Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It seems like if the andalites had just taught the yeerks how to morph, they wouldn't even need to be conquering and controlling other species in the first place huh. Probably a bad idea to give them that power since the yeerks so far seem like huge dicks, but it's a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How old are all the main kids supposed to be anyway, don't remember if that got mentioned.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Can he turn into that spider, now? :chef:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Many kids would be thrilled to have a legit excuse to burn their school down. :devil:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm not satisfied by their explanation for why any human would choose to remain a collaborator. Unless in that case the yeek is actually chill and amicable towards their host while cooperating, or something?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mom didn’t let me read these as a kid thinking it would be too scary, I think she was right. :ohdear:

That ended abruptly, feels like we are 1/3 through the story... It’s kind of simple but I enjoyed it so far, I hope you’ll keep going with these. :allears:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Should have kept the rifle, take the fight to the next level.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm predicting they'll decide to go through with it but find they can't morph humans because of some technicality, maybe you can't morph into another of your own species or something.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Seems like she's about to expose herself to a controller, will probably have to kill him next. :ohdear:

Now I'm wondering what the plan for using Melissa actually is, I assumed they just want to grab her DNA for morphing but she just had an opportunity for that when she grabbed her arm but didn't. Were they planning to just ask her to spy on her dad instead?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I’m actually curious about the “how well does a bug hear” thing. :D

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought it was avoided killing humans.

Didn't they kill that one policeman already.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Curious, is morphing a "once you begin you gotta keep going" kind of process, or could you deliberately stop and remain in one of these in between stages.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Seems like if you are good you could theoretically morph say, just cat eyes for night vision and stuff.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I will guess the animorphs will eventually somehow acquire one of these Yeerkbanes and use it to free hosts.

Speaking of which, I do like how all these different aliens paint a picture of a much larger world in the background.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's an interesting dynamic in how the kids don't really trust each other (and rightfully so as we've already seen them keeping all kinds of stuff from each other). Here they correctly deduced Cassie needs a babysitter to make sure she sticks to the mission.

Marco - I absolutely get where he's coming from now, but as a kid I'm sure I would have hated him - he's that trope where one character in a group doesn't want to get along with the plot and won't stop whining about getting to have superpowers/adventures etc. But yea to adult me he actually seems to be the one in the group with some common sense.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Can they shift from animal to animal or do they need to go back to human first. :ohdear:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

We've seen that hosts can disobey in Tom, but not to this extend... That also seems to be the only potentially useful thing the kids learned from this though. On a whole even if they hadn't been captured this whole mission seems to have been a huge bust.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's kind of funny, nowadays they'd just have to get out their smartphones, record some of these aliens and anonymously post it all over the net.

But in their position all they could realistically do is like... start tracking down controllers and mauling them in bear morphs? But it makes sense a bunch of kids wouldn't be willing to start doing that just yet, especially now they got confirmation even the cooperative hosts are coerced.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The animorphs should acquire the morph of a funnel-web spider or something and just have another animorph deposit them onto Visser three.

Though I guess you could use the excuse of alien biology not responding to the venom.

Said it earlier, they should have kept that rifle.

Would a gorilla have enough dexterity to use a gun I wonder?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's weird how little actually happens book per book (presumably, but we are on chapter 18 and last book had 20 so I figure they get rescued/escape here but that's it for this one too). It works in thread format where we just move to the next one right away but I wonder how this was received back then, seems like it would be easy for kids to loose interest between books.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

I think because they came out once a month, it was just serialised enough to keep kids hooked. Worked for me, at least.

Oh yea that makes sense!

And I miscounted last book was actually 27 chapters so still room enough for a twist here. :downs:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

redcheval posted:

I am REALLY enjoying this group reread and would love to just plow on to the next book. I’m enjoying reading people post about the book.

Seconding this. :D

quote:

I'd printed it out on my word processor

Stuff like this makes it show it's age, googling suggests word processors are basically electronic typewriters. Would these have been common back then or is this showing Rachel is from an upscale household?

And weird Rachel would call out Melissa's father but not her mother in her letter.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 2, 2020

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

There was a case of weird phrasing in the first book too... Is this something that needed to be clarified back then? :D

quote:

That's how they feed the animals and give them meds or whatever. Meds are medicines.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

Tobias and his hawk crush here.

Let's hope the series won't go weird with this. :aaa:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea not a fan of Rowling's political views but she had said that Dumbledore is gay all the way back in 2007 when someone asked her about it during a signing for the last book, it's not a recent thing she pulled out of her rear end to make herself seem more woke, as the narrative goes.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wonder if they'll get a first win here, third time's the charm they say.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They should just all morph some wild ducks.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Makes me wonder how the yeerks even did their stuff before they got the Hork-Bajir and Taxxons. None of this tech seems the right size for small slugs.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What did happen to the morphing cube they used to get powers anyway, did the yeerks accidentally incinerate it with the andalites ship?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Open war would lead to a lot of dead humans, while they could bomb earth easily that would destroy the main resource they are after.

The fish plan is so dumb, can't wait to read how it goes wrong. :allears:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Agaragon posted:

This is just an overall observation, don't read too much into it...

But it genuinely amazes me how Animorphs never got put on any banned books lists. At least any that I'm aware of.

Probably because the book doesn't actually call out the suicide attempt explicitly. Like how when anime ran on kids networks none ever died, they "passed to another plane" or whatever.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

CidGregor posted:

First-run Dragonball Z dub was really fond of "sent to the next dimension." Even as a kid I thought that was cheesy as hell.

DBZ is arguably the one series where that works since that's pretty much what death is, you even get to train while there. :D

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Those two things go together about as well as cowboys fighting on horseback and spaceships, and yet, firefly

One of my favorite series (codex alera) started out because someone challenged Jim Butcher to write a mashup of lost roman legion / pokemon as part of a bet. :allears:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

For some reason I thought they can only mindspeak to each other. Being able to do that to anyone when in animal form opens up a ton of possibilities for them to anonymously tip up whoever about the invasion.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

Yeah that was quick thinking on Marco's part. Why did he even have a baseball

They were in a mall, probably grabbed it from a sports gear store.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lucky that Hork-Bajir is dumb and didn't shoot.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Lucky it was a Hork-Bajr controller and not a Human one, who might have knowledge about what proper behavior is for hawks.

They shot that deer, figure they were told to assume any animal is a potential andalite at this point.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Really, what they should have been doing is begin picking off known controllers. Go tiger next time Tom and his buddies have one of those beach parties, jump mr and mrs Chapman on their way to work etc.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Honestly not a bad idea, with their mind speak they could probably tell everyone at like an Uno meeting while being a literal fly on a wall or something. With all the world leaders hearing voices at the same time, they might not even dismiss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kchama posted:

If they tell someone and they turn out to be a Controller then they basically have to kill them on the spot like Cassie did to that cop. A pretty serious disincentive to running around telling people, because otherwise they're giving stuff away and will be under attack soon.

Just tell people telepathically while remaining unseen as some easy to hide animal.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I always thought they should kidnap known controllers and tie them up for a few days without revealing their own identities. Those people will already 100% believe in the Yeerk invasion and they can't turn traitor because they would get instantly snapped up and reinfected. Use those people to start isolated resistance cells and spread the word.

We've seen some people are doing this willingly or semi willingly, see Chapman. Might work with say Tom who they know isn't a collaborator, though we don't know if starving out a yerk wouldn't also kill the host or something.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 1, 2020