Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Caught up on this thread and have been enjoying the nostalgia tour. I was older than Animorphs' target market when it first came out since I was in high school for most of it, but my mom was an elementary school teacher and we had lovely dial-up internet so I'd borrow books from her classroom and read them anyway when I was bored, cuz they were good.

I remember having re-read a bunch of the earlier books multiple times, but some of the more recent ones I either haven't read or didn't remember well - the last Cassie one was new to me and impressive to me for what it was trying to do, even if it did tie things up a little messily. I don't recall most details of the next few books aside from how the situation resolves but I do remember it's a good time. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I wonder how Ax is going to react to this news.

Do we ever get to see any of their reactions? I don't remember any, but I also drifted away from the series fairly soon after this book so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I understand the dramatic pacing and how it would be kind of awkward to immediately have Tobias tell his friends what we just got told, but dammit, I would have loved to see everyone's reactions. There's probably fanfic of that somewhere.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Epicurius posted:

This is maybe a weird nitpick, but Dracon beams are specifically a Yeerk weapon, right? In fact, in the Hork-Bajir Chronicles, we learned how the Yeerks combined Andalite and Ongarchic weapon technology to make them. Of course, it's been 30 years since the events of that book, so I have no doubt the secret to Dracon beams is out in the wild now.

It's just getting genericized, like Xerox and Kleenex. The Yeerks better watch out or they'll have a trademark fight on their hands.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

A hot cinnabon with thermals rising off it

:perfect:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I just love that Ax has a photo of a cinnamon bun. Bun-zuh.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Who do you think got him the photo? As if Ax could get within photo distance of a delicious cinnamon bun himself and not be snarfing it.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Getting a little dusty in here.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It's gotta be because if he gets hit while in "hawk morph" and doesn't demorph to Andalite, they'll think the ray doesn't work, right? Except something is gonna go wrong. Something always goes wrong.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

freebooter posted:

For kids reading the original book it was clear what they were going to do since the answer is on the cover, but it's still a super crazy dangerous plan with a lot of holes.

So an average Animorphs plan, then.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Throughout this thread I kept starting books thinking I had never read this one and then remembering stuff as it came up. This is definitely one of the first (possibly the first) where I'm still sure I never even flipped through it and just. Holy poo poo god drat. This book.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I think it also makes sense on a character level. Toby will face struggles in either planet, but being with her people on Earth definitely seems like the brighter future for her on a personal level, and that's something a parent would want for their child.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The book as a whole isn't amazing since yeah, it's kind of a repeat, but I do really enjoy the hijinks at the end. Inciting attempted dog-murder is good silly fun.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It's also possible that an order to get his poo poo together was what Marco needed to hear, and it would work on him but not one of the others, and Jake knew him well enough to know it would work.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I absolutely love how the book builds up the empathy and then we're hit with the double whammy of what Visser One did at the end of her initial time on Earth and what she still wants to do in her future. God drat, she's so much more evil than the most bloodthirsty warmonger ever could be.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Rochallor posted:

There is something so chilling about Visser One genuinely feeling love for her children and not giving a poo poo if it's a subordinate of hers in their head ordered to love her back. She has become human in so many ways but hasn't learned anything.

Absolutely this. I'm not being flippant when I say a lot of the subjects of discussion in the rejected parents thread would love to have the option of parasite-enforced affection from their children.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The setup is nonsense but I'll accept it for the fun times with weird new buffalo friend and the ant body horror, which set a high bar. Overall it's better than the Rachel as leader book, which had an interesting setup but absolutely garbage writing across the board.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It's absolutely the last one.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Epicurius posted:

The important thing is we look forward. Forward to the rest end of this book.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Why didn't Visser Three/One kill him? I find it hard to believe he wouldn't immediately get so pissed that he'd kill him in a heartbeat.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

:perfect:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
A little late, but rereading the last book it's kind of wild to me that they stressed so much giving people in the pool time to escape and then cut to the downtown crater with collapsed skyscrapers, no doubt filled with the corpses of people who had no warning whatsoever.

Epicurius posted:

My name is Jake.

My name is Jake Berenson. The days of secrecy, of lurking in the shadows are over.

This always stuck with me over the years. I knew the series was nearly at an end, but when he gave his last name I was like oooh poo poo, here we go. I misremembered it as coming in the last book though.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Saros posted:

I think this can be put down to a bunch of teenagers not really understanding the probable effect of detonating 12kt of explosives underground in the middle of a city.

Yeah that is a good point.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
:unsmith: Welcome back.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Man. There it is.

I never really minded the bleak realism of the war's effects on the Animorphs, and I do like the idea of them going out fighting, but the specifics of it...I wondered if I'd feel different reading it now, but I still feel pretty ambivalent. The first time around, I read it is a virtually futile suicide run, and I disliked that the the books seemed to be indicating that there really is no real hope for a better life after something as traumatizing as war, that everyone but Cassie would be dead and that's just how it had to be.

Rereading everything slowly in this thread, I think that's a little harsh and there is a little more wiggle room for hope but I still kinda hate how it leaves Ax.

The rest of the book is pretty amazing and I had a great time in the thread. When the series originally finished, I was a freshman in college and I remember huddling in an aisle of the university bookstore where they sold a lot of children's books for the childhood education program, kind of embarrassed to be seen reading the last book, but you know what, screw that. Animorphs holds up incredibly well, even with the uhh less good books.

Thanks for taking us this far, Epicurious. :unsmith:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Parrots are cool.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Absolutely giraffe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible