a standard issue blue box.

Especially since even the difficulty of "well he still has to morph back to Taxxon every two hours..." can be ignored because he could simply nothlit himself a second time as whatever "base" species he wanted, then re-Escafil himself. I think nothlit-ism is permanent, barring Ellimists or whatever loophole about "natural morphing" saved Cassie.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Rachel doesn't live "closest", she lives close. I definitely read that as "I may need her to commit a murder" and the "she lives close" provides some a) justification for delaying Ax coming with him, since she's close and it won't be far out of his way and b) gives him some mental space from the idea that he's immediately leaping to Rachel as his murder weapon.

He doesn't think about who is closest and go from there, he thinks about Rachel and then thinks about whether actually getting her is feasible, ie, that she IS close. Hypothetically, if she wasn't, I think that thought goes "get Rachel - wait, she's across town and we don't have time"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

why didn't Marco just morph cockroach or something while tied up

Yeah I wondered this immediately.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think the biggest mistake the authors made was having Jake and David fight in tiger/lion morphs because a) I think a tiger takes a lion and b) in every other situation David has shown that he loves the large powerful versions so him being a threat to the Animorphs, especially one on one, makes sense to me. This is a good example.

Also I know they are tired, but a lone orca doing weird un-orca things not being David is just an example of how not-paranoid they still are, despite dealing with an invasion of brain stealing aliens.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
This is a drat good arc. Though yeah, should have killed him. It would have been kinder.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm really curious about Seerow's initial talks with the Yeerks and whether this is some hitherto unknown faction that took over/forced decisive action or if the Yeerks that Seerow was talking to were just lying to him.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

Maybe it's a nice change of pace that the ancient race who built all the old technologies are secretly all still around and living in a society, rather than the typical long-dead civilization that inexplicably left behind functioning machines, but this still feels out of left field. In all these thousands of years no one has ever upset the balance before, for any reason, including any Arn or past seers? It took a simultaneous invasion by multiple alien species?

I guess for a one-off children's book you pretty much have to paint with a fairly broad brush.

Hork Bajir don't exactly have robust information storage structures. Could easily be that it has been disrupted, many times, and doesn't survive the lifespan of the seer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Remalle posted:

Isn't the Lerdethak the morph he used when they were in the Amazon?

Yep! It sounded familiar so I checked.